watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Richardson IS NOT a left back!!

Started by leonffc, December 29, 2012, 08:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

.......Can we please just be clear on this!!
I've read numerous posts of late stating how Richardson should play at LB / he was bought as cover for LB / his natural position is LB

He came through the ranks at ManUre as a left winger and was bought by Sunderland as a left winger. I've never been a fan of this bloke but he destroyed us about 4 years back playing on the left wing, or possibly even through the centre - I think it ended 0-0 or 0-1 but he hit the bar three times and had a goal disallowed.

To keep reading that he should be at LB is absurd.
• he is not a natural LB
• he was reportedly unhappy at being played LB at Sunderland (where he initially filled in due to injuries)
• Riise is struggling a bit of late - so do we really want to put another player struggling for confidence in an unfamiliar position of a struggling defence? He'll just become a bigger scapegoat that he already is!!

As I said, I'm no fan of the bloke but if we are to get the best out of him then it has to be to get behind the lad and support him in a position that he's comfortable with.

A Humble Man

Thank you for the clarification but he looks more like a defender than an attacker.  The lad has obviously lost confidence and Jol has found the arm round the shoulder method does not work and has therefore given him a pull yourself together lecture.

Hope it works as he obviously a talented player who has lost his way, but he may of course have had one of those injuries you never get over where you a frightened to go for it for fear of doing it again.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

FFCfan

Agreed he is not a defender. He is pacy, but when on the ball its all panic i can see from him. He needs to have a tequila shot or two before game to take the edge off just a bit  :beer:

leonffc

Quote from: A Humble Man on December 29, 2012, 08:44:55 AM

he may of course have had one of those injuries you never get over where you a frightened to go for it for fear of doing it again.

Like running or passing to a team mate :-/?

If that's the case then I'd worry even more about him throwing his body in the way of a shot or making that last ditch stretch of a tackle.

MJG

He only played about 5 games last season at LM/LW and the rest was at LB so I would say he can play there. But on the other hand he's been worse than Riise so does not deserve a start anyway.

leonffc

Quote from: MJG on December 29, 2012, 08:54:32 AM
He only played about 5 games last season at LM/LW and the rest was at LB so I would say he can play there. But on the other hand he's been worse than Riise so does not deserve a start anyway.

He doesn't deserve a start, very true.

I'm sure he played there because of a lack of LB (didn't the RB Bardsley also play there a lot?) and because their LW was keeping him out.
I'm sure i read he was unhappy playing there which could explain partly his leaving there as well as his drop in confidence.

Duffer played his last year at Newcastle in the LB position but I'd hate to see him
there for us, although he can do a good job there.

MJG

Quote from: leonffc on December 29, 2012, 09:03:41 AM
Quote from: MJG on December 29, 2012, 08:54:32 AM

He doesn't deserve a start, very true.

I'm sure he played there because of a lack of LB (didn't the RB Bardsley also play there a lot?) and because their LW was keeping him out.
I'm sure i read he was unhappy playing there which could explain partly his leaving there as well as his drop in confidence.

Duffer played his last year at Newcastle in the LB position but I'd hate to see him
there for us, although he can do a good job there.
I had a look at Richardson stats at Sunderland and he played most of his games at LB, a lot in the centre when he arrived and the rest at LM. It may be a reason he left but like many players who end up at full back, he's just a failed winger really.

Jamie88

I actually remember in his very early days at Manure, he was a right winger..
Not for one minute would I suggest he plays there though!

SmithyFFC

What is he then? His performance in midfield this season have been quite simply terrible!
FTID

Bassey the warrior

Oh. I'd heard he was. Well what's the point of him then?

St Eve

let's be really clear. He is not a left back, not a winger and not a mid fielder. He was a Jol panic buy when we lost Dembele and Dempsey. Ship him out

CurryForMario

Listen. On FIFA Ultimate Team he's a left back...hence he's a left back.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

MJG

Quote from: St Eve on December 29, 2012, 09:27:42 PM
let's be really clear. He is not a left back, not a winger and not a mid fielder. He was a Jol panic buy when we lost Dembele and Dempsey. Ship him out
we had been linked with him for weeks, so hardly a panic buy.

St Eve

Quote from: CurryForMario on December 29, 2012, 09:45:59 PM
Listen. On FIFA Ultimate Team he's a left back...hence he's a left back.
Oh!. OK then

St Eve

Quote from: MJG on December 29, 2012, 09:48:05 PM
We are linked with hundreds of players. He was a panic buy

MJG

Quote from: St Eve on December 29, 2012, 09:49:52 PM
I'm saying that Jol was after him before Dembele left. He was also coming in whatever happened to Dempsey. So no not a panic. I'm not saying hes a good or bad buy, but he was not a panic last day purchase.

St Eve

Quote from: MJG on December 29, 2012, 09:52:36 PM
I'm saying that Jol was after him before Dembele left. He was also coming in whatever happened to Dempsey. So no not a panic. I'm not saying hes a good or bad buy, but he was not a panic last day purchase.
Semantics. We are linked with hundreds of players and Jol had to do something quickly as soon as D and D went. He HAD to sign someone in the remaining hours. Richardson deal got done quickly. I wonder why. Sunderland must be relieved

MJG

Quote from: St Eve on December 29, 2012, 10:00:03 PM
Semantics. We are linked with hundreds of players and Jol had to do something quickly as soon as D and D went. He HAD to sign someone in the remaining hours. Richardson deal got done quickly. I wonder why. Sunderland must be relieved
I suggest you go back and look at the timings of the transfers and press around that time.

St Eve

Quote from: MJG on December 29, 2012, 10:04:52 PM
Quote from: St Eve on December 29, 2012, 10:00:03 PM
I suggest you go back and look at the timings of the transfers and press around that time.
I am well aware of who we were linked with at the time. When we lost D and D at the 11th hour we panicked and closed the Richardson deal.

JHunter_Fulham4Life

If I remember, they announced Richardson's signing about five minutes before the deadline and three minutes after Dembele went to Spurs, so I'd agree he was a panic buy. We expected to lose Demps, but I think Jol thought they'd hold onto Dembele. I wouldn't ship Richardson out, but we have to figure out some way of utilizing him, because I doubt we'll recoup what we paid if we put him up for sale.