watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sugar daddy's

Started by BedsFFC, December 30, 2012, 07:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BedsFFC

Once the rulers of Abu Dhabi took over Man City, I felt it changed the shape of English football and potential investors of other teams. What it means is that positions 1, 2 & 3 are pretty much tied up. From a wider perspective, this is pretty boring but I must admit I find it interesting to see where it leaves clubs like Liverpool in the short to medium term. You've now got a handful of clubs vying for fourth place and in many ways this is a more exciting battle as there is more to lose in terms of finance. Investors are essentially praying for a chance to get in the champions league as the only chance of a return.
The type of people who put in this investment are by definition, successful in their core business activity. So, you may say that they are doing it for fun more than a financial investment. That's very true but what fun can there be in throwing millions of pounds to only ever finish about 5th.

For Fulham, I think this is good news as if you split the division into 3 parts, the middle section becomes a far more equal place as the clubs like Everton, Liverpool, villa etc who would normally be expected to finish above us will be spending less money. I think it has already started and explains a new breed of clubs now seriously pushing for top ten (west brom, stoke, Swansea, Norwich)

Which brings me to the situation at qpr. As I understand it, they have tony fernadez's money along with the huge potential pot of the Mittals. A lot of backing but to what end. What could be the best possible scenario for a club like them assuming money is no object? 8th position? I'm sure the fans would be happy but how much fun is losing millions a never have the chance of winning anything.

This isn't really to do with us but I must admit I'm quite intrigued to see how the league pans out.

Despite our current form, I think we are firmly in the middle group. There is now way we will be allowed to flaunt with the lower end for too long. I imagine we will bring in a couple of players. I fully expect us to finish somewhere between 9th-14th.

Lighthouse

The top of the Prem has always been dominated by the clubs with money. What has changed is the silly money now thrown at City. Not sure it changes us much except we need better finance to keep us where we once were. But it seems we may go down as we are no longer investing in today but some future date in the long distant misty never never time.

Clubs like Arsenal will have to invest or continue to fail and every so often a club may come along and finish in the top six who we never expected. But for us the time for clever financial dealings was last Summer. But clearly it didn't happen. Fighting for survival is the best we can hope for now which is sad because we were so close to being a top six side.

But our present squad is nowhere near good enough for the middle group in this league. A few players either way is enough to change things.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Beefy

Very interesting topic that I never really thought about before. Does anyone have a list of who owns EPL clubs and how much money each club has?

Artful Dodger

Every club should be allocated a rich arab - that would even things up and make it much more interesting - sure wages would go even higher but think of the fun!!

On a more serious note, what will the financial fair play rules make any difference to the above? I imagine not, but it may control some of the crazy spending City and Chelsea have embarked on in the past.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Artful Dodger

Quote from: The Enclosurite on December 31, 2012, 07:48:16 AM
Try this Beefy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_club_owners

Interesting read - makes Mo look a pauper when you see Southampton's owner is worth £3bn! Mind you, West Brom look in trouble owned by the 80's comedians Hale & Pace!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

cebu

That wikipedia entry for MAF looks a trifle conservative. He allegedly sold Harrods for £1.5 billion. He also has more than just a finger in several other fairly large pies.