more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (31/12/12)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 31, 2012, 04:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Briggs: We'll Move On

While Saturday's defeat against Swansea City left defender Matthew Briggs deflated, the young left-back insists positives can still be taken.

Goals from Danny Graham and Jonathan De Guzman put the visiting Swans in front, but when Bryan Ruiz halved the deficit on 56 minutes, from then on, it was all Fulham. The Whites registered a staggering 22 attempts on the Swansea goal, however, an equalising strike proved elusive.

The Whites certainly had chances with Ruiz, Kerim Frei, Dimitar Berbatov and Giorgos Karagounis all going close as Martin Jol's side forced Swansea onto the back foot.

"I think a defeat was a bit harsh, especially when you consider how well we played after the break," said Matthew to fulhamfc.com. "After half-time we really came out firing on all cylinders. Their second goal came against the run of play, and they were a bit fortunate to get in the scoring position.

"We responded almost immediately with Bryan's goal, and in creating a number of other chances we really should have had more to show than just the one goal. We had a lot of shots at goal and really worked their 'keeper. For whatever reason, we just couldn't convert them.

"Swansea played well, particularly in the first half, but luck was on their side. We know that we could have done a lot better than we did in the opening period and they made the most of that, but that's what you have to do.

"For me, we deserved something, but often that's not how football works. We showed good character and probably should have got ourselves back in the game as a result. But when you go 2-0 down at this level you always give yourself a mountain to climb."

Appearing for the Whites for the first time since the 2-1 defeat of Wigan Athletic in September, Briggs looked assured – sound defensively and ambitious when moving forward.

"On a personal level, of course, it was great to be in the side and playing again," he said. "I've been working hard in training and I'm very thankful for the Manager for giving me the opportunity. The result spoilt things obviously, because it would have been nice to have helped take three points.

"Hopefully I did enough; I'm ready for the challenge and want to prove what I can do. First and foremost, as a defender, it's about keeping your opponent out. No one likes to concede and it's something we will work hard on.

"Going forward I always think I have a lot to offer, supporting the players in front and getting down the flank is something that comes very naturally to me. I thought I did that against Swansea, but saying that, I'm working really hard to become a more complete defender.

"There's a lot of football still to play, and I just want to be involved as much as I can."

The 21-year-old is hopeful his side can bounce back and claim three points when Fulham take on West Bromwich Albion on New Year's Day.

"We've had a tough time of late, and it's been difficult," added Matthew. "But we have to keep our heads up and keep working at putting things right. We know that we could have done better in some games, but there have been times where we have played well and still come away empty handed.

"We have to focus on the positives, because I think there is a lot that we can take from that second half against Swansea. We got the ball down, moved it and created a lot of opportunities – when we play like that we are a match for any team.

"The spirit was strong and it's important we take that into the next match. West Brom are a good side and they'r e having a good season so far. We're not where we want to be in the table, so three points on Tuesday will do wonders.

"If we play like we did in the second half against Swansea, then we will cause them [West Brom] problems and make life difficult. The finish to 2012 has been disappointing, so hopefully we can open 2013 with a victory."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/december/30/briggs-interview?

WhiteJC

Inside The Hawthorns

West Bromwich Albion supporter Adam Heal gives us the lowdown on his club ahead of the meeting with the Whites on New Year's Day.

What's your view of West Brom's campaign so far?

I think it's fair to say it's been a dream. Given the fact that a lot of the pundits had us down for a relegation scrap after the appointment of Steve Clarke in his first managerial role, it's been even more impressive. We've still come unstuck in some of our traditionally bad games (Swansea City away, Stoke City at home), but we've played some great football, and to be hovering around the UEFA Champions League places and effectively safe from relegation by Christmas is some going.

How would you assess Steve Clarke's time at the club?

It's always a gamble when you put someone into their first head coach position when he's been a number two for so long, so I think there was some nervousness from a lot of fans as to what the season would hold. But, he's taken the foundations from Roy Hodgson, brought in some quality players, and flourished. He's tactically very good, knows when to rotate his squad, and isn't afraid to think on his feet during games in order to get a win or to protect a lead. He also seems very modest and publically praises the players a lot, deflecting any praise from himself to them.

Have you noticed a change in playing style under Clarke?

Hodgson was very focused on the 4-4-2 formation, so yes there has been a big change with Clarke's preference for 4-5-1. This has made us quite solid at the back as he uses Youssouf Mulumbu and Claudio Yacob to sit in front of the back four and protect them. He also then uses the so-called 'free role' for one player behind the main striker and this has enabled us to attack very well, enabling the full-backs to get forward. The only slight issue is out wide when the midfielders don't track back and we can be exposed on the flanks.

What were the aims and expectations at the start of the season?

Quite simply to avoid relegation and get to 40 points in any way possible!

It's probably fair to say you've been the surprise package of the season. Can you maintain this form for the rest of the campaign?

As the halfway point approaches, we've played most teams in the league, so why not! The Africa Cup of Nations will hurt us a bit, as will suspensions, injuries and the possibility of some of our better performers getting approached in the transfer window. Realistically, we will probably drop a few places over the remainder of the season. But we do have a nice little cushion so fingers crossed.

What would qualifying for Europe mean to the Baggies?

Up until recently we hadn't really thought about it much, but as the 40-point mark gets closer and with us still being in a great league position, maybe it's time to have a reassessment! It would be amazing to think that we might be able to see some European football at The Hawthorns, and the ability that would give us to attract better players and keep growing as a club would be something that all Baggies fans would relish.

Who have been your star players this season?

There have been so many that are worth mentioning, but for me there would be three stand-out players - Yacob, James Morrison and Shane Long. Yacob was a free signing and could be worth millions, he doesn't get all the glory, but does all the nasty work and does it with simplicity - we really do miss him when he's out (as he currently is!). Morrison has been fantastic sitting just behind the striker and creates so much of the attacking play, and as for Long, he works hard, is so committed and is now contributing the regular goals that his play deserves.

Zoltan Gera remains a favourite at Craven Cottage – he's still banging in some spectacular goals for the Baggies isn't he?

Yes, he's a Hawthorns favourite as well. It's great to see him back and after losing him to injury for all of season, he's been like a new signing. His goals against Liverpool and Sunderland were class, but he has weighed in with others too.

Fulham beat the Baggies 3-0 earlier this season – you'll be looking for revenge on New Year's Day I imagine?

One of our worst performances this season was at Craven Cottage, but our home form is excellent so we will be looking for three points.

For those Fulham fans making the trip, what are the best things about visiting The Hawthorns?

It's a similar size ground to Fulham so the close-knit atmosphere is always good. There's usually some good banter between fans at The Hawthorns, and many times both sets of supporters join in the same songs when its a common theme! And, of course, the local delicacy that is the Balti Pie is always worth a try!

What's the one song Fulham fans are bound to hear?

There's a bit of a thing going on at the minute to mock our local rivals that we're now the top team in the Midlands so you'll definitely hear something related to that. And, of course, our 'The Lord's My Shepherd' rendition and 'Boing, Boing' will be heard.

Score prediction?

I'm going for a 2-2 draw. I think we may have a few injury problems by New Year's Day after a tough trip to Old Trafford to play Manchester United three days earlier.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/december/30/inside-the-hawthorns?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists results will improve when his injured players return

Fulham boss Martin Jol insists his pool will be boosted as much by returning players as it will by fresh blood in January.

The Cottagers have been plagued by injuries this season and have only recorded one victory in 12 games.

Mahamadou Diarra, Mladen Petric and Damien Duff will boost Jol's options when they return to action in the coming weeks.

Bryan Ruiz produced a man-of-the-match performance in the 2-1 defeat to Swansea following his return from injury on Saturday, and Jol reckons fortunes will change for the team when the other players are fit.

"If players come back from injury, I think that will freshen up the squad as well," said Jol.

"If we can do something in the market, we will try to that. But it's not easy.

"You know as well as I do that clubs will wait and wait until you have to pay the maximum price and we will not do that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8372349/?

WhiteJC

Fulham target Wolfsburg centre back Madlung to plug leaky defence

Fulham are understood to be closing in on a deal to sign Germany international centre back Alexander Madlung from Wolfsburg.

The Cottagers have struggled defensively this season with neither Aaron Hughes nor Philippe Senderos convincing as partners for experienced Norwegian Brede Hangeland.

Madlung, 30, has fallen out of favour at Wolfsburg and Sky Sports report that Fulham could snap up the two-cap international on a free transfer as the Bundesliga side look to slash their wage bill.

Target: Fulham are keen to sign Alexander Madlung from Wolfsburg

Meanwhile, Fulham boss Martin Jol has insisted the club do not need to spend their way out of trouble after watching his side crash to another defeat that sucked them ever closer to the Barclays Premier League drop zone.

Saturday's 2-1 loss to Swansea extended the Cottagers' miserable run to one win in 12 and left them just four points above the bottom three.

Fulham are beginning to look in dire need of reinforcements, but while manager Jol will dip into the transfer market when the window reopens on Tuesday, he is confident the return of injured players would be the real catalyst for a revival.

Bryan Ruiz certainly showed how much the Cottagers had missed him on Saturday with a man-of-the-match performance in his first start for six weeks.

Trouble: Fulham suffered another defeat at home to Swansea

And Jol is hoping the imminent recovery of Mahamadou Diarra, Mladen Petric and Damien Duff would have the same effect.

'If players come back from injury, I think that will freshen up the squad as well," said the Dutchman, who admitted the trio were unlikely to return for Tuesday's New Year's Day trip to West Brom.

'If we can do something in the market, we will try to that. But it's not easy.

'You know as well as I do that clubs will wait and wait until you have to pay the maximum price and we will not do that.'

Jol said of former Real Madrid midfielder Diarra, who has been plagued by injury this season: 'I think he needs another four or five days.

'Damien Duff is the same. Hopefully, he could play against West Brom, but I'm not certain.

'And Petric is the same. He will be back probably next week.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2254860/Fulham-want-Alexander-Madlung-Wolfsburg.html#ixzz2GbJ043e1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Christmas 3-Game Stretch: A Failure

This is the no-fun part of my job here. The part where we have to look back at a point in time when the fans needed the club the most, when they were supposed to right the ship and they sank, when they were supposed to come through and they fell on their faces.

The last 3 games was just that.  With fans worried at a 13th place table position, this was the moment they'd sieze the day and at least build up some wiggle room.  Instead, they dropped a place and mustered only a point. In 8 days Fulham managed 2 goals and conceded 7.  Out of 2 home fixtures featuring 9th place club and 18th place club, they picked up a draw and a loss.  There's no statistical analysis required to see what happened.

Why am I rehashing all this negative material? Because it's noteworthy.

Fans can play the blame game.  We can say it's the defense's fault for being porous.  We can say it's the offense's fault for allowing the early season goalapalooza to dry up.  We can say it's the manager's fault for not selecting the proper lineup or making the right substitutions or playing the correct tactics.  We can say it's the owner's fault for not buying players to help the team succeed.

But in reality, it's all of those things.

HOWEVER.

We also need to be rational. No, no matter what Martin Jol does in January, this club probably isn't going to complete the aspirations of top-7 that we had after the fantastic start to the year.  But thankfully there are also a handful of clubs who happen to be much worse than Fulham as well.  Are we in panic mode yet? No.

Nor should anyone be discussing sacking Martin Jol.  As much as bright sides don't matter when you're in the bottom of the table fighting to stay up, the loss to Swansea clearly showed a much better Fulham performance than we've seen in recent weeks, thanks in large part to the youthful squad Jol sent out.

If not for a defensive brain fart (which have eerily become more common this season) and an unfortunate gaffe by a goalkeeper just trying to make an impression, it'd have been a complete tactical domination.  No matter what Jol does, he can't jump on the pitch and play.  I'm sure he's aware this January is instrumental to his job security.  Let's see what the front office comes up with in the market, and then go from there.

It's a difficult position as a fan.  You want to hold someone responsible for the miserable holiday showing when the season was there for the seizing.  However it's also a time when the club needs to move on and turn a new leaf (again) in the transfer window.

The last week was a failure, and needs to be addressed.  The next month could determine the fate of the club for this year, and beyond.  Time to look ahead.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2012/12/30/christmas-3-game-stretch-a-failure/?

WhiteJC

Fulham near crisis point after defeat against Swansea... and here are the key issues Jol and Co need to resolve in the New Year

Among some rather vague comments about Dimitar Berbatov's best position and Fulham's January shopping policy, Martin Jol was adamant of one thing on Saturday evening.

Fulham's performance in the 2-1 defeat against Swansea was, he said, their best for two months. It must have been a cold winter for some supporters.   

Jol's team are now 14th in the Barclays Premier League and only four points clear of the bottom three. Their last win was five games ago; prior to that they had been winless in seven. A drama is fast becoming a crisis and, worryingly, there are numerous issues to resolve.

Cold winter: Martin Jol claimed that the 2-1 defeat to Swansea was Fulham's best performance in two months

Unlucky: Fulham were beaten 2-1 at home by Swansea

LOVERS AND FIGHTERS
Jol highlighted one of Fulham's key issues ahead of the Liverpool defeat earlier this month when he said his side had 'too many lovers, not enough fighters'.

Those comments came after a 2-1 defeat against QPR in which his side won nine tackles (their average at the time was 17) and their tally for the season is 259 – better than only Everton and Reading.

There is much to love about the way Fulham play, especially flair players like Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz, but, Steve Sidwell and the injured Mohamadou Diarra aside, there is no great physical presence in midfield.

Left-back Matthew Briggs, making his second league start of the season, lost a 50-50 against 5ft 5in Nathan Dyer on Saturday, which told its own story.   

OLD LEGS AND TOO MUCH TINKERING
Fulham have the division's oldest squad with an average age of 27.72 years and that might explain their propensity for niggly injuries and, also, why their attacks occasionally lack zip.

Their squad is loaded with guile but, in the absence of real pace, they sometimes lack an extra dimension, which makes them easier to defend against. Earlier in the season they had one of the most prolific attacks, and yet they have scored only five in their past eight games.

Tactically, Jol has been restricted by injuries and the departures of important players like Moussa Dembele, Clint Dempsey and Danny Murphy.

With them he hoped to play a dynamic 4-3-3, but since they left, and because of injuries, he has been forced to revert to 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 systems that he favours less. 

Departure: Jol saw the likes of Mousa Dembele leave for pastures new

Flying the nest: Clint Dempsey (left) followed Dembele to Tottenham

Me too: Jol let Danny Murphy (left) leave for Blackburn

Jol said: 'In May we had Murphy, Dembele and Dempsey in midfield. After that we had Diarra, Sidwell and Ruiz. Last week I played with Kieran Richardson, Giorgios (Karagounis) and Chris Baird... we cannot play in our formation the last three months.'
There is no denying the fine job Jol has done while overhauling the teams of Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes – only three of the 18-man squad that faced Swansea were involved in the 2010 Europa League final – but he seems unsure of what his best XI is. Indeed, he has retained the same players for consecutive games only once this season and on Saturday there were six changes.

AWAY DAY MISERY
The never-ending issue. Of their 11 completed Premier League seasons, they have never won more than five games on the road in a campaign (2003-04) and averaged three.

They have done so only once this so far season, when they beat Wigan 2-1.

JANUARY SALES
Jol admitted on Saturday that reinforcements are needed. Sportsmail understands he will enter the January market with a £10million budget and wants a goalkeeper, defender and midfielder.

Jol said: 'I have the chairman's number and if I need something I give him a phone call. So I gave him a phone call.

'Sometimes he gives me a call. I feel if everyone is fit we are good enough, but there are a few players who are a bit older, a bit injury prone, so we have to try to do something.'

Woeful: David Stockdale made an error for Swansea's second goal

Beneficiary: Jonathan De Guzman pounced to score the decisive goal

On the back of Saturday's showing, the goalkeeper search will take on added importance. Second-choice keeper David Stockdale had a shocker and the second goal was a 'Christmas gift' to Swansea, according to Jol.

Regular stopper Mark Schwarzer, 40, was out with a neck injury, but after years of impressive performances he is having a relatively poor season behind a leaky defence (only five teams have conceded more than Fulham's 36).

CAUSE FOR OPTIMISM
Bryan Ruiz. He missed six games with injury, but on his first start since November 18 he was Swansea manager Michael Laudrup's man of the match.

His partnership with Berbatov is lovely to watch and can be extremely effective with the right support.

'He was one of our best players so I'm very happy that he's back to his old level and that he's pulling the strings,' Jol said.
When fit, Ruiz has the ability to get Fulham scoring again and the points should follow.

Every cloud... Bryan Ruiz (left) has dazzled behind the frontman this season

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2254910/Fulham-Martin-Jols-issues-resolve-2013.html#ixzz2GbJr7or3

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on defender Madlung and midfielder Boateng in January window

Fulham are hoping to conclude a deal for Wolfsburg defender Alexander Madlung.

The 30-year-old former Germany man is out of contract in the summer and has failed to agree new terms.

Target: Fulham are keen to sign Alexander Madlung from Wolfsburg

Fulham are also hopeful of agreeing terms with Dnipro midfielder Derek Boateng, 29.

Reading are keen on Nancy winger Lossemy Karaboue. The 24-year-old has also attracted interest from Aston Villa.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255058/Fulham-keen-Alexander-Madlung-Derek-Boateng.html#ixzz2GbKsKtSu

WhiteJC

Fulham must capitalize vital January as pressure mounting on Martin Jol

How bad was Fulham against Swansea this weekend? Swansea came to Craven Cottage without danger man Michu and yet they scored twice against the Cottagers.

The home side despite enjoying a lion share of possession could not penetrate Swansea defence in the first half, while Swansea – well organized as ever – pounced on slightest of opportunity and got the much needed break through from striker Danny Graham.

In the second half, Fulham tried to get past the shackles of torpor. Bryan Ruiz was at the fulcrum of most of the attacks while they pushed more men in the box. Despite getting one goal back, they failed to breach the Swansea defence again.

So, the defeat leaves Fulham struggling at 14th place with only 21 points. After their abject performance against Liverpool away, Martin Jol, the manager, needed response from the players but in their next two home games, they could only manager just one point.

Well, they ended the year on a disappointing note, but if they want to turn the tide they have to capitalize on the January fixtures of New Year. They play two home games against Wigan and West Ham and they must look to earn maximum points from those two fixtures. They are not expected to win against Manchester City at Etihad while away to Hawthorns won't be an easy fixture either. You don't expect too much from a team that have won only one single game away from home, and suffered five defeats.

Therefore, home results are key to Fulham's progress and positive results in January could life that spirits bit high.

http://footylatest.com/fulham-must-capitalize-vital-january-as-pressure-mounting-on-martin-jol/38156?

WhiteJC

West Brom - Fulham Betting Preview: Berbatov to score in a game filled with goals
The Cottagers are in woeful form as they travel to the high-flying Baggies, but Al Hain-Cole thinks that their quality attackers can take advantage of some key defensive injuries

After a promising start to the season that had some mentioning possible European qualification, Fulham have now just won one of their last 12 matches, and now face the daunting task of a trip to West Brom.

The Baggies, on the other hand, will be in buoyant spirits after recording their best ever start to a Premier League season under the canny leadership of new boss Steve Clark, and are favourites at even money (2.00) with Paddy Power to record their eighth win in 11 home games.

The Cottagers' notoriously poor away record has shown no signs of going away this season, and they are outsiders at 14/5 (3.80) to collect all three points on the road for just the second time this term.

Both meetings between these two sides ended in a draw last season, and you can get odds of 12/5 (3.40) on them cancelling each other out once again here.

Although they may have started looking nervously over their shoulders at the teams in the relegation zone, Martin Jol's side can take comfort in the fact that they have enough quality up front to fire themselves out of trouble.

The Cottagers have scored more than any other team in the bottom half of the league, to make up for a defence that has leaked a worrying number of goals this season.

With West Brom missing the key defensive trio of Jonas Olsson, Claudio Yacob and Youssouf Mulumbu, Clarke's men are unlikely to boast the steely resolve that has been one of their main strengths this season, and the likes of Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz are sure to get some joy.

A bet on both teams to score would have paid out in 20 of this pair's last 30 combined Premier League matches, and looks safe at 4/6 (1.67) in this encounter.

Dimitar Berbatov implored his team-mates to 'Keep calm and pass me the ball' recently, and the one-time Premier League top scorer's pedigree in front of goal means that he may have a point.

The mercurial striker was used in a more withdrawn role during Bryan Ruiz's absence through injury, but the return of the Costa Rican playmaker should see him return to his favoured position up front.

The former Manchester United man is one of the division's most gifted forwards, and offers great value at 2/1 (3.00) to hit the back of the net at the Hawthorns.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2994/betting/2012/12/31/3638861/-?

WhiteJC

Jol's Duff Hope

Martin Jol is hopeful he will have two of his most experienced squad members back at his disposal for our New Year's Day clash with West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns (12.45pm).

Mark Schwarzer sat out Saturday's defeat by Swansea City, while Damien Duff has missed our last three matches.

"I feel that Mark could be back for the game against West Bromwich," Jol said. "And I hope that Duff will come back too.

"Ashkan Dejagah has been in and out. He was good; we tried to build him up and he showed some very good signs of being a very good player, but he had to play all these games for the first time almost.

"He didn't play all the games at VfL Wolfsburg so hopefully Damien will be back to unload him a bit because there are a few players who have had to play all the games and this is not what you want.

"If Mladen Petrić had been fit then I probably could have played with him in the second half [against Swansea]. Now I have to play with the same players all the time."

Another man who has been missing in action for some time is Mahamadou Diarra, who has not pulled on a Fulham shirt since 1st December.

"I played Diarra when he was 50 per cent because he's an old war horse," Jol explained. "But now he wants to get back to his full fitness and I feel that he's very close."

After a difficult couple of months for his side, Jol will be keen for the Whites to kick-start their season in the Barclays Premier League's first match of 2013.

"Swansea was probably our best performance over the last couple of months," our Manager said. "But we have to pick ourselves up.

"There is not a situation that we can change the Team in five or six positions so a lot of players in my Team have to play again and that means they've had played a lot of games."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/december/31/jols-duff-hope?

WhiteJC

West Brom winger has no regrets over Fulham exit

ZOLTAN Gera insists he has no regrets leaving Fulham as he prepares to face his former club for the first time tomorrow.

The West Brom winger was an unused sub when the Whites brushed the Baggies aside at Craven Cottage earlier this season, but is gunning for revenge when Martin Jol's men visit The Hawthorns.

Gera grabbed 15 goals in 121 games during his three-year stint at Craven Cottage before rejoining West Brom in 2011.

He was one of their star performers on the way to the Europa League final in 2010, scoring vital goals against Juventus and Hamburg.

But the 33-year-old insists he's happy at West Brom and has no regrets over his decision to leave SW6.

He said: "In the last six months I knew I wasn't in Mark Hughes's plans, so when I had the chance to return to West Brom I was really happy.

"I had four great years there before I joined Fulham, and I knew Roy Hodgson, so I think I made the right decision.

"I had already promised to join West Brom before Martin Jol came in. I was looking forward to going back and always felt one day it would happen.

"Sometimes when you're not in a manager's plans you have to move on, that's life. I didn't have any bad feeling towards Mark Hughes. It was his decision and I respect that."

Gera admits there will be an added spice to the game as he looks to impress against his former team-mates.

Fulham have won just once in the last 12 games, but Gera reckons his old side will still turn things around.

"When I play my old clubs I always feel good about it because it adds extra motivation," he added.

"When you have a good reputation at that club you want to go back and impress.

"They have lots of injuries and haven't been able to field the same team every week. They have a strong squad and I'm sure they will be fine.

"They have good players and a good manager, so I don't think they have anything to worry about it."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2012/12/31/82029-32521456/?#ixzz2Gdw5uk3z

WhiteJC

West Brom v Fulham
By Steve Bower
BBC Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: The Hawthorns Date: Tuesday, 1 January

TEAM NEWS

West Brom boss Steve Clarke has fitness concerns over a host of key players.

Youssouf Mulumbu, Jonas Olsson, Goran Popov, Steven Reid and Claudio Yacob are all doubts after missing the defeat to Manchester United.

Fulham are hopeful first-choice goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has overcome the neck problem that caused him to miss the loss to Swansea.

Mahamadou Diarra, Damien Duff and Mladen Petric are unlikely to return from injury.

MATCH PREVIEW

These two clubs begin the new year in contrasting moods.

Twelve months ago West Brom were mid-table with 22 points under Roy Hodgson.

Understandably there were concerns amongst Baggies fans when they lost their manager to England and a few still unsure when Steve Clarke replaced him. But the fact that they are 11 points better off a year later, with their highest-ever total at this stage means those doubts have long since been forgotten.

The real foundation of the success story so far has been their form at The Hawthorns which will hardly lift Fulham's current spirits. By last January, West Brom had only won twice at home. Contrast that with this season where they've taken 22 points from a possible 30, losing only to Manchester City and Stoke City.

The challenge for them now is to maintain that kind of form and consistency in the remaining 18 games which could see them remain on the fringes of the top six.

The current target for Fulham is quite simple - get back to winning ways. Just one win in their last 12 games has undone their promising start to the campaign and it has them currently looking a little apprehensively over their shoulder.

There was huge frustration that the recent home games with Southampton and Swansea brought just one point, particularly with the familiar theme of their away form. I witnessed their only win so far away from Craven Cottage, at Wigan in September, where they looked solid and dangerous on the break.

Martin Jol will know those qualities will need to be on show again as he returns to the club for whom he once played, or the year could start as uncomfortably as it ended.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
Fulham are unbeaten in their last four games with West Brom.

The Cottagers have never won at The Hawthorns in six previous Premier League encounters.

In fact, there has never been a win by the away side in this fixture in 12 Premier League matches.

West Brom
The Baggies have won just one match after falling behind this season. They have lost on all five occasions when they have trailed at half-time.

West Brom have 33 points, their highest-ever tally at this point of a Premier League season.

But, they have won just two of their last seven league matches.

Fulham
Fulham have won only one of their last 12 Premier League games (W1 D5 L6) and are now just four points clear of the relegation zone.

Sixteen of the 20 Premier League games involving Fulham this season have produced three or more goals scored.

Martin Jol's side have won just once away from Craven Cottage this season

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20840909?

WhiteJC

High-flying West Brom can outscore free-falling Fulham
Back the Baggies to beat Martin Jol's unhappy travellers 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 at great football betting odds of 5/1.

At every new year's gathering there's always a balance between those reflecting on a great past 12 months and those thinking the changing of the calendars can't come quick enough.

That's how fans of West Brom and Fulham are likely to be feeling come New Year's Day, with Baggies followers still basking in the glory of the first half of their Champions League-challenging campaign, while Lilywhites loyals will be hoping 2013 also marks a new start to a season that has gone off the rails following a run of just one win in their last ten games.

With West Brom flying high in seventh place on the back of the second most home wins in the Premier League and Fulham suffering their usual away struggles with just one road win all season, Steve Clarke's team are rightly favourites at 19/20, with the draw 11/5 and an away upset 14/5.

Only the two Manchester clubs have picked up more points than West Brom in home fixtures and a win at half-time and full-time over a side who've lost both halves on nine occasions this season seems possible at 11/5.

However, Clarke's team have tended to leave their best form for after the interval, winning six of ten second halves on their own patch, so 17/4 for draw/West Brom and 7/5 for the Baggies to win the second half look good value.

The home team have also saved the majority of their goals for the second period and an opening goal of the game after the interval for West Brom is 21/20, with joint top scorers Shane Long and Romelu Lukaku both 6/1 to get it.

New customers using the free £20 bet they receive when registering with bwin could make a great start to the new year with an impressive £600 win should West Brom complete a 2-1 victory behind a Lukaku opener.

Yet Fulham don't travel to the Hawthorns without hope, despite their poor form, having been much the better side in the reverse fixture back in September when they emerged 3-0 victors.

Should star forwards Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz hit the form of the autumn, then Martin Jol's men can pose a clear goal threat to a side who've kept just two clean sheets since September and it's 7/10 for both teams to score.

But even with the confidence those records will give Fulham, their faltering form and the Baggies' home comforts lead me to believe Clarke's team will emerge entertaining victors at 2-1, 3-1 or 4-1 at a cracking price of 5/1.

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/high-flying-baggies-outscore-faltering-fulham,34820.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham sweating on Schwarzer ahead of West Brom trip

Fulham were today hoping Mark Schwarzer would be fit to return for their New Year's Day clash at West Brom.

David Stockdale had a nightmare deputising for the injured Schwarzer (neck) in Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Swansea, and manager Martin Jol was keeping his fingers crossed his number one would be back at The Hawthorns tomorrow.

Damien Duff is battling to be fit but the game is set to come too soon for Mahamadou Diarra and Mladen Petric.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Stockdale, Etheridge, Riether, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Dejagah, Baird, Sidwell, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Kasami, Duff, Ruiz, Rodallega, Berbatov.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_sweating_on_schwarzer_ahead_of_west_brom_trip_1_1756681

WhiteJC

West Brom v FULHAM: Schwarzer could return but Diarra and Petric ruled out

Fulham were today hoping Mark Schwarzer would be fit to return for their New Year's Day clash at West Brom.

David Stockdale had a nightmare deputising for the injured Schwarzer (neck) in Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Swansea, and manager Martin Jol was keeping his fingers crossed his number one would be back at The Hawthorns tomorrow.

Damien Duff is battling to be fit but the game is set to come too soon for Mahamadou Diarra and Mladen Petric.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Stockdale, Etheridge, Riether, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Dejagah, Baird, Sidwell, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Kasami, Duff, Ruiz, Rodallega, Berbatov.

In the frame: Mark Schwarzer is set to replace David Stockdale in goal for Fulham

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255319/West-Brom-v-FULHAM-Mark-Schwarzer-return-Mahamadou-Diarra-Mlanden-Petric-ruled-out.html#ixzz2GdxyRcXD

WhiteJC

West Bromwich Albion v Fulham: match preview
Read a full match preview of the Premier League game between West Bromwich Albion and Fulham at The Hawthorns on Tuesday Jan 01 2013, kick-off 12:45 GMT.

Pain in the neck: Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer (left) is hoping to recover from a neck injury in time to face WBA
Photo: PA

West Bromwich Albion v Fulham
The Hawthorns
Kick-off: 12.45 GMT
TV: Live Sky Sports 1, Highlights BBC ONE Match of the Day

WBA (Possible, 4-4-2): Foster; Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell; Mulumbu, Thorne, Dorrans, Rosenberg; Odemwingie, Long.
Tests: Olsson (groin), Reid (ankle), Popov, Mulumbu, Yacob (all hamstring).

Fulham (Possible, 4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Riether, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise; Dejagah, Sidwell, Karagounis, Frei; Ruiz; Berbatov.
Out: Etheridge (leg), Davies (hip), Diarra (knee), Petric (leg).
Tests: Schwarzer (neck), Duff (calf).

Referee: Mike Dean (Matches 13, R1 Y49).

Team News
West Brom check several players ahead of the home Premier League clash with Fulham.

Defenders Jonas Olsson (groin), Steven Reid (ankle) and Goran Popov (hamstring) and midfielders Youssouf Mulumbu and Claudio Yacob (both hamstring) all missed the 2-0 defeat at Manchester United.

Midfielder George Thorne could make another start against the Cottagers after impressing at Old Trafford following his recall from a loan spell at Peterborough.

Fulham, meanwhile, are hoping Mark Schwarzer will be fit to return at West Brom.

David Stockdale endured a difficult time when deputising for the injured Schwarzer in Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Swansea, and manager Martin Jol is keeping his fingers crossed his number one will be back at The Hawthorns.

Match Notes
Steve Clarke's squad is stretched as he prepares for his fourth game in ten days but remains adamant there will be no transfer activity at the Hawthorns this month.

Albion's hopes of a return to Europe remain alive and Clarke made seven changes against Manchester United last weekend in a bid to orioritise and keep his team fresh for the visit of Martin Jol's unpredictable side.

Fulham have only one victory from their last 12 games and the nature of recent defeats have increased fears it could be a nailbiting end to the campaign.

Betting: Home Evs, Away 13-5, Draw 5-2.

Stat of the game: In six Premier League visits to The Hawthorns, Fulham have never won.

John Percy's prediction: West Bromwich Albion 3 Fulham 2.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9759031/West-Bromwich-Albion-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

WhiteJC

Premier League Tips: West Brom to bag another victory

After an unlucky couple of weeks with our Premier League Fixed Odds selections, I'm confident that the new year will be a prosperous one and I aim to kick it off in style. Here are my New Year's Day selections:

West Brom v Fulham 
Back West Brom @ 2.0 (1/1) 
West Brom to win 2-0 @ 10.0 (9/1) 

West Brom seem to have put their recent blip behind them with two wins in their last three and I think they should have more than enough for a struggling Fulham at the Hawthorns.

If you'd have offered Steve Clarke seventh place at the turn of the year back in August he would quite clearly have snapped your hand off, but that's exactly where the Baggies find themselves at this stage of proceedings. After a slight wobble that saw them lose three on the bounce, they have turned things around with two wins and a draw from their last four, with the only defeat coming at Old Trafford.

Their form at the Hawthorns has been first class; played 10, won seven, drawn one and lost two, conceding just seven goals and keeping five clean sheets. They are a well organised unit, yet have flair players like Peter Odemwingie who thrive on breaking down the opposition.

Fulham are on a bit of a slippery slope at the moment and one win in 12 has seen them drop to 14th place. The loss at home to Swansea last time out was their third in four and they look a shadow of their former selves, despite the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov initially masking the departures of Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele.

Martin Jol's side have lost three of their last four away from the Cottage, scoring just one goal and conceding seven. I just can't see how they're going to cause West Brom any problems and I strongly fancy a home win here, with 2-0 looking a touch overpriced at 10.0 (9/1).

http://betting.betfair.com/football/premier-league/premier-league-tips-west-brom-to-bag-another-victory-311212-35.html?

IranianCottager

Why isn't Frei in the provisional squad?

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Stockdale, Etheridge, Riether, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Dejagah, Baird, Sidwell, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Kasami, Duff, Ruiz, Rodallega, Berbatov

fulhamben

fr
Quote from: IranianCottager on December 31, 2012, 04:53:48 PM
Why isn't Frei in the provisional squad?

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Stockdale, Etheridge, Riether, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Dejagah, Baird, Sidwell, Karagounis, Kacaniklic, Kasami, Duff, Ruiz, Rodallega, Berbatov
om his twitter, he is en route to birmingham. so id say he was in the squad
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.