https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (01/01/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 01, 2013, 05:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Premier League: West Brom v Fulham match preview
A look ahead to this week's Premier League fixture at The Hawthorns

West Brom and Fulham surprised many with their form at the start of the season, but only the former has been able to sustain it. After five months of former Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool assistant Steve Clarke at the helm, the Baggies start 2013 in a strong position for European qualification.

As for the Cottagers, who have fallen to 14th, relegation looks a more likely – albeit improbable – destination than a third Europa League campaign. Martin Jol's side, although benefiting from the firepower of mercurial striker Dimitar Berbatov, have not kept a clean sheet in six games.

Fulham's record signing Bryan Ruiz, who played 45 minutes against Southampton on Boxing Day and started against Swansea will continue. Martin Jol will also be hoping Mark Schwarzer returns following the nightmare display by understudy David Stockdale in their last outing. Goran Popov and Claudio Yacob, both signed by West Brom in the summer, are likely to be ruled out of the clash.

KICK-OFF: Tuesday, 12:45pm

PAST THREE MEETINGS...

Fulham 3 (Berbatov 2, Sidwell) West Brom 0, Premier League, September 2012

Fulham 1 (Dempsey) West Brom 1 (Tchoyi), Premier League, February 2012

West Brom 0 Fulham 0, Premier League, September 2011

STATS...

Fulham are without a victory in four Premier League games, following losses to Swansea, Liverpool and QPR, and a draw with Southampton.

West Brom have won seven of their 10 league games at home. Fulham, in contrast, have only picked up three points on the road once.

Fulham hit the woodwork 24 times in 2012; the second-highest amount, alongside Manchester United and Everton.

West Brom, currently in the Europa League spots, have the lowest goal difference in the top half of the table (three).

ODDS...

West Brom to win: 2.1

Fulham to win: 3.75

Draw: 3.5

TV: Live on Sky Sports 1 HD at 12:45pm, highlights on BBC1 at 10.25pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/premier-league-west-brom-v-fulham-match-preview-8434160.html

WhiteJC

New Year. New Run.
by LYDIA on DECEMBER 31, 2012

New Year is always filled with promises of a new start. Most people have some sort of New Year resolution that is usually forgotten about by mid-February but that is all just part of the fun. 2012 has been an unbelievable year for sport and we have all seen some extraordinary things especially with the Olympics on home soil in the summer. We witnessed what was probably the most thrilling finish to a Premier League season ever with Agueros' goal in the dying seconds of a match that they really should have comfortably won against QPR at home. The drama was crazy and I would imagine that it'll be a long time before we see anything like that again.

Unbelievable end to last season

For Fulham fans, our year has been filled with ups and downs- typical really! We lost a number of major players, some going rather more respectably than others! Some of the football we played in the last calendar year has been simply brilliant and that along with some excellent signings in the summer filled many of us with optimism about what this season was going to bring. We started well with a dominating display against Norwich and then the goals just kept flying in as we kept the form going. We have taken part in a lot of goal-fests, something we are not used to as Fulham fans.

The class of Berbatov arriving at Fulham excited many

It may have been fun at the time but as we look back we wonder how we managed to throw away points so late in so many games. We now find ourselves just 4 points above the drop zone after a number of extremely shakey performances and the panic is beginning to settle in. The run we are in at the minute is absolutely terrible, we can't deny that. But we cannot for one second think that Jol doesn't realise that! The boos at the end of recent matches isn't helping matters and it just makes the players make more mistakes when they don't feel the support of their own fans. Most fans are continuing to cheer and support the boys but unfortunately the boo-boys are often the ones who the media puts all their attention to.

It always seems to be raining for Fulham at the minute. But all rain storms have to end!

I'm hoping that Fulham can leave the bad form in 2012 and when we kick-off againstWest Bromin 2013 a new run will begin! Tomorrows match will be extremely difficult but we have left ourselves in a position were we need to pick up at least a point and to do that we are going to have to play as a team and we need to cut out the individual mistakes that have proved costly in the last two games at least.West Brom are a very good team so we need the likes of Ruiz and Berbatov to be on form. And even more importantly, we need our defence to tighten up! A good display tomorrow, a win in the FA cup next week and a win against Wigan at home the following week will leave us in a much better position both physically and mentally. I also think the addition of a central midfielder will go a long way to ensuring we avoid a relegation battle! We are a good team, just on a very bad run. All runs, whether good or bad, come to an end. Let's hope this one ends soon!

Just keep believing, guys.

COYW

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2012/12/new-year-new-run/?

WhiteJC

Duff comeback: Martin Jol to shuffle the pack for West Brom trip

Damien Duff is set to return to the Fulham lineup for their trip to The Hawthorns to face West Brom.

Martin Jol hopes to welcome back Damien Duff for the trip to West Brom - and give Ashkan Dejagah a break.

The Irish winger has missed Fulham's three games over the Christmas period, which have yielded a solitary point, while summer signing Dejagah has played them all.

Jol has been frustrated by injuries, with the midfield particularly badly hit.

He said: "Dejagah's had to play all these games for the first time - he didn't play all the games at Wolfsburg.

"Hopefully Damien will be back to unload him a bit, because there are a few players who had to play all the games and that is not what you want."

Mahamadou Diarra is another midfielder who has been out of action, last playing on December 1.

Jol hopes to welcome him back soon - although then he could lose him all over again, this time to the African Nations Cup.

He said: "I played him at 50% because he is an old war horse. Now he wants to be fully fit and I feel he is very close.

"Hopefully he is not at full fitness to play in the African Nations Cup, but is fit enough to play for us.

"If Diarra is back in there it will be a very strong midfield again."

First choice keeper Mark Schwarzer could also be fit to return. Understudy David Stockdale had a poor display in the Cottagers' 2-1 loss to Swansea on Saturday.

Team News
West Brom could be without defenders Jonas Olsson (groin), Steven Reid (ankle) and Goran Popov (hamstring), plus midfielders Youssouf Mulumbu and Claudio Yacob (both hamstring).

Mark Schwarzer (neck) and Damien Duff are Fulham doubts, with Mahamadou Diarra and Mladen Petric definitely out.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-boss-martin-jol-to-shuffle-1513011?

WhiteJC

Key injuries to Fulham leave Jol in a jam

Martin Jol admitted he can do little to shake up a Fulham squad in freefall ahead of Tuesday's trip to West Bromwich Albion. Jol returns to the club where he once starred as a player in the midst of the worst run of his managerial career. But his hopes of turning around a sequence of one win from 12 are being constrained by injuries to key men.

"We have to pick ourselves up and there's not a situation where we can change the team in five or six positions," said Jol, whose side have dropped to within four points of the relegation zone. "And that means that a lot of players in my team have to play again and they've played a lot of games. There's a little bit of tiredness."

Jol made six changes for Saturday's defeat to Swansea but one of those was bringing back the fit-again Bryan Ruiz and another was forced by an injury to goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer. The loss of Schwarzer was particularly felt, with his understudy David Stockdale at fault for both of the visitors' goals.

Kick-off 12.45pm Referee M Dean (Wirral) TV Sky Sports 1 (Highlights 10.25pm, BBC 1).

Odds: WBA Evens Draw 12-5 Fulham 11-4

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/key-injuries-to-fulham-leave-jol-in-a-jam-8434321.html

WhiteJC

STEVE CLARKE CALLS FOR WEST BROM REVENGE MISSION

WEST BROM are looking to take revenge for their worst beating of the season against Fulham.

The Cottagers put three goals past the Baggies – something Manchester United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal have not managed – when Martin Jol's side completed a 3-0 victory at Craven Cottage in September.

"We have to bear in mind that earlier this season Fulham turned us over," said West Brom manager Steve Clarke.

"They are one of the few sides who beat us comfortably."

Fulham have since slumped from the top six in the Premier League to 14th with one win in their past 12 games.

"It is surprising to see where Fulham are now but I'm sure they'll look back on their display against us and hope they can replicate it and move back up the table," added Clarke. "I will remind my players of how poorly we played in that game, but also I'll remind them of how well we have done this season."

Albion's results have dipped slightly since they reached third place just over a month ago, with only two victories in their past seven games.

"We lost three in a row and didn't score for five hours, so in football things can turn very quickly," said Clarke.

Jol admits he has few options to stop Fulham's slump with injuries to key individuals leaving him with little room for manoeuvre.

"We have to pick ourselves up and there's not a situation where we can change the team in five or six positions," said Jol, whose side are now within four points of the relegation zone.

"That means that a lot of players in my team have to play again and they've played a lot of games. There's a little bit of tiredness."

Jol is hopeful Mark Schwarzer, his first-choice goalkeeper, will recover from a neck injury in time to return to the side but was less certain about the fitness of winger Damien Duff.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/368045?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

West Brom v Fulham (12:45 GMT)

West Brom have generally been really good at home. They reacted to a little bad spell by winning a couple of games before the defeat at Manchester United in their last match.

They are challenging for a European place, although I don't think they will ultimately get it. I think they will finish in the top 10, which for West Brom's resources is a real achievement.

They have got players who are courted by teams above them in the league and they are an extremely well coached and well run club.

Fulham are in a bit of a mess at the moment. They have a goalkeeping problem, with David Stockdale having to play instead of Mark Schwarzer and conceding the two goals in the loss to Swansea.

It was not a good performance against Swansea and they are getting sucked into the relegation battle. I do think when everyone is fit, available and playing well - by virtue of their home form - they will be fine.

Steve Wilson's verdict: More travel sickness for the Cottagers, 3-1.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20790407

BB

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 01, 2013, 05:31:50 AM

New Year. New Run.

New Year is always filled with promises of a new start. Most people have some sort of New Year resolution that is usually forgotten about by mid-February but that is all just part of the fun. 2012 has been an unbelievable year for sport and we have all seen some extraordinary things especially with the Olympics on home soil in the summer. We witnessed what was probably the most thrilling finish to a Premier League season ever with Agueros' goal in the dying seconds of a match that they really should have comfortably won against QPR at home. The drama was crazy and I would imagine that it'll be a long time before we see anything like that again.

For Fulham fans, our year has been filled with ups and downs- typical really! We lost a number of major players, some going rather more respectably than others! Some of the football we played in the last calendar year has been simply brilliant and that along with some excellent signings in the summer filled many of us with optimism about what this season was going to bring. We started well with a dominating display against Norwich and then the goals just kept flying in as we kept the form going. We have taken part in a lot of goal-fests, something we are not used to as Fulham fans.

It may have been fun at the time but as we look back we wonder how we managed to throw away points so late in so many games. We now find ourselves just 4 points above the drop zone after a number of extremely shakey performances and the panic is beginning to settle in. The run we are in at the minute is absolutely terrible, we can't deny that. But we cannot for one second think that Jol doesn't realise that! The boos at the end of recent matches isn't helping matters and it just makes the players make more mistakes when they don't feel the support of their own fans. Most fans are continuing to cheer and support the boys but unfortunately the boo-boys are often the ones who the media puts all their attention to.

It always seems to be raining for Fulham at the minute. But all rain storms have to end!

I'm hoping that Fulham can leave the bad form in 2012 and when we kick-off againstWest Bromin 2013 a new run will begin! Tomorrows match will be extremely difficult but we have left ourselves in a position were we need to pick up at least a point and to do that we are going to have to play as a team and we need to cut out the individual mistakes that have proved costly in the last two games at least.West Brom are a very good team so we need the likes of Ruiz and Berbatov to be on form. And even more importantly, we need our defence to tighten up! A good display tomorrow, a win in the FA cup next week and a win against Wigan at home the following week will leave us in a much better position both physically and mentally. I also think the addition of a central midfielder will go a long way to ensuring we avoid a relegation battle! We are a good team, just on a very bad run. All runs, whether good or bad, come to an end. Let's hope this one ends soon!

COYW

I for one, reserve the RIGHT (having paid for my seat), TO BOO VERY LOUDLY, at any Fulham team, manager, director or player that has not delivered, played poorly and not given every last ounce of effort, blood, sweat, tears and pain.  I am fed up to the back teeth of hearing about 'tired' players who have had to play a few games in what they (and Jol), consider to be a short space of time. Man up and get a pair of balls, I don't hear any complaints from these jokers, who are very happy to be pick up in excess of a years salary (for a normal working man or woman), for just one week's worth of 'work'?? They don't have a bloody clue what work is....

It's tough at the top. If the poor little lambs, don't like hearing the 'boo boys', I suggest that they put a real shift in. Show us all how much they really care, by passing to players wearing the same colour shirt, challenge for every ball and every second ball. Stop constantly passing the ball sideways 3 yards and making their stats look really good on OPTA (you know who you are!). I want to see the players crawl up to the Hammersmith End at the end of the game (not the half way line!!), sweat running down them, gasping for breath and give the long suffering Fulham fans, the respect and the applause that we deserve, for paying and watching the pile of dross that has been served up in the past 4 weeks and for who knows how long, at 95% of away games

Its New years Day, my resolution is to BOO even LOUDER, every time that a Fulham player cocks it up or does not put in some real bloody effort... I am a Fulham fan, I do care and if you don't like it.. you can bugger off, double quick!! COYW's and KTF!  :014: :014: :014:

ScalleysDad

Morning.
Good post imho. Opta stats can even make the Exeter frontline look good.

lamby

Quote from: BB on January 01, 2013, 07:32:51 AM

Its New years Day, my resolution is to BOO even LOUDER, every time that a Fulham player cocks it up or does not put in some real bloody effort... I am a Fulham fan, I do care and if you don't like it.. you can bugger off, double quick!! COYW's and KTF!  :014: :014: :014:

I have never understood why anyone would boo their own team. It is like going to watch your own son playing football and booing him when things are not going well. You want your team to do well, and I don't think booing will help the team to play better.

HatterDon

Quote from: BB on January 01, 2013, 07:32:51 AM

New Year. New Run.

COYW

I for one, reserve the RIGHT (having paid for my seat), TO BOO VERY LOUDLY, at any Fulham team, manager, director or player that has not delivered, played poorly and not given every last ounce of effort, blood, sweat, tears and pain.  I am fed up to the back teeth of hearing about 'tired' players who have had to play a few games in what they (and Jol), consider to be a short space of time. Man up and get a pair of balls, I don't hear any complaints from these jokers, who are very happy to be pick up in excess of a years salary (for a normal working man or woman), for just one week's worth of 'work'?? They don't have a bloody clue what work is....

It's tough at the top. If the poor little lambs, don't like hearing the 'boo boys', I suggest that they put a real shift in. Show us all how much they really care, by passing to players wearing the same colour shirt, challenge for every ball and every second ball. Stop constantly passing the ball sideways 3 yards and making their stats look really good on OPTA (you know who you are!). I want to see the players crawl up to the Hammersmith End at the end of the game (not the half way line!!), sweat running down them, gasping for breath and give the long suffering Fulham fans, the respect and the applause that we deserve, for paying and watching the pile of dross that has been served up in the past 4 weeks and for who knows how long, at 95% of away games

Feeling better now that we've told off Lydia, are we?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel