Thursday Fulham Stuff (22.04.10)

Started by White Noise, April 22, 2010, 09:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8636425.stm

From the Cottage to the Continent  

Fulham will hope to return to Hamburg for the final on 12 May

By David Ornstein 

Vilnius. Perm. Sofia. Rome. Donetsk. Turin. Wolfsburg. Hamburg. It looks more like a list of destinations you could fly to for £9.99 on a low-cost airline, but it actually tells the remarkable story of Fulham's trailblazing adventures through Europe this season.

With more than 18,000 miles on the clock, Roy Hodgson's men have effectively travelled three-quarters of the way round the world to reach the Europa League semi-finals and the journey has not been without its pitfalls.

"I decided to drive to the Wolfsburg away game but didn't realise there were two Wolfsburgs in Germany," Fulham Supporters' Club spokesman John Aitkin told BBC Sport.

"I accidentally typed the wrong Wolfsburg into my sat-nav and ended up 350km away from where I needed to be."

Travel problems notwithstanding, Fulham's foray into Europe - only their second in the club's 131-year history - is a tale of managerial excellence, the growing bond between a group of players and relentless work on the training field.

It all started nine months ago on a scorching summer's day in Lithuania, where the Cottagers beat FK Vetra in the third qualifying round, before moving on to west-central Russia for the qualifying play-off second leg against Amkar Perm.

And while the victories over Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus and Wolfsburg made the wider football world take note, it was those unheralded early travels that laid the groundwork for the drama that was to follow.

"We've spent a lot of time away from our families and grown closer as a squad," centre-back Chris Smalling told BBC Sport.

"These are people who normally you might only speak to now and again on the training ground but this season we've been on long flights and in hotels together, so you develop a real bond.

"The group stage gave Roy a chance to play a lot of fringe players, so when you get this far in the competition everyone feels a part of the European adventure."

Enormous credit must go to Hodgson, whose shrewd dealings in the transfer market and meticulous planning on and off the pitch have paid dividends.

He not only rejuvenated the likes of Danny Murphy and Simon Davies, but identified unheralded talents such as Brede Hangeland and experienced players who had fallen out of favour at their previous clubs - Mark Schwarzer, Zoltan Gera, Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff to name but four.

Hodgson employs a simple but effective 4-5-1 formation featuring an uncompromising defence, a robust but creative central midfield and two wingers who can both track back and push forward to support lone-striker Zamora in attack.

"The right players have certainly been brought to the club," said Hangeland, who helped Fulham to a club-best seventh in the Premier League last season. "The players all buy into what the manager wants to achieve.

"This is a team built on organisation and resilience, the philosophy is about everyone working for the team and trying to limit space for the opposition and their time on the ball.

"We have done so much work on making sure we know our roles and what needs to be done - so much so that I think every player could now write a book on it!"

Over the course of his 34-year managerial career, Hodgson has brought European football to Malmo, Neuchatel Xamax, Blackburn, Viking and now Fulham.

He also led Inter Milan to the 1997 Uefa Cup final and constructed the side that Luigi Simoni took one step further a year later.

"Roy is one of the best managers around," said 20-year-old Smalling, who will join Manchester United this summer after impressing Sir Alex Ferguson. "He's been to many other countries and his knowledge of European football is second to none.

"That's especially important as you get to the latter stages of the competition because you need someone with a cool head, someone who's been there and done it before. He's passed that on to us and he's been a big, big influence."

Hodgson will hope that influence extends to his players in Hamburg on Thursday, and then in the return leg at Craven Cottage a week later.

His opposite number Bruno Labbadia is currently under intense pressure and the 1983 European Cup winners cannot contemplate missing out on the final at their home stadium.

Knocking out some of the best teams in the competition has given us the belief that we're good enough to beat anyone - now we're one round away from the final and it would be bitterly disappointing if we didn't get there

Leading their attack will be former Manchester United hitman Ruud van Nistelrooy, who scored 10 goals in nine games against Fulham during his time in England, but the loss of his strike partner Mladen Petric to a groin injury is a big blow.

And with Saturday's defeat by Mainz ending Hamburg's 12-game unbeaten home record, Fulham will arrive in high spirits - despite the arduous 600-mile drive they were forced to take because of the closure of British airspace after the volcanic ash cloud.

It is all a far cry from the final day of the 2007-08 Premier League season, when Murphy's 76th-minute winner against Portsmouth saved the Cottagers from relegation on goal difference alone.

"This is a new experience for us," said supporter Aitkin. "We know it's probably not going to happen again next season so we've got to enjoy while it lasts.

"We've been to cities and stadiums we never thought we'd see Fulham play in, it's been an unforgettable time.

"Tickets are much more affordable in Europe - Wolfsburg was £20 - and many of us have tried to be economical by sharing cars and hotel rooms wherever possible.

"None of us expected to spend so much money because we never thought Fulham would get this far - but how can you complain about costs when you're in dreamland?"

The experience has been just as rewarding for the players.

"In every round we've managed to surpass expectations and each time you go a step further you become more and more hungry to go all the way," explained Smalling.

"We've already knocked out some of the best teams in the competition and that's given us the belief that we're good enough to beat anyone.

"Now we're one round away from the final and it would be bitterly disappointing if we didn't get there."

Beat Hamburg over two legs and a return to the HSH Nordbank Arena beckons on 12 May.

That would provide a dream finish to what has been a fairytale adventure.

White Noise

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/english-football/roy-hodgson-has-become-a-destroyer-of-reputations-but-there-is-nothing-random-about-fulham-s-europa-league-romp-1.1022281

Roy Hodgson has become a destroyer of reputations but there is nothing random about Fulham's Europa League romp

Richard Wilson

21 Apr 2010

Roy Hodgson has enhanced his reputation by dismantling others.

His Fulham side have displayed the impertinence of upstarts in defeating Wolfsburg, Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk on their way to 
the Europa League 
semi-final against Hamburg. The progress has been unexpected, but it relies upon a profound sense of order.

Few managers spend more time working on training-ground routines than Hodgson. His players are meticulously instructed, as every routine is devised specifically for the next fixture, and at times Fulham have performed with a measured restraint that has foiled more illustrious opponents. Even so, if the thinking is regimented, it still allows room for incredulity.

Fulham have defeated Liverpool and Manchester United this season, but it is European competition that has proved most invigorating. Few would have predicted that a 3-1 defeat to Juventus in Turin could be overcome, but logic was discarded in Fulham's 4-1 victory in the return leg at Craven Cottage. "We should retire, because it's not going to get any better than this," Hodgson said in the heady aftermath.

He was being facetious, but the Fulham manager would never allow himself to fall into hyperbole. His entire management career has been based on imparting method and discipline into teams. Occasionally, there have been accusations of rigidity, but Hodgson's sides are never sterile. Fulham seldom deviate from 4-4-2 and the wide players, while expected to track back, are encouraged to be audacious.

Hodgson, at 62, is a contemporary of the coaching beliefs that shaped the likes of Don Howe, Bobby Robson and Terry Venables. He does not lead a team by the magnetism of his personality (although he is a captivating individual), and he is distrustful of the cult of managerial celebrity. His faith is that in being scrupulous, and devising a wholesale strategy, will bring reward.

"Every day in training is geared towards team shape," says Simon Davies, the midfielder. "It's certain drills defensive, certain drills attacking, and we work very hard at it. There are no diagrams. It's all on the pitch with the ball, nothing unopposed. We do a lot of work after every game on analysis, sorting the bad things out, sorting the good things out."

The results have been vindicating. Fulham were 19th when Hodgson replaced Lawrie Sanchez in December 2007, and the remainder of the season was spent on the verge of relegation. It was Diomansy Kamara's late winning goal against Manchester City, when Fulham fought back from 2-0 down at half-time, that prompted a surge of optimism. They won their following two games to stay up, on goal difference, at Reading's expense. The following season, Hodgson's side were seventh in the league, Fulham's highest finish.

Mavericks are too temperamental to fit into Hodgson's conscientious approach, so Jimmy Bullard was sold to Hull for £5m and some of the money spent on Dickson Etuhu, an industrious, hard-running midfielder. Other signings have included Bobby Zamora, a striker whose career needed to be rejuvenated, Andrew Johnson, a proven goalscorer, Mark Schwarzer, a dependable goalkeeper, and Brede Hangeland, an imposing centre-back.

"He changed the whole way we were playing," said Danny Murphy, the midfielder. "He made us more of a footballing team than the direct-ball team under Lawrie. His knowledge of the game, his philosophies . . . he has that temperament a manager needs. He never gets too down, and he doesn't let us get too carried away when we're having a good spell."

Fulham's rise has been achieved with self-effacement. Hodgson has sought players willing to work on behalf of the team rather than their own prominence. In spending frugally, and wringing the most out of his players, Hodgson has become a sage-like figure. He is the kind of manager who would instantly restore credibility to Celtic, but his work has been so persuasive that there is already a conviction that he is the ideal candidate to follow Fabio Capello as the England manager.

He might be wary of the acclaim. Despite a management career at club and international level that was accomplished, a dismal spell at Blackburn – the only club to have sacked Hodgson – seemed to have prejudiced opinion in England. A player with Tonbridge, Gravesend & Northfleet, and Maidstone, Hodgson has had to strive for eminence.

He took Internazionale to the Uefa Cup final in 1997, only to lose to Schalke, but has won five league titles in Sweden and Denmark. Hodgson has also managed three international sides, most notably Switzerland, who he took to the finals of the World Cup and the European Championships.

His stature has never been greater, but the prestige has accumulated over time. Fulham, in their humility, seem appropriate. Ahead of the away leg of the quarter-final against Wolfsburg, the German press did not ask about team selection, but whether or not Hugh Grant, a Fulham supporter, would be attending. Hodgson would have smiled wryly; he is comfortable being unassuming.

White Noise

NB - There is also a video report on this report. Click the link at the bottom to go to the page with it on.

Fulham stay on road to the Europa League final with a motorway kickabout

By Laura Williamson in Hamburg

Last updated at 8:13 AM on 22nd April 2010

Fulham players were reduced to training at the side of a motorway near Bremen after a traffic jam made their seemingly never-ending journey just that little bit longer.

Roy Hodgson's side finally arrived in Hamburg for their Europa League semifinal at 4pm on Wednesday, more than 24 hours after leaving west London.

An accident on the Autobahn on the final leg of their 595-mile journey meant the two coaches carrying Fulham players and staff were at a standstill for three hours - giving the players time to stretch their legs at the side of the road.

The delay meant the players were sitting on a coach for 17 hours before the biggest match in the club's history.

Hodgson said: 'Liverpool were luckier than us in that they could travel by train (to Madrid). Our 17 hours was spent totally on a bus, unless you count the 30 minutes it took to cross the English Channel.

'The plan was to arrive here at 1.30pm to have lunch, which would've given us all afternoon for the physio to work with the players. That has all got lost on the way, which is a further disadvantage, but I hope that won't hamper us.'

Hodgson read The Bridge by Iain Banks and the players listened to music, tried to follow Inter Milan's Champions League semi-final against Barcelona on a TV with an intermittent signal and watched films. 'The NeverEnding Story, that was it,' quipped Mark Schwarzer.

The goalkeeper added: 'We're fighting an uphill battle with the trip that we've made, so it's going to be really tough for us.

'The motivation is definitely there for Hamburg to play the final in their own stadium but with that comes extra pressure. They're expected to get there. They're the ones under pressure. They are the favourites to get through, even more so with the circumstances that have arisen in the past week.'

A timely reminder of the daunting task ahead for Fulham came in the form of former Manchester United and Real Madrid striker Ruud van Nistelrooy. The Holland forward will be 34 in July but looked sharp in training at the Nordbank Arena as he stayed behind after training yesterday to practise beating his man.

Van Nistelrooy attracted interest from 'Tottenham, West Ham, Fulham and some others from the Premier League' before joining Hamburg in the January transfer window, but it was only the length of the contract on offer that prevented a move to White Hart Lane.

He said: 'I was in serious negotiations with Spurs. I had a very good conversation with (Tottenham boss) Harry Redknapp. That was all fantastic. We couldn't agree terms, though.

'Tottenham only offered me a six-month contract. That wasn't ideal for me, with a family to get over to England just for six months.'

The striker has won league titles in Holland (twice, in 2000 and 2001, with PSV Eindhoven), England (in 2003 with United) and Spain (2007 and 2008, with Real Madrid). He has also scored 62 goals in 90 appearances in UEFA competitions and is second on the all-time Champions League scoring list behind Real Madrid's Raul.

But he has never progressed beyond the semi-finals of a European competition. The last time he was in the last four, in 2002, United went out to Bayer Leverkusen on away goals.

But after recovering from the knee surgery in November 2008 that effectively brought an end to his career in Madrid, Van Nistelrooy has found the old goalscoring grove - scoring five goals in 14 appearances for Hamburg.

He said: 'I'd like to make the World Cup. I want to be a part of the Holland squad but I know my position as well. I know I haven't played (internationally) since Euro 2008 due to my injuries and stuff. 'But I hope that, one way or another, there's a role there - maybe a Becks role type of thing. Super sub, why not? It's my last chance.'

Van Nistelrooy, who worked under England boss Fabio Capello at Madrid, also regards Fulham striker Bobby Zamora as a genuine World Cup contender.

He said: 'Zamora is an effective striker. He's very important for the team. He holds the ball, he's a team player, works hard and he's an all-round striker.

'He can score and he's got more skills than you might think. He's definitely a candidate now, but Carlton Cole of West Ham is also in the picture.

'But getting through against these teams and scoring goals in these European games, it makes Zamora more attractive for Capello.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1267884/Fulham-stay-road-Europa-League-final-motorway-kickabout.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0loal2rWf

White Noise

Martin Keown: Why Fulham can't trust my old enemy Ruud van Nistelrooy

Last updated at 12:43 AM on 22nd April 2010

Moment of madness: Martin Keown shows his delight after Van Nistelrooy missed a late penalty

Ruud van Nistelrooy was up there with the best strikers I played against but you couldn't trust him - which is why I ended up losing my rag with him.
The fundamental thing about him is that he was always looking to test referees. He was strong and physical when he wanted to be but when he was in and around the box, he went down like a pack of cards. You would go into a strong challenge one minute and he would bounce off it. The next, he would be rolling around on the ground.

Every challenge brought a different reaction so you started to think twice about making them when you were near the box. That was annoying and if you compared him to someone like Mark Hughes, who was quite consistent in the way he played, he was difficult because he just fell over when it suited him. It used to infuriate me.
Fulham have to hope tonight that referee Claus Bo Larsen - and the five assistants he has in the Europa League - will help them with such dubious incidents.

Fulham's defenders can't let him affect their thinking but they need to be aware of what he is capable of because he is such a clinical finisher. He has that arrogance in front of goal that all the top strikers have. He's always on the shoulder of the defender, he's got good movement and he's very good at recognising the movement of other players and darting into the space they had come from.
Van Nistelrooy is intelligent too and he was the first player to take advantage of the change in the offside rule, which meant players were onside if they weren't interfering with play.

We would play a high line at Arsenal and he would sit behind our line in an offside position, often in between the left centre back and the left back. Then United would switch the ball out to the right to Beckham or Ronaldo and he would then have a 10 or 15 yard start on you when it came to getting to the cross into the middle, when he would be onside again. I don't know whether it was his idea or Sir Alex Ferguson's but he was cunning in the way he did it.

You could call it intelligence, you could say he was playing the rules to the limit or you could say there was an element of cheating going on. It was me feeling he had cheated which provoked that famous incident at Old Trafford in 2003 when I charged into him after he missed a penalty. It was the product of years of frustration playing against him.

In my opinion he got Patrick Vieira sent off that day. He feigned injury again. It was a game that was going nowhere and then it was like the Alamo. I gave a late penalty away and then you're standing thinking you're going to be ridiculed for that so when he missed, it was a case of giving him both barrels. It was all linked to getting Vieira sent off. I don't know what I was trying to achieve because I didn't come down on him to any real effect. It was just a case of intimidating a player.

You behave how you behave at the time and you look back and you can't believe it's you. But at the end of the day, we got a result and went the whole season unbeaten. You can't regret moments like that but when I got home, my wife said to me 'you've really gone and done it now'. It's become one of those iconic moments that the Arsenal fans love and the United fans just hate.
The only time I've seen him since was at the FA Cup final later that season. We shook hands, there was no animosity and we moved on. Van Nistelrooy has done well to come back from his knee injuries and still be going strong at 33. It will be interesting to see if he is still as good as he used to be. But Fulham must respect him or they might find my old enemy makes them pay a heavy price.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1267894/Martin-Keown-Why-Fulham-trust-old-enemy-Ruud-Van-Nistelrooy.html#ixzz0loc1zEJe

White Noise

Remember when the UEFA Cup was as much fun as the Europa League

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 12:22 AM on 22nd April 2010

With Liverpool and Fulham's exploits in the Europa League making it glamorous again, Sportsmail casts its mind back to the halcyon days when Europe's second cup competition regularly had us on the  edge of our seats...

Two-legged finals 

Two-legged finals In the days before fixture congestion, the UEFA Cup final would span 180 minutes - and sometimes more. After the transformation from the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, the first final was an all-English affair in 1972, when Tottenham (right) beat Wolves 3-2 on aggregate.

England dominatepurs lost to Feyenoord

- inspired by Wim van Hanegem - in the 1974 final in a match marred by hooliganism, but Liverpool won it twice as England started to dominate in Europe. They beat Borussia Moenchengladbach in '73 and Bruges in '76, opponents they would later defeat in European Cup finals.

Movie stars

Ipswich players starred alongside Michael Caine and Sylvester Stallone (right) in the film Escape To Victory in 1981 but still had the strength to lift the 15kg trophy, beating AZ Alkmaar 5-4 on aggregate in the final.

Tottenham Spotspur

Tony Parks was the hero as Spurs beat Anderlecht on penalties to win in 1984 - he saved two, one from Eidur Gudjohnsen's dad Arnor - but that campaign was tarnished by scandal years later when a former chairman of the Belgian club confessed to bribing the referee ahead of the second leg of their semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

Golden own goal

More heartache than celebration for British teams in the 21st century. Arsenal, Celtic, Middlesbrough and Rangers have all lost in the final. But Liverpool beat Alaves 5-4 in extra time in 2001 when Delfi Geli (above, right) scored a 'Golden Goal' ... into his own net.

Tutti fruttiItalian teams dominated the competition through the Nineties - winning it eight times in an 11-year stretch - but Roy Hodgson's Inter Milan team, which included Paul Ince, lost the final on penalties to Schalke in 1997.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1267888/Remember-UEFA-Cup-fun-Europa-League.html#ixzz0locidQsB

White Noise

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=290753&cc=5739

Dempsey lift for Fulham

Competition Stats  
  Hamburg SV  Fulham  
Goals  Marcus Berg 4  Bobby Zamora 3  
Reds  Guy Demel 1  Danny Murphy 1  
Yellows  David Jarolim 3  Jonathan Greening 5  
·   Club Squads : Hamburg SV | Fulham  

Last Five Matches in Competition  
Hamburg SV  Fulham  
A: Standard Liege 1-3  A: VfL Wolfsburg 0-1  
H: Standard Liege 2-1  H: VfL Wolfsburg 2-1  
A: Anderlecht 4-3  H: Juventus 4-1  
H: Anderlecht 3-1  A: Juventus 3-1  
A: PSV Eindhoven 3-2  A: Shakhtar Donetsk 1-1  
· Club Results: Hamburg SV | Fulham  

Next Five Matches in Competition  
Hamburg SV  Fulham  
22/4  H: Fulham  22/4  A: Hamburg SV  
29/4  A: Fulham  29/4  H: Hamburg SV  
· Club Fixtures: Hamburg SV | Fulham  
Updated: April 21, 2010, 10:07 PM UK

Fulham have been handed a boost ahead of the Europa League semi-final clash with Hamburg by the return of Clint Dempsey from a thigh injury.

Manager Roy Hodgson has a full squad to choose from after all his players came through their 17-hour coach journey to the German city unscathed.

Long-term absentee Andrew Johnson (knee) remains the only player to miss out through injury while John Pantsil, Stefano Okaka and Nicky Shorey are all ineligible.

Mark Schwarzer admits Fulham will find it hard win after completing a 27-hour journey to the German city.

The Cottagers arrived in Hamburg at 4pm on Wednesdayafter an arduous coach trip which began at their training ground in Surrey yeson Tuesday.

After abandoning their planned flight aboard a private jet due to the volcanic ash cloud, the squad crossed the channel aboard two luxury coaches on the Euro tunnel before driving to the German city of Munster.

They were then left at a standstill for three hours as they attempted to drive to Hamburg thanks to a lorry crash on the motorway they were travelling on.

The squad finally arrived at their hotel before heading to take part in a training session at the Hamburg Arena, where they will begin their bid to make their first European final.

The squad took breaks throughout their trip in a bid to keep fit ahead of the game, which is arguably the biggest in their 141-year history.

Schwarzer says spending 17 hours on the road has brought the team closer together, but admits the long journey has left the team facing an struggle.

"We're fighting an uphill battle, really, with the trip that we've made so it's going to be really tough for us, but we'll try and do what we can,'' said Schwarzer, who made the UEFA Cup final with Middlesbrough in 2006.

"Hamburg are expected to get to the final now. They are the favourites to get through, even more so with the circumstances that have come about.

"The atmosphere on the journey has been very good though. We have a very good relationship anyway in the team.

"A really long trip can either pull the team part or to the contrary and I'd say it's pulled us all together.''

Hamburg defender Dennis Aogo hopes to erase the disappointment of last year's UEFA Cup semi-final exit by winning the Europa League on home soil next month.

The Bundesliga side take on Fulham almost a year after being knocked out of the UEFA Cup by bitter Bundesliga rivals Werder Bremen.

This season Hamburg have beaten the likes of Celtic, Anderlecht and PSV Eindhoven to make the last four of the revamped competition and are favourites to reach the final at the Hamburg Arena on May 12.

A win over Roy Hodgson's side would guarantee Bruno Labbadia's team a mouth-watering clash against Liverpool or Atletico Madrid.

Aogo has been key to the team's success this year and hopes a win over the Cottagers will ease the pain which he has and his team-mates have had to endure for the last 12 months.

"We all remember the semi-final last year and it hurt,'' the 23-year-old said.

"Those of us who were there want to put that right now and what better motivation can we have than playing in our home stadium?

"That is the real drive that drives us on.''

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6107965,00.html

Hodgson bemoans Hamburg haul

But journey won't stop Fulham boss believing

Last updated: 21st April 2010   

The Cottagers, who have been the surprise package of this season's tournament, have endured an arduous 27-hour journey to the German city due to the flight restrictions imposed due to the cloud of volcanic ash across much of the continent.

After abandoning their planned flight aboard a private jet, the squad crossed the channel aboard two luxury coaches on the Euro tunnel before driving to the German city of Munster, where they spent Wednesday night.

They were then left at a standstill for three hours as they attempted to drive to Hamburg thanks to a lorry crash on the motorway they were travelling on.

The squad finally arrived at their hotel before heading to take part in a training session at the Hamburg Arena, where they will begin their bid to make their first European final.

Not ideal
Hodgson has been forced to change his pre-match plans but is keen for his squad to recharge their batteries ahead of the first leg showdown.

"The plan was to arrive here at 1.30pm to have lunch and that would have given us all afternoon for the physio to work with the players," Hodgson said.

"Because of the delay, they didn't get to look at them until 5pm, which is further disadvantage, but that I hope won't hamper us.

"It will be a little bit harder for us. It is not ideal preparation for an important game. Now we've got the night here and we can relax and rest.

"We're going to be playing top class opposition and an away game in Hamburg is always going to be hard."

Uphill battle
And goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes their lengthy journey has helped bring the squad closer together, although he too feels they will be at a disadvantage.

"We're fighting an uphill battle, really, with the trip that we've made so it's going to be really tough for us, but we'll try and do what we can," said Schwarzer, who made the Uefa Cup final with Middlesbrough in 2006.

"Hamburg are expected to get to the final now. They are the favourites to get through, even more so with the circumstances that have come about.

"The atmosphere on the journey has been very good though. We have a very good relationship anyway in the team.

"A really long trip can either pull the team part or to the contrary and I'd say it's pulled us all together."

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/teams/england/7617968/World-Cup-2010-Bobby-Zamora-deserves-England-call-up-says-Ruud-van-Nistelrooy.html

World Cup 2010: Bobby Zamora deserves England call up, says Ruud van Nistelrooy

Hamburg and Holland striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has backed Fulham's Bobby Zamora to be included in Fabio Capello's squad to travel to South Africa this summer.

By Telegraph staff

Published: 9:00AM BST 22 Apr 2010

The 19 year-old, who is yet to have been called up to the England senior team, has scored 19-times for Fulham this season leading many, including Van Nistelrooy, to back him for a place at the World Cup 2010.

"Bobby has earned the right to be taken seriously in international football," Van Nistelrooy told the Sun. "I don't think Capello looks at the fashionable things he just looks at the effectiveness more than anything else.

"Zamora is an effective striker, he's very important for the team. He holds the ball, he's a team player, works hard and he's an all round striker.

"He can score and he's got more skills i think than you could imagine. He's definitely a candidate now but Carlton Cole is also in the picture. Maybe he's a bit like Zamora.

"Now he can also prove himself on a European level which is very important for him.

"Getting through against theses teams and scoring goals in these games it makes him more attractive to Capello."

Zamora has a possible seven matches remaining this season in which to impress Capello and secure himself a place on the plane to the finals.

Fulham take on Hamburg in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final tonight before travelling to Everton in the league this weekend.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6108418,00.html

Ruud hoping for final spot

Van Nistelrooy hoping to beat Fulham

Last updated: 22nd April 2010   

Ruud van Nistelrooy is hoping he can fire Hamburg past Fulham and into the Europa League final.

The Cottagers have been the surprise team of the tournament so far, dumping out holders Shakhtar Donetsk along with the likes of Juventus and Wolfsburg.

They now face Hamburg at the Nordbank Arena - where the final will also be held.

Van Nistelrooy is now excited at the prospect of another European final.

"People, including the manager, were surprised that I wanted to come to Hamburg after playing for United and Real Madrid. But after overcoming my ankle injury, which kept me out for 16 months, I just wanted to get my career back on track," he said.

"What I obviously didn't expect was that I would be in my second European semi-final in my career, and I couldn't have thought it would be with Hamburg.

"I had one with Manchester United against Bayer Leverkusen, which we lost, so it would be amazing to reach a European final with Hamburg.

"I knew Fulham from my time in the Premier League, although they weren't at this level then. So, to reach something like this is amazing.

"They can beat anyone. That's what they've proved. We're aware of that. We have to be very careful.

"They are a Premier League side who play week-in, week-out against the best teams with the best players, so it will be a big test."

White Noise

Road Trip Review

Wednesday 21st April 2010

Fulham FC News

After arriving in Hamburg on Wednesday afternoon Mark Schwarzer spoke to fulhamfc.com and explained that Fulham's road trip to Germany will not distract the Team from the job at hand on Thursday night.

"It was actually fine for such a long journey," said Schwarzer. "We had plenty of chance to chat and watched a few movies along the way. It was long, but it was fine.

"The atmosphere has been very good, but we have a very good atmosphere within the squad anyway. A long trip like this can either pull the team together, or it can cause some friction and I'd say with us it has pulled us together.

"There are things that you have to be careful of. It's natural that you can suffer dehydration when you're travelling long distances, whether that be by plane or by bus, so we had access to plenty of food and plenty of fluid on the bus.

"We had three hours to walk around a motorway today [Wednesday], so we got plenty of exercise then! But obviously you can get up and move around the bus.

"Of course, it's not ideal preparation, but it's what we've had to deal with so we've accepted it fully and got on with it. You have to deal with these things as best you can.

"The amount of travelling is always an issue. Whether you start the tournament at the very beginning, or come in at the group stages, there's always a lot to do before you reach a Semi-Final or Final.

"Obviously we have clocked up the miles and this time around it hasn't been ideal, but that's the fact of the situation and there's nothing we can change about that.

"I, for one, am used to travelling long distances, travelling around the world with Australia. We're footballers and we get paid to play football, and sometimes that's not in the most ideal situation, but we have to get on with it and hopefully perform at our best come the game tomorrow night."

Schwarzer is clearly determined to make the most of Fulham's opportunity in Hamburg on Thursday night and is hoping Fulham can benefit from the extra pressure the home side face as favourites.

"The motivation is definitely there for Hamburg to be able to play the Final in their own stadium, but with that comes extra pressure.

"In many ways, at this stage of the tournament, they're expected to get there and without doubt they're the favourites to go through, even more so given the circumstances that have arisen over the last week or so.

"We're fighting an uphill battle really with the trek that we've made and it's going to be very tough for us, but they have the pressure on them, and we'll try and do what we can."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/SchwarzerHamburgPreMatch.aspx#ixzz0lofv1HgU

White Noise

A Massive Boost

Fulham FC News

As the Team finally arrived in Hamburg on Wednesday afternoon, fulhamfc.com caught up with Aaron Hughes and the defender is clearly looking forward to getting a feel for the HSH Nordbank Arena this evening ahead of Thursday night's UEFA Europa League Semi-Final (first leg). 

"It's been a long couple of days but we're almost there and we'll have a chance to have a look at the stadium and have a training session on the pitch tonight," said Hughes from the Team bus.

Roy Hodgson's side were boosted by the news that both Fulham Flyers will touch down in Germany on Thursday and Hughes is delighted that Fulham's loyal supporters will be present in Hamburg to witness arguably the biggest match in the Club's history.

"Having a bit of support in the stadium will be great," Hughes explained. "It's good for the supporters because it gives them the chance to come out and see the Semi-Final and it's not very often you get to see a European Semi-Final.

"In the European trips there's been a great atmosphere both at the Cottage and away from home so it's great that they've got the chance to get on a plane and come out.

"A lot of people are desperate to come and watch us - they've travelled so far following us throughout this competition. Now that the flights are back on, it will make life easier for so many fans."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/AaronsArrivalMessage.aspx#ixzz0logGykBj

White Noise

Hamburg Screening

Fulham FC News

Roy Hodgson's Team face Hamburg in the Semi-Finals of the UEFA Europa League, with the first leg taking place in Hamburg this Thursday, 22nd April.

If you are unable to travel to Hamburg, the Club would like to offer supporters the opportunity to cheer the team on from one of our stylish bars at Craven Cottage (doors open at 6:15pm).

Join fellow Fulham fans and enjoy some great food and drink offers in the comfort of a Craven Cottage lounge before watching the boys in Europa League Semi-Final action!

The event is FREE but we ask that supporters wishing to attend register their interest below.

Register your interest
Register your interest now   

Name*  Please enter your name
Email*  Please enter email
Telephone No 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/April/HamburgScreening.aspx#ixzz0lohO7zJS

White Noise

http://hammyend.com/?p=7013

Up next: Hamburg (a)

by Dan on April 22, 2010

The day's finally here. There's been more anticipation and anxiety about this stage of our European adventure than any other and that's not just because we're in the last four of a European competition for the very first time. All the uncertainty over whether the tie would go ahead and how the players and fans would make the trip out to Germany what with that friendly Icelandic volcano has almost made the football secondary. The fact that many people's plans have been disrupted or shelved by an angry volcano just as the Whites reach a major semi-final does strike you as rather Fulhamish.

The game itself should be a real ocassion. One of the legacies of Roy Hodgson's sterling achievements at the Cottage is that nobody takes us too lightly anymore. Hamburg will be aware of the threats posed by a well-organised and hardworking English side but will still be confident of taking a lead to London for the second leg. They do, of course, have the considerable carrot of a home final dangling in front of them as well.

They crashed out at this stage last year to bitter Bundesliga rivals Werder Bremen and are desperate not to avoid a similar fate this time around. Whilst their domestic form has been patchy – Hamburg sit in seventh as the German season draws a close – they are unbeaten in their seven European home games this year. With no Mladen Petric, most of the focus will be on Ruud van Nistelrooy, whose nine goals in ten games against us for Manchester United will strike fear into Fulham hearts.

I would take issue with the assertion of Hamburg coach Bruno Labbadia that we'll be sitting deep.

Fulham will play defensively with only one striker so we have to be very patient and pass the ball around.

A characteristic of Hodgson's planning and our away performances is that while we are pretty resilience, there's an onus to get forward and pose a problem as well. Knowing the value of scoring away from home, Fulham will surely look to get one. We've only failed to score in one of our European away games – and that was way back in August over in deepest Russia.

The strength of German sides in Europe is well known. Hamburg have the organisation and drive that seems to hardwired into the German teams but they also have plenty of creativity in their line-up. Captain David Jarolim can certainly play a killer ball as well as keeping things steady in midfield, whilst out wide the Whites will have to watch the exceptionally gifted Eljero Elia and keep an eye on Jonathan Pitroipa.

Hamburg are well staffed in the defensive department too so Bobby Zamora might not find it as easy to run wild on this particular European night. With the likes of Mathijsen, Rozenhal, Demel and Boateng able to play in the back line, the home side will probably be confident of shutting Fulham down. The massive x-factor is just how an ardurous coach journey, further held up by a crash on the autobahn yesterday as the boys finally arrived in Germany, will affect the team.

Hodgson conceded that the plan to give the physios some extra time to work on some weary bodies in preparation for kick-off tonight would need to be modified, but these boys have come through adversity more than once already this season.

MY FULHAM XI (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Baird, Konchesky, Hughes, Hangeland; Etuhu, Murphy, Duff, Davies; Gera; Zamora. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Kelly, Smalling, Riise, Dikgacoi, Nevland, Elm.

White Noise

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/04/22/hamburg-vs-fulham-europa-league-semi-final-team-news-bet-of-the-day-and-predictions/

Hamburg Vs Fulham Europa League Semi Final: Team News, Bet of the Day and Predictions

by Christian Bailey on April 22nd, 2010

From Craven Cottage to Hamburg, Roy Hodgson is on the brink of something very special indeed.

Fulham could have Clint Dempsey back in their side to face Hamburg after he overcame the thigh injury that has ruled him out of the last three games.
John Pantsil, Nicky Shorey and Stefano Okaka are all ineligible for the Europa League semi-final first-leg tie.
Paolo Guerrero, who is serving a domestic ban for attacking a fan, is available to play for Hamburg.
He is set to partner Ruud van Nistelrooy up front in the absence of the injured Mladen Petric.
The hosts are also without experienced Germany midfielder Marcell Jansen, who is racing to be fit in time for the World Cup.
Hamburg have added motivation to reach the Europa League final as it will be held at their home ground, the Nordbank Arena.
However, their form is not encouraging.

Having made a bright start under manager Bruno Labbadia, their Bundesliga challenge has fallen away and they are in danger of missing out on qualifying for European competition next season.

The pressure increased on Labbadia with Sunday's home defeat by Mainz. (BBC Sport)

Roy Hodgson has done wonderfully well to get this far in the Europa League and even a lengthy trip to Germany will not dent the west London side's hopes to make it back to Hamburg for the final next month. The Craven Cottage side are unbeaten in their last five games and looking good for a top half Premier League finish and should have no fear going into this Semi Final encounter.

Having easily overcome reigning Bundesliga champions Wolfsburg in the Quarter Final's expect a confident Fulham side to take the field at the Nordbank Arena against a side who has lost of their last four matches to leave them floundering outside the European qualification spots.

My Bets of the Day would favour yet more European glory for Fulham and a first goalscorer win double of Bobby Zamora to score the only goal of tonight's game takes my fancy at a very decent 50/1. A bet on Fulham to win at 9/2 is also worth a punt.

My Prediction: 1-0 to Fulham

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6108382,00.html

Konchesky hopes for England call

Fulham full-back has eyes on World Cup

Last updated: 22nd April 2010   

Paul Konchesky hopes he can still earn a shock call-up to England's World Cup squad.

The Fulham left-back has two England caps to his name, with his last appearance for the Three Lions coming in 2005.

But with Wayne Bridge retiring from international duty, there is a potential place as Ashley Cole's back-up available - although Stephen Warnock and Leighton Baines were preferred for the last friendly with Egypt.

Konchesky, though, has not given up hope of making the trip to South Africa.

"If the team keep doing well, you never know what could be round the corner," he told the Daily Star.

"I'm gutted there has not been more [caps], but there is a world-class defender in Ashley. He's probably everything you want in a left-back.

"Other than that, I know Wayne Bridge has been in there and he's all right.

"But Leighton Baines got a chance last time out, so the position might still be open."

White Noise

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23826838-jack-knifed-lorry-delays-fulham-further-ahead-of-europa-clash.do

Jack-knifed lorry delays Fulham further ahead of Europa clash

A major traffic jam was the latest in a long line of hurdles that Roy Hodgson's Fulham had to overcome before completing their 27-hour road trip to Hamburg for tonight's Europa League semi-final.

The Fulham boss must have thought he was due a good turn in luck after volcanic ash caused him to ditch plans to fly to Hamburg and make the 600-mile trip by road instead.

But as both of the team's luxury coaches departed their hotel in the Westphalian city of Munster, where they stayed on Tuesday night after leaving London in the afternoon, trouble struck once more.

A lorry had jack-knifed on the Autobahn, causing the coaches to remain at a standstill for three hours and delay the team's arrival in the city.

The team's much-needed physio session was delayed because of the traffic jam, but Hodgson was nonetheless upbeat ahead of the match.

"We were on the road for 17 hours from leaving Motspur Park (where Fulham train) to arriving at the Hyatt (hotel) in Hamburg," Hodgson said.

"Three hours of that was standing in a queue thanks to a traffic accident on the Autobahn.

"The plan was to arrive here at 1.30pm to have lunch and that would have given us all afternoon for the physio to work with the players.

"Because of the delay, they didn't get to look at them until 5pm, which is a further disadvantage, but that I hope won't hamper us.

"It will be a little bit harder for us. It is not ideal preparation for an important game."

Bruno Labbadia, however, had little sympathy for the Cottagers as he looks to book a place in the final, which is also being played at the Hamburg Arena.

The German said: "For Fulham it would have been a risk to fly, a risk they couldn't take. It will be the same for us for the (Bundesliga) game against Hoffenheim (this weekend).

"I would say this is part and parcel of the game and you just have to cope with it, to deal with it."

United States forward Clint Dempsey is in contention for a start after he overcame a thigh injury which ruled him out of the Cottagers' last three games.

Hodgson's side are unbeaten in five matches while their opponents have dropped to seventh in the Bundesliga after winning just once in their last six games.

The former Inter Milan boss feels that chasing a final on home soil will inspire Labbadia's side to give Fulham a stern test over the two legs though.

Hodgson said: "We're aware that Hamburg will be extremely motivated for these two matches because the final will be played on their home ground in front of their home fans."

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/22/fulham-hamburg-europa-league

Fulham's never-ending season finally ready for take-off in Hamburg

• Europa League semi-final is Fulham's 57th game

• Seventeen-hour drive 'not the ideal preparation'

Jamie Jackson in Hamburg

The Guardian, Thursday 22 April 2010

After their 17-hour coach trip to reach Hamburg, Roy Hodgson and Mark Schwarzer got in a car to reach their pre-match press conference. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images

Fulham's most marvellous European adventure continues in northern Germany tonight. Hamburg and 180 minutes of football (at least) separate Roy Hodgson's team from a date with Liverpool or Atlético Madrid in next month's Europa League final, which will also be played here at the Nordbank Arena.

Fulham's 57th match of a season soon to enter a 10th month pits them against one of Kevin Keegan's former clubs, a club who were European Cup winners in 1983 and then made the semi-final of the Uefa Cup last year only to lose on away goals to Werder Bremen.

Shaktar Donesk (the holders), Juventus and Wolfsburg (the German champions) have all been eliminated by Fulham thus far, so a club with Hamburg's pedigree hold no fear though Hodgson, as always, respects any opposition from Germany.

"They've had success if we talk about Bayern Munich and Hamburg, even teams like Dynamo Dresden way back," he said. "The success of German teams goes [back] very far. If you've ever seen them play you're aware of the strength of German football so, if you get drawn [with one], you know it's going to be a tough game.

"Here we're talking about [two] teams who have reached the semi-finals of a tough competition because there are more games in the Europa League than even the Champions League.

"When you get drawn against Wolfsburg and then Hamburg you know they're very tough teams and they're going to test you to the absolute limit."

Also providing a trial was the 600-mile drive that took the Fulham team from their Motspur Park training ground in west London to northern Germany. That started on Tuesday and ended at 4pm local time yesterday.

There was also a three-hour delay due to a crash on the autobahn as the team coach rode the final leg from Münster to Hamburg. Hodgson said: "The plan was to arrive here at 1.30pm to have lunch and that would've given us all afternoon for the physio to work with the players. That all got lost on the way, which is a further disadvantage."

That doubled yesterday's journey time to six hours, taking the total the squad spent on the bus to 17. "I hope this won't hamper us because the physios couldn't work with them until 5pm, when we got to the hotel," Hodgson said. "Of course it will be a little bit harder for us. It is not ideal preparation for an important game – we're going to be playing top-class opposition and an away game in Hamburg is always going to be hard."

Fulham's Mark Schwarzer, who has German parents and arrived in English football from Kaiserslautern in 1996, emerged from his odyssey still happy enough to offer a few quips. The Australian said of the entertainment en route: "I'm not really sure which films we watched, they sort of rolled into each other. A never-ending story, that was the one."

Fulham's passports have also been required for trips to Lithunia, Ukraine and Russia on this run – the battle to reach next month's final has not been easy. Schwarzer said: "We have clocked up the miles and this time it hasn't been [simple]. But whether you come by bus or plane, it's going to be difficult to get to a final.

"I'm used to the mileage – I've a fair few under my belt travelling around the world with Australia. We're footballers – sometimes we can't prepare in the best possible way, but we have to deal with it.

"Whenever you get a break in a travel it's always nice to get out. We did it in the middle of the journey from Calais to Münster – we stopped along the way to stretch our legs. You do suffer from dehydration whenever you're travelling long distances, by bus or flying. It's not the ideal preparation, but it's one we've had to deal with."

While Fulham's prospects over the two legs may depend on how they handle a reinvigorated Ruud van Nistelrooy, who signed for Hamburg from Real Madrid in January, the Dutchman believes the 19-goal Bobby Zamora is a potent threat.

"He's effective. Zamora's very important for the team – he holds the ball, he's a team player, works hard and he's an all-round striker," the 33-year-old striker said of the Fulham forward who says he idolised Van Nistelrooy when learning the game. "He can score and he's got more skills, I think, than you would say."

For Hodgson and his happy band of Euro travellers, the season could just be about to become even more memorable.

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7616163/Hamburg-v-Fulham-Roy-Hodgsons-men-bond-during-never-ending-journey.html

Hamburg v Fulham: Roy Hodgson's men bond during 'never-ending' journey

The latest leg of a magical mystery tour that began in July, in Lithuania, has included seven countries and covered more than 15,000 miles has offered Fulham the chance of a bonding session they did not necessarily want, but could ultimately deliver them back to Hamburg, venue for next month's final.

By John Ley in Hamburg

Published: 7:00AM BST 22 Apr 2010

Fulham face Hamburg in Thursday night's Europa League semi-final, first leg having taken 17 hours to arrive in this northern German port at around teatime on Wednesday.

The journey, by road, was extended at a German service station by three hours by a motorway accident but manager Roy Hodgson and his players, while accepting it may have a detrimental effect, are determined to use the journey to their advantage.

Hodgson said: "It was 17 hours from leaving our training ground at Motspur Park to arriving in Hamburg. But three hours of that was standing in a queue thanks to a traffic accident on the Autobahn.

"I'm very pleased with the way the players have accepted the fact it wasn't easy to get here, something that was beyond everyone's control and the way they've adapted to the situation."

Mark Schwarzer, Fulham's German-born goalkeeper, added: "We have a very good relationship anyway in the team. A really long trip can either pull the team part or to the contrary and I'd say it's pulled us all together."

Schwarzer revealed that the players tried to tune into the Inter Milan-Barcelona game but reception was so poor that they made do with a succession of films. "I'm not really sure which films we watched," he said, "they sort of rolled into each other. it was like The Never-ending Story."

And how fitting, because Fulham's European adventure has become just that and it could be argued that taking the club to the final would rank ahead of Middlesbrough's Uefa Cup appearance under Steve McClaren in 2006, given the manager, later to coach England, had greater resources at his disposal at the time.

Fulham will face former Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy, who confirmed that Fulham were one of the clubs interested in signing him, along with Tottenham, before the Real Madrid forward chose Hamburg.

Now Van Nistelrooy has the incentive of taking Hamburg to the final – to be held in the HSH Nordbank Arena here – and face one of two former foes. "Of course I'd look forward to either Liverpool or Atletico Madrid," he added, but the Dutchman warned: "If you beat Shakhtar, Juventus and Wolfsburg that says something.

"I knew Fulham from my time in the Premier League and they weren't there then. So to reach something like this is impressive. And they can beat anyone. We have to be very careful."

White Noise

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/fulham/7615262/Hamburg-v-Fulham-match-preview.html

Hamburg v Fulham: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Europa League semi-finals first leg between Hamburg and Fulham at the HSH Nordbank Arena, Hamburg on Thursday Apr 22 2010, kick-off 20.05 BST.

By John Ley

Published: 6:00AM BST 22 Apr 2010

Link to this video Thursday April 22

Hamburg v Fulham
HSH Nordbank Arena, Hamburg, Germany
Kick-off: 20.05 BST
TV: ESPN 19.30 BST

Bruno Labbadia v Roy Hodgson: In terms of their playing careers, Labbadia is streets ahead of Hodgson. The German born former striker of Italian heritage scored 103 goals in 328 league games having played for some of Germany's top Bundesliga clubs including Hamburg, while also representing Germany twice.

But the 44 year-old's experience as a coach is limited and a poor result could cost him his job. By contrast Hodgson has coached throughout Europe and, in 1997, reached the Uefa Cup final with Inter Milan. No doubts over his future.

Key battle

Ruud Van Nistelrooy v Mark Schwarzer: The former Manchester United striker has a good track record against Fulham, scoring 10 goals in nine games during his time at Old Trafford, winning seven and drawing one.

But most of those came against Edwin van der Sar, who later joined him at United. In Schwarzer, German-born of Australian parents, he faces one of the most consistent goalkeepers in the Premier League

Talking tactics

In terms ox experience Hamburg have the upper hand. This is their ninth appearance in the semi-finals of a major Uefa club competition while Fulham have never before got this far.

Paolo Guerrero, the Peruvian striker, is available though he is currently banned from league duty for an attack on a fan. Hamburg are also missing experienced midfielder Marcell Jansen. And Fulham arrive having scored in all but one of their away games in Europe this season, though Clint Dempsey will be missed.

Team details

Hamburg (4-2-2-2): Rost, Demel Mathijsen Boateng, Agogo, Jarolim, Tesche, Trochowski, Ze Roberto, Van Nistelrooy. Guerrero
Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer, Baird, Hughes, hangeland, Konchesky, Duff, Murphy , Etuhu, Davies, Gera, Zamora
Referee: C Larsen (Denmark).