watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Need Petric back upfront?

Started by JackyFulham90, January 05, 2013, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

Stays upfront, shoots & scores goals, I love Berbatov & Ruiz but we were crying out for Petric today let's hope he is back fit for the Wigan game

epsomraver

SG

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on January 05, 2013, 09:42:42 PM
Stays upfront, shoots & scores goals, I love Berbatov & Ruiz but we were crying out for Petric today let's hope he is back fit for the Wigan game

By next Saturday he will have been out for some 4 weeks for what seemed like a muscle strain. Makes you wonder what the actual injury was but I do agree we need him playing up front.

Mr Fulham

He's not the answer as he's possibly the slowest player on earth, absolutely doesn't work with Berbatov and is injury prone. The Berbatov signing made his acquisition redundant. Good player, does score goals ... but not really needed, as much as I like him. A poor man's Berbatov.

nose

petric minus berba looked the business, with berba he doesn't seem to know where to play, i think that is true for quite a few in the team.

Dugliss

Maybe Berbatov should learn where to play in this team. As good as he is he seems to get in the way an awful lot

HatterDon

We don't have the striker on the books that we need. What we need is a #9 who can play with his back to goal and distribute to Ruiz, Berba, Kaca, and Dejagah. The last #9 we had on our books is now on the disabled list at Loftus Road.

Unfortunately, this sort of traditional English CF is not "fashionable" any more -- especially not with a manager in love with the continental style. If we had one, though, I think we'e have 8-12 more goals than we do.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: HatterDon on January 05, 2013, 10:57:40 PM
We don't have the striker on the books that we need. What we need is a #9 who can play with his back to goal and distribute to Ruiz, Berba, Kaca, and Dejagah. The last #9 we had on our books is now on the disabled list at Loftus Road.

Unfortunately, this sort of traditional English CF is not "fashionable" any more -- especially not with a manager in love with the continental style. If we had one, though, I think we'e have 8-12 more goals than we do.

I dont get this. A Zamora type player wouldn't work well with Berba at all - they both want the ball to be delivered to them to then distribute to other runners. Berbatov is effectively a target man, just one who likes ball to feet, rather than their chest.

What we are missing is a number nine who makes runs off of defenders. This is what Jol wanted Zamora to do, which is one of the reasons they had issues. With a number nine who looks to get in behind the defence, we stretch play and give players such as Berba and Ruiz even more space and time to find the right pass. This is why we are looking at Bent. This is why last Jan we so nearly brought in Lucas Barrios. This is why The Pog looked good for us and not for reading.

If we get a new striker in who can do the above things we'll look better. The issue is squeezing this player, Berba and Ruiz into the same team.

CurryForMario

Lambert

Lambert anyone?
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Bassey the warrior

Good player but not a starter for us.

HatterDon

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 05, 2013, 11:13:18 PM

I dont get this. A Zamora type player wouldn't work well with Berba at all - they both want the ball to be delivered to them to then distribute to other runners. Berbatov is effectively a target man, just one who likes ball to feet, rather than their chest.

What we are missing is a number nine who makes runs off of defenders. This is what Jol wanted Zamora to do, which is one of the reasons they had issues. With a number nine who looks to get in behind the defence, we stretch play and give players such as Berba and Ruiz even more space and time to find the right pass. This is why we are looking at Bent. This is why last Jan we so nearly brought in Lucas Barrios. This is why The Pog looked good for us and not for reading.

If we get a new striker in who can do the above things we'll look better. The issue is squeezing this player, Berba and Ruiz into the same team.

With all due respect, my friend, you "don't get this" because you are also enamored of the "continental style." Where you see art, class, and beauty in the Italian game, I see 52 sideways passes, fall down when someone breathes near you, and try to make something out of the resulting free kick. Where I see quick changes of direction, distribution by muscular centerforwards and fast attacking wingers who can cross to him, you see hurly-burly running and the long ball.

I loved total football when it first came out, and it is a laudable aim. It's also best executed by quick, tricky players who are generally too small and lightweight to play in England. The English game easily incorporates skill and creativity. It is much more difficult for the continental game to incorporate strength and physicality.

Just my tuppence.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Riverside

Have you all forgotten the Pog ?

Bumpy

Quote from: HatterDon on January 05, 2013, 11:50:00 PM
With all due respect, my friend, you "don't get this" because you are also enamored of the "continental style." Where you see art, class, and beauty in the Italian game, I see 52 sideways passes, fall down when someone breathes near you, and try to make something out of the resulting free kick. Where I see quick changes of direction, distribution by muscular centerforwards and fast attacking wingers who can cross to him, you see hurly-burly running and the long ball.

I loved total football when it first came out, and it is a laudable aim. It's also best executed by quick, tricky players who are generally too small and lightweight to play in England. The English game easily incorporates skill and creativity. It is much more difficult for the continental game to incorporate strength and physicality.

Just my tuppence.

You clearly didn't see Swansea's oompa loompas tear us a new exit hole at the Cottage last season.