more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(09/01/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 09, 2013, 04:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

It's Ghana before Fulham for Derek

Midfield star Derek Boateng says he only has thoughts of representing Ghana in South Africa rather than his proposed move to English top-flight side Fulham from Ukrainian outfit FC Dnipro.

Boateng has already successfully completed the Cottagers' medical and is currently negotiating a contract. This has led to reports that he could forego the AFCON to ensure the deal is sealed.

"Since I arrived here I have left behind all the thoughts of Fulham and concentrating on how to help the Black Stars win the trophy," Boateng said.

"Those reports that I have reached a deal to skip the Nations Cup are not true otherwise I won't be here training with my colleagues.

"I am fully committed to Ghana and currently I am only thinking about the Black Stars and how to do something special for the country."

http://www.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations/news/130108/Its_Ghana_before_Fulham_for_Derek

WhiteJC

Praise for Dalla Valle

Crewe Alexandra boss Steve Davis has praised Lauri Dalla Valle after the striker returned to Fulham following a successful loan spell at Gresty Road.

The Finnish forward hit an impressive five goals in 12 league and cup games during his time with npower League One Alex, but has now made his way back to SW6.

Davis said: "Lauri has returned to Fulham but we could revisit that again before the end of January.

"I bought Lauri into the club to score goals and he did that. He scored one in every two games [in the league] which is a decent record. It wasn't just his goals that we were impressed by, it was his work ethic.

"He has a big heart and was a great team player. He is a great lad and was good around the place. He wants to learn and improve and would always be out there putting extra work in.

"His attitude was first class. He would take a bag of balls out after training and is always out there working on something."

He continued: "I just felt that we need to give AJ Leitch-Smith and Max Clayton a go. Lauri has done very well for us and scored some really important goals.

"We could look at it again in two or three weeks time, if our own don't produce. They have to live with that pressure and I have had a chat with them about what I expect. All footballers play under pressure and they have to cope with it."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/08/praise-for-dalla-valle?

WhiteJC

Will Fulham retain their Premier League status this year?

Fulham have been sucked in to a Premier League relegation battle with just two wins from last 13 games

Fulham's victory against West Bromwich Albion on New Year's Day was only their second win in the last 13 Premier League matches.

Martin Jol's team is currently 13th in the table and are only six points above the dreaded relegation zone. When the season started the Cottagers held ambitions to rise and challenge for the Europa League spots.

After the summer acquisition of Dimitar Berbatov, seeing him play alongside Bryan Ruiz seemed like an exciting prospect for the Fulham fans. But the truth is, while these flair players, may look very attractive when in full flow, they do need others who can provide them services from the midfield.

Other than Steve Sidwell and Mohamadou Diarra, there is no great physical presence in the middle of the park. They miss someone like Moussa Dembele who used to give them a Patrick Viera-like presence in midfield.

Fulham also have the unwanted record of having the oldest squad in this Premier League season with an average age over 27, which should not come as a surprise seeing their lack of attacking spark.

Also, being the oldest squad, the regularity of injury also increases. Ruiz, Diarra, Sidwell and Damien Duff have all been sidelined this season, which has not helped Fulham's cause.

The departure of some of Fulham's best players in the summer has also hit them hard. Players like Dembele, Clint Dempsey and Danny Murphy, who were their lynchpins last season have all left for greener pastures. Since they have left, Jol has been forced to play with a 4-4-2 formation and not 4-3-3, which is his preferred system.

Also, their away form has been dismal. They have won only two of their away matches with half the season gone.

The winter transfer window is an important phase of time for them. They will have to strengthen their squad urgently, with a goalkeeper on top of their minds. Mark Schwarzer, 40, has been out with a neck injury for the past two matches and second choice keeper, David Stockdale is just not good enough.

Schwarzer, himself has not been his reliable old self this season which can be reiterated by the poor defensive record of the team this season. Having conceded 37 goals, they have the sixth worst defensive record in the league. Keeping this in mind, a new goalkeeper should be on top of Jol's January wishlist. He has already made a move for highly regarded Molde defender Vegard Forren, but seems likely to face competition from both Everton and Sunderland.

But, all is not bad in the Fulham camp. The return of Ruiz from injury in the last match, certainly seemed to have lifted the spirits of the players. Jol, for one, certainly finds him to be very "influential" and thinks him to be the key for Fulham's survival hopes.

When Ruiz was out of action, we often saw Berbatov dropping down almost to the midfield trying to orchestrate attacks, which he even managed to do successfully to an extent, but if you are a Fulham fan, that is not somewhere where you would like your best striker to be playing.

With the return of Ruiz in the last couple of matches, he has dropped down, which has left Berbatov free to wander in the penalty box and do what he does best. When fit, this strike partnership can create havoc to organised defences and Fulham fans should pray that the injury timeout for Ruiz is done for the rest of the season.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/will-fulham-retain-their-premier-league-status-thi?

WhiteJC

Burn Stays at Yeovil

The club announced today that one of our promising youngsters will remain on loan for the remainder of the season.

Dan Burn, still only twenty years of age, has had his loan spell, at Yeovil, extended until the end of the season.

Here at Vital Fulham we`d like to wish him every success and hope the experience stands him in good stead with his ambition of cracking the big-time at Craven Cottage.

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=304969

WhiteJC

Sent Back?

We suspected that having hit five goals in 10 League One games, Crewe Alexandra might be wanting to extend the loan spell of Lauri Dalla Vale, but apparently not.

Crewe today announced that they are putting faith in two of their own youngsters Max Clayton and AJ Leitch-Smith.

However, their boss, Steve Davis, has left the door ajar for Dalla Valle to return by inferring that if the aforementioned duo don`t do the business then he`ll be coming knocking on the door, at Craven Cottage, before the end of January.

It seems a bit of a cheek to me!!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=304970#ixzz2HRxPsQt6

WhiteJC

Best Wishes Zoltan

Up at the Hawthorns, there`s some bad news relating to one of our former players.

Zoltan Gera, a splendid servant to our club, who returned to the Hawthorns after arriving at Craven Cottage from that very same place, has picked up a nasty injury.

Gera will, we`re told, miss the rest of the season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Speaking about Zoltan, his current manager Steve Clarke has remarked,

'I'm devastated for Zoltan.'

'He's a terrific guy and professional and I want to thank him for his contribution this season. It has been invaluable.'

Here at Vital Fulham, even though he`s no longer one of ours, we`d like to wish Zoltan all the best in his quest to return to football from such a devastating injury.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=304972#ixzz2HRxazIZ4

WhiteJC

Double rollover: Fulham and Everton enquire about £5m-rated Matias Schelotto

Atalanta winger has impressed in Serie A and wouldn't need to dally around waiting for a work permit

Just one Schelotto: Argentine winger has attracted interest from Italian clubs

Fulham and Everton have made contact over the potential signing of Argentinean winger Matias Schelotto.

Schelotto plies his trade in Serie A with Atalanta and has impressed with his energetic displays on the right flank.

Both Premier League sides have been quick to move for the £5million man amid interest from other top Italian clubs, and with Schelotto in possession of an EU passport there would be no need for a work permit.

Meanwhile, Leon Osman says Everton's side is the best he has played in and wants to mark his 10th anniversary with silverware.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-and-everton-enquire-about-5m-rated-atalanta-1524819?

WhiteJC

The Russian star Fulham could sign for free in the summer

Fulham have reportedly made a fresh approach for a high profile Russian Premier League star.

Martin Jol tried to sign Andrey Arshavin from Arsenal over the summer and according to the Daily Mirror, he is trying to do so again.

Fulham are thought to be keen on adding the Russian to their squad to go alongside other recent high profile arrivals such as Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United.

Fulham's interest not only provides a way out of Arsenal for Arshavin, it creates the chance for him to stay in London and to play more regular first team Premier League games.

He would fit in nicely with the current Fulham side and his versatility would make him a valuable player for the club. He can play a combination of different roles in the team; left midfield, central midfield or just off the main striker.

His experience would also be vital. He is only 31-yars-old so has a good chunk of his career left and he has the experience of having played at a very high level with the Gunners and with Russia for a number of years.

Arshavin has failed to hold down a regular place in the Arsenal side so far this season and Arsene Wenger seems willing to offload the players who are surplus to requirements at the Emirates.

Any fee involved in a permanent transfer is likely to be on the more affordable side for Fulham with the only stumbling block being a low multi-million pound fee so shortly after the Berbatov deal.

Arshavin's contract with Arsenal expires this summer which means unless the club sells him now, Fulham could be in prime position to come in and sign him on a free transfer in the summer.

Wenger showed by selling Robin Van Persie to Manchester United that he is much more willing to sell to another Premier League side for cash than to risk his best players walking away for nothing.

Reading are thought to be the competitors for Arshavin's signature although the ambitious Russian is much more likely to join a side which can compete in the top half of the table over a team struggling to fight off the threat of relegation.

Joining Reading would also mean upheaval for Arshavin in terms of moving away from London, something he has expressed his desire to prevent since joining the Gunners.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/01/08/ld-the-russian-star-fulham-could-sign-for-free/?

WhiteJC

Paint Despair For Burn

Dan Burn and Yeovil Town suffered late agony in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Southern Section Semi-Final on Tuesday night.

A last-gasp goal from David Mooney earned Leyton Orient a 1-0 home win as the East London outfit booked their place in the next stage of the competition.

Orient looked up against it when Anthony Griffith was dismissed for a second bookable offence in the second half. But, with the match heading towards a penalty shoot-out, Mooney struck in injury time to send the O's through.

Burn, who will stay with the Glovers until the end of the season, will be hoping to help his loan side bounce back when they travel to Sheffield United in npower League One on Saturday (3pm).

Commenting on Burn's loan extension, Glovers manager Gary Johnson said: "I'm delighted to have secured Dan's services for Yeovil until the end of the season."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/09/paint-despair-for-burn?

WhiteJC

Confirmation Of Youth Cup Date

Fulham's FA Youth Cup Fourth Round clash at Arsenal – originally scheduled for Wednesday 16th January (7pm) – will now be played 24 hours later.

Arsenal's first team drew their FA Cup tie against Swansea City on Sunday and the Replay takes place at The Emirates on Wednesday 16th January.

As a result, the FA Youth Cup tie has been put back to Thursday 17th January (7pm). It will be played at Barnet's Underhill Stadium and tickets are priced £3 Adults and £1 Concessions.

Fulham's Under-18s booked the tie with the Gunners after beating Middlesbrough 6-4 after extra-time in the Third Round.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/09/confirmation-of-youth-cup-date?

WhiteJC

Hull City transfer talk: Fulham's David Stockdale top target despite Paul Robinson/West Ham rumours

Hull City have again been linked with Blackburn Rovers goalkeeper Paul Robinson today.

The Tigers will battle West Ham for the former England international's signature - according to The Sun.

Steve Bruce has dismissed the rumours and the Mail understands David Stockdale remains his number one target.

But any move for the Fulham star would depend on Martin Jol bringing in a new keeper.

The Cottagers have been linked with Birmingham star Jack Butland and Turkish international Sinan Bolat.

City confirmed their first two signings of the transfer window last night, with David Meyler joining from Sunderland and Robbie Brady from Manchester United.

Meanwhile, Cameron Stewart is set to discuss his future with Steve Bruce following a disappointing return to the Tigers first team against Leyton Orient on Saturday.

• Elsewhere in the Championship, Millwall are set to sign Bristol City striker Ryan Taylor, Blackpool forward Tom Ince is close to a £6m move to Liverpool, and Blackburn want Gus Poyet for their new manager.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/story-17801492-detail/story.html?

WhiteJC

Chris Coleman: "My Greatest Signing Was Brian McBride For Fulham"

The American spent four-and-a-half years at Craven Cottage and his performances saw him become a firm favourite with the fans. It's no surprise, in that case, that Coleman has called him his finest signing during his time as a manager.

When you've enjoyed a managerial campaign spanning close to a decade much like former Fulham and Coventry City boss Chris Coleman, it's inevitable that you've made a signing that has made the desired impact, turning heads leaving opposition managers pondering why they didn't move for the player in question in the first place.

During his time at Craven Cottage, Coleman oversaw a number of players arrive and depart the club, including Edwin van der Sar, Steed Malbranque and Luis Boa Morte. However, the 42-year-old admits that the money he brought in from Louis Saha when he joined Manchester United was best spent on former USA Mens National Team striker Brian McBride back in the winter of 2004 when the front-man arrived from Columbus Crew.

Speaking at the Capital One Cup Semi-Final media panel, and quizzed on the best signing he's made during his managerial career to date, Coleman said: "Pound for pound, selling Louis Saha to Manchester United in January 2004. I think we (Fulham) were fifth in the league at the time and we sold Louis for around £12m and signed Brian McBride for (US)$500,000.

"He (Brian) came in and did an unbelievable job for us, so pound for pound I'd have to say Brian McBride was my best signing." You'd be hard pressed to argue with Coleman on the value for money on McBride, who netted an impressive 41 goals in 154 games, before departing Craven Cottage to return to the MLS for Chicago Fire in 2008.

Chris Coleman was talking ahead of this week's Capital One Cup Semi-Final first leg ties. Find out more about the competition on the official website at www.capitalonecup.co.uk or join the debate on the semi-finals on Twitter @CapitalOne_Cup using the hashtag #CapitalOneCup.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/reportage/chris-coleman-my-greatest-signing-was-brian-mcbride-for-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham striker set for Brentford stay

MARTIN Jol looks ready to give Fulham frontman Marcello Trotta the green light to extend his loan spell at Brentford.

The young Italian has scored three goals in eight games for the Bees since his arrival in November, but is due to return to Craven Cottage after Saturday's trip to Oldham.

Brentford boss Uwe Rosler told the Chronicle last month that negotiations were already underway to try and keep the talented 20-year-old at the club.

And Fulham counterpart Jol admits it's best for Trotta's career to stay out on loan as he is still way down the pecking order in SW6.

"He's a youngster and if he plays his games in the lower leagues it can only be good," said Jol.

"I can't see him coming back and being in our squad, so I think it's important to be playing."

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/west-london-brentford-fc/2013/01/09/82029-32573011/?

WhiteJC

Davies closes on Fulham comeback

SIMON Davies will step up his recovery from injury this week as he closes in on a return to the Fulham first team.

The Welsh winger has been plagued by a string of problems over the past 18 months, which have restricted him to just seven appearances.

However, the 33-year-old, who is out of contract in the summer, is back in training at the club's Motspur Park base and could feature in tomorrow night's U21 game with neighbours Chelsea.

"Simon is almost a project," said Whites boss Martin Jol.

"We tried to get him fit but decided not to play him in the development game against Crystal Palace [last week]. He wanted to play 45 minutes but I thought it was better for him to start this week.

"He's training with us now and we're monitoring him closely. Last year he had to play in the reserves to get fit and then he was out again with another injury, so I thought that was probably not the way to do it this time.

"He feels a bit better but is still three or four weeks away from being ready for the first team."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/01/09/82029-32570521/?#ixzz2HUZScW1m

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies earmarked for under-21 return on Thursday

Simon Davies: Last played for Fulham first team 10 months ago

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies looks set to make his long awaited return to action in an under-21 game against Chelsea on Thursday.

The 33-year-old has been struggling with injury and has not played for the first team since March of last year.

The Welsh international is still some way short of reaching the level of fitness required to play in the Premier League but has recently returned to training.

Manager Martin Jol told Clubcall: "Simon is almost a project.

"We tried to get him fit but decided not to play him in the development game against Crystal Palacelast week.

"He wanted to play 45 minutes but I thought it was better for him to start this week.

"He's training with us now and we're monitoring him closely. Last year he had to play in the reserves to get fit and then he was out again with another injury.

"He feels a bit better but is still three or four weeks away from being ready for the first team."

The former Tottenham and Everton player will be out of contract at Craven Cottage in the summer.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8387275?

WhiteJC

Arsenal and Fulham 'at the window' for Stekelenburg and Roma want just €5m

Today's Corriere dello Sport print edition (see image) claims that Arsenal and Fulham are window shopping at Roma but that neither have actually got their money out and made an attempt to buy anything. The product they both have their eye is goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg who has recently lost his place to on loan Mauro Goicoechea.

The sub-headline in the newspaper reads 'Still no bid for the goalkeeper. Fulham and Arsenal at the window.'

Goicoechea originally came on for an injured Stekelenburg but his performances were so good he's kept the position and that won't be pleasing for the Dutchman.

His full registration is owned by Uruguayan club Danubio but it's likely Roma will move to confirm the deal as permanent, leaving a big question mark over Maarten Stekelenburg.

His contract runs until the summer of 2015 but the 30 year old is unlikely to want to see that out as a reserve at Roma. CdS say that whilst Arsenal and Fulham are interested and watching the situation, they are yet to move in with a bid and could be waiting for the right time to do so, a strop from Maarten Stekelenburg about the situation would surely speed things up.

CdS say that his agent, Rob Jansen, hasn't a firm offer to present to Roma and has ruled out the option of his client going on loan, saying he wants something permanent. Roma paid €6.5m for him 18 months ago and would want to recoup most of that but a figure of €5m is mentioned, which if he can play at his best level sounds like an absolute steal.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-and-fulham-at-the-window-for-stekelenburg-and-roma-want-j

WhiteJC

Televised Tie On The Cards

Fulham's potential FA Cup with Budweiser Fourth Round tie will be shown live on ESPN on Saturday 26th January (5.30pm).

The Whites or Blackpool face either West Ham United or Manchester United in the Fourth Round. Fulham drew 1-1 with Blackpool in the Third Round at Craven Cottage last weekend, while the Hammers and United finished 2-2.

Fulham's Replay with Blackpool takes place on Tuesday (8pm) at Bloomfield Road, with Sam Allardyce's side heading to Old Trafford 24 hours later.

Ticket details for Fulham's trip to the home of the Seasiders can be found here.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/09/televised-tie-on-the-cards?

WhiteJC

Everton & Fulham Track £5m Serie A Winger

Matias Schelotto wanted at Goodison Park and Craven Cottage.

Argentine-born winger Matias Schelotto could be heading to the Premier League in the January transfer window with both Everton and Fulham tracking the £5million man.

The right-sided midfielder Schelotto has impressed with his performances for mid-table Atalanta in Serie A this season and has caught the attention of Everton boss David Moyes, who faces a battle with Fulham counterpart Martin Jol for his signature.
Source: The Mirror

Although 23-year-old Schelotto is Argentinian by birth, he has spent his entire career playing in Italy with Cesena and Atalanta and has been capped once by Italy and seven times at under-21 level having been eligible through his ancestry.

Moyes is looking to strengthen the Everton squad in the January transfer window as they prepare for a battle to hold onto a place in the top four and secure an unlikely Champions League berth. He is also fighting off advances for midfielder Marouane Fellaini at the same time with Chelsea ready to meet the £23million buy-out clause in his contract.

Fulham, meanwhile, are in need of new blood after a poor run of results dragged them cl,oser to the relegation drop zone that Jol would have like, although they remain out of danger at the present.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/01/09/everton-fulham-track-5m-serie-a-winger/?