watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Merged threads - Stephen Kelly to Reading

Started by nose, January 11, 2013, 01:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryP

Kelly has been nothing but professional  in his time at Fulham.  I thank him for his service to the club and wish him nothing but the best in his move to Reading.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: aussierod on January 11, 2013, 11:56:20 PM
Quote from: The Moose on January 11, 2013, 11:45:35 PM
Quote from: aussierod on January 11, 2013, 11:43:32 PM
Could this mean Danny Simpson perhaps coming in then? We looked to sign him in summer if I recall correctly and Newcastle have now replaced him with the French international Mathieu Debuchy. Just a thought I've got, but I'm not sure Simpson would be able to displace Reither currently, however he is far younger, but also expecting a pay packet which I think even Newcastle were baulking at. Actually, I just googled him as I was trying to look into his contract situation and noticed this loosely linked article

http://soccerlens.com/fulham-qpr-and-west-ham-chasing-danny-simpson/100663/

Regarding Kelly though, he was an excellent squad player, ie someone who could step in and do a dependable job for either short or long term without too many errors, and never caused any problems when new players were brought in ahead of him, however he seemed to be missing that little bit extra to take him to that next level (part of that could stem from the fact he's not played much - 71 games in 3.5yrs  for us, I would think only 2/3 of which were in the league though). I wish him all the best and hope he gets the opportunity for some significant playing time in order to properly prove himself in the league

Why would he leave Newcastle to come here to be a backup?

Danny Simpson's contract only has 6 months to run on it and he hasn't signed a renewal, and it seems Newcastle have moved on by signing his replacement already. He apparently wants to come to London so he could be asked to fight for the position with Reither and hope we don't look to sign Reither permanently. I'd still prefer Reither but he would reduce our age and we'd be bringing in a fairly talented young english RB. Also, apparently he was only(!!!) offered 25k/week at Newcastle and I guess he values himself a little higher and we could offer more than that I would have thought

I wouldn't say no to him but I'd much rather sign Riether.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: ZhenPSenderos on January 11, 2013, 11:54:13 PM
Quote from: The Moose on January 11, 2013, 11:44:51 PM
Quote from: ZhenPSenderos on January 11, 2013, 11:41:40 PM
Maybe a tad over enthusiastic with the emotes but I am still glad to see him go.

Why are you so irked by him?

Because watching him play makes me want to rip my eyes out.

Going forward, he offers nothing. Combination of pace and lack of movement, opting to stay safe and stay back. The rare moments that he does cross, they never threaten. Defensively he's not even solid, his lack of pace is exposed again because his positional  awareness is MIA. Painful to watch too when he's selected ahead of Baird.

PS For those attributes at age 29? No thanks

PPS This was typed in a calm manner :)

I think you're very harsh. He's quicker and better offensively than Baird. Better all round as a right back.

kevin

i am glad he's gone
my wife drooled at the sight of him !!!!

cebu

All the best to Mr Kelly - just don't play a blinder when Fulham meet Reading!

Andy S

Reading are welcome to Kelly I think it depends where you sit in the ground as to how you perceive Kelly. I sit on the RH side of H6 and can honestly say he is not a premiership player. With him and Sendros both playing we are very weak on the Right side. Kelly is poor defending and is too hesitant He goes forward and we get caught out at the back. When going forward he is terrible at crossing a ball. So much so Duff would not pass to him when he was in a good position. He also seemed to have an inability to comunicate with his fellow defenders. That apart I do not wish him any ill and wish him good luck between now and the end of the season. In fact the rest of his career

MikeCdawg

Quote from: Patrick on January 11, 2013, 01:50:36 PM
http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/kelly-set-for-reading-move-3349437.html

Shame ....he provided decent cover...

I agree, not altogether decent as you say but the best cover we had at RB.

I mean who do we actually have for cover now in that position?

hongkongfulham

Quote from: mikecdawg-ffc on January 12, 2013, 04:34:48 AM
http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/kelly-set-for-reading-move-3349437.html

Riether - Baird - Hughes i think

Snibbo

Quote from: hongkongfulham on January 12, 2013, 05:20:53 AM

Exactly. Reither is obviously first choice. Kelly was better than Baird and Hughes.  People go on about him not being Premier League class - well a club like Fulham can't afford to have 22 players who would all be first choice in a Premier League team. If we did, we'd be in the top 4.

hongkongfulham

Quote from: Snibbo on January 12, 2013, 05:27:31 AM
Quote from: hongkongfulham on January 12, 2013, 05:20:53 AM

Exactly. Reither is obviously first choice. Kelly was better than Baird and Hughes.  People go on about him not being Premier League class - well a club like Fulham can't afford to have 22 players who would all be first choice in a Premier League team. If we did, we'd be in the top 4.

Agreed. Guess we cant stop him from wanting first team football, he was patient and didnt fuss and at least we got a fee for him whatever it is. Really hope sascha stays fit now although i have faith in baird doing a acceptable job there, not as attacking as kelly but just as sound.

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: EJL on January 11, 2013, 11:48:45 PM
Quote from: FFC to the Max on January 11, 2013, 08:23:04 PM
Quote from: EJL on January 11, 2013, 07:39:32 PM
Quote from: ZhenPSenderos on January 11, 2013, 07:36:01 PM
:Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro: Thank you Reading.

:yay: 082.gif  077.gif
Such an over the top reaction for a player who gave his all to the team.
I'll be reacting exactly the same way when someone finally releases us from the horror of watching Senderos play CB.
Is that Reznov? Avatar King.
It is indeed the legend himself. I'm Avatar OCD. I can't help myself! If only we could use gifs as avatar's then we'd be in business....
Foolish ham

St Eve

He was a loyal servant and i wish him the best

Me-ate-Live, innit??

A little late but ............................ I wish Stephen Kelly the very best at Reading, great move for him and I hope he gets regular play.  
A thoroughly professional football player who did a great job for us in particular in getting us to the Europa Final .........................
who was is Basel ???             He behaved in an exemplary way and was a credit to Fulham.  

Those of you who suggested that Tulisa Contostavlos shag is a better replacement for Stephen Kelly, must, like Danny have their brains in their crotch.  

HatterDon

Maybe a tad over enthusiastic with the emotes but I am still glad to see him go.

Going forward, he offers nothing. Combination of pace and lack of movement, opting to stay safe and stay back. The rare moments that he does cross, they never threaten. Defensively he's not even solid, his lack of pace is exposed again because his positional  awareness is MIA. Painful to watch too when he's selected ahead of Baird. 

Quite possibly the worst assessment of talent and skills I've seen this century. Congratulations.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

west kowloon white

Wish him well-will do well in Championship and at that fee another great bit of business by Jol.

ZhenP.Senderos

Quote from: HatterDon on January 15, 2013, 02:30:59 AM

Going forward, he offers nothing. Combination of pace and lack of movement, opting to stay safe and stay back. The rare moments that he does cross, they never threaten. Defensively he's not even solid, his lack of pace is exposed again because his positional  awareness is MIA. Painful to watch too when he's selected ahead of Baird. 

Quite possibly the worst assessment of talent and skills I've seen this century. Congratulations.

Well I wasn't up to typing up an essay so it's a lot shorter than i had hoped. Sorry to disappoint...

Thanks for your insightful input btw