watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosh A Beacon of light

Started by Peabody, January 13, 2013, 07:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Tosh was certainly a great Fulham character and gave us  much pleasure, his shot was so, so powerful. Remember in those days we played with a leather ball on muddy pitches and as the game progressed the ball absorbed water and got heavier and heavier. Can you imagine how lethal Tosh would be in today's game with dry green playing areas and a light ball.

Peabody

Your right about Jimmy Hill, can you imagine what todays lot would do to him?

cmg

Quote from: Peabody on January 14, 2013, 11:40:06 AM
Your right about Jimmy Hill, can you imagine what todays lot would do to him?

I was thinking about that as I was typing the message! Hopefully one of today's outfit will respond in the same way as Jimmy did. I'm sure you remember his hat-trick in that 6-2 thrashing of Sheffield Wednesday that virtually clinched our promotion.

Quote from: filham on January 14, 2013, 10:35:53 AM
Remember in those days we played with a leather ball on muddy pitches and as the game progressed the ball absorbed water and got heavier and heavier. Can you imagine how lethal Tosh would be in today's game with dry green playing areas and a light ball.

I agree that today's equipment and facilities are of great benefit to current players, however I would make a point about the old leather ball. Because it got so heavy in wet conditions it became essential to refine your skills. You simply had to kick the thing properly or it wouldn't go anywhere at all. Even more it became essential to time and execute heading precisely or else you wouldn't finish the match! One mis-timed header of a mud-laden ball would teach you (if you could remember and if you weren't off for a fortnight with a ricked neck) to get your timing right next time.