watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tosh A Beacon of light

Started by Peabody, January 13, 2013, 07:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

After yesterdays woeful second half performance, rises a really good item in the programme. On its Cult Hero page, it featured Trevor Chamberlain (Tosh) and rightly called him The Original and the best Fulham character. I know some of you younger ones will think who the hell is he. Well, he still lives in Fulham and still follows the club that he played for and for those that do not know, he was responsible for Johnny Haynes joining Fulham. A legend in his own right and I just hope the club reproduce this atricle on its website.

domprague

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

jarv

Remember him well. If you were behind the goal, had to be ready to duck when he was shooting. Very powerful shot and not too accurate.

cmg

The hardest struck shot I ever saw was delivered by Tosh at Brisbane Road. The Orient keeper didn't move an inch. The ball got stuck under the stanchion at he back of the goal and it took three blokes to get it out.

ron

I remember as a very young boy him miscueing a cross and knocking one of those old metal rizla advertising signs down.

epsomraver

Quote from: Peabody on January 13, 2013, 07:25:32 PM
After yesterdays woeful second half performance, rises a really good item in the programme. On its Cult Hero page, it featured Trevor Chamberlain (Tosh) and rightly called him The Original and the best Fulham character. I know some of you younger ones will think who the hell is he. Well, he still lives in Fulham and still follows the club that he played for and for those that do not know, he was responsible for Johnny Haynes joining Fulham. A legend in his own right and I just hope the club reproduce this atricle on its website.

Sorry MR P but Tosh lives just up the road from you in Ewell as has done for years.

ron

Talking about cult heroes of those days ...Jimmy Hill, aka "Chinner", who then grew a beard to hide the chin, only to be rechristened "Beaver" by the crowd. Whenever he scored a goal  his celebration was so manic , I remember my grandfather saying "I'll bet he'll run all the way home to tell his mum after the game!"

bigalffc

I think Tosh was in the record books for the longest kick in football after kicking the ball over the stand into the river and it was fished out five miles away! A great character larger than life.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

RaySmith

I remember his banter with the crowd on the Riverside terracing as he warmed up.

Also, the classic scenario of Haynes sending a  30 yard pass, turning defence into attack, and Tosh would run on  to collect the ball, delivered perfectly weighted at his feet, and fail to control it- leading to abuse from Haynes, and the familiar slump of the shoulders.

And, of course, the  run down the wing, cutting inside and Tosh would let fly from outside the area- and the ball would fly into the crowd behind the goal nearly knocking someone out - though he did score some spectacular goals.

A great Fulham player and character - loved by everyone. Such characters are greatly missed in the game today.

Holders

I only saw him play once but he made a mark on me that day and I feel priviledged to have done so. Glad to hear he's still well and following the club.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Luffy86

I've heard my old man talk about Tosh Many a time! Sounds like he has black and white coarsing through his veins...

Peabody

All the incidents are in the article. I know you are right Epsom, I was just quoting what it said in the item. Does anyone recall that when he lived by South Park, he used to go and join in a game with the local kids playing on the cinder pitch and got told off by the then manager, in case he got injured.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Peabody on January 14, 2013, 07:58:38 AM
All the incidents are in the article. I know you are right Epsom, I was just quoting what it said in the item. Does anyone recall that when he lived by South Park, he used to go and join in a game with the local kids playing on the cinder pitch and got told off by the then manager, in case he got injured.

Did it mention that during a lull in the game, Tosh would often cadge a cigarette from a spectator and have a puff whilst the ball was up the other end?
Happy Birthday by the way, Mr P 081.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Peabody

Thank you CH and yes it did, I only wish I was clever enough to reproduce it here. By the way, thanks for not printing my age.

FC Silver Fox

How about the time, he was taking a corner and kicked the corner flag by mistake.  fp.gif  064.gif
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

SouthfieldWhite

Remember when we were trying to get The Johnny Haynes statue, LB managed to get Tish down to a meeting we had at the Earl Beaty in Motspur Park, we spent most of the evening laughing at all the stories he was coming out with, a great character, and of course great friends with Johnny Haynes and one of the main reasons Johnny Haynes stayed with us

Also Happy birthday Peabody

TonyGilroy

Quote from: SouthfieldWhite on January 14, 2013, 08:35:38 AM
and one of the main reasons Johnny Haynes stayed with us

The main reason is that Trinder wouldn't let him go and at that time a player had no real way of forcing a move.

It's no accident that players like Lofthouse, Atyeo, Dickinson, Finney and Paine stayed where they were.

Their clubs wouldn't let them move and there wasn't more money to be made elsewhere anyway.

In his autobiography George Cohen talks about being stopped from going to Everton. He was unhappy but had no choice but to accept the situation.

epsomraver

081.gif 081.gif Mr P many happy returns, keep the jokes coming and be as Un PC as you want, you have reached that age! :021:

Peabody

You all have to admit tthat this sort of thread is far better than either moaning about the team/manager and defending the team/manager. I mean of course remembering cult heroes not celebrating my birthday.

cmg

Happy Birthday, mate. Enjoy, yourself.

Quote from: ron on January 13, 2013, 11:18:33 PM

Talking about cult heroes of those days ...Jimmy Hill, aka "Chinner", who then grew a beard to hide the chin, only to be rechristened "Beaver" by the crowd. Whenever he scored a goal  his celebration was so manic , I remember my grandfather saying "I'll bet he'll run all the way home to tell his mum after the game!"

Ron's grandfather was probably quite right. Jimmy Hill, never the most skillfull of players and sometimes a crowd 'scapegoat', was one of the most enthusiastic and committed players to have played for us.
He has had an extraordinary career in football as player, union rep (he was central to negotiating the removal of the minimum wage), manager, director (he was, again, central to this club's survival) and pundit. And yet, a few years ago, I saw him interviewed and when asked what he felt was the the most important phase of his career, he answered without hesitation, "I would swap all the rest for a few more years as a  player - I loved every second of the game."