watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (14/01/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, January 14, 2013, 07:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Blackpool - Fulham Preview: Tangerines out to make amends for late draw in home replay
The Cottagers required a strike from Giorgos Karagounis to save them in the original tie and travel to Bloomfield Road, where the Seasiders have lost just three in the league

PROBABLE LINEUPS
BLACKPOOL
Gilks
Eardley, Cathcart, Broadfoot, Crainey
Taylor-Fletcher, Basham, Gomes, Ince
Delfouneso, Eccleston

FULHAM
Schwarzer
Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, Riise
Duff, Riether, Karagounis, Kacaniklic
Berbatov, Ruiz

Caretaker boss Steve Thompson is without Scotland international winger Matt Phillips, who is sidelined with a toe injury, while Ian Evatt (knee) is also out.

There may be room in the starting line-up for goalscorer Nathan Eccleston, who notched a late consolation goal at Charlton on Saturday, but Bournemouth loanee Wes Thomas is cup-tied.

Kevin Phillips may be rested after the 39-year-old played 80 minutes at the weekend, but Gary Taylor-Fletcher is pushing for a recall after making his comeback from recent injury against the Addicks.

Fulham had Mark Schwarzer, Damien Duff and Mladen Petric make their return from respective injuries in the draw against Wigan last time out and could continue in the starting line-up against the Tangerines.

They will be without Simon Davies (neck), Mahamadou Diarra (knee) and Kerim Frei (groin).

Steve Sidwell (hamstring) will face a late fitness check after sitting out the clash with the Latics.

DID YOU KNOW?
Blackpool have won the FA Cup once before - the 4-3 victory over Bolton in 1953. This is often known as the 'The Matthews Final' after Stanley Matthews' inspired display.

The Tangerines have won four, drawn six and lost three at Bloomfield Road in the Championship this season - the eighth-worst home record in the division.

In all competitions, Steve Thompson's men have not recorded a victory in their previous five games.

Fulham have been runners-up in the cup once before. They were beaten 2-0 by West Ham in 1975. This was to be Bobby Moore's last Wembley appearance.

Manager Martin Jol (pictured right) has just two domestics cups to his name in his coaching career, having secured the KNVB Cup in Netherlands twice while in charge of Roda JC and Ajax.

The Cottagers have just won one of their previous six outings and are 12/1 to win 2-0 with bet365.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/99950/blackpool-vs-fulham/preview

WhiteJC

Fulham target Belgian starlet

Fulham are preparing a bid for Belgian defender Bernard Malanda-Adje, according to reports from The Mirror.

The 18-year-old has been earning much praise for his displays with Waregem in his homeland, catching the eye of a number of top European clubs.

Cottagers boss Martin Jol is keen to make an early swoop bring the teenage to the Premier League before bigger clubs decide to make a move.

According to reports he is readying a £3m bid, and could make his approach in the coming weeks.

The West Londoners are said to be keen of drafting in young talent and would plan to filter the centre-half into the first-team to boost his value.

Malanda-Adje was on the books of French giants Lille, but left last term in search of regular first-team football.

He has found this with Waregem, where he has been a regular started, despite his young age.

At 5ft. 11", the Belgium U-19 international is relatively small for a defender, but a rapid turn of pace and good reading of the game make him one of the top rising talents in his homeland.

Although he has represented Belgium at youth level, he could elect to play for the Ivory Coast – the country of he was born in – at a later date.

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/fulham/fulham-target-belgian-starlet?

WhiteJC

Academy Insight: Jordan Evans

In getting to know some of the Club's younger players, fulhamfc.com pays a regular visit to our Under-21 and Under-18 squads to put our starlets in the spotlight. Today it's the turn of full-back Jordan Evans.

The Under-18 squad is a close-knit group, but which players do you get on best with in the Academy?

We are, but I would say Lyle Della Verde, Cauley Woodrow and George Williams. I share digs with Lyle, so we see a lot of each other, while from day one I've got on really well with Cauley. As for George, well, we play for Wales together and being from more or less the same part of the world we've become good mates.

We're told you and George are known as the 'Gavin and Stacey' of the Academy?

Yeah, it's quite funny that. To be fair, we've brought it on ourselves, because we do like to do a few impressions of the characters. 'Oh! What's occurring?' is probably our favourite. Of course it helps that we're Welsh - so the accents are spot on!

While Fulham is very much the team for you these days, growing up which club did you follow?

I'll admit that I was a Liverpool fan. I'm from up that way, kind of, and you find a lot of people from where I'm from - near Wrexham - support the Reds. As I've got older, I started to appreciate my hometown club a lot more, so I'd say Wrexham would be my team besides Fulham now. Prior to joining Fulham last summer, I spent about six years with them.

So who was your favourite player growing up?

Again, this reveals the old affinity for Liverpool, but it would have to be Michael Owen. He was my idol, and the first football shirt I ever owned had his name on the back.

Away from football now, what is your favourite film of all-time?

School of Rock, starring Jack Black. It's the best film ever. I never tire of it and could watch it again and again.

What would your karaoke song of choice be?

That's a tough one, but it would have to be out of Paradise City by Guns N' Roses or Ed Sheeran's 18. I'm not a great singer to be honest, even though I'm Welsh! Us Academy boys had to sing Christmas songs at Craven Cottage recently - I'm not sure how well that went down!

Favourite television show?

Well it would have to be Gavin and Stacey wouldn't it?! It's very funny, and is a show that always makes me laugh. I do like The Inbetweeners as well.

Turning your attention to your teammates, which one makes you laugh the most?

That would be George [Williams], hands down, he's the funniest. He can't fail to make me laugh.

Who are the best and worst dressed in the team?

Best would have to be Cauley, he's got some decent clothes. While the worst would have to be Daniel O'Reilly, who gets his colours all wrong – his clothes are a bit too extravagant for my liking!

And who amongst your teammates is the most skilful – who's got the most tricks?

It has to be Muamer Tankovic, without a doubt. He's got so much ability.

Finally, as your career moves forward, what is the one piece of advice that you remember above the rest?

I think it's a simple one; just work hard and take nothing for granted.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/14/academy-insight?

WhiteJC

Kelly aims to add different dimension to Reading FC

Stephen Kelly is looking to add a different dimension to Reading after signing from Fulham.

The 29-year-old full-back is comfortable on either side of defence - but has played the majority of his career on the right side.

After penning a two-and-a-half year deal on Friday it is expected that he will go straight into Brian McDermott's starting XI against Newcastle United on Saturday.

The Republic of Ireland international said: "I've spent most of my career in the Premier League - so I'll bring some experience and I'm still young enough and capable of getting up and down the pitch.

"I'll hopefully bring a different dimension to what we have at the moment and I'm looking forward to slotting in.

"There's not that much between ourselves and the teams that are in the safe positions.

"Staying in this league means you have to beat the teams around you and looking at the schedule we have to play most of the teams around us at home. I'm delighted to have signed and I'm looking forward to getting on the pitch.

"I've heard some great things about the club and the people around here are fantastic, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

"The club seems to be going in the right direction and everybody has the right idea and are singing from the same hymn sheet. For myself the move was a no-brainer."

Royals' third signing of the window already knows a number of his team-mates from Nicky Shorey to Ian Harte and Noel Hunt. And he added: "Some of my good friends have played here over the years and there's the likes of Hartey here too who I've played with.

"And with Brian McDermott being in charge too it makes it so much easier. We met at Kevin Doyle's wedding and also on a flight back to Dublin.

"I was going back for international duty and the lads were going over to play a game."

McDermott said: "I'm delighted to have Stephen here. "He has played a lot of games in the Premier League and more than 30 times for his country. He's the kind of player I've been talking about – someone with great experience, but at 29 still young in football terms and at a really good stage in his career.

"I've always liked him as a player, and the first time I met him was at Kevin Doyle's wedding a while ago and I thought he was a top guy.

"I know he's going to fit into the dressing room here really well. He's up for the fight, up for the battle, he's hungry, he wants to do well and I know he'll be successful for us."

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2127074_kelly_aims_to_add_different_dimension_to_reading_fc?

WhiteJC

Richardson's Reaction

Kieran Richardson emphasised the importance of keeping the morale high in the Fulham camp following our 1-1 draw with Wigan Athletic on Saturday at Craven Cottage.

The Whites failed to build on Giorgos Karagounis' splendid goal in the first half, with Franco Di Santo grabbing a deserved equaliser for the visitors on 71 minutes.

"It was obviously a frustrating afternoon," Kieran told Fulhamfc.com. "I thought we'd won it at the end when their defender cleared it off the line from Bryan's shot, but it wasn't meant to be.

"Their goal was a great strike but we've got to take the point and move on. They got the goal and then they had a 10 minute spell where they kept the ball well and were on top in the game.

"We weren't keeping the ball as well as we know we can but that happens in football. There's no point letting our heads drop, we've got to pick ourselves up. We can't dwell on it and we've just got to move on."

Manager Martin Jol elected to play Richardson at left-back in the match and it proved to be a positive move with the versatile 28-year-old enjoying arguably his finest performance in a Fulham shirt.

Richardson made several crucial late blocks to deny Wigan a sight of goal in the second half, while he also got forward to good effect.

"It's not a new position to me – I've played the last few seasons there," he explained. "I'm very comfortable at left-back and I enjoy it. Obviously on Saturday I didn't get the ball as much as I could because as a defender you're mainly defending – that's the priority.

"Defending is the most important thing but you've got to get forward as well and, with the players we've got, we keep the ball well so there are a lot of opportunities to get forward.

"I was happy with my performance, especially in the second half when I got tighter to their wing-back [Emmerson Boyce]. I was happy to get another 90 minutes for the Club. My fitness is coming and, hopefully, I'll be in the game for Blackpool."

Said game at Blackpool is just around the corner on Tuesday evening as we make our way to the Lancashire coastline for our FA Cup with Budweiser Third Round Replay.

Much has been said about the condition of the Bloomfield Road pitch but Richardson insists his side won't be making any excuses as they challenge the npower Championship side for the right to face either Manchester United or West Ham United in the Fourth Round.

"I've been there before and it's a hard place to go but we can't blame the pitch," he said. "We've just got to get on with it. We've got to be professional and go there and try and do a job.

"They'll be up for it because it's the FA Cup but we'll go there and I'm sure we'll do the business.

"It'd be great to go through. United have got West Ham at home [in a Replay on Wednesday] and they should win that but you never know in the FA Cup. Whoever we get I'm sure it'll be a hard game for us, but we'll try our best to make sure we are there to challenge."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/14/richardsons-reaction?

WhiteJC

TROTTA EXTENDS BRENTFORD LOAN

Striker to stay at Griffin Park for rest of season

Brentford Football Club have extended the loan signing of striker Marcello Trotta from Fulham for the rest of the season.

The Italian Under-19 international joined The Bees in November and has played nine games, scoring three goals.

He has also set up five Brentford goals during his time at Griffin Park and The Bees have won six of the nine games he has featured in
His initial deal expired yesterday, Sunday January 13, but he signed an extension last week.

The new loan deal will keep Marcello at Griffin Park until the end of the 2012/13 season.

Marcello joined Fulham as a 16-year-old in 2009 having been on the books of Napoli and Manchester City as a youngster.

The 20-year-old turned professional in the summer of 2011 and joined Wycombe Wanderers on loan later that year.

He scored eight goals in eight games for The Chairboys and earned a Fulham debut after returning to Craven Cottage.

Marcello, who has also been on loan at Watford, has made three substitute appearances for Fulham and has been involved in The Cottagers' Premier League squad this season.

Marcello spoke to Bees Player after completing the formalities of the loan extension last week – subscribers can see a video interview later today.

http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/trotta-extends-loan-14.01.13-596217.aspx?

WhiteJC

Fulham player wants to quit

Fulham winger, Pajtim Kasami, wants to quit the club and join German side Wolfsburg before the January transfer window slams shut.

Reports in the Daily Star point towards the Swiss Under-21 international leaving the club this month after becoming frustrated with life at Craven Cottage.

Kasami has made just eight league appearances for the west London side since completing his move from Serie A outfit Palermo in 2011.

Fine

The 20-year-old also received a £500 fine from Fulham boss Martin Jol after missing a penalty against Chelsea in the Carling Cup last season.

His former club has ruled out bringing him back to Italy but Sampdoria and Lazio are said to be interested in the youngster.

But it is understood that Kasami is favouring a move to the Bundesliga.

The report also suggests Jol needs to sell before he can add to his squad, so the club could push a deal through to make room for new signings at some point this week.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/fulham-player-wants-to-quit/24800/?

WhiteJC

Jol backed to leave Fulham
Sky Bet have cut Martin Jol from 10/1 to 3/1 be the next Premier League boss to go after seeing a string of bets for him to leave Fulham.

The Cottagers have been dragged towards the relegation zone with just one win in six, but are still considered outsiders for the drop at 14/1.

Paul Lambert remains the 10/11 favourite in the 'next Premier League boss to leave' betting after Aston Villa were made odds-on for relegation with another defeat at the weekend.

Sky Bet Football Trader Chris Spicer said: "It comes as somewhat of a surprise that Jol has been backed this morning but Fulham's form of late has been far from impressive, failing to beat strugglers Wigan, Southampton and QPR in recent weeks."

Meanwhile, Sky Bet have opened betting on whether Vincent Kompany's red card appeal will be successful, going 11/4 for it to be overturned by the FA.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8396137/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Cottagers stall again as poor run continues

Fulham fans travelled home from Craven Cottage disappointed once again as their team continued their alarming mid-season slump by only managing to take a point at home to Wigan. What's worse is that frankly, the Latics were more than deserving of a point and had Franco Di Santo been sharper, or had Arouna Kone not been away at the Africa Cup of Nations, then Roberto Martinez' men could well have been heading back to the North West with all three.

Martin Jol would surely have been earmarking all three points from Saturday's fixture. Indeed, given Fulham's usual superiority at home and Wigan's league position of 18th, added to the fact that the Cottagers were coming off the back of a morale-boosting away victory at West Brom, the home side were expected to take the game to their lowly opponents and particularly through Dimitar Berbatov, give the injury-hit Latics' backline a testing 90 minutes.

However, after veteran Giorgos Karagounis had put Fulham ahead in the opening stages with another long-range rasper to add to his stunning volley against Blackpool in the FA Cup last week, Wigan proceeded to take the game to the hosts. By the time Di Santo levelled it up with a wonderful strike in the second half, they had already gone close on several occasions. Yes, Maynor Figueroa may have produced a miraculous goal-line clearance in stoppage time to prevent Bryan Ruiz from giving Fulham all three points but really, if there was to be a winner from this game, it should not have been Jol's team.

Currently lying six points above the drop zone, the Dutchman admitted after the match that he was keen to strengthen a squad that has begun to look rather stale of late, despite the continued ingenuity of Berbatov. Funds are as tight as ever at Craven Cottage and Jol has already admitted that he needs to be creative in the transfer market if he is to find the gems to re-invigorate Fulham's season.

Chris David from FC Twente is a start but at the age of only 19, is clearly one for the future and not the present. Similarly, Simon Davies is said to be close to a comeback after a horror show with injuries but with all due respect to the Welshman, the Cottagers would do well not to pin their hopes on a 33-year-old who made only seven appearances in all competition last season and has made none so far this term.

Next comes the FA Cup replay with manager-less Blackpool in midweek and an opportunity for Fulham to put together a decent cup run or at the very least, put themselves in with a shot of a bumper fourth round tie at Manchester United and a return to Old Trafford for Berbatov, where you would not back against the Bulgarian making an impression.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_18303_-.html

WhiteJC

FA Cup Replay Opta Stats: Blackpool v Fulham

Blackpool may have lost their second manager of the season last week, but they have a potential tie with Man United to come if they win here...

Blackpool have progressed past the third round just twice in their last 13 appearances at this stage of the FA Cup.

Fulham have won just one of their last eight away games in all competitions (W1 D4 L3).

Blackpool have lost three and won none of their last six matches in all competitions.

Greek veteran Giorgios Karagounis has scored Fulham's only two goals in their last two games; including the equaliser versus Blackpool.   

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/fa-cup-replay-opta-stats-blackpool-v-fulham-140113-19.html?