watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Odds for Next Premier League Manager to be sacked

Started by Snibbo, January 14, 2013, 11:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

All this chit-chat certainly won't help us in the transfer window.

Would you commit yourself to a club if there was speculation over the future of the manager?

Gary h

It is no surprise that there is speculation on Jol given the overall run of results. Le's be honest without the good start we would be in a lot of trouble by now. It is the losses and draws to the teams lower down the table that really matter and we have not erally performed against them. I am unsure what it causing the situation and think Jol is a good manager. Home form was the reason we did so well before but we don't seem as strong anymore. Some fo the team selections are strange (Senderos for Huges on ocassions beggars belief). Hope Jol stay and maybe for once the players can take some responsibility!!!!!

A Humble Man

Bookies change odds on the basis of bets placed so I guess a lot of people have listened to what Jol is saying and have spotted an under pressure manager.  When managers start criticizing the fans that is a big sign of paranoia.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Northern Cottager

The odds being slashed is down to the bets being taken and the speculation of Schalke apparently wanting him will have aided the odds being slashed. Theres nothing that suggest to me he's going. IF anything it seems odd that he is still putting bids in for players hes said to of been watching/admiring and hes on the way out. He'll be staying.

Jambo

Can't believe there is a thread about this.  I might add the the title to this thread is incorrect, the odds are not for next manager to be sacked, it's the next manager to leave.  Absolutely staggered how many want Jol out, the way he has been treated so far by the board and now the fans I would not be surprised if he walked. 

Since Jan 2012- £30m sold £6m spent.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

DukeTyrion

Quote from: Jambo on January 14, 2013, 04:25:02 PM
Can't believe there is a thread about this.  I might add the the title to this thread is incorrect, the odds are not for next manager to be sacked, it's the next manager to leave.  Absolutely staggered how many want Jol out, the way he has been treated so far by the board and now the fans I would not be surprised if he walked. 

I don't want Jol out, and I am not sure many in this thread do. However, the fact that the odds have gone form 12-1 to 6/4 in one day does deserve a thread.

Forever Fulham

Happily take Roberto Martinez.   Or di Matteo. 

DukeTyrion

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 14, 2013, 04:46:15 PM
Happily take Roberto Martinez. 

Why would Martinez turn down Liverpool, then go to Fulham?

cottage cheese

Quote from: DukeTyrion on January 14, 2013, 04:56:02 PM

because and please dont shoot me down..who would want to manage liverpool? Fans are already on the back of Brendan if you read comments on websites and some of the chants. Its a job which is really destined for a fail for anyone who takes over. You have the bad press of Suarez to contend with and the tarnished image of Liverpool. Every manager since I can remember has been sacked for not getting the team anywhere near the top four. Its a job currently that I bet most sensible managers would leave alone. Brendan took it as he felt he could change the way the club plays....I think JOHN Barnes said a good point in the fact over the year Liverpool have always been a passing team and what they need is a man to come in with a reputation big enough to attract the big players. Yes its a bigger job than Wigan but its one that could dent a young managers career/rep.

Thats my view on the Liverpool job

bugsy

Quote from: DukeTyrion on January 14, 2013, 04:42:28 PM

I don't want Jol out, and I am not sure many in this thread do. However, the fact that the odds have gone form 12-1 to 6/4 in one day does deserve a thread.
I agree.  From 12-1 to 6/4 is staggering in bookie terms. Somebody somewhere knows something.

The Bronsons

Quote from: bugsy on January 14, 2013, 05:09:15 PM
Can't believe there is a thread about this.  I might add the the title to this thread is incorrect, the odds are not for next manager to be sacked, it's the next manager to leave.  Absolutely staggered how many want Jol out, the way he has been treated so far by the board and now the fans I would not be surprised if he walked.  

I agree.  From 12-1 to 6/4 is staggering in bookie terms. Somebody somewhere knows something.

It would be staggering in a big market, i.e. if lots of money was needed to move the odds a fraction. Piddling little speciality markets like this can be affected by a few hundreds pounds.

Whether that's good or bad news depends on your view of Jol.

Arthur

Quote from: cottage cheese on January 14, 2013, 05:03:54 PM

because and please dont shoot me down..who would want to manage liverpool? Fans are already on the back of Brendan if you read comments on websites and some of the chants.

And Martinez was at the Cottage, of course, to see and hear first-hand how fantastically supportive we are towards our manager and team. After Saturday, how could Martinez possibly turn down such a loyal and patient crowd as ours?

cottage cheese

Quote from: Arthur on January 14, 2013, 05:26:16 PM

because and please dont shoot me down..who would want to manage liverpool? Fans are already on the back of Brendan if you read comments on websites and some of the chants.

And Martinez was at the Cottage, of course, to see and hear first-hand how fantastically supportive we are towards our manager and team. After Saturday, how could Martinez possibly turn down such a loyal and patient crowd as ours?

dont think anyone was chanting and any set of fans would have booed after that performance. It was one of the worst displays I have seen at the cottage in a while.

Arthur

Quote from: cottage cheese on January 14, 2013, 05:28:02 PM

dont think anyone was chanting and any set of fans would have booed after that performance. It was one of the worst displays I have seen at the cottage in a while.

However you try to mitigate for what happened, the fact is, it will have done nothing to persuade Martinez that his next step up the managerial ladder should be at CC. Quite the opposite.

cottage cheese

Quote from: Arthur on January 14, 2013, 05:38:28 PM

However you try to mitigate for what happened, the fact is, it will have done nothing to persuade Martinez that his next step up the managerial ladder should be at CC. Quite the opposite.

I cant believe you think a game like that would determine whether a manager comes. Hes been booed plenty of times at Wigan after poor performances. Hes a wise man and a clever manager. He will move onto bigger things and I dont see why going to Fulham would be a step down. We have a fantastic academy these days, New stand being built etc..If we could appeal to Jol then I cant see why we woudnt appeal to Martinez. Thats all im trying to say

bugsy

Quote from: The Bronsons on January 14, 2013, 05:22:23 PM
Can't believe there is a thread about this.  I might add the the title to this thread is incorrect, the odds are not for next manager to be sacked, it's the next manager to leave.  Absolutely staggered how many want Jol out, the way he has been treated so far by the board and now the fans I would not be surprised if he walked.  

I agree.  From 12-1 to 6/4 is staggering in bookie terms. Somebody somewhere knows something.

It would be staggering in a big market, i.e. if lots of money was needed to move the odds a fraction. Piddling little speciality markets like this can be affected by a few hundreds pounds.

I disagree. From 12/1 to 6/4 wasn't affected by "a few hundred pounds".

west kowloon white

No chance Martinez-both Laudrup and Matteo have poor records at clubs of similar profile to ours-to lose Jol on the back of a poor run-due lack of mid field-would be really bad for the Club.Continuity essential,in the middle of the"window"-but then some will get what they wish for-fools.

The Bronsons

Quote from: bugsy on January 14, 2013, 05:46:18 PM
... the fact that the odds have gone form 12-1 to 6/4 in one day does deserve a thread.
I agree.  From 12-1 to 6/4 is staggering in bookie terms. Somebody somewhere knows something.

Betfair doesn't even have a market on it, i.e. £0 currently staked. The total staked on Wenger to go or stay is £131. Granted, there have been millions on the next Chelsea manager, but most of that is probably Abramovich. 

Still, you may be right - it might take a few thousands or tens of thousands. My point stands, though, in that it's nowhere near as significant as a similar movement in a large market.

Jambo

Quote from: bugsy on January 14, 2013, 05:46:18 PM

In next manager odds it can take as little as a £50 bet to move the odds like that, it's a fact, bookies have been stung so many times in these markets
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

Arthur

Quote from: cottage cheese on January 14, 2013, 05:43:26 PM
Quote from: Arthur on January 14, 2013, 05:38:28 PM

I cant believe you think a game like that would determine whether a manager comes.

It's not about what I think. I'm responding to the logic of your argument. You began by suggesting that Martinez turned down the Liverpool job because he could foresee that their fans would soon be on his back. You may be right - I don't know. But, based on your own analysis, the obvious interpretation of Saturday's events has to be that Martinez will have been negatively influenced.