News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How about taking a drink from the cup labelled Reality?

Started by FulhamMic, January 14, 2013, 12:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamMic

Fulham are a mid-table team; not expected to break into the top ten, but nor are we considered relegation fodder. The last few seasons we've punched above our weight, and whilst there's no reason that can't continue, don't be too upset if it doesn't.

Hangeland, Hughes, Duff, Schwarzer et al have all aged since Roy left, stop expecting them to play like, and comparing them to, their former selves. They're older, slower, more prone to injury and more prone to making mistakes. We've seen it more this season than any other. It's not their fault, it'll happen to all of us. But by the same token, nor is it Jol's fault.

Hangeland is no captain, and we desperately need a leader out on the pitch. I'm in no doubt that before his appointment any Fulham fan would have named Hangeland as Murphy's successor, but it's simply not worked out. The situation has been made all the more delicate by the fact he seems reluctant to sign a new contract; stripping him of the captaincy at this point is hardly going to help negotiations. Again, it's catch 22 for Jol.

We've had our fair share of injuries, and suspensions, which has only served to expose our lack of depth. This isn't a quick fix. We need first team players, so that is how any available budget will be prioritised. We're certainly not in a position where we can afford to buy luxury players or expensive prospects for the future. So don't expect this to be fixed any time soon.

Players make mistakes, young or old. How many goals can be directly attributed to mistakes made by senior players this season? Hangeland, Hughes, Baird, Ruiz, Riise and Schwarzer have all been guilty. Again, these can't be down to Jol; it's not something you can account for, or fix, out on the training pitch.

If we had got a point away to West Brom, and three at home to Wigan this board would currently have a very different tone, even though we'd be in exactly the same position with exactly the same amount of points. Four points from West Brom & Wigan is a good return, period.

We've been unlucky; we should have taken three points home and away to Southampton, away to Reading, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Jol won't be sacked ( apologies to Jol haters) We know the target every season is to avoid relegation, anything beyond that is a bonus. We won't get relegated, the club have already triggered his contract extension, and when he finally signed it was the third time Mo had pursued him. He's not going anywhere.

Our current run of form is a blip. Last season we had it at the start and finished 8th with our highest ever points total. This season we're having it mid-season after a strong start but it won't last. We may not finish 8th, but I've not doubt we'll be there or thereabouts.

We have a good squad; our problem is that we're lacking in midfield. In August, Dembele and Diarra looked like the perfect pairing, and then Sidwell and Diarra struck up a strong partnership once Dembele left. We were strong, we kept the ball, and we could win it back with ease. This is what we need now. Either through keeping them fit, or bringing in a new player or two.

Don't expect Fulham to spend big in January. Jol isn't daft, and neither are Mo and Mack. Prices are inflated and players being sold in January usually aren't of the quality needed to make a difference (note I said usually, there are always exceptions). I think loans and freebies are more realistic, with the money being retained until the summer. Also, if transfers don't happen, don't blame Jol or MAF or Mack as I've every confidence they're trying their best. No one on this board has the faintest idea of what goes into making a deal happen (just because you play Football Manager, doesn't actually make you a Football Manager). We are a successful, Premier League club - which means we are well run. The guys in charge aren't blundering idiots, they just aren't willing to bet the future of the club on some arrogant, greedy [teenager][has-been][journey man] and his all-demanding agent.

Changing the manager at this point in the season rarely works out, history tells us that. It's stability we need, especially after the manager merry-go-round of the last few seasons. Mo has historically shown his managers loyalty and support - when Coleman was sacked it wasn't the first scrap we'd been in under his tenure; Sanchez was only relieved of his duties once it became clear he'd lost the dressing room; he stuck by Hughes even after the West Ham result at home and the untenable booing. And he's shown more adoration for Jol than any of those mentioned here.

JBH

A lot of good points made and most of us are relistic but what we will not stand for is below par performances from certain players every week, we turn up and watch the team isn't it about time the team turned up and performed?

FulhamMic

Quote from: JBH on January 14, 2013, 12:46:12 PM
A lot of good points made and most of us are relistic but what we will not stand for is below par performances from certain players every week, we turn up and watch the team isn't it about time the team turned up and performed?

I certainly don't disagree with that. What I am pointing out though is that the blame doesn't lie solely with Jol, and not to expect overnight changes, huge investment or a change in manager to rectify the issues. Jol, and the current squad, will come good. We simply need to be able to field our strongest team, game after game, just like at the start of the season. We've already shown how good we can be, and that was after Dembele and Dempsey had left. The only difference has been injuries and suspensions, and a huge knock to the confidence.

Remember, Hodgson always said the key to the season where we finished 7th was the fact he was able to field an almost unchanged 11 every game. Consistency is king.

Lighthouse

Oh good we are a mid table side (actually we are a struggling side after once being a top ten side)

We have a bunch of old players and its not their fault they are old and past it. Neither is it the clubs or Jols fault. We must wait to watch them die on the pitch of old age and be carried off.

Hangeland is no captain but its not Jols fault for making him one. Our current fourteen match run with two wins is a blip. So let's all relax.

We will not spend on greedy players so let's all keep calm and watch a team who struggle to take corners, free kicks and pass the ball. Nobody is at fault. We are well run.

I feel much better now. Reality is great. Nothing is anybodys fault and we shouldn't over react. Let's not bother even watching football. We all know what will happen so why bother to expect more. Little tiny Fulham are well run.

Not a good day for me to give up taking the drugs.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FulhamMic

QuoteOh good we are a mid table side (actually we are a struggling side after once being a top ten side)

Reality: We're in 13th in a league of 20, a point off 11th. In the last 10 seasons, we've only finished inside the top ten four times.

QuoteWe have a bunch of old players and its not their fault they are old and past it. Neither is it the clubs or Jols fault. We must wait to watch them die on the pitch of old age and be carried off.

Reality: Change takes time. It'll happen, but not overnight like some seem to expect. Our whole squad is too old, lets throw £100m we don't have at it to fix the problem. Yeah, look at QPR to see how that's working out!

QuoteHangeland is no captain but its not Jols fault for making him one. Our current fourteen match run with two wins is a blip. So let's all relax.

Reality: When it was time to appoint Murphy's successor, Hangeland was always going to be the prime candidate. Anyone even remotely associated with Fulham knew that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but don't let it blur what's real.

QuoteWe will not spend on greedy players so let's all keep calm and watch a team who struggle to take corners, free kicks and pass the ball. Nobody is at fault. We are well run.

Reality: Let us spend well beyond what we can afford and look forward to becoming the next Portsmouth, West Ham (post-Icelandic ownership), QPR, Leeds et al.

Lighthouse

While the club may not have backed Jol in transfers and sold our best players. Jol in a season and a half has taken the club backwards. It doesn't happen over night? Reality is that out team has become older not younger and the squad is weaker than it was when Jol came. So over night Jol OR the club have decided that we must live with what we have.

That is the reality. The reality of how we have played in the last 15 games is the reality.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BestOfBrede

Well said Fulham Mic, but alas all that typing is wasted on here presently!
If Jol goes I hope all the boo boys are proud of themselves and get what they ask for.

Fulham1959

Excellent post, FulhamMic  -  intelligent and articulate.  I especially like this as I often use the same logic :

"If we had got a point away to West Brom, and three at home to Wigan this board would currently have a very different tone, even though we'd be in exactly the same position with exactly the same amount of points. Four points from West Brom & Wigan is a good return, period."

By the same token, one win is worth three draws (though not entirely, because of losing the other two).  One of the skills of management, however, is being able to blend the talent at your disposal and Jol has hardly come up trumps in that respect.  Every team will have injuries and suspensions and that's why you need a big squad.  I suspect Fulham's misfortunes in these areas are no more than average (I may be wrong) and it's something every manager and every fan has to deal with.

cottage cheese

Quote from: Fulham1959 on January 14, 2013, 01:38:14 PM
Excellent post, FulhamMic  -  intelligent and articulate.  I especially like this as I often use the same logic :

"If we had got a point away to West Brom, and three at home to Wigan this board would currently have a very different tone, even though we'd be in exactly the same position with exactly the same amount of points. Four points from West Brom & Wigan is a good return, period."

By the same token, one win is worth three draws (though not entirely, because of losing the other two).  One of the skills of management, however, is being able to blend the talent at your disposal and Jol has hardly come up trumps in that respect.  Every team will have injuries and suspensions and that's why you need a big squad.  I suspect Fulham's misfortunes in these areas are no more than average (I may be wrong) and it's something every manager and every fan has to deal with.

Its not misfortune, its not injuries or suspensions. Our perfomances since end of October have been absolute dross at times. The worst we have seen in years. There is no passion or hunger in the games. Baring the odd result in WBA the games are getting worse and worse. Its got to the point where the players are not seeking wins, we sit back always passing backwards to mark. Our attack has no bite, we have no one in the box as berbatov is always outside. Its great but whats the point if he has no one in front of him?
Jol is responsible for setting our team out and quote frankly what have they been doing on the training pitch? Its taken two wonder goals from our oldest player bar Mark to keep us in the last two games (which on paper we should be winning)....that should be an alarming sign in itself. Something is wrong with our team. We have the players but they are not clicking and they just look like strangers on a pitch at times.....Something has to change.

FulhamMic

QuoteWhile the club may not have backed Jol in transfers and sold our best players. Jol in a season and a half has taken the club backwards. It doesn't happen over night? Reality is that out team has become older not younger and the squad is weaker than it was when Jol came. So over night Jol OR the club have decided that we must live with what we have.

That is the reality. The reality of how we have played in the last 15 games is the reality.

Backwards? Last season, under Jol, we finished with our highest ever points total - that's hardly going backwards.

Again, you can blame Jol, or the club, or both but that's not the reality at all. Dempsey had his head turned, but the bid from Liverpool only came in the final couple of days of the transfer window and was derisory. It was rejected, and Dempsey was going nowhere until the eleventh hour when Tottenham came calling. The same goes for Dembele. It was believed by Jol and the club, perhaps you could argue naively, that no one was prepared to meet the release clause; but alas someone did, at the last minute. But, I ask what you expect the club to do? We know they tried to secure replacements on deadline day, but for whatever reason (clubs knowing we're desperate so inflating fees, wage demands, agent fees, work permits etc.) we were unable to sign any. What's unrealistic is to expect the club to have found replacements, ready to put pen to paper, waiting in the wings just incase someone comes in and buys the two D's. No player (or at least decent player) in their right mind is going to be prepared to do that!

We may be weaker in numbers, but not in quality. Look at those who left (excluding the two D's), both Murphy and Etuhu were past their best and Sa had hardly set the world on fire.

It's also ten games, not fifteen. Our performances dipped against Sunderland when Hangeland got sent off. And during those ten games we've had injuries to key players as well as suspensions and mistakes (looking at you Baird!) to deal with, all of which have contributed.

With one or two new signings, and being able to field a consistent, fully fit 11 for a run of game will soon have us rediscover the form we showed at the beginning of the season.

sunburywhite

If we hadn't beaten Pompey that time we would have been relegated

We didn't get relegated just as we didn't beat Wigan

We are struggling for whatever reason. That is reality
The team as a shadow of themselves. That is reality
The manager seems unable to change things. That is reality
Something has to change. That is fact
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

FulhamMic

Quote from: cottage cheese on January 14, 2013, 01:46:37 PM
Its not misfortune, its not injuries or suspensions. Our perfomances since end of October have been absolute dross at times. The worst we have seen in years. There is no passion or hunger in the games. Baring the odd result in WBA the games are getting worse and worse. Its got to the point where the players are not seeking wins, we sit back always passing backwards to mark. Our attack has no bite, we have no one in the box as berbatov is always outside. Its great but whats the point if he has no one in front of him?
Jol is responsible for setting our team out and quote frankly what have they been doing on the training pitch? Its taken two wonder goals from our oldest player bar Mark to keep us in the last two games (which on paper we should be winning)....that should be an alarming sign in itself. Something is wrong with our team. We have the players but they are not clicking and they just look like strangers on a pitch at times.....Something has to change.

If we can sort this out, our attack will have more bite and our defence will be stronger:

QuoteWe have a good squad; our problem is that we're lacking in midfield. In August, Dembele and Diarra looked like the perfect pairing, and then Sidwell and Diarra struck up a strong partnership once Dembele left. We were strong, we kept the ball, and we could win it back with ease. This is what we need now. Either through keeping them fit, or bringing in a new player or two.

mangoputney

I dont want Jol to walk & you make many fine points Fulham Mic

But Jol (tactics / why is Hangeland a wantaway Capt), the board, MAF, MAC (being tight & not planning for blatant departures) and the players (big ask to get through to Jan but gave up in Oct) all collectively need to get out of this funk

We are on the verge of doing a Newcastle

Re: Best of Brede us 'boo boys' 'realists' just expect a bit better, yes all teams have injuries & suspensions, but when your serving up utter sideways dross, chuck most leading positions, have a luxury striker being carried and very little fight & apparent problems between what Jol wants and is getting...

We need to start fighting harder, get our sh*t together

This bad patch is going on far too long and I would rather turn up against the likes of Southampton and Wigan etc than rely on 7/1 shots of turning over the top six to stop the rot

I want to stay up through commitment, system and results

Not just were top ten, good on paper, blind faith, we always up our game against the best cliches et al
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

FulhamMic

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 14, 2013, 01:49:48 PM
We are struggling for whatever reason. That is reality

Loss of key personnel, through no fault of the clubs, at the tail end of the transfer window, with little to no time to replace. Injuries. Suspensions. Mistakes by senior players. Ongoing, and no doubt distracting, contract negotiations. Lack of confidence. Crowd booing. That is reality.

The team as a shadow of themselves. That is reality

See above!

The manager seems unable to change things. That is reality

See above!

Something has to change. That is fact

See above!

sunburywhite

Loss of key personnel, through no fault of the clubs, at the tail end of the transfer window, with little to no time to replace. Injuries. Suspensions. Mistakes by senior players. Ongoing, and no doubt distracting, contract negotiations. Lack of confidence. Crowd booing. That is reality.

Jol suspended Dempsey two months before the window shut, so if he thought Dempsey would be playing for us this season then he shouldn't be in any job in football

Clubs have a list of players they want to bring in, you don't start looking for new players when the window opens. It is an ongoing job. Often (as in Dempseys case) players are tapped up before a window opens.

The lack of confidence by the players is due to a lack of confidence in the manager. That is reality
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

FFC1987

I've posted it before and I'll post it again ,We have become spoilt and punched above our means. Great post Mic, one thing I'll add is, we recently spent a lot of youth development players/schemes and facilities, not to mention the stadium increase. This is the direction of the club now and its going for a long term strategy of being a selling club which I'm happy about. We aren't a big enough club to financially progress all areas of the club so it appears the squad budget is taking a back burner for other projects. Its not great for our mid table status but we are where we are. Is there enough quality to see us through? Yes. Is there enough to push mid table? Only if certain players punch above their weight. Should we expect to spend in this window? A little but not beyond our means.

The point is realism.  

TonyGilroy

This crowd booing thing is a myth.

At the end certainly but not during the match. Reaction to bad play with groans and shouts at times but also attempts to rally the troops.

The atmosphere on Saturday was in no way hostile to Jol or the players.

FulhamMic

Jol suspended Dempsey two months before the window shut, so if he thought Dempsey would be playing for us this season then he shouldn't be in any job in football

Down to him refusing to attend the training camp. If the window had shut and Dempsey still a Fulham player, he'd have played this season, if only to put himself in the shop window for January or a big pay day in the summer.

Clubs have a list of players they want to bring in, you don't start looking for new players when the window opens. It is an ongoing job. Often (as in Dempseys case) players are tapped up before a window opens.

Indeed. But what they don't have is negotiated offers with all the selling teams, and negotiated contracts with all the players, all in place, just in case one of the Fulham starting XI decide to move on or get poached.

The lack of confidence by the players is due to a lack of confidence in the manager. That is reality

If there's a lack of confidence in the manager, explain our 8th place finish and highest ever points total last season. Explain our sterling start to the season. Explain the performances against Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea, all away from home. No confidence in the manager? Tosh!

domprague

'we should have taken three points home and away to Southampton'.

No, we looked nervous as hell at home and I was relieved we got a point.

Overall, you speak a lot of sense. Dembele was the crucial loss. Then Diarra, to injury.

We've got Duff and Petric back so let us see how they get on after being fully match fit.

My concern is that we look so disjointed in midfield and disorganised in defence.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

FulhamMic

My concern is that we look so disjointed in midfield and disorganised in defence.

If we fix the midfield, either through new signings or by keeping Sidwell and Diarra fit, then the defence will sort itself out, as it will once again have the cover it needs.