watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tactical Change Suggestion: Thoughts?

Started by Ordar, January 16, 2013, 10:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

I was thinking last night that the team might operate better in a different formation what do people think about a change to 5-3-2 with wingbacks

---------------Butland----------------
-----Senderos--Hangeland--Hughes----
Reither-------------------------Richardson
----------------Diarra--------------------
--------Sidwell--------Karagounis---------
---------------Ruiz-----------------------
------------------Berbatov---------------

My thinking behind this is that:
- None of our wingers have a final ball or can beat a man, so they are fairly useless. There is rarely anyone in the box anyway.
- The majority of our attacks come down the middle
- Would offer better protection for the defence and make us more solid, which seems neccessary given that we're not scoring many goals.
- Gives the option when attacking for Richardson to move into MF and Hughes to cover LB.
- Playing 3 in CM should enable us to control games easier.

Thoughts?

epsomraver

When did we sign Butland, have I missed some thing?

Ordar

bulgariawhite

I assume by your suggestion we drop all the young talent, or are you saying they sit on the bench till it doesn't work?

In the Enclosure

Totally agree.
Most teams crowd the midfield with hardworkers
we can only afford one luxury winger in a match.

With regards to goalkeeper Swartzer has saved our skin in
the last 2 games

Ordar

Well you say "all the young talent".... I presume you mean Kaca/Frei. Given that Jol never plays them both in the same side its not really that much of a change. Lets be honest, Frei isnt a winger, he's more of a number 10.

Kaca's final ball is abysmal and offers nothing defensively down that side. He's 22 now I believe, and I think he should be more advanced that he is. Surely if you play wide, you should be able to beat a man and deliver a cross. Neither of which he can do.

Briggs is only playing because Riise has been awful (and fallen out with Jol allegedly). I fully expect Richardson to play LB for the rest of the season.

Its not like Jol has thrown Donnegan or Minkwitz into the side even after all the CM injuries/lack of form.

King_Crud

I reckon you're onto something.

Something I commented on to my mate is that Kaca doesn't run forward for the through ball, he hangs back waiting for a pass to his feet. If we're not having the wingers bomb on then get the wing backs to do it from passes from the midfield.

filham

Worth a try and we have struggled all season to fill the left wing spot

However, I am not happy with Duff missing, he adds so much to the team

Ordar

I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks the current strategy with the wide players is working. Would you keep it as it is and try and bring players in for that system?

Neither Berbatov nor Ruiz get into the box to be crossed to, even if Kaca/Frei/Dejegah could actually cross the thing! Surely if you play with wingers, you need a Gignac/Crouch/Lukaku/Van Persie/Ba type player up front who will just try and score and not keep dropping deep

Riverside

Quote from: Ordar on January 16, 2013, 12:09:08 PM
I'd be interested to know if anyone thinks the current strategy with the wide players is working. Would you keep it as it is and try and bring players in for that system?

Neither Berbatov nor Ruiz get into the box to be crossed to, even if Kaca/Frei/Dejegah could actually cross the thing! Surely if you play with wingers, you need a Gignac/Crouch/Lukaku/Van Persie/Ba type player up front who will just try and score and not keep dropping deep

Sadly though I love seeing a team with wingers you are correct we do not have the personnel .

None can cross ( the best we have at crossing is Reither so this formation would give him more chances )
And even if they could cross the likelihood of Berbatov or Ruiz or Petric being on 6 yard line or near post is next to zero. Only one that might be there is Rodellega but then he would have to put it into the net. 

Now for this formation to work we need yet more midfield cover as the Diarra , Karagounis and Sidwell have no chance of being all fit at the same time !

Ordar

Can anyone suggest players that could replace anyone for that system? I still think we'd be much better suited to it.

Something like:

--------------Stekelenberg--------------
-----Senderos--Hangeland--Douglas------
Reither-------------------------Richardson
-----------------Sissoko------------------
------Huddlestone------Karagounis---------
---------------Ruiz-----------------------
------------------Berbatov---------------