more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pep Guardiola

Started by Ordar, January 16, 2013, 04:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:19:56 PM
Of course Wenger has had a great career as manager (maybe not arguably the last few years at Arsenal), Matt Busby I can't really comment on as I wasn't around in those days. The point is, I think it's worth proving yourself at other clubs (not necessarily other leagues) to be classed as one of the worlds best.

He's Barca's most successful manager ever, hardly a club that has lacked success over the years.

Do you not class Pele or Messi as among the best ever?  Or Pippo Inzaghi, or Paolo Maldini?  None of them (baring Pele's two years in the US) played in a different league, some even a different club, yet you really can't argue against their place as the very finest at what they did/do.

Jamie88

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 16, 2013, 06:24:18 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:19:56 PM
Of course Wenger has had a great career as manager (maybe not arguably the last few years at Arsenal), Matt Busby I can't really comment on as I wasn't around in those days. The point is, I think it's worth proving yourself at other clubs (not necessarily other leagues) to be classed as one of the worlds best.

He's Barca's most successful manager ever, hardly a club that has lacked success over the years.

Do you not class Pele or Messi as among the best ever?  Or Pippo Inzaghi, or Paolo Maldini?  None of them (baring Pele's two years in the US) played in a different league, some even a different club, yet you really can't argue against their place as the very finest at what they did/do.

Players are a completely different issue! For a world class player it is all on show - what you see is what you get, the player is performing his art in front of everyone. Messi for example doesnt need to move clubs to show what a great player he is. Managers I feel is very different. For example, how many of us really know what goes on behind doors at Fulham and what Martin Jol is reeallly like as a manager? The answer is simply, we dont. What we have to go on usually is their track record

And, just for the record, I have not said Guardiola isn't a good manager.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:34:41 PM
Players are a completely different issue! For a world class player it is all on show - what you see is what you get, the player is performing his art in front of everyone. Messi for example doesnt need to move clubs to show what a great player he is. Managers I feel is very different. For example, how many of us really know what goes on behind doors at Fulham and what Martin Jol is reeallly like as a manager? The answer is simply, we dont. What we have to go on usually is their track record

And Guardiola's track record is being Barca's most successful manager ever :P  he also won the fourth division with Barca B.  So has proved himself in another league ;)

Jamie88

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 16, 2013, 06:38:35 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:34:41 PM

And Guardiola's track record is being Barca's most successful manager ever :P  he also won the fourth division with Barca B.  So has proved himself in another league ;)

I thought Johan Cruyff won more trophies whilst at Barcelona and therefore most succesful? Anyway, as much as I can understand you disagreeing, I find it hard to believe you can't see my point.

Travers Barney

Quote from: EJL on January 16, 2013, 06:02:46 PM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 16, 2013, 05:50:21 PM
Quote from: EJL on January 16, 2013, 05:45:45 PM
Unfortunately, Admin, I don't agree with the 'too big a step up' comment. Germany's top teams (Bayern and Dortmund) are superior to the Premier League's and the League is just as competitive, if not more. You only have to look at the various combinations of teams finishing in the top four over the past decade to see that.
Yeah, but it's not like the German champions played and beat the English champions is it!  Oh, and United beat Bayern in 99 so they're also currently better than the Germans.
If only Bayern had battered Chelsea.
They did...but get your drift.

coyw
We are the whites

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:45:15 PM
I thought Johan Cruyff won more trophies whilst at Barcelona and therefore most succesful? Anyway, as much as I can understand you disagreeing, I find it hard to believe you can't see my point.

Nah, Guardiola surpassed him in his last season I believe, or at least the FCB site claims him to be with 13 trophies to Cruyff's 11.  Also, Cruyff had pretty much double the time to win those trophies compared to Guardiola.  I absolutely see your point though, I just disagree with it :P  No harm in that.

Anyway, we'll see next season how he adapts to a new league/team/ethos.  If it all goes tits up feel free to bring me up on it, but I think he will be a big success there.  Maybe not on par with his Barca success (if he is then he probably will be best ever), but he'll win them trophies.

Also, on a different point, I'm loving the hilariously arrogant reaction from English football fans on various websites.  Bayern being out of the spotlight, the Bundesliga being a step down, him being a coward etcetc.  Talk about vicarious self importance :P

LRCN

he won 14 trophies in 4 seasons... and won each of his first six competitions... don't think i need to add anything.

Jamie88

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 16, 2013, 06:52:17 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:45:15 PM

Nah, Guardiola surpassed him in his last season I believe, or at least the FCB site claims him to be with 13 trophies to Cruyff's 11.  Also, Cruyff had pretty much double the time to win those trophies compared to Guardiola.  I absolutely see your point though, I just disagree with it :P  No harm in that.

Anyway, we'll see next season how he adapts to a new league/team/ethos.  If it all goes tits up feel free to bring me up on it, but I think he will be a big success there.  Maybe not on par with his Barca success (if he is then he probably will be best ever), but he'll win them trophies.

Also, on a different point, I'm loving the hilariously arrogant reaction from English football fans on various websites.  Bayern being out of the spotlight, the Bundesliga being a step down, him being a coward etcetc.  Talk about vicarious self importance :P

I'm pretty sure he'll do fairly well there also...but given the fact that Bayern are the greatest side in Germany, he'd do well to mess that up!

Jamie88

Quote from: LRCN on January 16, 2013, 06:56:16 PM
he won 14 trophies in 4 seasons... and won each of his first six competitions... don't think i need to add anything.

But who's to say another manager given the identical squad of Barcelona in those 4 years wouldnt have done the same. The quality of the players there really is a step and a half above virtually all other clubs.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:58:00 PM
I'm pretty sure he'll do fairly well there also...but given the fact that Bayern are the greatest side in Germany, he'd do well to mess that up!

Then someone has the past 2 years :P

Tbh, it looks pretty similar to Barca when he took over.  Currently overshadowed by their main rivals, not won the league for a few years but have talented players (possibly with a few acting up).  Will definitely be an interesting league next year though, if Dortmund hold onto their players and Bayern strengthen some more.  Let's hope ESPN keep their coverage, which I'm sure will be more popular now that Guardiola is there.

LRCN

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 07:00:01 PM

But who's to say another manager given the identical squad of Barcelona in those 4 years wouldnt have done the same. The quality of the players there really is a step and a half above virtually all other clubs.

that is a ridiculous hypothetical question and could apply to every single great manager ever to exist.

Jamie88

Quote from: LRCN on January 16, 2013, 07:05:52 PM
Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 07:00:01 PM

that is a ridiculous hypothetical question and could apply to every single great manager ever to exist.

Not ridiculous at all. It definately couldnt be applied to all of the great managers, possibly only the ones who already had an incredible group of players and who had one club.

Adam87

Im a massive dortmund fan and have been for many years, cant stand munich, everything the club represents. Comapred to the fans of dortmund they are nothing.
I find it strange that he has gone to munich, espcially if munich win the champions league this year. If they win the league as well there will be nothing to acheive. So he wins the league 3 years running....there expected to...dortmund are their only real competition.

If england gets its new stadiums, ticket prices sorted and make everything in general much cheaper no one can comepete with our league. But i really think our league has alot to sort out in the next few years.

At least a certain Jose Mourinho will be back next year....

Jack Fulham

Guardiola has nothing to prove to anyone. He's won everything created a legacy at Barca to an extent where they're able to field an entire first XI of players of La Masia. Yes, he had a great team but he dismantled Rijkaard's team which was even better with Deco and Ronaldinho and got rid of them and won the treble in his first season, not bad for an inexperienced manager. I feel sorry for which ever manager that has to follow on from Guardiola and Tito because they've produced one of best teams ever. Will be interesting to see what he can achieve at Bayern, particularly with the resources they have.

PaulJ123

Clever move from Pep, he will no doubt win everything when he is at Bayern (which, as a lot of have said, is between them at Dortmund) and then leave to "have a break from football" at the end of his contract. He will then be able to walk into any job in the world for crazy crazy money a week thinking he will repeat that feat for the third time.

I'd like to see him go to someone like Arsenal and see if he can get them back to top again. At Barca and at Bayern he is walking into a team with stars already in there and basically a league of 2 teams that are going to win something. At Arsenal, he'd have to turn a barely top 4 squad into a team that can overhaul the manchesters/chelsea to win the league.

twang

Quote from: Admin on January 16, 2013, 04:18:26 PM
Not convinced by this guy, thought he had it on a plate at Barcelona, maybe he knows this as well and thinks the Premiership is too big of a jump. Maybe he's being sensible by testing him self at a lower platform.

Had it on a plate? Now that is rewriting history. Real had just won the league for the second year running and Barca finished in 3d place before he took over.

Pep inherited a lazy team, got rid of the biggest stars, gave the youngsters their chance and managed to get unbeatable results out of it all.

tomcolemanfry

Building his way up and through the foreign leagues. He'll be in English football by 2016.

God The Mechanic

Building his way up?? He's won the Champions League twice!! He's built already.