https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pep Guardiola

Started by Ordar, January 16, 2013, 04:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

Joining Bayern, 3 year deal. I'm shocked. Thought he was destined for the Prem

Admin

Not convinced by this guy, thought he had it on a plate at Barcelona, maybe he knows this as well and thinks the Premiership is too big of a jump. Maybe he's being sensible by testing him self at a lower platform.

vbg cottager

horrible news for me... I live in Austria and there are so many bayern fans around here.
comparable to united fans. arrogant and unlikeable

Ordar

You could be right. It is a bit of a "safe" move with only Dortmund as real competition (although they have an amazing side). The team at Bayern is fairly good at the moment so wont take alot of changing.

Still be interesting to see how he does without Messi/Xavi/Iniesta

CurryForMario

I think what will be interesting is to see how he does in Europe with them, and whether he could take his style of football to another country and be successful.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

LRCN

it would be ignorant to suggest the prem is so strong compared to the bundesliga. bayern are a fabulous team and the german league is equally as impressive as their recent european record and attraction for players suggests.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Admin on January 16, 2013, 04:18:26 PM
Not convinced by this guy, thought he had it on a plate at Barcelona, maybe he knows this as well and thinks the Premiership is too big of a jump. Maybe he's being sensible by testing him self at a lower platform.

Wouldn't say he had it on a plate.  Yeh they had good players but the club was an absolute shambles at the time.  Have a read of Graham Hunter's book.

Joe McDonald

Quote from: Admin on January 16, 2013, 04:18:26 PM

comedy gold!  Bayern are one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world.  In European terms only Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United and possibly AC Milan are bigger.

cebu

Getting the Bayern job is a lot like getting the Real Madrid job - whatever success you achieve is taken for granted by the club and the sense of entitlement is comparable to that of Liverpool fans.

Good luck Pep - you're gonna need it!

leonffc

Quote from: cebu on January 16, 2013, 05:03:16 PM
Getting the Bayern job is a lot like getting the Real Madrid job - whatever success you achieve is taken for granted by the club and the sense of entitlement is comparable to that of Liverpool fans.

Good luck Pep - you're gonna need it!

I've just tweeted that Liverpool fans choice to replace Rodgers, should he fail, is now out of reach. They must be gutted

EJL

Makes a lot of sense. Bayern have as much money to burn as anyone and an amazing team that needs little to no improvement. It'll be interesting to see how some of the players' change under Guardiola, in particular for me, Robben and Lahm.

Unfortunately, Admin, I don't agree with the 'too big a step up' comment. Germany's top teams (Bayern and Dortmund) are superior to the Premier League's and the League is just as competitive, if not more. You only have to look at the various combinations of teams finishing in the top four over the past decade to see that.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: EJL on January 16, 2013, 05:45:45 PM
Unfortunately, Admin, I don't agree with the 'too big a step up' comment. Germany's top teams (Bayern and Dortmund) are superior to the Premier League's and the League is just as competitive, if not more. You only have to look at the various combinations of teams finishing in the top four over the past decade to see that.

Yeah, but it's not like the German champions played and beat the English champions is it!  Oh, and United beat Bayern in 99 so they're also currently better than the Germans.

Jamie88

I have a question regarding Guardiola come to think of it..

He is always brought up when people talk about the greatest managers in the world, yet.. he has managed ONE team - Barcelona - obviously a team with many of the world greatest players, in what is one of the biggest clubs in the world. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident that even Lawrie Sanchez could win La Liga titles and cups in that position!
What has he done that no other manager couldve done? Ignore my ignorance if I am missing something here!

EJL

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 16, 2013, 05:50:21 PM
Quote from: EJL on January 16, 2013, 05:45:45 PM
Yeah, but it's not like the German champions played and beat the English champions is it!  Oh, and United beat Bayern in 99 so they're also currently better than the Germans.
If only Bayern had battered Chelsea.

EJL

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 05:54:58 PM

He is always brought up when people talk about the greatest managers in the world, yet.. he has managed ONE team - Barcelona - obviously a team with many of the world greatest players, in what is one of the biggest clubs in the world. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly confident that even Lawrie Sanchez could win La Liga titles and cups in that position!
What has he done that no other manager couldve done? Ignore my ignorance if I am missing something here!
Barcelona were underachieving for a side full of so many great players in Rijkaard's last season. Guardiola managed to get the most out of all those players. It was his idea to play Messi centrally and look how that's gone.

Jamie88

Quote from: EJL on January 16, 2013, 06:06:34 PM

Barcelona were underachieving for a side full of so many great players in Rijkaard's last season. Guardiola managed to get the most out of all those players. It was his idea to play Messi centrally and look how that's gone.

Well that obviously deserves some sort of credit, but until he has achieved success at at least another club I can't say I'm tooo impressed by his managerial career just yet

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Jamie88 on January 16, 2013, 06:10:54 PM

Well that obviously deserves some sort of credit, but until he has achieved success at at least another club I can't say I'm tooo impressed by his managerial career just yet

Do the likes of Wenger not impress you either?  He had an amount of success elsewhere but is basically only really known for Arsenal.  Or Sir Matt Busby?  I don't get this requirement to prove yourself in numerous leagues to show you're the best.

EJL

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 16, 2013, 06:14:46 PM

Do the likes of Wenger not impress you either?  He had an amount of success elsewhere but is basically only really known for Arsenal.  Or Sir Matt Busby?  I don't get this requirement to prove yourself in numerous leagues to show you're the best.
This is the thing. If I were to say that Sir Alex's managerial record is a farce because he's only managed British clubs, everyone would laugh in my face.

Jamie88

Quote from: God The Mechanic on January 16, 2013, 06:14:46 PM

Do the likes of Wenger not impress you either?  He had an amount of success elsewhere but is basically only really known for Arsenal.  Or Sir Matt Busby?  I don't get this requirement to prove yourself in numerous leagues to show you're the best.

Of course Wenger has had a great career as manager (arguably not the last few years at Arsenal), Matt Busby I can't really comment on as I wasn't around in those days. The point is, I think it's worth proving yourself at other clubs (not necessarily other leagues) to be classed as one of the worlds best.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: EJL on January 16, 2013, 06:02:46 PM
If only Bayern had battered Chelsea.

Genuinely one of the most depressing moments of my football following career.