more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Information regarding BH Riises quotes in norwegian paper

Started by Bilet, January 17, 2013, 03:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilet

Hi,

Got some really exciting information about the quotes made in the paper about the situation in Fulham. Bjorn Helge Riise was earlier today quoted in the norwegian paper smp.no. He said something like that lots of players at Fulham was unhappy with Jol. He later refused to have made those comments to the journalist and got Fulham to confirm it. He had, according to Sarah Brookes, talked to the club and told them that the comments were not true...

I got in contact with the journalist that wrote the article at smp.no. He told me that BH Riise made those comments, but that they were off the record. The journalist didn't judge them as that, but have later removed the article.

Lighthouse

Jol said as much in his press conf today and a written report from the Offal on the press conference can be found in 'todays stuff'
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Basil

Can't imagine this will help JAR's return to starting X1.

twang

http://www.tv2.no/sport/fotball/england/premierleague/bjoern-helge-riise-beklaget-jolkritikk-han-unnskyldte-seg-og-var-paa-graaten-3967836.html

Here's a pretty good article about the matter.

In short:
According to BHR he only said that Jol 'could look a bit arrogant' but that he has a good relationship with him.
BHR also said that, as far as he knows, there isn't a rift between Jol and JAR, but that his brother wants to play and might be looking 'to try something new'.
Jol confirms that no club has registered an interest in JAR. But 'if he won't play in the next few weeks, it's of course up to him (JAR) if he wants to leave'.

Bilet

This is the offical version. I got a confirmation from the journalist that wrote the original article that the quotes from the case was true, but that they were made off the record to the journalist and not to be published.

michaelread

sounds like sour grapes to me, bit wimpy too

you can say (lie) whatever you like about someone, if its "off the record" and "not to be published"

Forever Fulham

It wouldn't be the first time that Jol had made the gratuitous statement about no other club having expressed an interest in [player's name goes here].  Why say that in any event?

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 17, 2013, 05:55:14 PM
It wouldn't be the first time that Jol had made the gratuitous statement about no other club having expressed an interest in [player's name goes here].  Why say that in any event?

What meaning of `gratuitous' are you using here?

Presumably you also mean that he has previously said that "no other club having expressed an interest in [player's name goes here]" when there had been concrete interest. Which player(s) do you mean and what evidence do you have that he was lying?

Lighthouse

Blimey these posts become more and more like a day in court.

The defence rests m'lord. Which is why we let in so many late goals. I call the Austrailian Keeper Mark Swatsomething to give his evidence. IF he has it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 17, 2013, 07:13:01 PM

The defence rests m'lord. Which is why we let in so many late goals. I call the Austrailian Keeper Mark Swatsomething to give his evidence. IF he has it.

What is the point of a forum if it is just a place where anyone can post any invented nonsense and are not prepared to justify their views and provide the supporting evidence to their fellow supporters?

There are places for nonsense, such as Twitter, and places for those who believe in their own conspiracy theories, such as blogs. Forums should be places for real information and informed discussion.

The Bronsons

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on January 17, 2013, 07:06:48 PM

Presumably you also mean that he has previously said that "no other club having expressed an interest in [player's name goes here]" when there had been concrete interest. Which player(s) do you mean and what evidence do you have that he was lying?

Wow, talk about foot in mouth.

gra·tu·i·tous 
adj.
1. Given or granted without return or recompense; unearned.
2. Given or received without cost or obligation; free.
3. Unnecessary or unwarranted; unjustified: gratuitous criticism.

The meaning meant was clearly 3, i.e. unnecessary or unwarranted. As in "nobody asked the question, but Jol threw in the statement anyway when it wasn't necessary to make it".

Not sure what the rest of your post is based on, apart from maybe not understanding the word "gratuitous".

If you're going to be pedantic, it helps to know what the words mean.

ped·ant 
n.
1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
3. Obsolete A schoolmaster.

Forever Fulham

I apologize for not being clearer.  It's just that I recall Jol having made similar 'nobody has expressed an interest' statements about Dempsey and another player a while back.  I can't immediately recollect with certainty who that other player is.    I was intimating that Jol uses the press in a passive aggressive manner in dealings with players.  I could be wrong about it.  I won't fall on my sword over it, Maestro.  But that's my take anyway. 

domprague

:005:

You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Humbled

Quote from: domprague on January 17, 2013, 08:34:53 PM
:005:

he dropped it when he got in the box...

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 17, 2013, 08:32:56 PM
I apologize for not being clearer.  It's just that I recall Jol having made similar 'nobody has expressed an interest' statements about Dempsey and another player a while back.  I can't immediately recollect with certainty who that other player is.    I was intimating that Jol uses the press in a passive aggressive manner in dealings with players.  I could be wrong about it.  I won't fall on my sword over it, Maestro.  But that's my take anyway. 

I highly doubt he was being passive aggressive. More just honest, he strikes me as being a very honest, sometime too honest person.

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 17, 2013, 08:32:56 PM
I apologize for not being clearer.  It's just that I recall Jol having made similar 'nobody has expressed an interest' statements about Dempsey and another player a while back.  I can't immediately recollect with certainty who that other player is.    I was intimating that Jol uses the press in a passive aggressive manner in dealings with players.  I could be wrong about it.  I won't fall on my sword over it, Maestro.  But that's my take anyway.  

Fine.

My interpretation of the Dempsey saga is that Jol was saying that there were no firm offers when there was all that nonsense from Fenway and Liverpool.

Also, my view is that Jol just cannot help himself saying what he is thinking and feeling and, like all mortals, he cannot be 100% precise and accurate every time (and English is not his first language). He is probably a bit too open for his own good in press conferences and similarly with the players. It is his manner. And he is the manager so does have the final say. I would be happy to work for him because I think that you would always know where you are and what he wants and I don't get the sense that he would be trying to manipulate you.

Quote from: twang on January 17, 2013, 04:34:50 PM
http://www.tv2.no/sport/fotball/england/premierleague/bjoern-helge-riise-beklaget-jolkritikk-han-unnskyldte-seg-og-var-paa-graaten-3967836.html

Here's a pretty good article about the matter.

In short:
According to BHR he only said that Jol 'could look a bit arrogant' but that he has a good relationship with him.
BHR also said that, as far as he knows, there isn't a rift between Jol and JAR, but that his brother wants to play and might be looking 'to try something new'.
Jol confirms that no club has registered an interest in JAR. But 'if he won't play in the next few weeks, it's of course up to him (JAR) if he wants to leave'.
Quote from: The Bronsons on January 17, 2013, 08:15:33 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on January 17, 2013, 07:06:48 PM
It wouldn't be the first time that Jol had made the gratuitous statement about no other club having expressed an interest in [player's name goes here].  Why say that in any event?

Wow, talk about foot in mouth.

gra·tu·i·tous  
adj.
1. Given or granted without return or recompense; unearned.
2. Given or received without cost or obligation; free.
3. Unnecessary or unwarranted; unjustified: gratuitous criticism.

The meaning meant was clearly 3, i.e. unnecessary or unwarranted. As in "nobody asked the question, but Jol threw in the statement anyway when it wasn't necessary to make it".

Not sure what the rest of your post is based on, apart from maybe not understanding the word "gratuitous".

If you're going to be pedantic, it helps to know what the words mean.

ped·ant  
n.
1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
3. Obsolete A schoolmaster.

I asked the original poster because I cannot find any evidence that really justifies the use of `gratuitous'. There is no evidence in the club report of the press conference or in Jol's video interview.

The only reference that seems to come close is in twang's summary: "Jol confirms that no club has registered an interest in JAR. But 'if he won't play in the next few weeks, it's of course up to him (JAR) if he wants to leave'".

I will go to a dictionary to confirm the meaning of `confirm' but my suspicion is that it refers to a comment in response to a question and therefore not a statement that is gratuitous.

Similarly, from memory, the comment about Dempsey was in response to questions in a press conference.

Forever Fulham

You may be right.  You're pretty perceptive in your posts.  I'm not sold yet.  Must be an 'eye of the beholder' issue for which we'll never know for sure.  I'm not buying he's such an honest, too honest for his own good, fellow.  But you've called me on it, so I'll say no more on it until I see/hear something more definitive.  I've been crabby all week.

Fa
Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 18, 2013, 07:34:41 AM
You may be right.  You're pretty perceptive in your posts.  I'm not sold yet.  Must be an 'eye of the beholder' issue for which we'll never know for sure.  I'm not buying he's such an honest, too honest for his own good, fellow.  But you've called me on it, so I'll say no more on it until I see/hear something more definitive.  I've been crabby all week.

Fair enough. I understand that not everyone is going to agree about Jol. I don't agree with Jol when he plays Ruiz out wide.

Sorry that I was a bit sharp but there seemed to be quite a few attacks on Jol yesterday that lacked the courtesy of justifying their bitterness by getting their facts straight. I recognise that you got some of my left over frustration at those posts.