watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham: now is the time!

Started by BishopsParkFantastic, January 19, 2013, 07:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BishopsParkFantastic

I have been accused on this Board of being 'half glass empty' since Fulham's Norwich win in 2012. I agree with that! However, can 2013 be the catalyst for me becoming 'half glass full'?

We are unbeaten this year! We are into the next round of the FA Cup, where we can produce a shock result against Man Utd? A draw away against Man City today would be a great result. Recently, Jol has been giving our younger players an increased opportunity to play in the 1st team – rotating Frei with Kaca, playing Briggs at LB, bringing Grimmer into the 1st team squad, and giving Stockdale a chance in goal.

I think we absolutely need to buy new players for key positions in this transfer window. With Kelly going to Reading, I believe we now have a net £19 million from transfers since the end of last season. So, my view on what's happening... and where we should be going:

Goalkeeper
Stockdale: Hasn't quite made the best of his recent opportunity in goal. Pleased for him to be out on loan back at Hull.  I wish him well, and that we complete his transfer to a club where he is valued and for whom he is playing well – may resurrect his England career?!
Stekelenberg: A must bring-in if Stockdale goes, and would be ideal to take over from Schwarzer at some point this season.

Left Back
Riise: Has maybe outlived his time at Fulham – another player to go to Reading?
Richardson: I think Richardson's 1st team future at Fulham is at LB. He could make this position his own, if he commits to it!
Briggs: I've never been convinced that LB is Briggs best position; however, I think he would be good cover behind Richardson for the LB position, and to play against particular opposition

Right Back
Riether: We must sign him up now, to follow his loan!
Grimmer: He has been a 1st team sub, and is highly rated. I would develop him as cover for Riether

Centre Back
Hangeland: I think we must extend his contract now. He is quality.

Centre Midfield
M'Vila: Would be a great player in CM – absolutely the powerful, commanding, creative player we need. Will make the difference!
Chris David: Real potential – but, although he may have 'signed', still has not been included on the official web site team squads and, it may be he is on probation to prove his fitness before his contract is confirmed. From what Jol has said, he is unlikely to play anyway until next season. Perhaps his fitness is the issue that stopped him being signed in the last transfer window, when it was all confirmed in the media as a 'done deal'.
Malanda: Would be a great signing but, I don't think will happen if we get M'Vila. Only 18 – that will reduce our 1st team average age! I'd buy him and M'ila (the combined fee would probably be equal to the money we got for Dembele!)
Derek Boateng: As defensive CM I think would be a good signing, particularly if we are proposing to let Diarra go, which I would because he is too injury prone - and even though Boateng can't play yet because of the African Nations Cup.

Although I have been critical of Jol's transfer buys, team selections, treatment of our young players etc., I hope he achieves success with us. Now, is the time we should be hearing plans for work to start on the new stand – the time period for appeals to the planning decision has ended.

Fulham - now is the time!!

RaySmith

I agree we could have a good second half to the season, and agree that Jol has done a lot of positive things at the club, which hopefully may begin to bear fruit.

However, re bringing in new players, who we do really need, even as cover - well, I don't think Jol has much control over this - apart from saying I would like to buy so and so.

But I do think there will be  a couple of signings before the close of the window, and that the club is working hard behind the scenes.

Burt

I just hope that regardless of who is in the first team, they visibly show that they give a toss. We have had a recent sequence of games where the commitment and spirit were just not there. Fortunately there have been signs that it has returned.

COYW

Bedford White

I don't want to rain on your parade here old chap but I actually believe that we don't that we have transfer budget of £19 million as you claim, the money from the summer sales is in MAF's offshore account, if we have any money it'll be more in the region of £3-5m.

I think M'Villa will be out of our reach financially, he'll probably go for a pay day at QPR
Equally any players worth £5m+ are out of reach for Jol.

There has been a lot of noise in the last 24 hours about Stekelenburg signing but I've found nothing official or from a trust worthy source to confirm this. Im afraid it might just be more BS!

In regard to Hangeland, surely had he wanted to stay with us he'd have signed by now. It seems he's on his way but where. Hopefully not QPR but I'm sure we'll take their money if offered. Market value is £7m so he'll probably sell for £5m. That would leave us even more exposed at the back but with a budget to purchase. But could we buy to replace big H?

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: Bedford White on January 19, 2013, 09:12:41 AM
I don't want to rain on your parade here old chap

Oh dear! Back to half glass empty ....

TonyGilroy

None of us have a clue as to what sort of money is available to strengthen the squad.

We'll have a better idea by February 1st but even then we may simply have been unable to spend money we have on targets who choose to go elsewhere.

It's currently frustrating and worrying but we don't have the information to adequately analyse what the transfer activity is likely to be in the next two weeks.

Each of us is optimistic or pessimistic by temperament and we're either going to be validated or not.

I think a decent quality midfielder will be signed and letting Kelly and Stockdale go suggests replacements are lined up but i wouldn't put money on that.

bulgariawhite

My concern is will we get caught short in the last days of the window, like we did in the summer. With Brede going and Reither possible stay being ruined by a late offer to his home club? Leaving us with no time to buy replacements again. I have to have faith that our management learn't their lessons from the last window. I just have that feeling that there is an air of complacency in the heirarchy that "we are too good to be relegated " so there is no panic. Even if we managed last day transfers, the new players would need time to fit in. During this time results could push us into a dog fight to stay up. With the youngsters the future looks bright, but right now the time looks dark.

TonyGilroy

Hangeland goes this month only if we want him to.

Whatever money is offered and whatever Hangeland might want he remains under contract and I simply don't believe that Premier League survival will be jeopardised by selling players without suitable replacements.

It's not impossible that we want Hangeland to go to make room for a replacement (Douglas?) rather than lose him for nothing in the summer.

Lighthouse

As someone who has been accused of not having a glass at all let alone one that is half empty. I think that Jol wants players but the club say no for whatever reason and we are messing about with older players. Some of whom are very good and some who are always injured.

I do fear we will repeat the problems of the last window and will still hear people cry that nobody could have know Brede would go to QPR or Berbatov would go to Sunderland. When we knew it was possible and the club couldn't replace them on the last day.

This doesn't feel a happy club and our cup exploits may have helped because the players looked interested. I return to the problem of the set up of the side as well as the quality of players. But will not repeat the argument.

Will we bring in a good player or two? Who knows? Can we continue as we are? No I don't think so.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

We are on the edge of a relegation fight and at the business end of the transfer window with little idea of whether or not we can bring in  desperatly needed quality midfield replacements.

The team form is up and down, it seems anything can happen. Any predictions made by us fans could prove to be totally wrong.

The ray of sunlight is the form of Karagounis, if he can keep free of injury he could just lead us tosafety.

bulgariawhite

I'd like to think Berbatov will want to shine today, but City will be wise to our only source of opportunity by just blocking out Ruiz and Bebatov we are a bit predictable now. I think it will be backs to the wall, with an opportunity to score one on the break, due to them being over confident.

CurryForMario

He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

jarv

It is hard wired into football supporters. When things don't go well, all the worries and negative thoughts come out.
I think 12 more points will be OK., just.

Bobby2012

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on January 19, 2013, 07:42:23 AM
Chris David: Real potential – but, although he may have 'signed', still has not been included on the official web site team squads and, it may be he is on probation to prove his fitness before his contract is confirmed. From what Jol has said, he is unlikely to play anyway until next season. Perhaps his fitness is the issue that stopped him being signed in the last transfer window, when it was all confirmed in the media as a 'done deal'.

I agree that Jol has done a lot of positive things at the club and bringing young players into the 1st team squad, and giving Stockdale a chance in goal. Players like Kaca, Frei, David and Grimmer are great talents for the future of our club.

Chris David have signed contract and that has been confirmed in August on the official website of Twente and Fulham. There was a some sort of (verbal) agreement in place to snap him up in January. I think this was the reason why we have see in October 2012 that Chris David was at Fulham on Fifa 2013.

The player confirm his move to Fulham on his website www.chrisdavid.nl (look profile).