watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham want Roma's Stekelenburg, reveals agent

Started by Bobby2012, January 19, 2013, 04:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby2012

The Cottagers' manager Martin Jol is a long-term admirer of the Netherlands goalkeeper who has lost his place at the Giallorossi, and could tie up a deal for the end of January
Jan 19, 2013 6:12:00 PM

The Netherlands international, 30, is out of favour with the Italian side and is thought to be available for a cut-price fee of around £4 million. Stekelenburg played under Jol at Ajax and the Fulham boss is confident of completing a deal after allowing David Stockdale to join Hull.

But his agent Rob Jansen revealed that there are other clubs interested in signing the 6ft 6in shot stopper, with Arsenal and Barcelona both linked.

"We are working on some things," he told Goal.com. "It's true Martin Jol knows him well but there are more situations which we are dealing with at the moment.

"There are more options that could be a possibility but we are moving step by step. It could be by the end of January and otherwise we will pick it up later on."

Stekelenburg has spent most of the season on the bench after losing his place to Mauro Goicoechea. And Jansen admitted his lack of action means he is growing frustrated with boss Zdenak Zeman.

"It's a serious problem of course between him and the coach," he said.

"We are dealing with the situation with Roma in a very transparent and correct way. He's not made any final decision about leaving or whether he will stay there.

"We are looking at the market and if we have to act then we know what to do. The Premier League is one of the best competitions in the world so for every player wants to experience that."

vbg cottager

Stekelenburg would be a huge signing! but I still think Stocks should be our future number one...
these two competing wouldn't be bad but then both need to get enough games

btings

It seems from this article that his agent doesn't want him to come here, at least not on the terms we're currently prepared to offer.

nose

amazing, a goalkeepr is one of the last things we need.
amidfileder a forward a new manager BUT not a new goalkeeper top of my list

Denver Fulham

Quote from: nose on January 19, 2013, 07:15:31 PM

That's not really true. Again today Schwarzer conceded a goal where he should have done better. That's become a more regular pattern plus he's 40. We need a new goalkeeper, and need to buy one if Jol doesn't trust Stockdale, which it seems he doesn't.

It's not our PRIMARY (or secondary) concern if the budget is limited, but we definitely could do with an upgrade between the posts, especially if we're scraping every point to get to 40.

All that said, go find a freaking midfielder who can maintain and pass the ball. That's priority 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

JustOverTheRiver

If it is him or nothing this January then I'll take him

nose

Quote from: Denver Fulham on January 19, 2013, 07:45:54 PM
Quote from: nose on January 19, 2013, 07:15:31 PM

That's not really true. Again today Schwarzer conceded a goal where he should have done better. That's become a more regular pattern plus he's 40. We need a new goalkeeper, and need to buy one if Jol doesn't trust Stockdale, which it seems he doesn't.

It's not our PRIMARY (or secondary) concern if the budget is limited, but we definitely could do with an upgrade between the posts, especially if we're scraping every point to get to 40.

All that said, go find a freaking midfielder who can maintain and pass the ball. That's priority 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

if our central midfielder from greece, who everyone here soeems to love but I think is not all that, hadn't needlessly lost possesion, and if sidwell had of tracked da silva as he should have, then scharzers very good save may not have fallen to one of the world's best players. I agree. and at blackpool if briggs would have cleared the ball or the ref noticed the blackpool forward look round and then back straight into schwarzer we may not have conceded against blackpool.

the great man is not quite what he was but he surely is not a problem. if we put the ball in the other net, or even have a shot or two occasionally from inside the box it would be more use.

stockdale was and will be a great keeper as soon as allowed to play a bit.

cebu

There's a rumours thread here:

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=27010.1080

where westcliff white writes:

"barcelona have enquired about steklenburg as valdes not signing a new deal. they want to sell valdes now or in the summer and have stek replace him"

But it's just another rumour, right?

A Humble Man

The one position we desperately need to fill is the No 1 keeper spot both Mark and Stockdale have become goal conceding keepers and that is not acceptable.  I suspect Mark has made more serious mistakes this season than in the whole of his career.

Sentiment blinds fans (and managers) to reality.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Forever Fulham

It seemed to me that Schwarzer's redirection of that hard shot to the side was the next best thing he could do, having been unable to catch and control the ball.  Silva made a low probability shot from a hard angle.  To me, that's the moment at which the keeper messed up.  The angle was cut off at that point, leaving Silva only the tightest window within which to put the ball into the net.  I expect a goalie to better defend against shot hard angle follow up shots.  Now, maybe I am not being fair to the man.  Did you think he had enough time to reset himself?  Would a younger keeper have been able to do so?