News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is there a bigger picture from Torres's concerns?!

Started by Tktd, April 25, 2010, 11:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tktd

Fernando Torres is concerned his health is at risk by playing for Liverpool in the Premier League and fears he could be injured for life if he stays in England.

All the recent speculation has seen the Reds' star striker being linked with £60million move to Manchester City in the summer.

But the former Atletico Madrid marksman has hinted he will leave the British Isles if he does say goodbye to Anfield.

"The Premier League is such a tough competition and I have always admired this championship and the players who are here," Torres, whose season has been scuppered by a knee injury which could see him miss the start of the World Cup with Spain, told The News Of The World.

"This is my third season and I'm still amazed to see (Steven) Gerrard, (Wayne) Rooney and (Frank) Lampard, players who have been here a long time, still playing at such a high level and with such impressive rhythm because the English league really wears down a player.

"I just can't imagine what state I'll be in within five or six years if I continue to play here - it could easily give me problems when I stop playing. The physical level is superior to all other countries."

Ruthless
Torres has admitted that he would not have come to England had it not been for Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez, who has the right managerial approach for the 26-year-old to improve his game.

"If I score twice in a game I want to hear that I played badly to help me do even better next time," he added.

"Rafa is ruthless and sometimes it is tiring but he knows the right way to deal with me.

"I have put in a lot of effort but you always need someone who brings the best out in you, someone who is very demanding.

"If Rafa had not been here I would never have come. He has taught me a lot and he has helped me go beyond my limits and to be the player I am today."

He seems to be struggling alot with the physical demans which you'd never have expected of such a top player who's done so well since he's been here. It would be a massive shame to see him leave if he did due to the physical demands of the league. Is there any way we can sort it out? Obviously the competetiveness is what makes the premiership one of the best and most competetive but if it leaves top players thinking they can't cope anymore and want to leave the league it does come to a point where it becomes slightly counter-productive. I mean I as a fan want to be able to see the best players in the world! Don't we all?

Rupert

Putting my Mr Cynical hat on for a few moments, I suspect the brighter top players (and Torres appears to be pretty smart) are noticing the Premiership is starting to lose the world class star players to Spain and may be preparing the ground to go there themselves as the Spanish economy recovers at a far faster rate than ours, making their wealth all the easier to enjoy. Plus there has been some election talk about taxing the super-rich, which includes the top football players. If that happened it would, as usual, make those with wealth, and no ties, leave the country in their droves.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Tktd

Quote from: Rupert on April 25, 2010, 11:38:37 AM
Putting my Mr Cynical hat on for a few moments, I suspect the brighter top players (and Torres appears to be pretty smart) are noticing the Premiership is starting to lose the world class star players to Spain and may be preparing the ground to go there themselves as the Spanish economy recovers at a far faster rate than ours, making their wealth all the easier to enjoy. Plus there has been some election talk about taxing the super-rich, which includes the top football players. If that happened it would, as usual, make those with wealth, and no ties, leave the country in their droves.

Most really wealthy people left as soon as they knew the recession was going to hit!

blingo

Rupert I would like to know how you work out the Spanish economy is recovering fast than ours? that is complete rubbish m8.

Logicalman

Quote from: blingo on April 25, 2010, 12:06:15 PM
Rupert I would like to know how you work out the Spanish economy is recovering fast than ours? that is complete rubbish m8.

You've got a point there Mr. B, as it currently stands, Greece, Spain Italy, Portugal and Ireland are considered the most at risk due to their rising Government debts.

In any case, can we ever believe Torres? The guy is a complete muppet, especially after these headlines just 15 months ago:

Fernando Torres: I will not join Manchester City because I want my daughter to have a Scouse accent

Fernando Torres has dismissed the idea of a mega-money move to Manchester City - because he wants his family to grow up as Scousers.

The Spanish striker insisted yesterday that he feels as though he was almost born and bred on Merseyside, after settling in so well at the Anfield club.

And with City making strong noises about a record-breaking attempt to sign him, the striker dismissed the idea because he wants his children to grow up with Liverpool in their blood.

There has even been talk of a £75million bid to match the world record fee Real Madrid paid for Cristiano Ronaldo, but Torres insisted yesterday that any English club is wasting their time in trying to lure him away from Liverpool.
Click here to find out more!

His baby daughter Nora was born earlier this year, and he revealed that he wants her to grow up with a Scouse accent.

"I really feel at home here. From the first day I came I have felt that Anfield is my home - I feel like I am from Liverpool, and I want that for my family too," he said.

"I hope to be here for a long time and if my daughter speaks English and Scouse, I will be proud. For me, Anfield is the best place in England.

"This is my home, and it helps that I have learned the language. Have I picked up any Scouse? Deffo! I am picking up words all the time."

Torres is is now in his third season with Liverpool and is well on the way to becoming an Anfield legend after an impressive 48 league goals in just 67 appearances.

He needs two more to shatter the record for the quickest half century of goals in the club's history - held jointly by Sam Raybould and Albert Stubbins - and if he gets it in the next 12 matches then he will beat their mark by a staggering 30 games.

Yet even though he feels so at home and the fans idolise him as one of the greatest the club has ever seen, he insisted that he will only feel he has truly arrived at Liverpool when he wins a trophy for the club.

"The fans have seen some of the best players in the world playing for Liverpool, and now they sing my name, which is incredible for me, just incredible," he said.

"It's amazing to score at Anfield and amazing to score in front of the Kop. When I hear people sing my name it's the best feeling I can have on the pitch.

"But really, I would like to be remembered as a player who won things for Liverpool. I have plenty of years here, I am sure about that, and I hope the trophies will come soon.

"I have only been here two years, and not won anything yet, only scored some goals. But I hope in a few years I can write another book, explaining about the trophies I have won at Liverpool."

So, he's got the lying down to an art, just the thieving to go then!!!  (sorry, couldn't resist  :dft012: )

Rupert

Quote from: blingo on April 25, 2010, 12:06:15 PM

Blingo, as it stands, the UK is at the bottom of the pile for getting out of the recession. Spain is in the Euro, as are the others mentioned, and can (and, if necessary, will) be bailed out by their mates to prevent harm to their own economies. We, for better or worse (and I think, usually, better) are on our own and are in no position to point at other nations level of debt. God help us if we lose the triple A credit rating, as has been threatened, we can't even sell off our gold reserves to raise cash as some financial genius did that several years ago when the price had hit rock bottom.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FatFreddysCat

Rupert read any expat sites in Spain and it's all doom and gloom with no hope for any better in the future, i believe they have the highest unemployment in Europe, and they are in( PIGS ) Portugal Ireland or Italy Greece and of course the S stands for Spain. Yessss 1-0 Fulham.

blingo

Rupert I live over here m8 and believe me the Spanish economy -with or without help from the EU- is currently in a far far worse position than the Uk. In fact, if you ever want to buy property in spain, NOW is the time to fill your boots. 20% unemployment and a very fragile position for the government in terms of their TOTAL economy is not a great advert and even if the EU help them a la Greece, there is NO WAY that they can possibly recover before the UK. A big part of their economy is construction, they have overbuilt and of course there are far fewer buyers. There are regions that will keep their prices, but they will take a long time to sort themselves out.

There is also talk over here of limiting club expenditure on players wages. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

finnster01

I think Torres has gone a bit handbags actually
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead