watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Not the midfield's fault

Started by Forever Fulham, January 26, 2013, 11:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Not today anyway.  Our defense (except for Riether) was awful.  Aaron Hughes had a terrible day.  Shwartzer should have saved the second goal; it was shot from enough range, and close enough to him, that he should have stopped it.  The Hughes handball--what can you say?  He should have been taken off right then and there.  Unforgivable.  And he played worse after that. And still Jol left him in.  Duff did OK.  I'm ashamed of our lack of courage in the final third.  We had our chances.  Got the ball up the field and close to or at the top of the 18, but then...nothing.  No heart.  No belief.  No grit.  Too few bursts into high percentage shot areas.  No Dempsey-like qualities.  If we have no confidence in the final third, then defend like savages. Stoke 'em.  Instead, we played soft in defense and a half step too slow.  No more Molson's for me.  I'll just get depressed.  Off to the movies.  She says our choices are "Argo" or "Silver Linings Playbook". Which is funnier?  I need a good laugh about now.

EJL

Rooney's goal was brilliant. Incredibly harsh to say Schwarzer should've saved it.

HatterDon

Unless you believe that a quality midfield has at least one player that can protect the back four. Sidwell was one of United's best players today, and Bairdihno was just horrible.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Deanothefulhamfan

Schwarzer was our motm.... worst game for reither in a fulham shirt, but still our player of the season..... No midfield no defence, hangeland has given up with Fulham which is such a shame..... We had no midfeld until djegahah came on.... Berbatov and Ruiz are both lazy luxury players.... no team spirit , and nobody bothered for playing for the shirt

cmg

Despite manifest failings in defence and in attack in this latest, and in many other matches during this depressing spell, I cannot agree that it is 'not the midfield's fault'.
Our midfield has been fundamental to our poor displays throughout. It has become like the Bermuda Triangle; the ball goes in: it doesn't come out. At least, not in any useful, attacking way.
I don't wish to invoke the litany of departed heroes, but, previously we had players who could either pass the ball out of midfield in a creative way or carry (dribble) it out in a creative way. Until this problem is addressed we will continue to struggle.

The Bronsons

I watched a recording of our the 2-2 draw at home against United in the week, from a couple of years ago, and the difference between that and yesterday was frightening. Then, Murphy was in everything, moving the ball quickly. And there was movement, all over the place - loads of options for Murphy every time he looked up.

It is *not* the defence at fault, it's the midfield. I'd say it's the strikers as well, if we had any, but we don't, so I won't.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: Forever Fulham on January 26, 2013, 11:52:33 PM
Not today anyway.  Our defense (except for Riether) was awful.  Aaron Hughes had a terrible day.  Shwartzer should have saved the second goal; it was shot from enough range, and close enough to him, that he should have stopped it.  The Hughes handball--what can you say?  He should have been taken off right then and there.  Unforgivable.  And he played worse after that. And still Jol left him in.  Duff did OK.  I'm ashamed of our lack of courage in the final third.  We had our chances.  Got the ball up the field and close to or at the top of the 18, but then...nothing.  No heart.  No belief.  No grit.  Too few bursts into high percentage shot areas.  No Dempsey-like qualities.  If we have no confidence in the final third, then defend like savages. Stoke 'em.  Instead, we played soft in defense and a half step too slow.  No more Molson's for me.  I'll just get depressed.  Off to the movies.  She says our choices are "Argo" or "Silver Linings Playbook". Which is funnier?  I need a good laugh about now.

The central midfield is the 'engine room' of the team - protects and provides options for the defense, and feeds the attack. It needs 2 top quality players to be at its best, to provide leadership, direction and control tempo - fundamental to the success of core team performance.

Since we beat Norwich 5-0 it has been central midfield that we HAD to address. Frimpong might provide a solution for the 'holding' CM position (defensive) but we urgently need another 'offensive' CM player (attacking), with vision, creativity and leadership skills. We need that before the end of this transfer window......It is a problem for Fulham - our defense is not getting protection, our attack poor service. Without addressing this situation now, we will continue to concede goals and not get the best out of berbatov to score goals.