watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Time to get this started again??

Started by Jambo, January 29, 2013, 03:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jem

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Oiseau

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 30, 2013, 09:58:29 AM
I mean I'd understand your point if it was the Eric Miller stand and we were changing it but it's not so I'm confused as to the disrespectful nature. I might be wrong and your point may be valid but im struggling with the logic of it?

If a stand has already been named, you can't just rename it. It's incredibly disrespectful to the history of the club. I'm not saying that Mo doesn't deserve to have a stand named after him, because he does, but imagine if someone wanted to rename the Johnny Haynes stand? Naming things doesn't work like that. I also think it's a bit crass to name things after living individuals.

I say we name the Riverside extension after Mo, not the entire stand which should always be the Eric Miller stand.

TonyGilroy

I take it you know who Eric Miller was?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Miller_(businessman)

For very good reasons his name was dumped many years ago.

I think the new Riverside stand should be named after MAF and during his lifetime as well.

Oiseau

I do know who he was.

I also think that it's weird to rename a stand after it's still officially been named, though. Miller might have been dubious but he's still an important part of our history.

TonyGilroy

FFC1987

Quote from: Oiseau on January 30, 2013, 02:56:04 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on January 30, 2013, 09:58:29 AM
I mean I'd understand your point if it was the Eric Miller stand and we were changing it but it's not so I'm confused as to the disrespectful nature. I might be wrong and your point may be valid but im struggling with the logic of it?

If a stand has already been named, you can't just rename it. It's incredibly disrespectful to the history of the club. I'm not saying that Mo doesn't deserve to have a stand named after him, because he does, but imagine if someone wanted to rename the Johnny Haynes stand? Naming things doesn't work like that. I also think it's a bit crass to name things after living individuals.

I say we name the Riverside extension after Mo, not the entire stand which should always be the Eric Miller stand.

Sorry I have to disagree again here. I struggle to see the logic, it seems looking for a problem when fan's are simply trying to show a good gesture to arguably the best chairmen the club have had. (I said arguably so old fella's don't look too much into this, I'm a young un). I could again understand if we were calling craven cottage, the Fayed stadium but again, it's called the Riverside, not really associated with anyone (directly) and its just one stand and not the whole stadium affected. And regarding History, trust me I'm a historian and understand the importance but again it's not iconic and its creating history so I really don't see the disrespectful nature of this. I however value your point and can see your point of view however much I disagree with it :)

Fulham1959

I signed it today, thinking it referred to the proposed new stand  -  but after reading all the posts and re-checking I realised it didn't . 

Surely the petition needs updating or a new campaign should be started in respect of the proposed stand, on this and other websites and in TOOFIF ?

FFC1987

Quote from: Fulham1959 on January 31, 2013, 12:22:50 PM
I signed it today, thinking it referred to the proposed new stand  -  but after reading all the posts and re-checking I realised it didn't . 

Surely the petition needs updating or a new campaign should be started in respect of the proposed stand, on this and other websites and in TOOFIF ?

Its regarding the new development of the stand which is a part of our history so people are trying to reflect it as such by naming it the man who allowed this to happen.