more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Q & A vs. Manchester United

Started by The Hole, January 31, 2013, 09:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hole

Hello all again,

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Fulahm vs. Manchester United. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan(s) with the aim of offering a balanced view.

We have done this before:

http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2012/08/25/match-preview-manchester-united-vs-fulham
http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2011/12/21/match-preview-fulham-vs-manchester-united

A link to friendsoffulham.com will be included in the published article.

Cheers,
Andrew

Burt

Hi Andrew,

Welcome back...

Which Qs would you be asking? I am sure there would be a few here who would give the balanced view you are after, and others who would also be quite prepared to give unbalanced views too!!

The Hole

Thank you for the welcome, Burt. Some of the questions are from the SEA's community.

1. What are your thoughts on Saturday's game? What team is Martin Jol likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United's team will Jol look to exploit?

2. What are your thoughts on Fulham's 2012-13 season? What were your expectations for the season and have they been met? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season?

3. Who have been Fulham's best players this season? And Why?

4. What are your thoughts on Jol? Is he the right man to take Fulham forward?

5. What are your thoughts on Berbatov? Do you enjoy watching him? Is he a luxury or a necessity in what could be a relegation battle for Fulham?

Thank you.

BarryP

1. What are your thoughts on Saturday's game? What team is Martin Jol likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United's team will Jol look to exploit? 

After the FA Cup thrashing it is difficult to expect a positive outcome but anytime Fulham are at home I am hopeful. I expect United will likely hold the possession advantage with Fulham counter-attacking when possible. With that in mind and Berbatov seemingly out for the matchup there is a good chance Fulham will line up in a 4-4-1-1 with Rodallega up top and Ruiz sitting in behind him.   

2. What are your thoughts on Fulham's 2012-13 season? What were your expectations for the season and have they been met? What are you expectations for the remainder of the season? 

My hopes for this season were very high until our losses at the end of the summer transfer season. The best two words to describe the season-to-date for me are inconsistent and lackluster. 

Sacha Riether has easily been Fulham's most consistent performer. Berbatov is both the most talented and temperamental. 

Jol is a bit frustrating for me. I think he will be the right man once he gets a bit more talent in to fit the way he wants to play but does not seem willing to adjust to the talent he has.   

5. What are your thoughts on Berbatov? Do you enjoy watching him? Is he a luxury or a necessity in what could be a relegation battle for Fulham? 

I enjoy watching Berbatov but he needs to temper his expectations until we get a stronger central midfield. Hopefully we'll see some improvement in that area during the stretch run. 

Thank you. 

You are welcome. 
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

EJL

1. Saturday is a write-off, in my view (can't blame me after Saturday). The team I think Jol will go for:

Schwarzer
Riether - Senderos - Hangeland - Riise
Sidwell - Karagounis
Duff - Berbatov - Urby
Rodallaga

If Berba isn't fit:

Duff - Ruiz - Emanuelson
Petric/Rodallega

Man United are obviously a team with very few weaknesses- that's why they're top of the table. However, the defence isn't invincible. Rafael at the Madejski showed that he's susceptible to the odd ol' fashioned winger. We may have that in Emanuelson (if he starts).

2. This season has been utterly disappointing. We all expected the team to build on our great beginning to 2012 but after a great start, the exits of Dempsey, Dembele, Etuhu and Murphy really showed. I expected us to push for top half, which we could still manage although it's highly unlikely. Concerning the rest of the season, we need to get as far away from trouble as possible, that will be done by getting the best out of two most talented players (Ruiz and Berbatov), and try out a few kids e.g. Minkwitz and Kasami

3. Player of the season so far: Sascha Riether. He's had every single winger in his pocket this campaign. He's nimble, tenacious, a cracking cross on him and the ability to get up and down the right flank effortlessly. Honourable mention to Giorgos Karagounis who hasn't played too many games, but has got us out of some sticky situations and given the whole team a lift.

4. I really like Jol. He's good with the media, brutally honest and he's attracted some fantastic players and will continue to do so. Jol is the man to take the club forward but I think he needs some serious money in the summer to fill the voids left in midfield by the two Dems, Murphy and Etuhu.

5. Berbatov has an entertainment value rivalled only by a few in world football. However, the club bought him to play as a number nine and he doesn't do that. Partly down to not having sufficient service and dropping back, and also down to his overwhelming desire to be the main creative force. Maybe his future lies in a deeper role or maybe he needs better players around him - no one can really tell yet. A player such as Berbatov is never going to be a burden. He might mope around and not look like he wants to do anything but he's got goals in him. That's what we need.

Burt

Thoughts on Saturday's game
ManU are on a roll and we aren't about to stop that... We should hang out the bunting if we get a draw, and declare a national holiday if we win. Berba looks like being out so I would go with the same selection that Mr EJL has made.

Thoughts on our season
Underwhelming... We have been on a poor run of form, the most worrying aspects of which has been the flaky defence (normally a bedrock), our indifferent home form (normally far stronger) and the lack of fight and "fire in the belly". There are signs that we have turned the corner, but that probably won't translate in to a win on Saturday!

Player of the season
Riether. Quality player - skillfull, quick thinker, attack minded but doesnt lose sight of the defending, and above all consistent.

Thoughts on Jol
Very divisive subject... I am in the "pro" camp. He has pedigree, the right footballing philosophy, and an eye for good players. But there are question marks over his management style, relations with key players, and the fact thatbhe has presided over a poor run of form etc. so I get the disquiet. But not to the extent that we should ditch him.

Thoughts on Berbatov
Quality player. A joy to watch. Makes everything look so effortless. Great control, distribution, vision, finishing etc. Almost too good for the side, as he gets frustrated when others show that they are not of the same quality or on the same wavelength. Strengthening the midfield will give him the service he needs.

The Hole

Thank you BarryP, EJL and Burt.

Anyone else interested?

Burt

Roll up, roll up, don't be shy now...  :dft011:

Snibbo

Probably go with same team that beat W.Ham, but Petric in if Berbatov is injured. Could be some new faces on the bench though, and Frimpong and Emmanuelson might feature at some stage. Both could be very interesting.

We had  a great start, and hopes were high. But then injuries to Diarra and Ruiz, and a 3 match suspension for Hangeland knocked us off course, and we're only now recovering.

Everyone seeems to agree its Reither - fast, decisive, skilful. Keep your hands off.  Duff had a great start, and looked good again v W.Ham.

I think he is. He's got a hard task transitioning an ageing team, and with some previously consistent players losing their sparkle.

Who wouldn't enjoy watching him. He's a class act. But I'd like to see him playing in the striking role, instead of the deep role he's been playing lately. Again, depends on us having a creative midfielder in the Murphy mould.

The Rock

We will lose - hoping for a respectable score line. Jol will pick the strongest team he can. I hope to see a few new players that we just signed. I would think that we need to play quicker and faster an know our pitch and where to be to exploit any possible weakness.

I thought we'd be 7th - 9th. Then we lost Dembele and Dempsey so we're 12th. I can't see that changing much for the rest of the season. I'd rather be mid table and debt free ready to go next year vs anywhere near the drop.

Berbatov, because. Reithner has been a nice surprise. Duff is still quite good. Hangeland solid.

I like Jol - he's got experience. I liked Hughes alright until he was too big for us. I loved Hodgson, and he is probably my favourite manager we've had. Still like Jol though.

I don't think we are headed for a relegation battle, we're on 28 points already. Berbatov is the best player we've ever had. If we had a big forward type or a midfield that could get him service he'd score 30 goals a season. Major steal for us getting him from you.

The Hole

mangoputney

Thank you for the welcome, Burt. Some of the questions are from the SEA's community.

As long as they compete I'll be happy, would love a clean sheet / draw / park the bus if necessary

Schwarzer Riether Senderos Hangeland Riise Urby Frimpong Kara Duff Ruiz Rodellega

Maybe your CB's and if De Gea is in goal

Disappointing, but heart was ripped out by Champions and others league candidate, played with makeshift mid all season and its shown... If team retained or like for like replacements would be nailed on top 10... Like to ensure we beat those below us in the games too come... Like too have a bit more fire and put teams away... Age, apparent unwilling from Jol to adjust his philosophy to players at his disposal and inability to keep ball out of our net has been disappointing

Riether Mr Consistent, would love Ruiz to finally click

Good manager, would love the prospect of long term stability, board just need to back him, this TW has been relatively good, hope they are all in harmony for progress in the summer

Not massively keen on the high scoring draws, needing 3 or more to beat those we should be beating etc

Hopefully MID targets are already in place for immediate purchase

Touch is unreal, utter class, covers more ground than you realise, just when its necessary to graft and in light of our form, feels like theres only 10 on the pitch and in comparison to past seasons a fair few of that 10 not at their best anymore, so he can be a bit frustrating

Thank you.
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

The Hole

Thank you very much for your answers.

Here is a link to SEA's preview: http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2013/02/01/match-preview-fulham-vs-manchester-united-2/

Good luck for the rest of the season, after Saturday's game obviously! :)