watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Quiz question and question to the old timers

Started by Scrumpy, February 03, 2013, 01:42:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

What Fulham related stat links Brighton FC and Northampton FC?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

keith

All Three teams went down to Division Three in consecutive seasons?.

Scrumpy

Quote from: keith on February 03, 2013, 02:02:54 AM
All Three teams went down to Division Three in consecutive seasons?.
Nope.

Something happened that has never happened again, when we played each of them.

God The Mechanic

HillingdonFFC

We were the visitors when they recorded their record attendance. I read  somewhere that the FA cup match at Carlisle in 1975 was their second biggest ever as well.

Burt

Scrumpy

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on February 03, 2013, 05:08:26 PM
We were the visitors when they recorded their record attendance. I read  somewhere that the FA cup match at Carlisle in 1975 was their second biggest ever as well.

Correct, my friend.

Brighton and Hove Albion, 36,747, Goldstone Ground, Second Division, 27 December 1958

Northampton Town, 24,523, County Ground, First Division, 23 April 1966

It's difficult to imagine that many people in either of those grounds! Anyone from this board at one or both of these?

TonyGilroy

I was at Northampton.

Played at the three sided cricket/football ground. They had temporary wooden benches on the fourth side to increase capacity.

2-1 down we won 4-2 to stay up and send Northampton down after their only season in the top division. Steve Earle hattrick. Unforgettable - one of the great Fulham occassions.

LBNo11

...along the same lines I believe the lowest attendance for a football league match at Old Trafford was against Fulham back in the 50's, not so many glory hunters in those days, or is that just a pork pie..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Motown

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 03, 2013, 07:13:55 PM

I was at Northampton.

Played at the three sided cricket/football ground. They had temporary wooden benches on the fourth side to increase capacity.

2-1 down we won 4-2 to stay up and send Northampton down after their only season in the top division. Steve Earle hattrick. Unforgettable - one of the great Fulham occassions.

I can remember seeing that on the fledgling MOTD at my grandad's house at the time. At the age of 11, I was already a fervent Lilliewhite and he couldn't understand what the fuss was all about. If memory serves, doesn't that season stand as our first 'great escape' ?
You only get true support from surgical pants

jarv

on a slight tangent to that, when George Best played with us I believe at 7 away games, gate receipts were highest ever for the home teams.  probably more to do with george than Fulham.

TonyGilroy

Not the first - actually the last of the 1960s. We did it most seasons, once winning I think 8 out of 9 to come back from an impossible position. 3 years earlier I think.

grandad

I was at Northampton.

We all got ratted on the local Phipps beer after the game. Steve Earle ran the whole length of the pitch for the last goal. When 1-2 down the locals were jeering us something shocking. We gave them plenty in return at the end.
Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

I was at Northampton.

I was at Northampton.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 03, 2013, 07:03:06 PM
Quote from: HillingdonFFC on February 03, 2013, 05:08:26 PM
We were the visitors when they recorded their record attendance. I read  somewhere that the FA cup match at Carlisle in 1975 was their second biggest ever as well.

Correct, my friend.

Brighton and Hove Albion, 36,747, Goldstone Ground, Second Division, 27 December 1958

Northampton Town, 24,523, County Ground, First Division, 23 April 1966

It's difficult to imagine that many people in either of those grounds! Anyone from this board at one or both of these?

My grandad and dad were at Northampton, apparently we had thousands there that day, I think my grandad may have been at Brighton, im sure I remember him telling me he was there when I was a kid

filham

I too was at the Northhampton game, one of the early matches when we were moving away from "W" formation into 4-3-3.

On the way home stoped at an M1 service station for a pee and had a brief word with Bobby Robson who was using the adjacent urinal, honestly. Oh memories.

TonyGilroy

Coming home from the Aston Villa away game a few weeks earlier I ended up on the same tube platform as Jack MacClelland and Brian Nicholls.

They were ordinary people in those days.