more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (07/02/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 07, 2013, 04:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Sascha Riether: Cologne say future of on-loan Fulham player is not with them

Sascha Riether: The on-loan German has been an ever-present for Martin Jol this season

Sascha Riether's chances of staying at Fulham beyond the end of his current loan deal appear to have strengthened.

The right-back's parent club Cologne, relegated from the Bundesliga last year, say Riether will go elsewhere even if Fulham do not take up an option to sign the 29-year-old permanently.

"Fulham has the chance to buy him at the end of the season," Cologne executive Jorg Jakobs told Express. "Even if they do not pursue their buy-out option, there will definitely be another club signing him then."

However, Riether's agent Volker Struth feels that there is a chance of his client returning Cologne.

"We were caught by surprise by Cologne's statements," said Struth. "As it stands, Sascha would have to return to the club for pre-season."

The twice-capped Germany international has started all 25 of the Cottagers' Premier League games so far this season, with manager Martin Jol recently saying that Riether had done a "great job" so far.

"Sascha Riether has done a great job for us. I only wanted him on loan because you never know how they'll do," Jol declared in January.

"If he carries on like this we will make our mind up and try to extend it or buy him."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11661/8475849?

WhiteJC

New signing eyes Fulham debut

Kei Kamara says he cannot wait to make his Norwich debut and is eager to show what he can do in the Premier League.

The Sierra Leone striker was granted his work permit on Tuesday so he could officially complete his season-long loan move from MLS side Sporting Kansas City.

The 28-year-old has been prolific in North America in the last seven seasons and is now hoping he can prove his worth to the Canaries in order to activate a clause in his contract which could see him stay permanently at Carrow Road.

Kamara's work permit has come through in time for him to be considered for selection for the clash with Fulham on Saturday and the hitman hopes he can get a taste of Premier League action this weekend.

"It is so surreal. I just can't wait to feed off the fans," he said. "There are so many players around the world who would like the chance to compete at the top, and the Premier League is definitely the top.

"It will be an honour to get the chance to play with some of the top players in the world."

http://www.clubcall.com/norwich-city/new-signing-eyes-fulham-debut-1542561.html?

WhiteJC

Reither faces uncertain future
Sascha Riether's chances of staying at Fulham beyond the end of his current loan deal appear to have strengthened.

The right-back's parent club Cologne, relegated from the Bundesliga last year, say Riether will go elsewhere even if Fulham do not take up an option to sign the 29-year-old permanently.

"Fulham has the chance to buy him at the end of the season," Cologne executive Jorg Jakobs told Express. "Even if they do not pursue their buy-out option, there will definitely be another club signing him then."

However Riether's agent Volker Struth feels that there is a chance of his client returning Cologne.

"We were caught by surprise by Cologne's statements. As it stands, Sascha would have to return to the club for pre-season."

The twice-capped German international has started all 25 of the Cottagers' Premier league games so far this season, with manager Martin Jol recently saying that Riether had done a "great job" so far.

"I only wanted him on loan because you never know how they'll do," Jol declared in January.

"If he carries on like this we will make our mind up and try to extend it or buy him."

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/8475868/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham braced for Kacaniklic bid

Ian Walton

Dynamo Kiev are looking to make a second offer for the winger

Dynamo Kiev are preparing a second bid for Fulham's Swedish midfielder, Alex Kacanilkic, according to the Fulham Chronicle.

The Ukrainians made an offer last month but Fulham promptly turned turned it down, insisting Kacaniklic was a first team player whom had no intentions of leaving.

Kiev, though, think both club and player can be persuaded and are lining up an improved bid for the 21 year-old, who signed a new long-term deal in the summer.

It is unlikely that Martin Jol will budge on his original stance, however. Despite brining in Urby Emanuelson, who can play on the left wing, the Dutchman believes Kacaniklic is a vital part of the team and has a particularly bright future ahead of him.

The signs are certainly promising. Having made 19 appearances already this season, the Swede has hardly put a foot wrong and has established himself as one of the best wingers at the club.

With Emanuelson set to feature in the middle, as he did on his debut against Manchester United, Kacaniklic has little to worry about in terms of retaining his first team spot.

Technically gifted and with a stunning turn of pace, the 21 year-old's only wish would be a greater end product. He has chipped in with goals - though not many - but his crossing could well be improved.

It's something that is easily learned over time, however, so we can only hope Fulham stand firm on the second time of asking.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/2/6/3959770/fulham-kacaniklic-bid-dynamo-kiev-liverpool?

WhiteJC

Home Comforts

Mladen Petrić enjoyed a goalscoring return to the Croatia national team on Wednesday afternoon as he helped his side to a comprehensive 4-0 victory over the Korea Republic at Craven Cottage.

Strikes from Mario Mandzukic and Darijo Srna had given the Croats a two-goal lead at half-time, at which point a new-look frontline was introduced in the form of Everton forward Nikica Jelavic and Petrić, with both men finding the back of the net in the second period.

"It was a great result," Mladen told fulhamfc.com after the match. "We played a good game and didn't allow Korea a lot of chances and we created a lot so it was a good game which was played at a high level. And, of course, I'm very happy to score on my comeback.

"I'm very happy to have played as much as I did, it was a fantastic return. I was waiting two years for that so it's always nice when you're able to come back with a goal.

"The manager told me before the game that I would get my chance – at least 45 minutes to play – and I gave everything to show him that I deserve to be in the squad and I hope he's happy with my performance."

It was the fifth time the striker has netted at the Cottage this season, although he had to prepare in unusual circumstances as Croatia were designated the away side and forced to use to visiting changing rooms.

"I spoke to the guys at Fulham because I was hoping we'd be allowed to use the home dressing room," Mladen said.

"But it wasn't possible so it was strange! It actually reminded me a little bit of the Europa League Semi-Final when I came here with Hamburg."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/06/home-comforts?

WhiteJC

Mladen Petric is determined to become a regular starter for Fulham

Fulham striker Mladen Petric is frustrated by a lack of first-team starts this season but is willing to fight for a place in Martin Jol's team.

The 32-year-old joined Fulham on a free transfer in the summer but was soon pushed into the shadows by the signing of Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United.
Petric scored twice in Fulham's Premier League opening day win over Norwich but has hit the target just three times since.

The former Hamburg frontman, though, is determined to work his way back into the Fulham side.

"From the beginning of the season I was hoping to play more but I didn't so we will see," he said.

"I always try to give my best when I come in and in the end the gaffer is the man who decides so we will see what happens.

"I'm very happy to be here and everything is fine, it is just the fact I'm on the bench and I would like to play more."

Jol's preference is to play just one striker with Berbatov often picked ahead of Petric.

The two played together in the 3-0 defeat against Tottenham back in December and Petric believes they could easily fit into the team as a partnership

"Of course I think we can play together," he added. "We played together against Tottenham and for me that was one of the best performances in the first 60 minutes so we showed that we can do that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8476088?

WhiteJC

Riether Up for Sale

Earlier this week, we pointed out that there was every chance that we`d lose Sascha Riether at the end of the season, explaining he was only at Craven Cottage on loan.

Well today the situation might just have changed with the Cologne chief executive, Jorg Jakobs, revealing that the 29 year-old, who has started every Premier League game for Fulham this season, remarking,

'Fulham has the chance to buy him at the end of the season. Even if they do not pursue their buy-out option, there will definitely be another club signing him then.'

Go get him Martin!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=308194#ixzz2KBYdyJM2

WhiteJC

When in Rome.. Louis Saha swaps Sunderland's subs bench for Italians Lazio

Much-travelled striker released by Black Cats because he wanted more regular football joins Serie A side as cover for injured Miroslav Klose

Louis Saha has signed for Lazio after being released by ­Sunderland.

The 34-year-old striker's move was confirmed by the Italian club in Rome and he was unveiled at a Press conference.

Saha had only signed for the Black Cats in August, making 14 appearances, after being let go by Tottenham in the summer.

Martin O'Neill, however, decided he was not needed by Sunderland and ­sanctioned his departure at the end of last month.

Lazio moved for Saha because they see him a short-term replacement for the injured Miroslav Klose.

The Germany forward will be out for the next eight weeks with a knee injury.

Saha's stay on Wearside made it six English clubs that he has played for during his Premier League career – the others being Newcastle, Fulham, Manchester United, Everton and Spurs.

The Frenchman, who began his career in his homeland with Metz, netted 147 goals in 421 outings for his various English employers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-louis-saha-joins-lazio-1590406?

WhiteJC

Urby Emanuelson's Move To Fulham Will Benefit Milan

Much was said of this young talent from Ajax when he first moved to Milan in 2011. However, 69 matches and 5 goals later, he was shipped off to Fulham on loan. How did this happen? For starters, Emanuelson primarily started off as a left-back for Ajax due to his pace. Over the years, he matured into an excellent left-back. So much so, when the Dutch squad won the UEFA U-21 in 2006, he was named in the team of the tournament as a left-back. Slowly over the years, Emanuelson was moved up the field and he found a new position – left midfield so as to utilize his offensive abilities to the maximum. This combination of left-back and left midfield gave an impression that he can play anywhere on the left side of the field.

Milan at that time was plagued with problems at left-back and the whole Taiwo situation was in full swing. Emanuelson's arrival gave Milan hope that they can finally hope to plug the huge gap at left-back which has been vacant since Maldini's departure. Also, given Emanuelson's offensive capabilities, it was expected he will be a threat going forward. However, facts soon came out about his defensive frailties which were the real reason why he was moved to left midfield during his last days at Ajax. Allegri, rightly never featured the youngster at left-back during the entire period.

During his first season, he saw very little action and mostly spent his time on the bench. Emanuelson was involved in 15 matches in his first season of which he started only 2. He was substituted 7 times and stayed on the bench as many as 6 times. He featured a total of 378 minutes on the pitch, mostly featuring at left midfield. He was finally utilized as a proper first team player in his second season where he started 17 times and stayed on bench only thrice. However, out of those 17 times, he was substituted on 13 occasions. Emanuelson was mostly used as an Attacking Midfielder or as a Central or Right Midfielder. Only on a handful of occasions was he used as a Left Midfielder which clearly showed that Milan did not have full faith in his abilities to operate down the left.

Fast forward to the current season and we can clearly see why Allegri overlooked him. He was on the bench as many as 9 times and started only 8 games – mostly on the Right Wing or as an Attacking Midfielder. However, his lack of creative abilities was clearly found out by the opposition teams as Emanuelson preferred to run at the defence or go wide and play long crosses into the box. Playing long crosses into the box can only work for a tall striker or a striker who can effectively jostle and manhandle defenders inside the box like Ibrahimovic. However, Emanuelson continued to play similarly during the current season. Pato, El Shaarawy, Robinho et al all prefer to play with the ball at their feet and on most occasions, Emanuelson found no one inside the box to aim from his crosses.

Emanuelson had to go. Thankfully Allegri realized it sooner rather than later and loaned him for the remainder of the season to Fulham. Emanuelson just did not cut it at the highest level and seriously lacked conviction on the ball. Although he featured mostly as an Attacking Midfielder, his decision-making was suspect all throughout and barring a few performances here and there, Emanuelson just was not Milan material, to put it gently.

He was turning out to be another Taiwo in the making and just like the Nigerian was loaned off to Russia, Emanuelson met the same fate. Maybe next season, Milan can cut their losses and sell these two players for good. This transfer can also help Emanuelson to get more first-team action – something which he craved for at Milan. Also, it was under Martin Jol where Emanuelson flourished in Ajax and a reunion can help him resurrect his flagging career. Emanuelson has a contract till the summer of 2014 with Milan and should he regain his form during his time at Fulham, Milan can recover the €1.7 million euros they spent in signing him.

http://www.thehardtackle.com/2013/urby-emanuelson-move-to-fulham-will-benefit-milan/?

WhiteJC

Petric eyes Norwich scalp and sets Fulham survival target

Mladen Petric is targeting four more wins to guarantee Fulham's Premier League safety after netting in his comeback for Croatia at Craven Cottage in a 4-0 friendly win over South Korea yesterday.

The striker admitted it was a strange feeling to play for his country at his club's home after two years in the international wilderness but now focus returns to the weekend's Premier League fixtures.

Fulham halted a bad run of form with a much-needed victory over West Ham last week and are now seven points clear of the relegation zone with 28 points.

Saturday's opponents Norwich have amassed the same number of points at the Cottagers and Petric believes more wins are needed to secure top-flight safety.

Petric, who is currently battling with Hugo Rodallega to play in place of the injured Dimitar Berbatov at Carrow Road, said: "I think we still need some points.

"The game against West Ham was very important for us and I think we need three or four more wins and then we are clear."

Without a Croation cap since March 2011, the Whites forward came off the bench to add a well-taken fourth goal after Mario Mandzukic, Darijo Srna and Everton's Nikica Jelavic had all scored.

"It was a strange feeling," Petric said.

"I had to change in the guest's dressing room but it was nice to have a game here, it was like a home game.

"It [the goal] was nice, I was very happy to score in my comeback game, I've been waiting almost two years for that and for a striker it is always nice to score."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/petric_eyes_norwich_scalp_and_sets_fulham_survival_target_1_1867224

WhiteJC

Fulham star wants first-team football

Fulham striker Mladen Petric has set his sights on a regular place in manager Martin Jol's starting XI.

The Croatian arrived over the summer on a free transfer from Hamburg, making an instant impact with two goals in the club's season opening win over Norwich.

However, the form of Dimitar Berbatov has limited the 32-year-old's first-team chances, seeing him forced onto the bench.

But, Petric is frustrated at being a bit-part player, and wants to become a regular starter in West London:

"From the beginning of the season I was hoping to play more but I didn't so we will see," he is quoted by Sky Sports.

"I always try to give my best when I come in and in the end the gaffer is the man who decides so we will see what happens.

"I'm very happy to be here and everything is fine, it is just the fact I'm on the bench and I would like to play more."

Jol appears to prefer playing Berbatov as a lone striker freeing up another man to play in midfield, which has contributed to Petric's lack of action.

The pair have lined up together once this term, but were on the wrong end of a 3-0 score line against Tottenham.

Petric believes that both he and Berbatov can form a deadly strike partnership, urging Jol to give them to the opportunity:

"Of course I think we can play together,

"We played together against Tottenham and for me that was one of the best performances in the first 60 minutes so we showed that we can do that."

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/fulham/fulham-star-wants-first-team-football?

WhiteJC

Sky Sports pundit Tony Gale backs pal Chris Hughton to steer Norwich City to Premier League safety

Chris Hughton – and the Carrow Road faithful – has been backed to keep Norwich City in the Premier League this season – by a man who used to room with the City boss during his playing days.

The Canaries head into the weekend clash at home to Fulham desperate for their first Premier League win since mid-December.

That nine-match sequence has seen City drop to 14th, albeit seven points off the drop zone, but Hughton will be anxious to increase that gap come Saturday evening against a side who thrashed his team 5-0 on the opening day of the season.

And Tony Gale, who played alongside Hughton at West Ham and spent seven years with Fulham, believes Hughton will achieve the ultimate aim of top-flight survival.

"I know we had a great victory over them earlier in the season, but they're a tough side at home," said Gale.

"It's a good atmosphere at Norwich and a lot of my friends who are Fulham fans are going up there on the train. It'll be a hard game, but I think it's one we (Fulham) won't lose.

"Chris Hughton was my old room partner at West Ham when he came towards the end of his career so I know him really well.

"I'm so pleased that they are where they are in the league because when he took over from Paul Lambert, everyone was saying that it was Lambert's team and that they'd struggle, but Chris has done all right.

"I think Norwich will be fine this season. I've been around the ground and if you experience the atmosphere of the different grounds around the country, it's one of the better ones.

"They sell out all the time and their home form will keep them up."

Gale believes one of Fulham's unsung heroes this season has been right-back Sascha Riether.

"I would put Sascha Riether in the top four full-backs in the Premier League," he said. "He's got a calculated game about him and, when he's in possession of the ball, he plays the percentage game.

"But what I like about him the best is that he doesn't demand people doubling up with him.

"When he's one-on-one he usually comes out on top. He always had the beating of Matt Jarvis, who's a good winger, against West Ham.

"One-on-one, he always gets a block in on the cross and that's a rarity nowadays. A lot of full-backs stand off and just let people cross the ball but Sascha is a great cross-blocker."

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/sky_sports_pundit_tony_gale_backs_pal_chris_hughton_to_steer_norwich_city_to_premier_league_safety_1_1867728

WhiteJC

Fulham plan to loan midfielder

Pajtim Kasami

FULHAM boss Martin Jol plans to send out Pajtim Kasami when the loan window opens tomorrow.

The 20-year-old saw a move to Italian side Pescara collapse on transfer deadline day after his agent Mino Raiola was unable to process the paperwork in time due to internet problems in his hotel.

Kasami has made just three substitute appearances for Fulham this season and is stuck behind Damien Duff and Ashkan Dejagah in the pecking order.

And Jol hopes to get the former Palermo youngster game time elsewhere when the loan window reopens in the morning.

He said: "Pescara told us he would be a vital part of there squad but in the end it didn't come off.

"Sometimes you hope and pray that it will happen because he wanted to play.

"At 7 o'clock they had to register but the internet wasn't working so it was bad luck.

"I will try to do something because he deserves to play.

"Damien Duff and Dejegah play in his position, so there is not a lot of opportunities here.

"Hopefully we can find something for him because he's a good talent."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/02/07/82029-32764014/?#ixzz2KEA6xv00

WhiteJC

International Round-Up

A multitude of Fulham players were in action on Wednesday as they ran out for their nations in a variety of qualifying and friendly matches.

Bryan Ruiz scored a late equaliser as Costa Rica fought back from two goals down to snatch a draw in Panama in the North, Central America and Caribbean World Cup Qualifiers.

Goals from Luis Henriquez and Roman Torres had put the home side in control of the tie in Panama City, before Alvaro Saborio halved the deficit shortly before half-time. The equaliser came on 84 minutes when the ball was knocked down to Ruiz who, with his back to goal, executed a deft overhead kick that went in via the post. It was a sumptuous strike from the Costa Rica captain.

Iran cruised to victory over Lebanon in the first of their qualifying matches for the 2015 Asian Cup, with Javad Nekounam grabbing a hat-trick and Fulham's Ashkan Dejagah proving to be a creative nuisance throughout the match.

Reza Ghoochannejad gave the hosts the lead in Tehran, before Iran doubled their lead shortly before half-time when Nekounam scored a penalty after Dejagah had been brought down in the area.

A replica incident just after the hour mark made it 3-0, with the Lebanon defender this time sent off for a second yellow card after fouling Dejagah in the box. It was four a minute later with Dejagah again involved – the winger found Ghoochannejad with a fantastic pass – before Nekounam secured his hat-trick to conclude a comprehensive victory.

At Craven Cottage, Croatia cantered to a 4-0 victory over the Korea Republic, with Mladen Petrić netting the final goal of the afternoon on his return to the national side.

Mario Manzukic and Darijo Srna both struck in the first half to set the Croats on their way, with Everton's Nikica Jelavic adding a third on 57 minutes. Five minutes of the match remained when Petrić – who was introduced as a half-time substitute – latched onto a throughball from Jelavic and calmly chipped the Korea keeper from just inside the box in front of the Hammersmith End.

Aaron Hughes played the full 90 minutes of Northern Ireland's goalless draw with Malta. West Bromwich Albion's Gareth McAuley did have the ball in the net in the first half but it was ruled out as Michael O'Neill's side made it four stalemates in a row. Chris Baird didn't travel as he is suspended for the next qualifying match against Russia.

Brede Hangeland and John Arne Riise both started Norway's 2-0 defeat by Ukraine. Hangeland was withdrawn at half-time, while Riise was replaced with five minutes remaining. Mykola Morozyuk and Andriy Yarmolenko scored in the first half to secure the win for Ukraine.

Mark Schwarzer played the first half of Australia's 3-2 defeat by Romania in Malaga. After Cristian Tanase had given the Romanians the lead, the Socceroos responded through a Luke Wilkshire penalty and Robert Cornthwaite's strike, only to see late efforts from Bogdan Stancu and Gabriel Torje secure victory for Romania.

Alexander Kačaniklić tested himself against the likes of Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain and Angel Di Maria as Sweden narrowly lost 3-2 to Argentina in Solna. Jonas Olsson had cancelled out Mickael Lustig's early own goal, only for Sergio Aguero to restore the away side's lead a minute later.

Higuain made it 3-1 on 23 minutes, with Rasmus Elm grabbing a consolation goal deep into stoppage time. Kačaniklić played 77 minutes of the match before being withdrawn.

Giorgos Karagounis played just under an hour of Greece's 0-0 draw with Switzerland, while Neil Etheridge kept a clean sheet as the Philippines narrowly defeated Myanmar 1-0.

Pajtim Kasami was named captain and played the full 90 minutes of Switzerland Under-21s' 1-0 defeat by Slovakia in Villarreal. Omri Altman was also in Under-21 action as he played the last 20 minutes of Israel's 0-0 draw with Serbia.

Meanwhile, Jack Grimmer played the first 45 minutes of Scotland Under-19s' narrow 2-1 defeat by the Netherlands in Amsterdam.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/07/international-round-up?

WhiteJC

Aaron Hughes believes Northern Ireland heading in right direction

Aaron Hughes: Believes Northern Ireland can take plenty of positives from goalless draw in Malta

Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes believes they are moving in the right direction, despite a lacklustre performance against Malta.

Michael O'Neill's winless start to life as national coach continued on Wednesday with a goalless draw during a friendly trip to the Mediterranean island.

Northern Ireland face two crucial home games in March as they look to breathe life into their 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign, with table toppers Russia and Israel set to visit Windsor Park.

Experienced Fulham centre-half Hughes believes there are plenty of positives to take into that double-header, with the chance to hand debuts to Billy McKay and Alex Bruce making the Malta trip a worthwhile exercise.

"We're still building on a lot of things, with Michael coming in and the way he wants us to play," Hughes told Sky Sports.

"I think the lads have actually taken that on pretty quickly because there is a lot of attention to detail and there's not a lot of time to work on it.

"We could go through this campaign, have a good go at it and maybe come up a little short, but I think, for the future, if we can keep this group together as much as we can, I think we could get back up there really pushing for qualification again.

"We are missing Chris Baird and Kyle Lafferty for the next qualifier so changes do need to be made.

"Also, the fact that the qualifiers are only around six weeks away makes this trip a great refresher, plus a way to blend the young lads in."

Fearless

He added: "It's a good thing that we are seeing these young lads come into the squad, especially since they are scoring goals regularly for their clubs because that isn't always the case for Northern Ireland strikers.

"There's probably an element of fearlessness among them, possibly verging on being a bit naive about the whole thing, because it's all new.

"It's just a positive, because they get out and play without thinking about any of the pressure that comes with international football and they don't have the same baggage as the rest of us from previous campaigns."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8477258/?

WhiteJC

Tickets for a tenner

Ticket offer for Fulham visit.
Season card holders can take advantage of a special ticket offer when Fulham visit the Stadium of Light.
The Black Cats host the Cottagers on Saturday 2 March in a traditional 3pm kick-off.

Season card holders can purchase up to two additional tickets for this fixture for only £10 each for friends and family.

Tickets can be bought either in person at the Stadium of Light ticket office, online by clicking here or by calling 0871 911 1973.

http://www.safc.com/news/ticket-news/2013/february/tickets-for-a-tenner?

WhiteJC

Bring on Oman: Schwarzer draws good omens from Romania reversal

VETERAN Mark Schwarzer believes the Socceroos are in a good place heading into the business end of World Cup qualifying despite a disappointing defeat by Romania.

Australia let a second-half lead slip as Romania scored twice inside the last 10 minutes to prevail 3-2 in the friendly match in Malaga, Spain.

Socceroos coach Holger Osieck gave his squad a workout with six changes in the second half and the German coach felt mixing things up so much may have cost his side victory.

But he and Schwarzer felt there were several positives to take from the hit-out into next month's crucial qualifier against Oman in Sydney, where Australia badly need a win to boost their Brazil 2014 qualification hopes.

''It was a disappointing result and the way the game played out, particularly in the second half, was a little bit disappointing,'' goalkeeper Schwarzer said. ''But you've got to take the goods out of it and there were a lot of lessons learned. I think there were some individual performances that were pretty decent and that's going to put us in good stead against Oman.''

Among those to impress was the dangerous Robbie Kruse, who carried his good form over from the Bundesliga with a lively attacking display, while Brett Holman worked hard without reward despite little playing time with Aston Villa recently.

Osieck singled out James Holland for praise after he was handed a starting role in defensive midfield, indicating he was a likely starter against Oman.

And Robert Cornthwaite boosted his hopes of replacing the suspended Lucas Neill next month, as he gave Australia the lead in the 54th minute with his third goal in just six internationals.

K-League defender Cornthwaite started alongside Neill at centre back and continues to make the most of his opportunities after a last-minute call-up against South Korea in November, when he netted the winner. ''He's doing himself a lot of good by coming in and scoring and doing a good job,'' Schwarzer said of Cornthwaite.

Cornthwaite's strike from Matt McKay's corner had Australia on course for a come-from-behind win. But the Socceroos could not convert a handful of chances to go two goals up and Romania made them pay with late goals to Bogdan Stancu and Gabriel Torje. Adam Federici replaced Schwarzer just after half-time, while Ryan McGowan, Rhys Williams, Nikita Rukavytsya, Mathew Leckie and Mark Milligan all saw game time in the second half. ''When there is a couple of changes, there is always a change in the game,'' Osieck said.

''... But we showed great commitment and I think it was a very positive performance from my point of view.''

Romania coach Victor Piturca restored most of his key players after they sat out Saturday's 4-1 friendly loss to Poland and the European side was well on top early.

The Socceroos looked to be getting on level terms before they fell behind in the 36th minute, Schwarzer failing to keep hold of Torje's shot and Christian Tanase firing in from the rebound. Australia pulled level on the stroke of half-time through a Luke Wilkshire penalty, after Alex Brosque had been played into the box by Holland and knocked over.

It was the Socceroos' first defeat in seven matches and Schwarzer considered it a good effort in cold and windy conditions after just two training sessions.

AAP

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/football/bring-on-oman-schwarzer-draws-good-omens-from-romania-reversal-20130207-2e1aj.html#ixzz2KEBW9yZG

WhiteJC

It's Time To Claim Your Pie

Did you pick up your free pie when Manchester United visited the Cottage on Saturday? Don't worry if you didn't, it's not too late!
viagogo gave away more than 100 free pies to Season Ticket Holders last weekend. If you didn't collect yours it's not too late!

All you need to do to claim your pie is register your Season Ticket card with viagogo, the official ticket marketplace of Fulham FC.

If you are a Season Ticket Holder you can sell your seat to another fan when you can't make a game on viagogo.

That means you can recoup some of the cost of your Season Ticket when you can't be there and you give another Fulham fan the chance to see the game live!

Click here to register and claim your pie.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/07/its-time-to-claim-your-pie?

WhiteJC

Argie bargie: Why Becchio will help Norwich shove the Cottagers aside

Back Chris Hughton's new striker to ease the Canaries' relegation fears as Fulham visit Carrow Road.

It would be a bit strong to describe Fulham's visit to Norwich City this weekend as a six-pointer, but with just two Premier League wins between them in the past 16 games, victory for either would definitely help keep them away from the relegation dogfight.

After a slight return to form with back-to-back draws against Tottenham and QPR, the home side are favourites at 5/4, with Martin Jol's side, who are coming off two losses to Manchester United, priced at 21/10 and the draw a little bit further out at 23/10.

What might prove decisive is the business done by both sides in the January transfer window.

While Jol was relatively conservative – his two key signings, Urby Emanuelson and Emmanuel Frimpong, arrived on loan deals from AC Milan and Arsenal respectively – Chris Hughton went all out in his quest to solve Norwich's goalscoring issues.

Having hit the net just twice in their last five games, the 14th-placed Canaries have gambled on Argentine striker Luciano Becchio to get the goals to keep them at arm's length from the bottom three.

Becchio arrives at Carrow Road with some pedigree, with his 86 goals in just under 200 appearances for Leeds United having attracted the attention of many a Premier League suitor.

Hughton won the race by sending Welsh international Steve Morison in the other direction and Becchio will be keen to repay his new manager's faith as soon as possible.

Having only made a brief cameo at Loftus Road last weekend, Becchio will be pushing for a starting place this time out and is 7/1 to get the game's opening goal (he's the same for the final goal) and 9/4 to strike at any time.

Given Norwich's teflon toughness at Carrow Road, where they have conceded just one league goal in 2013, a single strike could be enough against a Fulham side who may again be missing talisman Dimitar Berbatov.

New customers using the free £20 bet they receive when registering with bwin would win an incredible £680 should the Canaries claim a 1-0 win behind a home debut goal from Becchio.

Those who think that Grant Holt may continue to keep Becchio out of the side for now but still expect a low-scoring encounter should also consider a Norwich win and under 2.5 goals at 13/5.

But I'm sticking with Becchio to be the man to break Fulham hearts, regardless of when he makes his impact, and the 9/4 on an anytime goal is good enough for me.

Top bet: Becchio to score at any time @ 9/4

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/bet-becchio-begining-carrow-road-career-bang,36436.html?

WhiteJC

Norwich City vs. Fulham

Brede Hangeland fit, Dimitar Berbatov faces fitness test

Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed that Brede Hangeland is fit to face Norwich City on Saturday but Dimitar Berbatov faces a fitness test later today.

Hangeland was taken off at half time in the 1-0 defeat to Manchester United while Berbatov missed the game entirely after picking up a knock against West Ham United.

"Martin Jol confirms Brede Hangeland is fit for Saturday's trip to Norwich, although Mahamadou Diarra and Kerim Frei are still unavailable," the club said on their official Twitter feed.

"An assessment on the fitness of Dimitar Berbatov will be made later today. Jol is hopeful he'll be in the squad at Carrow Road."

Berbatov is Fulham's top scorer this season with eight goals.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/hangeland-fit-berbatov-faces-fitness-test_68109.html