more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (10/02/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 10, 2013, 08:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Hangeland Contract Solution Top of Fulham Agenda

Brede Hangeland returns from suspension next week, and while we anticipated a leaky defence with Phillpe Senderos stepping in, he shouldn't be such an easy scapegoat, as the Swiss centre-back was thrown in at the deep end against Stoke, was excellent at Chelsea and had two different halves at home to Spurs.

That's not suggesting the absence of Hangeland was no selection headache because Martin Jol was forced to select a Fulham team without the big Norwegian for the first time since his managerial arrival in 2011. That, of course, demonstrates his importance to the team, and while Senderos and Hangeland are currently serving their final year in their contracts, Jol must make a vital decision in the next few weeks.

January is quickly approaching and there's no secret that funds are available, however the areas that Jol will strengthen can be highly unpredictable when players such as Darren Bent could be available. We are the sixth highest goalscoring team, while at the opposite end, only Southampton, Wigan, QPR and Reading have conceded more goals than us. Statistically, Jol should pay heavy attention defensively and strengthen the midfield.

Despite reports of on-going discussions to extend Hangeland's contract, you simply can't write off a January move, and Jol could take advantage of the speculation. Our current defensive problems says more about the lack of midfield protection rather than the back four, however Jol is also restricted play a high defensive line which leaves huge gaps between the defence and midfield.

As it pains me to say, Hangeland could possibly be a hindrance for Jol transforming Fulham into a team that dominates matches rather than relying on counter-attacks. Fulham have conceded a high percentage of set-piece goals, but during many occasions we have seen the back four exposed when there's so much space for the opposition.

Hangeland's lack of pace has never been a problem and his positioning has never been questioned, while his partnership with Aaron Hughes has been hugely underrated for years. They're both in their early 30's and remain top of their game, but Hangeland in particular, could be a victim of Jol's transformation if he wants permanent attacking football.

We can stand rock solid and proved difficult to defeat when the emphasis is based on the defence but with the young players coming through, the future is attack, and the team is already built around Dimitar Berbatov with Bryan Ruiz gradually stepping up into the pivotal role.

Hangeland has been a brilliant servant, and while his name has previously been mentioned with bigger clubs, he has remained professional and deserves praise for remaining dependable. He rightly should be offered a new contract, but Jol should have a back-up plan if negotiations break down, and look towards a fairly younger but more importantly quicker centre-back such as Douglas of FC Twente.

I'm sure Jol can balance out this situation. Gradually he will build his squad and therefore we should stay patient. Hangeland's contract matters will hopefully be resolved this month, so that leaves Senderos, who I've been critical of in the past, as a good back-up but we should wait after January to make the decision. Anything is possible at this current period: expect heavy action on and off the pitch.

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/04-12-2012/hangeland-contract-solution-top-of-fulham-agenda/672073?#ixzz2KU0Rek8z

WhiteJC

Gameiro joins Wellington Phoenix on loan
by DAN on FEBRUARY 9, 2013

Young Fulham striker Corey Gameiro has joined Wellington Phoenix on loan until the end of the season.

The Australian youth international is highly rated at Motspur Park and impressed during a loan spell with Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, making eight appearances. Fulham have agreed to loan Gameiro, who starred at the recent AFC Under-19 championship, to the Phoenix to aid his development with a healthy dose of first-team football and the 20 year-old could be available to make his debut for the Wellington side against the Brisbane Roar next week.

Gameiro scored all six of Australia's goals during last summer's AFC championship and is expected to be part of the Australian side that has qualified for this year's Under 20 World Cup. Phoenix coach Ricki Herbert, a former New Zealand national team boss, was delighted to conclude the deal:

It is important to establish relationships with clubs around the world and it is exciting that we are now forming one with an English Premier League side. Having players coming this way is good for the future of the club.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/gameiro-joins-wellington-phoenix-on-loan/?

WhiteJC

Kacaniklic is going nowhere, says Jol

Martin Jol has insisted that Fulham winger Alex Kacaniklic will not be leaving the club – despite reports linking him with a move to Dynamo Kiev.

The Ukrainian giants were reported to have made an enquiry for the Swedish international during January, which Fulham were quick to dismiss, and media reports this week suggested that Dynamo might be ready to revive their interest. Kacaniklic has seen his first team opportunities limited in the second half of the season, with Jol adding additional midfield options during the January window. The 21 year-old earned his seventh cap for Sweden during the midweek friendly against Argentina and Jol dismissed any reports of him leaving Craven Cottage:

I haven't heard of that rumour, and we won't let him go anyway.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/kacaniklic-is-going-nowhere-says-jol/?

WhiteJC

Manolev wins work permit

Stanislav Manolev has been granted a work permit and has an outside chance of making his Fulham debut at Norwich City this afternoon.

The Bulgarian right back missed last week's 1-0 defeat by Manchester United as he awaited approval from the Home Office to finalise his loan move from PSV Eindhoven and finally received the green light on Thursday. Manolev, who has won 29 caps for his country, arrived on deadline day to bolster Martin Jol's defensive options after Stephen Kelly opted to sign for Reading – although the new arrival faces a tough task to displace fellow loanee Sascha Riether from the Fulham first team.

Manager Martin Jol, who is still waiting on a work permit for midfielder Eyong Enoh, feels this afternoon's Carrow Road clash might come too soon for Manolev:

There's a 90 per cent chance that he he will be available. He hasn't trained with us so I don't think he will be fit. It will be too soon for him to be in the squad.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/manolev-wins-work-permit/?

WhiteJC

Emmanuelson eyeing Milan return

Urby Emmanuelson has told a Dutch football magazine that he wants to use his loan spell at Fulham to remind AC Milan of what they are missing.

Emmanuelson joined Fulham from the Italian giants on transfer deadline and impressed during his debut as a second half substitute against Manchester United last weekend. The Dutch international has already been clear in confirming that he sees his long term future at the San Siro and he hopes to impress his parent club during his time in the Premier League.

It is an excellent choice for now and after this season, I still have one year left on my contract at Milan. Now I need to show Milan and other clubs what I can do, so it is an important period.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/emmanuelson-eyeing-milan-return/?

WhiteJC

Riether keen to stay at Fulham

Sascha Riether says he would be delighted to turn his loan spell at Fulham into a permanent move at the end of the season.

The German full-back has been hugely impressive since joining from FC Köln in the summer and has played in all 29 of Fulham's fixtures during the campaign. Reports from Germany this week have claimed that his parent club would like to cash in on Riether come the close season to fund some summer acquisitions of their own and the 29 year-old has admitted he would be keen to stay in London.

I can't say where I will play next season. But I like to play in the Premier League, and here it's a great club and we have great fans. I'm proud to be here. It will be the decision of the club and Cologne. They will speak together and in the end they will speak to me.

FC Köln confirmed that last week that Fulham have an option to sign Riether for  €1.5m written into the loan deal that took the former Wolfsburg full-back to Craven Cottage.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/riether-keen-to-stay-at-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Horsfield recovering from blood clot on his lungs

The Birmingham Mail carries a moving interview with former Fulham striker Geoff Horsfield, who is recovering after blood clots on his lungs left him close to death for a second time.

Horsfield, who has already fought a successful battle against cancer, was rushed for emergency hospital treatment last month after experiencing excruciating pain. Doctors discovered potentially life-threatening blood clots on both of his lungs – which they believe could have been caused by Horsfield's habit of exercising on a treadmill. Horsfield, a father of four, admitted he had never felt any like the terrible pain that woke him up early in the morning last month:

I am very, very lucky. This came from nowhere. I've never known pain like it, and after what happened with the cancer I know I've had an escape again.

It was about 4am and I was crying my eyes out, I couldn't breathe.  From my shoulder blades down to my backside, it was if there was someone stabbing me in the back. I told my missus, Tina, that I'd just take a couple of tablets and hopefully it would go away. But she could see I was in a state.

She called an ambulance and I was taken to Burton Hospital. They injected my leg with morphine on the way there and it was thought I may have cracked a rib and punctured my lung. I said "but how have I done that?", though, and had a scan. When the results came back they told me they had good news and bad news: the good news was that I hadn't broken any ribs, the bad news was that I had blood clots on my lungs.

I had several on my left hand side, several on the right, including a very big clot. I couldn't believe it. And I wasn't aware of how serious it might have been until the nurses told me that had circumstances been different, had the clots not gone to my lungs but straight to my heart, it would have been game over.

In the last two weeks I've had morphine, tramadol, codeine and paracetamol. I've lost one-and-a-half stone in weight and can't do anything. I'm out of breath even if I go upstairs. The tablets have turned me into a zombie and I've not been able to sleep. But I am just so thankful that I was rushed in to hospital when I was and the treatment I received was first class, I can't thank the consultants and nurses enough.

I know my own body, I know when I've had a pull when I've played football. I felt something but it didn't hurt and I carried on. That's when it started. Five to seven days later, I was taken to hospital. I've been told something like this is hereditary. When Tina [his wife] rang my mum to tell her what had happened she collapsed on the kitchen floor as my nan died 12 months to the day from a blood clot to the lung. So, so scary – I am just thankful I'm still here.

Horsfield, a firm crowd favourite at every club he played for due to his energy and work rate, signed for Fulham after then manager Kevin Keegan was impressed the former brick-layer's start to professional football, scoring seven goals in his first ten Third Division appearances for Halifax, whom he had helped fire to the Football League. Horsfield, who joined Fulham for £300,000 in October 1998, had an immediate impact at Craven Cottage. He scored fifteen goals in 28 games as the Whites romped to the Second Divison title – and when Keegan took on the national team job, chants of 'Horsfield for England' could be heard from the terraces.

Having made the PFA's Second Division Team of the Year, Horsfield's physicality aided Fulham's start to the First Division season under new manager Paul Bracewell. He scored twice at St. Andrew's on the opening day of the season and was sent off for violent conduct and, although he was less prolific in front of goal at a higher level, Horsfield still finished the 1999-2000 season as Fulham's top scorer with fourteen goals. Seven of those goals came in the League Cup – including a sublime strike in the third round win over Tottenham – as Fulham reached the quarter finals before losing on penalties at Leicester City.

Bracewell's replacement Jean Tigana felt Horsfield was too one-dimensional to fit his more continental style and replaced the burly forward with Louis Saha. Horsfield joined Birmingham for a club record £2.25m, becoming the Blues' top scorer in his first season at the club and he scored twice in the League Cup semi-final to fire Birmingham to a showpiece final against his boyhood club, Liverpool, which they lost after a penalty shoot-out. The following year, Horsfield was voted Birmingham's player of the year after helping the club return to the top flight via the play-offs, scoring the equaliser against Norwich in the final.

Horsfield scored his first league goal in a famous derby win against local rivals Aston Villa and, in the return fixture, he ended up replacing the injured Nico Vaesen in goal after Blues' had used all of their substitutes. Despite being used largely as a substitute by Steve Bruce, Horsfield's partnership with French World Cup winner Christophe Dugary helped keep Birmingham up as the club managed four wins and a draw in the final five games.

After a brief spell at Wigan, Horsfield joined West Brom for £1m in December 2003. He enjoyed an excellent January, winning the First Division's player of the month award, and his seven league goals were crucial in propelling Albion back to the top flight. Horsfield struggled to make much of an impact on his return to the Premier League, but he played a starring role in West Brom's great escape on the final day of the season. He scored with his first touch as a substitute against Portsmouth and then made the winner for Kieran Richardson and described the day 'as the best achievement of my career'. Horsfield also featured for Sheffield United, Leeds and Lincoln before becoming player-coach at Port Vale.
We wish Geoff all the very best in recovering from his illness.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/horsfield-recovering-from-blood-clot-on-his-lungs/?

WhiteJC

Norwich 0 Fulham 0: It wasn't pretty, but at least Berbatov is still handsome

It was so ugly that even Dimitar Berbatov had to ask if he was still handsome. A point apiece more or less suited two teams currently doing just enough to stay out of trouble.

And it might have been more merciful had they agreed at lunchtime to share the spoils and then stayed in their dressing rooms.

No penetration: Fulham's Dimitar Berbatov (left) and Norwich City's Javier Garrido (right) failed to spark

An afternoon's entertainment should not really have been obliterated by a back spasm and a kick in the face - but that is effectively what happened.

Without Grant Holt, victim of the grisly spasm, Norwich had no one who could finish. 'I had a sore back,' said Holt, bluntly.
So when had he realised he could not play? 'At some point,' he replied helpfully.

Jokingly, he had tweeted the previous night that he was looking after his children - and therefore risked injury.

'His kids are young and he's a big fellow, so I hope it wasn't that,' said his manager Chris Hughton.

'The physios worked on him but it wasn't to be.'

We might have expected Berbatov to light up a dull afternoon instead. But he was quickly bloodied and stunned by a wayward boot to the face from the careless Bradley Johnson.

On the run: Norwich's Wes Hoolahan holds off Dimitar Berbatov

'He came over to the touchline and asked me if he was still handsome,' said Fulham manager Martin Jol. 'I said "yes". It's important for him, but not for me.'

And Jol had every right to look glum after a bug had already left some of his squad feeling out of sorts in the run-up to the match.

Arms race: Fulham's Bryan Ruiz fends off Elliott Bennett

Not this time: Hoolahan shields the ball from Emmanuel Frimpong (left)and  Berbatov thwarts Elliott Bennett

Norwich almost scored early when Elliott Bennett and Javier Garrido combined to set up Luciano Becchio.
Considering the promising quality of the build-up, the former Leeds striker produced a tame effort on goal.
And Norwich captain Russell Martin then steered a free header wide. Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell livened up proceedings temporarily after the break with a drive which at least tested Mark Bunn.

Take a breather: Berbatov (second left) is treated on the pitch

Stalemate: Fulham's Bryan Ruiz is tackled by Bradley Johnson (left) but Norwich also failed to create many chances and Luciano Becchio (right) did not receive much service

And Bryan Ruiz saw his shot blocked by Sebastien Bassong. But as the game drifted below mediocrity, even the scoreboard gave up and conked out, as if realising there was no point in it being there.

Johnson stabbed his half-volley wide and substitute Kei Kamara looped a hopeful header over the bar, the final chances that went begging.

Point made: Fulham's Martin Jol was perhaps the happier of the two managers

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2276041/Norwich-0-Fulham-0-match-report.html#ixzz2KU617MR1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Norwich City 0 Fulham 0: match report
Read a full match report of the Premier League game between Norwich City and Fulham at Carrow Road on Saturday Feb 9 2013.

Mind your step: Norwich City's Eliott Bennett (left) appeared concerned by the threat of Fulham forward Dimitar Berbatov
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

There were two new attacking signings on show for Norwich City, but the same worrying outcome; yet another failure to score. Luciano Becchio was making his first home appearance, then debutant Kei Kamara emerged late on, but neither could break Norwich's habit of drawing blanks, which has dragged them down into a position where they cannot be entirely confident of safety.

Chris Hughton's team have scored just one in six games and would have been frustrated by this latest failure as it came against a Fulham side whose ambition was limited. Grant Holt, who has been suffering from back spasms, was a conspicuous absentee. Becchio did not inspire much confidence that he could be the man to lift the burden Holt has been carrying.

"Fulham have a lot of quality," Hughton said. "But our aim was to get the three points and we didn't have enough in the final third."

Fulham looked a different side to the one that was scoring so freely earlier in the season though. Dimitar Berbatov was struck in the face by Bradley Johnson after 68 seconds, leading to a nose bleed that forced him off temporarily, needing a stitch.

Becchio had a shot that was pushed away by Mark Schwarzer. He had two further headed chances before half-time, but headed over on both occasions. It was the first time Emmanuel Frimpong and Steve Sidwell had played together for Fulham, but they never looked like being over-run in midfield. "We lacked a bit of momentum and tempo so we couldn't hurt them," Jol said.

Match details
Norwich City (4-2-3-1): Bunn; R Martin, Turner, Bassong, Garrido; Johnson, Tettey; Snodgrass, Hoolahan, E Bennett (Jackson 75); Becchio (Kamara 87).
Subs: Camp (gk), Whittaker, Howson, Surman, Tierney.
Booked: E Bennett, Snodgrass.

Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Manolev, Hangeland, Senderos, Riise; Ruiz (Dejagah 90), Frimpong (Emanuelson 64), Sidwell, Duff; Berbatov; Rodallega (Petric 75).
Subs: Etheridge (gk), Karagounis, Hughes, Kacaniklic.
Booked: Frimpong, Manolev.

Referee: Howard Webb (Yorkshire).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9852551/Norwich-City-0-Fulham-0-match-report.html

WhiteJC

Premier League: Norwich hold Fulham to a goalless draw at Carrow Road

Two sides low on confidence played out a goalless draw at Carrow Road on Saturday, with Norwich and Fulham cancelling each other out.

Neither team was able to carve open a clear-cut opportunity, with defences very much on top in a game which leaves Chris Hughton and Martin Jol looking anxiously over their shoulders at the basement battle unfolding beneath them.

Even the return of Dimitar Berbatov from a hamstring injury could not inspire Fulham.

Berbatov missed last weekend's defeat at Manchester United, and soon needed more treatment after he was caught in the face by a high boot from Norwich midfielder Bradley Johnson and had to go off to the changing room to have stitches in a bloodied nose.

Norwich almost made their man advantage count as Elliott Bennett's run down the left found defender Javier Garrido on the left side of the penalty area. The on-loan Lazio man pulled the ball back to Luciano Becchio, but his first-time shot lacked pace and was straight at Fulham keeper Mark Schwarzer.

Canaries defender Russell Martin, captain in place of the injured Grant Holt, planted a free header wide from Johnson's deep ball into the Fulham penalty area.

Emmanuel Frimpong, on loan at Fulham from Arsenal, was booked for tugging back Robert Snodgrass and referee Howard Webb had the yellow card out again when Bennett chopped down Hugo Rodallega as Fulham looked to break after they had cleared the free-kick.

Fulham started the second half brightly, with midfielder Steve Sidwell testing Norwich keeper Mark Bunn with a 20-yard effort.

Norwich defender Sebastien Bassong then took the full force of Bryan Ruiz's strike in his face as the visitors stepped up a gear.

The hosts finally produced some pressure of their own as the hour mark passed, with Snodgrass again the creator down the right before Bennett crashed in a goalbound effort which was blocked by Cottagers captain Brede Hangeland.

Johnson then stabbed wide from the edge of the box before Kei Kamara, on-loan from MLS side Sporting Kansas City, came on to replace Becchio for the closing stages of a match which desperately needed a spark.

However, the Sierra Leone international's main contribution was to clatter into Schwarzer at a corner, as the game fizzled out.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/261815/report?

WhiteJC

Match Report: Bore draw brings little joy for Martin Jol and Chris Hughton
Norwich City 0 Fulham 0

When Fulham thumped Norwich 5-0 on the opening day of the season it might have seemed that they were at the start of something good. Clearly, they were fooling. Six months later they and Norwich each have 29 points, and it is difficult on this evidence to declare one to be less mediocre than the other.

But these things happen when two sides short on confidence find themselves reluctant to commit to attacking the other for fear of making mistakes. Midfielders looking for a passing option tended to go sideways or backwards; forwards with the chance to shoot were inclined to take a touch too many. There were moments at which the deadlock might have been broken, but not many.

For Fulham, winning a point away from home, there was probably greater satisfaction. It was true that they managed just one shot on target, but Martin Jol had prepared for the trip with 10 players away on international duty and was forced into changes when Sascha Riether and Chris Baird cried off sick, which meant debuts for Stanislav Manolev and Emmanuel Frimpong. Manolev, just signed on loan from PSV Eindhoven, was not even in the original squad.

"He wasn't even here," Jol said. "He had to come up in a taxi from London." In the event he slotted in seamlessly, which was asking a lot of him given that Riether has been one of Fulham's outstanding performers this season.

Another is Dimitar Berbatov, who at least carries the threat of a goal even if his tally of eight is respectable rather than eyecatching. There were good touches, good uses of space by the Bulgarian but he did not muster a shot of note, although his performance was not helped by having Bradley Johnson's boot connect with the bridge of his nose in the opening minutes, requiring him to leave the field to have a stitch inserted.

The incident narked Jol, who came up with the unusual suggestion that Johnson should have been required to leave the field as well.

"It is a ridiculous rule," Jol said. "We were 10 against 11 while Dimitar was off the field. Their player should have to go off as well."

At least Fulham kept a clean sheet, their first in 12 matches, although three wins from 18 is the more telling statistic. Norwich, on the other hand, have no wins in nine in the Premier League. Just as well they went unbeaten in 10 earlier in the campaign.

"It is disappointing because we were looking to get three points as the home team," the Norwich manager, Chris Hughton, said. "We have been on a bad run but that's three draws in a row so we have stopped the run in terms of defeats."

One goal in six matches in all competitions is clearly a concern, although there was encouragement from Luciano Becchio (left) and Kei Kamara, two January acquisitions.

Becchio's best chance, on the  end of a Javier Garrido pass after five minutes, possibly came too early in the former Leeds player's first start. But he kept Brede Hangeland and Philippe Senderos busy. Kamara, not ready to start after arriving midweek from Kansas, looked sharp and lively when he did appear in the closing minutes and it was significant that Norwich's best chance, volleyed wide by Johnson, followed his introduction.

Norwich (4-4-2): Bunn; R Martin, Bassong, Turner, Garrido; Snodgrass, Tettey, Johnson, E Bennett (Jackson, 75); Becchio (Kamara, 85), Hoolahan.

Fulham (4-4-1-1): Schwarzer; Manolev, Senderos, Hangeland, Riise; Ruiz (Dejagah, 90), Frimpong (Urby, 63), Sidwell, Duff; Berbatov; Rodallega (Petric, 75).

Referee: Howard Webb.

Man of the match: R Martin (Norwich)

Match rating: 5/10

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/match-report-bore-draw-brings-little-joy-for-martin-jol-and-chris-hughton-8488273.html

WhiteJC

Nothing to see here: Creativity at a premium as Norwich and Fulham labour to a goalless draw

Norwich and Fulham laboured to a goalless draw in this afternoon's Barclays Premier League clash at Carrow Road

Firing blanks: Dimitar Berbatov was unable to spark Fulham into life at Carrow Road
Getty

Luciano Becchio failed to impress on his home debut for Norwich – but Kei Kamara gave Norwich fans some hope.

This was a must-win
match for City who, after such a great start to the ­campaign, look like they might get sucked into the relegation battle.

Yesterday was their ninth game without a win.

True their defence has been stiffened by the pairing of Michael Turner and ­Sebastien Bassong – with two clean sheets on the spin.

But putting the ball in the net remains a huge problem for the Canaries.

They have scored only one goal in their last six league and cup games.

And, on this evidence, ­Becchio is not the answer.

Chris Hughton insists the former Leeds striker, who has already scored 19 goals for the Yorkshire side in the Championship, can succeed in the top flight. "He works hard and thrives on good ­delivery," said the Norwich boss. "But he didn't get that and we lacked quality in the final third."

Becchio huffed and puffed but didn't come anywhere near to ­blowing the ­Fulham house down. His best ­opportunity came early in the first half when ­Javier Garrido teed him up for a volley – but the Argentinian scuffed
his shot.

Then he headed the ball over the bar whilst under pressure from Brede Hangeland.

Apart from a half-chance for Russell Martin – who nodded an Alex Tettey cross over the bar – and a Bradley Johnson drilled drive, the home side failed to penetrate the ­Londoners' rearguard.

Fulham almost opened the scoring when Steve Sidwell's 25-yard shot was palmed away by Mark Bunn. But the Canaries, looking to avenge a 5-0 hammering they suffered at Craven Cottage on the opening day of the season, failed to test goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

The only potential ray of sunshine up front was the ­introduction of Kamara, who came on for Becchio with four minutes left of normal time.

Stalemate: Norwich and Fulham battled to a goalless draw at Carrow Road
Getty

The 28-year-old, who is on loan from Major League ­Soccer side Kansas City, ­injected much-needed ­urgency into Norwich's play when he came on – and twice came close to breaking the deadlock.

The Sierra Leone forward's last appearance for Kansas came in an MLS play-off match three months ago and he had only recently returned to ­pre-season training for the American club. Hughton said: "I liked what I saw. But we have to make sure what we do with him is right."

The Norwich boss spent three years as Martin Jol's ­assistant at Tottenham and admits learning from the ­current Fulham boss was a vital part of his managerial education.

Perhaps this education ­included seeing out drab ­goalless draws.

Fulham's Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov returned to the side after missing the Manchester United game with a hamstring problem – but Jol was fuming that he had to go off for five minutes after an accidental kick in the face from Johnson.

"It's ridiculous," said Jol. "It meant that they had eleven to our ten men.

"They should change the rule so that both players should go off.

"We were hit by a sickness bug and one of our ­debutants, Stanislav Manolev, had to come over from London in a cab because of this.

"I though Manolev did well for us in the circumstances.

"As for Berbatov, he got a bad kick in his face but, as he told me on the touchline, he is still a handsome man!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/norwich-city-0-0-fulham-creativity-1300636?

WhiteJC

Fulham fight their way to dull draw

If the marketing men at the Premier League want to showcase their greatest league in the world, they'd do well to lose the footage from this forgettable encounter at Carrow Road. There was so little spark between two sides determined not to be beaten that the scoreboard gave up the ghost well before the final whistle. Not that Martin Jol will be complaining; points on the road are precious for Fulham and, when he reflects on the fact that their first clean sheet in fourteen games lifted the visitors to twelfth in the table, the Dutch coach could find a few reasons to be content with his afternoon's work.

Alarming lapses in what used to be a reliable rearguard have threatened to drag Fulham fully into the relegation dogfight this season but they rarely looked troubled against a Norwich side who badly missed their captain. Grant Holt had only a watching brief today after injuring his back this morning – the tall and powerful pairing of Brede Hangeland and Philippe Senderos coped easily enough with Luciano Becchio, who battled manfully to little avail on his first start since signing from Leeds United. The visitors' defence diligence was all the more impressive given the absence of an ill Sascha Riether – the previously ever-present right back was replaced by Bulgarian Stanislav Manolev, who hardly put a foot wrong on his Fulham debut.

Jol made other changes as well, with on-loan Arsenal midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong adding some bite into the midfield on his first appearance for Fulham and Steve Sidwell returning after a knee injury. Dimitar Berbatov replaced Ashkan Dejagah to partner Hugo Rodallega up front, but the Bulgarian had barely shaken off his hamstring strain before being bloodied by a high boot from Bradley Johnson that left a damaged nose requiring stitches. Fulham were intrepid, eager and disciplined – but they barely mustered an opening in the first half despite dominating possession. Damien Duff had the briefest of glimpses of goal before Michael Turner blocked his cross-cum-shot.

Norwich came closest to breaking the deadlock whilst Berbatov's nose was being tended to. Clever interplay between Elliott Bennett and Javier Garrido fashioned the space for the Spanish full-back to cross but Becchio's blunt shot dribbled straight into Schwarzer's arms from nine yards. The home side's most promising moments came through Wes Hoolahan, who went on a couple of mazy dribbles deep into Fulham territory, but first Alex Tettey and then the lively Robert Snodgrass failed to attach an end product to the Republic of Ireland midfielder's enterprise. City's only other openings came from more direct means with both Russell Martin and Becchio missing the target with headers.

Fulham started the second period brighter with a fierce drive from Steve Sidwell stinging the palms of Mark Bunn from twenty yards before a venomous strike from Bryan Ruiz was bravely blocked by Sebastien Bassong's throat. There was plenty of endeavour and application, but little in the way of quality as misplaced passes and mistimed tackles were far more common than clear cut chances. A spell of home pressure culminated with a speculative shot from Bennett blocked by Sidwell and, whilst Urby Emmanuelson's introduction perked up Fulham, it was the home side who had the better chances to break the deadlock as time ticked by.

Hoolahan's prompting produced another chance, although Johnson rather snatched at a left-footed effort from the edge of the box that flew well wide before Norwich's newest arrival, Sierra Leone striker Kei Kamara – signed on loan from MLS franchise Sporting Kansas City – joined fellow substitute Simeon Jackson, who scored a late equaliser here last season to deny Fulham a rare away win, up front as Chris Hughton gambled in search of a winner. You couldn't fault Kamara's willingness as he sent a header off the crossbar and then jumped into Schwarzer at successive set-pieces, but his cameo lacked the spark necessary to provide a winner.

NORWICH CITY (4-4-1-1): Bunn; R. Martin, Garrido, Bassong, Turner; Tettey, Johnson, Snodgrass, E. Bennett (Jackson 76); Hoolahan; Becchio (Kamara 76). Subs (not used): Camp, Whittaker, Tierney, Howson, Surman.

BOOKED: E. Bennett, Snodgrass.

FULHAM (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Manolev, J.A. Riise, Hangeland, Senderos; Frimpong (Emmanuelson 64), Sidwell, Duff, Ruiz (Dejagah 90); Berbatov, Rodallega (Petric 76). Subs (not used): Etheridge, Hughes, Karagounis, Kacaniklic.

BOOKED: Frimpong, Manolev.

REFEREE: Howard Webb (Rotherham).

ATTENDANCE: 26,816

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/fulham-fight-their-way-to-dull-draw/?

WhiteJC

Everton U18s 1 - 2 Fulham U18s

Everton U18s were narrowly beaten 2-1 by Fulham in the Academy Elite Group earlier today. More details to follow... 

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/12-13/news/23727.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol settles for a point in Fulham's stalemate at Norwich

Martin Jol felt Fulham were the better side in their 0-0 draw at Norwich, but was happy to have picked up another point.

A forgettable encounter at Carrow Road saw both sides struggle in the final third, with defences very much on top.

Jol conceded that his side did not create enough, but feels there are positives to be taken from a potentially tricky trip out on the road.

"If you can't win, it's always good to get a clean sheet and a point," he told Sky Sports.

"Last year we were 1-0 up and then in the third minute of stoppage time they scored, so that was a draw as well.

"In the first half I thought we were the better team, controlled the game. Then you should score one or two goals, but we didn't.

"The point is okay, but I thought we should have had three points. I felt we were the better team but lacked a bit of momentum up front. If you are the better team you should exploit that and create more chances."

Satisfied

Jol saw his pre-match preparations hampered by illnesses to Sascha Riether and Chris Baird, but was pleased with how Emmanuel Frimpong and Stanislav Manolev fared on their Fulham debuts.

He added: "That is why we can be pretty satisfied. We had to play a different side.

"Sascha Riether was ill yesterday, Chris Baird this morning. I wanted to play Urby Emanuelson, but that would have meant that we had three players playing for the first time. At this stage of the season, that is not what you want."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8487514/?

WhiteJC

Taxi for Fulham! Virus forces Manolev to take cab all the way from London to Norwich

Fulham boss Martin Jol had to make some last minute adjustments for Saturday's game against Norwich after deadline day signing Stanislav Manolev needed to quickly travel up from London.

His squad's preparations were hampered by players coming back late from international duty and also a virus.

'Bryan Ruiz only came to us yesterday at the hotel, Stanislav Manolev was not even here, he was in London and had to come up in a cab this morning,' Jol said.

Virus: Fulham's Stanislav Manolev arrived somewhat late for their match against Norwich

'Sascha Riether had to leave [with illness], Chris Baird also had the same problem with a bug, and so we had two players making their debuts.'

Fulham and Norwich failed to muster a goal between them at Carrow Road, and Jol knew his team could play an awful lot better.

'We lacked a bit of momentum and tempo, so we could not hurt them, especially in the first half.'

As for Norwich manager Chris Hughton, he admitted his side lacked a cutting edge in attack as their barren run continued.

While a point will edge both sides closer towards safety, with results below them maintaining a healthy gap over the relegation places, there was little creative spark.

New Norwich signing Luciano Becchio, in for injured captain Grant Holt who suffered a back spasm this morning, saw an early effort saved and then headed a couple of half-chances wide.

Debut: Norwich's Luciano Becchio made his first start since arriving from Leeds

Even the return for Dimitar Berbatov from a hamstring injury could not inspire Fulham, with a 25-yard effort from midfielder Steve Sidwell at the start of the second half about the best of the visitors' few chances.

Norwich have now found the net just once in the past six league and FA Cup games, having been beaten 1-0 at home by Luton in round four.

However, after only conceding two in that run after shipping five at Liverpool on January 19, Hughton will try to remain upbeat about his team's chances of staying clear of being dragged into the battle for survival.

'Fulham have a lot of quality in their side, but we are disappointed because we are at home and the emphasis was to look to get three points,' said the Norwich manager, who is set to take his squad off for some warm weather training in Abu Dhabi next week.

'We did not have enough in the final third and lacked that bit of quality, but it is a point and if you cannot win these games, you certainly have to make sure you do not lose them.'

Class: Dimitar Berbatov came back from injury but h was unable to spark much life into Fulham

Hughton added: 'It [lack of goals] is a concern, and it has to be, but we also have to look at the positives.

'We have managed to stop a poor run, albeit not with wins.'

Hughton revealed Norwich had tried to get Holt fit for action after the striker reported a freak injury earlier in the day.

'Grant's back went into spasm when he got up this morning, which was a fare blow for us, but these things happen and you have to be able to adapt,' he said.

'There have been circumstances where the physio can release it, but in the end it was quite obvious he was not going to be any good for us.'

Latecomer: Bryan Ruiz only arrived at the hotel Fulham were staying in late Friday night

Hughton felt Becchio, a deadline day signing from Leeds, had worked hard for the team.

'I cannot fault his endeavour, but he is player who thrives on quality into the box and we lacked that today,' Hughton said.

Norwich sent on Sierra Leone forward Kei Kamara in the closing stages after international clearance on a loan move from the Major Soccer League had arrived earlier in the week.

Hughton said: 'The worst thing for us would have been if we played him earlier and he had picked up an injury and we are kicking ourselves because he is out for the next three or four weeks, but I liked what I saw.'

New boy: Kei Kamara made his first appearance for Norwich after the Sierra Leone striker joined on loan

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2276175/Fulhams-Stanislav-Manolev-taxi-London-Norwich.html#ixzz2KUCBhnQa
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

The View from South Texas — Norwich City v. Fulham FC

by HatterDon

[sorry for the LONG delay in getting this written. The match was tape delayed and my band had an early evening gig. I hope the wait is worth it]

Torture: Excruciating and Slow

In Roy Hodgson's day, Fulham would approach a league match at an inferior opponent's ground with the idea of stationing 10 players in their own half and going for the 0-0. This was usually a successful tactic  and only resulted in a few suicides by bored home supporters. Things are different now that Fulham are playing Martin Jol Sexy Football. Now we do our sideways and backwards passing further up the field. Instead of overtly playing negatively as under Hodgson, Fulham now appear to want to make attacking forays, but find it incapable of stringing more that three passes together. Under Hodgson, we had a well-drilled unit where everyone on the pitch knew his role and those of his teammates – all the better to execute the away boredom efficiently. Martin Jol Sexy Football differs as his Fulham have as little interaction among defense, midfield, and attack as possible. Furthermore, it is necessary for the team to appear to be composed of eleven highly skilled players who first met earlier that day.

And so Fulham traveled to Carrow Road to play a dispirited and ragged Norwich City. If there is a team more ripe for the taking on the road, I have no idea who it might be. Lacking two legitimate goal scoring threats, and fielding a defense that is easier to rip apart than a lovesick teenager's heart, Norwich were almost begging to be trampled underfoot. Fulham, not satisfied with disappointing its own fans, also ruined Norwich's date with destiny. Instead, Fulham dropped two points and handed Norwich one they never came close to deserving.

Fulham's lineup featured three changes from their spirited and ill-deserved loss to Manchester United the previous weekend. Coming back from injury was the enigmatic Dimitar Berbatov, and with him two of our January loanees – Stanislav Manolev and Emmanuel Frimpong. The latter was rushed into action just hours after receiving his work permit due to the illness of our ever-present season-long loanee Sascha Riether. Frimpong replaced The Ancient Greek and looked to create a strong midfield partnership with Steve Sidwell.

The match started interestingly. Berbatov was kicked in the face after only 70 seconds. There was no yellow card, naturally, since the game was less than 15 minutes old. It took a few minutes to stanch the bleeding and give the Bulgarian striker a few stitches. It was only 3 minutes later when Mark Schwarzer was called into action FOR HIS ONLY SAVE OF THE MATCH. The strike was from Norwich's January transfer Luciano Becchio. The Argentine striker obviously had been taking extension courses in platform diving at Leeds University, and could not wait to demonstrate how well he learned this craft to his new teammates and supporters. How he escaped a yellow for "simulation" is a mystery. He dived more often than a panicky U-boat skipper.

Fulham began the sideways and backwards passing drills they've perfected almost immediately. So successful were they in showing no aggression towards the Canaries' shell-shocked defense, that it wasn't until the 19th minute that Damian Duff took Fulham's first shot.

Other highlights of the first half was a weak yellow for Frimpong and, in the 42nd minute, the sight of Berbatov actually chasing after one of his errant passes. I can't remember seeing him do this since Christmas.

Steve Sidwell was enjoying having a strong center mid partner and "put himself about" all over the park. He looked every inch the box-to-box midfielder he can at times be. In the 48th minute it was Fulham's only English player who took the first shot on goal. It was an easy save for Mark Bunn, but still it was on target, and there was still 42 more minutes left for Fulham to have a second SOG. Two minutes later, Bryan Ruiz let loose a pile driver of a shot that completely clocked Sebastian Bassong. The Norwich defender is a tough geezer, but he was seriously shaken by the event. The first really attractive multi-pass move from Fulham occurred in the 67th minute. Of course, it came to naught, but it was nice to see guys – you know – passing the ball upfield to teammates.

Norwich, getting into the spirit of MJSF, managed their second shot on goal in the 70th minute. There was some activity in both penalty areas as the minutes dwindled down to a tiresome few, but it was obvious that if there was any justice in the world, this match would end 0-0. Neither side was able to come up with the coherent play required to make a serious attack on goal.

And, so, I was left with looking for oddities:
1.   The television announcer saying of Hangeland, "His long legs were tangled in the heels of Snodgrass," which left me wondering if this was the original first line to "The Sound Of Music."
2.   A classy turn by substitute Urby Emanuelson. I believe it was the singular highlight of the second half.
3.   Simeon Jackson raising himself on his tiptoes to grab on to Hangeland's shoulders.

So, yeah, it was a dire display by both teams, but we gained a point when pretty much all the strugglers lost – except for Southampton and Norwich of course. We moved up a position in the standings, and we're a game closer to the end of the season. We also now have logged a grand total of THREE wins in our last eighteen league matches. We're still not giving a team display anywhere near as good as the quality of the individual players. We're still refusing to take hold of our own destiny, never mind 90 minutes on a Saturday – except on very rare occasions.

Who looked good? Sidwell excelled, Frimpong looked strong and – with his partner – faced up to Norwich's attack and stifled it. Nobody Norwich sent to challenge our back four got any change out of Riise and Manolev. Senderos' 100th league match was very strong, and Hangeland looked as dominating as we've seen him for a long while. The thing is, as easily as Fulham contained Norwich threat after Norwich threat, as dispirited as The Canaries and their fans were, it is almost inexcusable that Fulham didn't come away with a win, and that's the rub. That's the reason for the negative review of a point gained on the road.

HatterDon's Man of the Match award goes to Stanislav Manolev. Yes, Sidwell and Hangeland had better individual matches, but this guy has played a total of ONE league match for PSV Eindhoven this season and, still gutted out 90+ minutes with a bunch of guys he barely knows. It was a hell of a Premier League debut, regardless of the result.

Next Up? A weekend off to watch Luton Town play Millwall in the FA Cup. We play our next league match against Stoke City Wrestling Club on February 23rd at the Cottage. COYW

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/wordpress/?p=253

WhiteJC

Taxi for Manolev: How a cab ride led to defender's Fulham debut

Stanislav Manolev wasn't expecting to make his Fulham debut this afternoon. While his team-mates were preparing for a tough test at Norwich, the Bulgarian defender was back in London readying himself for his first full week of training at Motspur Park after finally being granted a week permit to complete his loan move from PSV Eindhoven.

But any thoughts of a quiet Saturday were quickly banished after a virus struck down the two men ahead of him in Martin Jol's pecking order at right back. Ever-present Sascha Riether withdrew from the starting line-up injured and utility man Chris Baird was also unable to play, leaving Fulham frantically summoning Manolev away from London. It took a mid-morning taxi ride to even give the reserve right back a chance of playing his first Premier League game. It is a testament to Manolev's professionalism that you would never have figured his first Fulham appearance was such a last-minute affair from the composed way in which he slotted serenely into the back four.

Riether, who had prior today been an ever-present in his brief Fulham career, has arguably been the club's player of the season, combining some fine defensive decision making with a few bursts down the right flank to provide an overlap in attack. Whilst Manolev did look a little rusty in the final third – twice crossing out of play from good positions – he struck up a good understanding with Byran Ruiz, who started on the right of a four man midfield, and barely put a foot wrong defensively. Like so many modern full-backs, Manolev looked comfortable and composed in possession and kept Elliott Bennett's breaks beyond him to a minimum. Indeed, the only time Norwich profited from any space behind the 27 year-old was in the first five minutes when Luciano Becchio stabbed a shot straight at Mark Schwarzer.

For someone who was probably looking forward to a quiet weekend before a swift morning jaunt up the motorway, this was an impressive introduction to the Premier League for Manolev, who displayed the  kind of aptitude that suggests it will be an interesting tussle between him and Riether for the right back berth over the course of the season. For someone who stepped out of a taxi and into the starting line-up with new team-mates with whom he's barely trained, this was a very encouraging start to the Bulgarian international's Fulham career. Just as it importantly, Manolev's magnificent effort helped the Whites record their first clean sheet since the goalless draw at Chelsea in mid-November.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/taxi-for-manolev-how-a-cab-ride-led-to-defenders-fulham-debut/?

WhiteJC

Hangeland hails defensive display

Brede Hangeland chose to take the positives from Fulham's draw at Norwich this afternoon – highlighting an improved defensive display as a reason to be cheerful.

The Fulham captain braved an Achilles injury to line up at the heart of the Fulham defence despite being substituted at half time during the defeat by Manchester United last weekend and was delighted that Martin Jol's side managed to withstand a late onslaught from the Canaries to record their first clean sheet since November.

I'm very pleased we didn't concede a goal – it's been too long since we kept a clean sheet so that's good. We obviously would've liked to win this game and I thought, looking back on it, we should have done a little bit better with all our possession and created some more pieces, but I suppose we're quite happy to take a point home.

Like his manager, Hangeland was disappointed that Fulham weren't able to convert their dominance of possession into a few more clear cut chances.

I thought we played well up to a certain point. We didn't really ask too many questions of their goalkeeper so that's something to work on. We looked solid as a team and we didn't concede any goals so that's a positive.

We'll take any points we can get. A lot of teams around us lost today so we've gone one more point ahead of a few of the teams towards the bottom of the table.

The Norwegian international is now looking forward to recuperating over the course of a two-week break before Fulham return to action with a tough test against Stoke City at Craven Cottage on February 23. Hangeland hopes to have fully recovered from the Achilles injury that put his participation at Carrow Road in doubt.

I'll take a break as I've been struggling with an injury for the past few days so I'll need a few days to recover probably, so hopefully these two weeks now will do us a lot of good and we'll be firing on all cylinders in two weeks time. There's some injuries you can play with if you are willing to take a little bit of pain and that was the case today.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/hangeland-hails-defensive-display/?

WhiteJC

U21's Host Everton

Fulham's Under-21s return to Barclays Premier Under-21 League action on Monday night, when they take on Everton at Motspur Park (7pm).

The Toffees' Under-21s finished fourth behind West Ham United, Arsenal and West Bromwich Albion in National Group One of the first phase of qualification matches.

Now lining up alongside Fulham in Group One of the second phase, Everton have a 100 per cent winning record so far, albeit from one game – a 3-0 defeat of Blackburn Rovers on 14th January.

Having seen fixtures postponed of late, Alan Stubbs' side will be looking to make up for lost time, with England youth international John Lundstram central to those thoughts.

Fulham were last in action nine days ago, when Ryan Williams' late strike rescued a point for Kit Symons' charges.

Cauley Woodrow (pictured right) had put the Whites in front against Middlesbrough, but goals from Curtis Main and Luke Williams had initially handed the home side the impetus.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/10/u21-preview?