News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We now lack width. New selection headache.

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, February 10, 2013, 12:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Throughout the season, one of our major positives is the way we could get the ball wide and stretch teams, but we were doing it with no one in the box because of Ruiz and Berbatov's playing style, i.e. dropping deep. Now, to accomodate both Berbatov and Ruiz (with also having a striker) is to play Rodallega up front with Berbatov in Ruiz's role and Ruiz pushed to the right and subsquently Duff to the left.

Now, Duff and Ruiz give us little width, as Duff can't beat his man like Kacaniklic because of the pace issue and Ruiz consistently floats inwards, which isn't a problem when you have an attacking full back but Manolev didn't seem to want to go up the pitch yesterday, debut nerves perhaps?

To play away from home with no width is suicide, as with Ruiz out wide, we have no creativity through the middle that isn't helped when you have warriors in Frimpong and Sidwell 'pulling the strings.'

Schwarzer
Riether Senderos Hangeland Richardson
Dejagah Sidwell Emanuelson Kacaniklic
Ruiz/Berbatov
Rodallega

I strike through Ruiz because let's be honest, is Martin Jol going to drop Berbatov?

With this team, we make up for missing Ruiz through the deeper attacking influence of Urby Emanuelson and we have Kacaniklic and Dejagah to provide the width and help us move past the pitch and to get crosses into Rodallega and Berbatov.

Who knew fitting Berbatov in would be so difficult?

*Don't confuse this with me hating on Bryan Ruiz*

Senior Supporter

This is very much along the lines I have been thinking since yesterday. It seems to be so difficult to successfully accommodate both Berba and Ruiz into the starting line up. I think Kaca has disappointed recently, so might prefer to start with Emanuelson wide and Kara central, bringing on Kaca with fresh legs when the Greek tires with Emanuelson moving inside. 

ffc73

This is only a selection headache if you are not prepared to drop one of Ruiz and/or Berbatov

I am not anti-Berba &/or anti-Ruiz, I just have an opinion that the team is unbalanced and does not play to it's potential when both start.  Jol picks the team and he disagrees with my view and persists with them both.  I also cannot see Jol changing his selection policy as he has too much of his own credibility invested in these two marquee signings.

As I have made similar comments on several threads over the past weeks I will now endeavour to bite my tongue on this issue for my own sanity and others boredom

JackyFulham90

Just like I said in an earlier post we certainly lack width & pace with Duff & Ruiz for Stoke I would like to see Jol be positive

Schwarzer

Riether Senderos Hangeland Riise

Dejagah Enoh Sidwell Emanuelson

Berbatov

Rodallega

Subs - Etheridge , Hughes , Sidwell , Karagounis , Duff , Ruiz , Petric

Meaning Baird , Manolev , Frimpong , Davies , Kacaniklic , Frei , Diarra don't even make the bench we certainly have a good squad but we need to find the right balance

Humbled

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 10, 2013, 02:03:34 PM
Just like I said in an earlier post we certainly lack width & pace with Duff & Ruiz for Stoke I would like to see Jol be positive

Schwarzer

Riether Senderos Hangeland Riise

Dejagah Enoh Sidwell Emanuelson

Berbatov

Rodallega

Subs - Etheridge , Hughes , Sidwell , Karagounis , Duff , Ruiz , Petric

Meaning Baird , Manolev , Frimpong , Davies , Kacaniklic , Frei , Diarra don't even make the bench we certainly have a good squad but we need to find the right balance

i like this, although would be more than happy (maybe even prefer) Duff to start on the right...
also i was happy with Frimpong so between him and Enoh (who i am looking forward to seeing)

just to point out, u have Sidwell starting and on the bench lol so replace the bench one with frimpong