https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (11/02/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, February 11, 2013, 04:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Point but no plaudits as Fulham lock Norwich City in stalemate

Norwich City 0-0 Fulham

FULHAM and Norwich served up forgettable fare at Carrow Road - with the sides sharing the spoils.

For the Whites, it was a rare clean sheet and welcome draw after the recent fruitless away trips to Manchester, while the Canaries badly wanted to end a run of eight games without a win.

Neither side created many cleacut chances, but Norwich's new signing, Luciano Becchio, might have done better than drive straight at Mark Schwarzer after five minutes and Steve Sidwell went close with a 20-yard drive.

Dimitar Berbatov's return following a hamstring injury turned out to be a painful one, as he needed stitches in the forehead after being caught by Bradley Johnson. The Bulgarian (pictured) was off the field for five minutes getting attention, which did not help Fulham's cause.

The Whites, who thrashed Norwich 5-0 at Craven Cottage on the opening day of the season, began the second half with a little more purpose - Sidwell again featuring in the most dangerous attacks.

But Norwich finished the stronger in a game neither side really deserved to win.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/02/09/82029-32780236/?#ixzz2KYqPS8CH

WhiteJC

Fulham boss calls for law change to end injury injustices

MARTIN Jol believes Fulham were unfairly penalised by an injury to Dimitar Berbatov caused by a Norwich City player.

Bradley Johnson's high boot caught Berbatov on the forehead and the Bulgarian had to go off for stitches - leaving the Whites a man down for five minutes.

It made no difference to the outcome as the sides ground out a 0-0 draw at Carrow Road, but the Fulham boss was unhappy that his team should be disadvantaged for no fault of their own.

"I get very irritated by that, when someone kicks you and you have to go off for five minutes," the Dutchman said.

"Later, Hugo Rodallega was also kicked and he had to go off, and they played again 11 against 10.

"We have got to change that because it is an awful rule. You should send their player away as well for five minutes and play 10 against 10."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/02/09/82029-32780238/?#ixzz2KYqg3CSp

WhiteJC

Fulham defender needs to prove his worth

With parent club Cologne stating that he won't be playing for them next season, will Sascha Riether remain at Craven Cottage?

Currently enjoying a season-long loan with Fulham, the right-back has until May to impress Martin Jol enough to make his move permanent.  Riether has featured regularly for the side since arriving in west London, having appeared in every Premier League game prior to missing this weekend's draw at Norwich.  He has played 29 times for the club in all competitions and would surely be in favour of staying if they wanted him.

According to Sky Sports, Cologne executive Jorg Jakobs recently explained that Fulham have a buy-out option on the player but that he would still not be returning to the German club if that was not taken up.  The 29-year-old's agent had a different understanding of the situation, whilst Cottagers manager Martin Jol expressed his desire to keep hold of Riether should his impressive performances continue.

Having been a prominent figure in Germany's under-21 side between 2004 and 2006, Riether has twice represented his country at senior level.  A part of the Wolfsburg team that incredibly won the club's first ever Bundesliga title in 2009, his latest experience in the German top flight was being relegated with Cologne.

Riether should have no problem finding a new team in the summer, but will Fulham decide to pay a transfer fee and sign him permanently?

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/gossip/2013/2/9/fulham-defender-needs-to-prove-his-worth.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham star: Rest after Norwich will mean we'll be ready for Stoke

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland believes that the Whites will be fit and firing when they face Stoke on February 23.

The 31-year-old sustained an Achilles injury against Manchester United but was able to take his place in the side for the 0-0 draw against Norwich.

With Fulham out of the FA Cup, it gives the west Londoners a chance to recover ahead of the final 12 games of the season.

"I'll take a break," he told the club's official website.

"I'm struggling with an injury for the last week. Two weeks off will do us a lot of good.

"We'll be firing on all cylinders next Saturday in two weeks.

"There are some injuries you can play with if you're willing to take a bit of pain and that was the case today."

Hangeland was delighted that his side kept a clean sheet against the Canaries but will be hoping for more cutting edge in future games.

"I'm very pleased we didn't concede a goal," he said.

"It's been too long since we've kept a clean sheet. We'd have liked to have win this game.

"We should have done a bit better with the possession and created some more chances but we're happy to take a point home.

"I thought we played well. We didn't ask too many questions of their goalkeeper. We didn't concede any goals and that's a positive.

"We'll take any points we can get. The teams around us lost today so if we can go one more point ahead that's good."

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/fulham_star_rest_after_norwich_will_mean_we_ll_be_ready_for_stoke_1_1926812

WhiteJC

Taxi For Manolev!

The enforced absence of Sascha Riether, due to a bug, gave one of our transfer deadline day signings, Stanislav Manolev, the opportunity to make his Fulham debut.

However, that wasn`t as straight forward as it seems on paper.

You see, although Manolev had been given a work permit, he wasn`t in the original squad that travelled up to Norfolk.

Aware that Riether wouldn`t be fit to play, Jol gave the instruction to bring Manolev to Norwich, in a taxi, from London.

The unusual manner in which his debut was achieved didn`t faze the Bulgarian international who gave a more than proficient display, prompting Jol to comment,

"He is a quality international."

"A few months ago, he was man of the match against Italy."

He, indeed, does look a class act.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=308743#ixzz2KYrdJhDS

WhiteJC

Frimpong Full Debut

On loan from Arsenal, Emmanuel Frimpong saw his Fulham debut cut short.

The enthusiastic youngster was substituted, in the second half, after having already been cautioned for a foul.

Martin Jol was quick to save the youngster from a possible red card, as the fouls mounted, and withdrew him.

We`ll put it down to youthful exuberance shall we?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=308742#ixzz2KYrmPCzp

WhiteJC

A Kick in the Face!

After you`ve been side-lined with a hamstring injury, the last thing you want is to be returning to the dressing room after a mere four minutes of action, but that`s what happened to Dimitar Berbatov yesterday.

The Bulgarian, trying to get his head to a ball was unfortunate enough to get a kick in the face from Bradley Johnson.

Discussing the incident and being forced to carry on a man short whilst Dimitar was being treated in the sanctuary of the dressing room, Martin Jol had this to say,

"Dimitar got kicked and he asked me whether he was still handsome."

"It was important for him but not for me."

"But we had to play with 10 men for five minutes while our player received treatment. Then our player had to wait two minutes to get on again."

"It is an awful rule. We should send their player away for five minutes as well, so it is 10 v 10."

Here at Vital Fulham we`re not sure that rule will catch on martin, but it`s a nice thought!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=308745#ixzz2KYruHDl1

WhiteJC

My Apologies to Sascha

It`s probably nothing I instigated but having nominated Sascha Riether as our 'Player to Watch` up at Carrow Road, I was mortified to find him not in the starting line-up.

It turns out that our Mr Consistent had picked up a bug overnight and had to be sent home.

I can only offer my apologies Sascha and won`t do it again.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=308746#ixzz2KYs4kX9O

WhiteJC

Diarra poised to return to training
by DAN on FEBRUARY 10, 2013

Fulham midfielder Mahamadou Diarra will take part in his first training session for two and a half months at Motspur Park as he steps up his recovery from a knee injury.

The Mali midfielder had been nursing an injury ever since returning to international football with his country in September and last featured for Fulham during their 3-0 home defeat to Tottenham on December. Diarra missed Mali's participation in the African Cup of Nations even though his national side insisted on including him in their preliminary squad for the tournament before accepting medical reports from Fulham that showed the 31 year-old would be unable to take part.

Injuries have restricted Diarra, who isn't expected to return to match sharpness for around another month, to just eight appearances for Martin Jol's side this season as he has struggled to build on his promising start to his Fulham career having signed on a short-term deal last February after being released by Monaco. Fulham have had to rely on former free agent Giorgos Karagounis to fill the void left by Diarra's absence and Jol has added to his midfield options by bringing in Emmanuel Frimpong and Urby Emmanuelson on loan during the January transfer window.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/diarra-poised-to-return-to-training/?

WhiteJC

Do We Lack Flair?

One of our new loan signings seems to think so.

In one of those helpful little pull-outs you get in the Sunday papers, Urby Emanuelson is quoted as having remarked,

"I`ve noticed that Fulham lack a bit of creativity."

"That is why I am here. I`m going to drag the team upwards, and hope to play an important role for them."

"Against Manchester United I was playing on the left side of midfield, but the defenders kept shouting at me to keep things tight."

"That was something new for me. In the past I have always played for clubs that were better than their opponents."

"Now that is not so much the case, at least on paper. It is good for my development to learn about going into battle."

Welcome to the real world mate!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=308782#ixzz2KYtQJrh4

WhiteJC

Schwarzer set to extend his contract

Mark Schwarzer has revealed that he has held initial talks with Fulham over extending his contract at Craven Cottage.

The Australian international has his sights set on representing his country at next year's World Cup in Brazil but appreciates that his international ambitions – and the longevity of his playing career – are dependent on him remaining number one at club level.

I feel really good and don't think the age thing is hindering my performances in any way. I've had some initial discussions and the intentions are there at the club to keep me. But in what capacity we'll have to wait and see. I want to be playing each week – that's the key for me. I love playing and don't want to be No.2 anywhere.

The World Cup is also a huge priority and the reality is if I am not playing I don't think it would be possible to be a part of the national team. I just want to be out there enjoying every minute – especially at this stage of my career. If that means I have to move on at the end of the season, then that's fine also. Let's just see how we go.

Schwarzer, who turned 40 last October, is now the second-oldest man in the Premier League, with only Tottenham's second choice goalkeeper Brad Friedel behind him. The Fulham goalkeeper, who kept a clean sheet as Martin Jol's side held Norwich at Carrow Road yesterday, is adamant that he hasn't remotely considered hanging up his boots yet.

No, not yet. I will just keep my head down and keep training hard – the last few weeks have been particularly good on a personal level.

I am enjoying my football again and I'll keep doing my job and see what happens at the end of the season. As long I'm fit and performing, then there's every chance I can play on for at least another season after this one.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/schwarzer-set-to-extend-his-contract/?

WhiteJC

The genius of Johnny Haynes

If you're a Fulham fan, you'll never tire of reading about the Maestro. Dominic Bliss has penned some terrific reflections on Johnny Haynes over at The Inside Left, which features some lovely recollections from his good friend and team-mate Tosh Chamberlain as well as the thoughts of a man who had the difficult job of marking Haynes, Tommy Docherty. It's well worth a look.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/the-genius-of-johnny-haynes/?

WhiteJC

Frimpong aiming to make an impression

Tomorrow's Telegraph carries some quotes from our new midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong after the on-loan Arsenal midfielder made his Fulham debut in Saturday's draw at Norwich.

Arindam Rej points out that Frimpong's career has stalled at the same time as his old school mate Jack Wilshere looks set to anchor the midfield for club and country for many years to come. Frimpong's lack of progress has plenty to do with injuries and a knee operation, from which he's only just recovered, but the Ghanaian midfielder says Arsene Wenger was keen for him to sample some more first-team football at Fulham:

The boss at Arsenal, Mr Wenger, told me to come here and get some games because there is no point sitting on the bench. I was told to show what I can do, come back next season and see what happens. I've had injuries, just like Jack. I'm not going to get his head even bigger than it already is and say he is an inspiration! But he is a great footballer.

Frimpong's new manager, Martin Jol, seemed happy enough with his performance, only withdrawing him when he looked in danger of transgressing for a second time:

It was the first time he had to play with Sidwell so that was not ideal, but we still looked OK. Hopefully in the next two weeks we can do a lot on the training pitch with our new players.

There were two sides to Frimpong's Fulham bow. The first impressions were overwhelmingly positive: he was eager in the tackle, sharp and purposeful and looked comfortable in possession. A bit of doubt and anxiety seemed to creep in once he picked up a booking for felling Robert Snodgrass, however, and it's clear he still needs to get used to playing in Jol's system. Frimpong certainly gave Fulham a bit more of the bite they've been missing during Mahamadou Diarra's prolonged absence and they might need more of his physicality against Stoke City in a fortnight.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/02/frimpong-aiming-to-make-an-impression/?

WhiteJC

Emmanuel Frimpong keen to follow Jack Wilshere example

On-loan Fulham midfielder Emmanuel Frimpong hopes to use Jack Wilshere as an inspiration to force himself back into contention for Arsenal and on the road towards the 2014 World Cup with Ghana.

Frimpong, 21, made his debut for Fulham (above) in Saturday's goalless draw at Norwich, having moved across London for the second time this season after a short spell at Charlton.

The tough-tackling Ghana-born midfielder, who came to London aged eight, has battled back from two serious knee injuries which have hampered his progress.

Wilshere has been through his own fitness battles, recovering from more than a year out to return in great form for the Gunners and produced a man-of-the-match display against Brazil at Wembley last week.

Frimpong came through the Arsenal youth system alongside Wilshere, and has his sights set on a similarly bright future.

"That is football, sometimes you are going to get good luck, sometimes you are going to get bad luck, and I have had loads of injuries, but I mean to get over it just like Jack has," Frimpong said.

"He has got over his injury and now he is playing for England. That is what I am trying and do - to get over my injuries and start playing football on a regular basis."

Frimpong added: "Jack is a great footballer. For his age and for what he is doing, he is an inspiration obviously because every young player in the Premier League wants to achieve what he is doing.

"Since I have been here, I haven't really spoken to him, but when I am at Arsenal, we do speak on a regular basis. I am happy for him and what he is achieving in football."

Frimpong hopes he can gain a regular run in the Fulham side to return to Arsenal ready to impress next season.

"The boss at Arsenal, Mr Wenger, told me to come here and get some games because there is no point sitting on the bench at Arsenal," the midfielder said.

"He said to come here and show what you can do, get some games under your belt, then come back next season and see what happens."

Frimpong represented England at youth level, but in November 2012 was cleared by FIFA to play for Ghana.

Although he missed out on the African Nations Cup squad, Frimpong hopes it will not be long before he lines up for the Black Stars.

He added: "The [Ghana] manager said to me 'make sure you do well for your club side and after the African Nations Cup, I am going to call you up."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/emmanuel-frimpong-keen-to-follow-jack-wilshere-example-8489347.html

WhiteJC

Schwarzer issues deal warning

Mark Schwarzer has confirmed that he has held talks about extending his stay with Fulham but warned he wants to play every week.

The 40-year-old veteran Australian international goalkeeper will be out of contract at Craven Cottage in the summer, but he has stressed that retirement is not on his agenda because he wants to feature for his country at next year's World Cup finals in Brazil.

Therefore, Schwarzer realises that he needs to be playing regular first-team football at club level which is why he would like to pen a new deal with the Cottagers.

But the former Middlesbrough star insists that he must be the number one wherever he plays next season because he is not ready to take a back seat and become an understudy to another player.

Speaking after helping Fulham pick up a clean sheet in Saturday's 0-0 draw at Norwich, Schwarzer said: "I feel really good and don't think the age thing is hindering my performances in any way. I've had some initial discussions and the intentions are there at the club to keep me.

"But in what capacity we'll have to wait and see. I want to be playing each week - that's the key for me. I love playing and don't want to be No.2 anywhere.

"The World Cup is also a huge priority and the reality is if I am not playing I don't think it would be possible to be a part of the national team. I just want to be out there enjoying every minute - especially at this stage of my career.

"If that means I have to move on at the end of the season, then that's fine also. Let's just see how we go."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/schwarzer-issues-deal-warning-1545311.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham Focus - Turgid draw gives Fulham first clean sheet in 11 games

It certainly was not one for the neutral but in a season where Fulham have often been involved in goal-laden games, either through their own prowess in front of goal early in the season or more latterly, due to meek defending of their own that has resulted in a number of heavy defeats, the Cottagers will be more than pleased with their goalless draw at Norwich.

Certainly, it was a very different Fulham performance to the one that dismantled the Canaries 5-0 on the opening day of the 2012/13 campaign at Craven Cottage, but it may be one that pleases Martin Jol in a nearly equal manner.

Admittedly, going forward it was far from free-flowing from the Dutchman's side. Fulham struggled to create any real chances of note despite an adventurous looking front four of Damien Duff, Bryan Ruiz, Dimitar Berbatov and Hugo Rodallega. Indeed, a Steve Sidwell shot from distance was the closest the away side ever really came to grabbing a goal.

Berbatov's brilliance when on the ball still remains but on Saturday, his frustration at his own teammates was palpable as some sloppy passing from the defence and particularly the midfield duo of Sidwell and the otherwise impressively industrious Emmanuel Frimpong failed to reach the Bulgarian's majestic touch.

However, Jol will surely not be concerned too much with their attacking ineffectiveness. Yes, the Cottagers were undoubtedly poor but he will know that with Berbatov, Ruiz and Rodallega backed up by the likes of Mladen Petric, Duff and Alex Kacaniklic, not to mention Ashkan Dejagah and Milan's on-loan midfielder-cum-wide man Urby Emanuelson, Fulham have more than enough attacking ammunition to score goals in future matches.

Instead, Jol and indeed Fulham supporters will doubt be more pleased at the solidity shown by the defence, which has leaked far too many goals both at home and particularly away from home this season. Captain Brede Hangeland has been criticised at times this season for his lethargy both on and off the ball but he looked back to his domineering best at Carrow Road, continuing his rapidly improving partnership with Philippe Senderos at the back, which also of course helped contain Manchester United last week until a piece of Wayne Rooney magic settled the tie.

Elsewhere, there was also a quietly decent debut for Stanislav Manolev at right-back in place of Sascha Riether, as Norwich were restricted to only a couple of long-range efforts, despite the hulking presence of Luchiano Becchio making his full debut for the club. Jol will be aware that Becchio is exactly the sort of striker that has caused Fulham several problems before and so to restrict his involvement to the extent that his side did will surely have pleased him.

The point sees Fulham rise to 12th in the table, still six points and more importantly, five places above Reading in 18th and with a home game to come against Stoke next in the league, Jol will surely be targeting a win that might secure his side's Premier League status for another year.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_18791_-.html#.URkJrKUcIds

WhiteJC

U18s Everton Result

Goals from Liam Donnelly and Moussa Dembele earned Fulham's Under-18s a 2-1 win over Everton at Finch Farm on Saturday morning.

Donnelly put the Whites ahead shortly after half-time in the clash on Merseyside with a free-kick, before Dembele doubled Fulham's lead from the spot after Patrick Roberts had been chopped down in the box following a superb run.

George Waring pulled one back for Everton with 15 minutes to go to set up a nervy finish but Steve Wigley's side held on for the three points.

The Whites are next in action on Saturday (11am) when they again travel to the North-West, this time to take on Bolton Wanderers.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/09/u18s-everton-result?

WhiteJC

Senderos' Summary

Philippe Senderos was pleased Fulham brought a halt to their run of games without a clean sheet at the weekend – and he insists there are plenty of pluses to take from the match at Norwich City.

The goalless draw with the Canaries on Saturday was the first time since our trip to Chelsea's Stamford Bridge back in November that the Whites have managed to keep the opposition out.

And our Swiss centre-back was clearly delighted with the overdue shutout, telling fulhamfc.com: "As a defender, I'm definitely happy that we didn't concede.

"It's been a while since we've had a clean sheet and it feels good to know we can rely on our defensive stability and, hopefully, we can do that in the next game and push on and score some goals.

"We have to take the positives from the game. I think a draw away from home – especially with a clean sheet – is a positive thing. We kept it tight at the back and we were hoping we could create a few more chances in the second half but, unfortunately, the goal didn't come. But we stayed strong and it's important that we keep a good stability and build on from the point."

After causing Manchester United all manner of problems in our last outing, the shot count wasn't as impressive at Carrow Road. A solitary effort by Steve Sidwell proved to be our only shot on target, and Philippe admitted that a cutting edge was lacking somewhat.

"It was important to be strong at the back and not give them any chances and then try and push on forward," he explained. "As soon as we got behind their midfield it was quite difficult and we needed to turn the screw a bit more and make sure we play that last pass, but we gave them time to get back into position.

"It didn't quite happen for us but the point is the important thing and we moved forward in the table with that."

Senderos has been selected at the heart of the Fulham defence for the last three matches – a run which has seen only two goals shipped – and the 27-year-old is happy with his recent game time.

"I'm really pleased to be back in the side and bringing my qualities to the Team," Philippe said. "Hopefully I can give good performances and keep my place.

"We've got a little while until our next match now so we'll regroup and recover – it's been a busy period and now we have a weekend off so it's time to focus. We're at home [in the next game] so it's an especially good opportunity to move forward."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/11/senderos-summary?

WhiteJC

Gameiro Joins Phoenix

Fulham can confirm that Under-21s striker Corey Gameiro has joined New Zealand side Wellington Phoenix on loan until the end of the A-League season.

The 20-year-old could make his Phoenix bow against Brisbane on Sunday.

The move is the Australian's second loan switch of the campaign, with the forward previously spending four months in the Netherlands with FC Eindhoven where he made eight appearances.

Phoenix slumped to second from bottom in the league after a recent 5-0 defeat at the hands of Central Coast.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/february/11/gameiro-joins-phoenix?

WhiteJC

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is in talks over a new deal at Craven Cottage

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has revealed he has held talks with the club about a new deal at Craven Cottage.

Schwarzer's current deal expires at the end of the season, but the Australian is keen to extend his stay in West London.

Despite turning 40 Schwarzer has no plans to hang up his gloves and has his sights on playing for his country at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

"I feel really good and don't think the age thing is hindering my performances in any way," Schwarzer told the Fulham Chronicle. "I've had some initial discussions and the intentions are there at the club to keep me.

"But in what capacity we'll have to wait and see. I want to be playing each week - that's the key for me. I love playing and don't want to be No.2 anywhere.

"The World Cup is also a huge priority and the reality is if I am not playing I don't think it would be possible to be a part of the national team. I just want to be out there enjoying every minute - especially at this stage of my career.

"If that means I have to move on at the end of the season, then that's fine also. Let's just see how we go."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8493858?