Main Menu

fulham v plymouth 1970 + barry Lloyd interview

Started by Ged, February 14, 2013, 03:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ged

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Ged on February 14, 2013, 03:57:09 PM
http://youtu.be/IahJAqRTR9w

Fulham v Plymouth 1970 Thanks Jed this was brilliant, brought back fond memories. The players reaction to the tackles makes no comparison to todays players and referee decisions

Travers Barney

Tremendous stuff...the open and candid interview afterwards reminds me of days gone by.....my Dad and his brothers were always pretty critical of Barry (probably because of his previous)...comes across here as a proper nice fella....not his fault he had to take over from JH.

coyw
We are the whites

In the Enclosure

Met Barry in a pub at Riverside  Staines about 1971 when a Fulham mate and I were up at the bar getting the drinks in.
We all chatted so long about Fulham that eventually our girlfriends and Barry's came to find out where their drinks were.
Really nice guy and always a trier for Fulham.

Lighthouse

Players who are lucid and easy to understand and don't come out with set speeches. Them were the days
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cheerupjimmyhill

Excellent, thank you good memories.

My first Fulham team that i remember also loved the red socks.

Couple of other things were how rare now would it be to have the same two wingers for what must have been six years at least and also anyone know if it was a big decision by the club at the time to take away the view of the river by building the riverside plus how easy would it have been to get planning permission (as it turned out a decision that nearly sent us to the wall).

Snibbo

Thanks for that. I was looking for myself in the crowd.

What an intelligent bloke Barry Lloyd was.

Interesting the advertisement boards around the pitch:

Mackeson
Manns
Rizla
Bovril
Esso
Youngs
Van Heusen
Ford
Levi's
Duckhams
Watneys
Long John
Stones special one Wine
Guards
Fyffes
World Books
Captain Morgan Rum
Mackeson
Coca Cola
Vision Hire.

Ged

Quote from: Snibbo on February 15, 2013, 09:08:28 AM

do you remember the advertisement board behind the goal in the Putney End for the Samaritans?
but what a team Conway Halom Earle lloyd and Barrett anybody could score

epsomraver

Quote from: Snibbo on February 15, 2013, 09:08:28 AM

Mackeson
Manns
Rizla
Bovril
Esso
Youngs
Van Heusen
Ford
Levi's
Duckhams
Watneys
Long John
Stones special one Wine
Guards
Fyffes
World Books
Captain Morgan Rum
Mackeson
Coca Cola
Vision Hire.

You forgot the venetian blind laundry of Putney
Also the difference in the leg sizes of these players compared to the modern footballer, these blokes had thigh muscles especially old Fred.he could create a ripple on the thames when he ran up the pitch.

LBNo11

...always good to see my favourite Fulham team and Les Barrett play - even though not one of his better games - he was a constant source of danger; also my next favourite player Fred Callaghan making some lovely touches. Good to cathc a glimpse of my most favourite Fulham scarf, the white diagonal stripe one the Fulham fan in a red top is wearing as the Pilgrim's player bends over to pull up his socks on 3:18; I wish you could still get those.

Barry Lloyd, on reflection had an almost impossible task to not just take over The Maestro's shirt number, but the captaincy, all the while tainted with the blue brush, he came across very well in the interview, was pragmatic and realistic.

A really quality video too, Craven Cottage in the sunshine, lovely, thanks for sharing Ged...

PS: this reminded me of the expression "Ave 'im Vic" in relation to Vic Halom's uncompromising style!

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Holders

I'd planned to go to this as my first Fulham game but in the end I didn't go until the following game - the League Cup game against QPR they mentioned. We won 2-0.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Thanks for that Ged. it made up for us not having a game this week end.

What talent we had in that team, Earl Barrat and Conway was one of my favourite Fulham attacks each of them had pace and smooth silky skills, Stan Brown and Fred Callaghan were great heroes and always gave 100 per cent.

The big point to remember is that that team was made up of a lot of home grown talent and low price buys. Why can'twe find that type of player today, Earl Barrat and Conway would be outstanding in today's premiership team.

Interesting to hear Lloyd say that the weakness in the team was not winning the ball in midfield, not everything changes.

Ged

Quote from: filham on February 15, 2013, 11:10:08 AM
Thanks for that Ged. it made up for us not having a game this week end
if you would like to watch any more games i got over 100 fulham games at http://www.youtube.com/user/TAVYTINA?feature=mhee
i will post some new ones here next week that arent up one the site yet

Lighthouse

Wasn't it great to see tackling. They used have that in the old days.

Were there any televised games we actually won? fp.gif
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham1959

A real treat to watch open, free-flowing football. 

Once again it was dry, so no gloves worn by the keepers  -  those were the days, and I was a mere 22 years old.  Fabulous flying leap by Seymour, to grab that cross !

Thanks, Ged.

RaySmith

cheerupjimmyhill

Once again Ged thanks for that..

You obviously know how to find things on the net, i have been trying to find some radio commentry of our europa league campaign mainly juve and Hamburg.

any ideas?

Ged

Quote from: cheerupjimmyhill on February 15, 2013, 07:30:06 PM
Once again Ged thanks for that..

You obviously know how to find things on the net, i have been trying to find some radio commentry of our europa league campaign mainly juve and Hamburg.

any ideas?
you can try http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rgm1l but unless somebody has recorded it you be lucky to find radio commentrys

Andy S

The Nostalga this weekend Fantastic Ged.  You tend to forget passing back to the keeper and one sub. I would have stood on the half way line at that time. Great to see the old games again. The plymouth keeper was a large fellow as well