watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

standing at craven cottage?!

Started by will91fulham, February 19, 2013, 03:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigalffc

no thanks, much safer to bring the grandchildren when it,s all seated.
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

A Humble Man

Football still attracts people who go to cause trouble and they can do more damage if they can stand and even more if they can drink.  Other sports do not have such spectators and thus do not need the restrictions only applied to football supporters: Seating, no drinking in site of the pitch, segregation and considerable cctv, police and stewards.

Go to any away game as a Fulham supporter and you will see fellow supporters showing why all these measures are still necessary.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

General safe standing is like sitting in one designated position, only you stand, in one designated posiition.  It is nothing like the old terrace experience at the Cottage.

It does nothing for the atmosphere, as it does not allow for movement of people to congregate into an area to sing together.  If it does, it is no longer safe standing.

If it could be employed in a small designtaed area, then like minded fans could buy season tickets for that area and create an area that has a larger % of fans who want to sing.  In that event it may "improve" the atmosphere in that area but that "improvement" would impact on the surrounding areas..

SKSW6

Quote from: bigalffc on February 19, 2013, 07:29:16 PM
no thanks, much safer to bring the grandchildren when it,s all seated.

Why wouldn't you just take them to a seated area then?

Terry Angus

Quote from: alfie on February 19, 2013, 06:59:33 PM
Quote from: Terry Angus on February 19, 2013, 05:07:51 PM
no brainer. if there's a market/consumer appetite for it then definitely, yes. it gets more people into the ground, improving the atmosphere and probably both increasing the club's revenue and lowering the cost of some tickets, and returning football to its rightful owners, working class british men. provided it's properly arranged and policed it's safe, or safer than going to a gig, anyway. 

"working class british men"

So it seems you are of the opinion that ladies like Beserker should not attend football?

and if i have worked hard got myself a bit of money and a bit better standard of living, i am not invited?

exactly. no wooftas or foreigners either

SuffolkWhite

Never a problem standing at Fulham back in the day, and there should be a standing area in the Hammy where there would be more singing. But no standing in the Putney where they all stand anyway in the away end!!!!!!!

Got fed up with being told to sit down at Norwich when the home fans were standing all the way through.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Alan

Quote from: fulhamross on February 19, 2013, 03:36:01 PM
maybe in the stevenage road enclosure where it used to be. everywhere else is temporary though

I bloody hope so! Do I get priority for already being there?
Why would you kill it, kill it, kill it before it dies?

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on February 19, 2013, 10:02:22 PM
there should be a standing area in the Hammy where there would be more singing.

:scarf:
Foolish ham

Andy S

Standing at Football Grounds has gone forever. There are camera's all over the ground. For any reason you can be identified by your seat number. If you had a standing area you can't identify anyone. It really is a no brainer. At the minute even if you stand they can still identify you. I'm not sure what the appeal is about standing apart from the cost. You wouldn't go to the cinema and stand and watch a film. I used to stand because I couldn't afford a seat. But I suppose it is everybodys right to have a choice.

The Rock

This should be done. But, like the special people who get to go through security at the airport with a special card and not need be scanned, this would be the only way.

Frequent fliers on the "approved safe fliers list" can also consume alcohol provided they are well behaved. 2 drink minimum.

Said members will have access to Sani free no touch toilets as well.

Let's face it, this is silly, though I'd love to stand.

HatterDon

Quote from: Andy S on February 20, 2013, 12:33:41 AM
Standing at Football Grounds has gone forever. There are camera's all over the ground. For any reason you can be identified by your seat number. If you had a standing area you can't identify anyone. It really is a no brainer. At the minute even if you stand they can still identify you. I'm not sure what the appeal is about standing apart from the cost. You wouldn't go to the cinema and stand and watch a film. I used to stand because I couldn't afford a seat. But I suppose it is everybodys right to have a choice.

I also don't understand the appeal of standing. I did a lot of it in the 60s and 70s, and I liked it fine. I also liked paying 8-10 bob to do so. If I'm paying more than a fiver, however, I want a $!%@$% seat.

I always suspect that the lions share of folks who call for the return of standing never stood for 90+ minutes in a driving rain on a Saturday afternoon and didn't get all the feeling back in their lower extremities until early Sunday morning.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

SKSW6

Do you also sing "come on James Bond" at his films? Jump up and cheer when he kills the bad guy? Travel hundreds of miles to watch his latest film every other week?

They're completely different things and they shouldn't be compared. There's actually quite a large movement for safe standing now with 20 odd football league clubs backing its introduction.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/view/safe-standing-campaign

Nobody is advocating grounds be completely converted to all standing. This is just for an area where people who may already stand for 90 minutes, 100s of which do at the back of the Hammy End at every home game, to be able to do so where they won't smash their shins in and fall over seats celebrating a goal.

I personally find it unnatural to sit to watch a match at the ground, so my ST is at the back of H5 and I try my best to move to the back at away games to do so if I can so I won't get in anyone else's way. I've never had a run in with the police in any part of my life and I know a lot of Fulham who I see at games standing who haven't either, they just want to stand to watch a game and create a passionate atmosphere, simple as that.

FC Silver Fox

Some standing room at each end .. no wait, I haven't finished... you should be able to change ends at half-time by walking around the back of the Thamesbank/Riverside.   

(bit of nostalgia rammed down yer lugholes on a Wednesday morning)
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

King_Crud

Quote from: HatterDon on February 20, 2013, 03:37:44 AM

I also don't understand the appeal of standing. I did a lot of it in the 60s and 70s, and I liked it fine. I also liked paying 8-10 bob to do so. If I'm paying more than a fiver, however, I want a $!%@$% seat.

I always suspect that the lions share of folks who call for the return of standing never stood for 90+ minutes in a driving rain on a Saturday afternoon and didn't get all the feeling back in their lower extremities until early Sunday morning.

I've stood at many games over the last 7 years, both in Australia and Germany, and would gladly do it again given the option.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I have sat on the terraces at Craven Cottage and Stamford Bridge and watched at poorly attended pre season frendlies...

Rupert

Quote from: SKSW6 on February 20, 2013, 08:05:42 AM

Do you also sing "come on James Bond" at his films? Jump up and cheer when he kills the bad guy? Travel hundreds of miles to watch his latest film every other week?

I certainly do, well, apart from travelling hundreds of miles every week, I just pop round to the local multiplex.
Mind you, you should have seen the looks on the faces of the kids around me last time I was allowed to watch Bambi, when I yelled out "Look out! He's got a gun!" to Bambi's mum. Blimey, did they scream! I don't know why I bothered, though, the silly cow never listens and gets killed every time. Do you know they banned me for that? Scaring the kids, they said. Hey, I'm not the one who shot the deer, okay?
It's a bit like that with the Fulham players I shout at. I'll shout out encouraging remarks to them, like, "why don't you just play for the opposition you useless nark?" and do you know, week after week they keep on coming back. Why do I bother, eh?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Church is for kneeling, Opera is for sitting and football's for standing ................ sitting at football is plain wrong.
However, I think peeps should have a choice.

IMO Enclosure should be for teenagers, flat charge £10.00,  put proper stewards  in charge of the area.  I bet our away support would increase year on year.   
Personally,   I do not care much as I stand every week

ron

It's down to giving people choice ! Now we know the real reason for the tragedy at Hillsborough, then standing should be perfectly safe at every game if all the lessons have been learned.

And it would take away the excuse for people at the front of seating areas to stand up at exciting times during the game...they could be removed to the enclosure.

...and we who enjoy the atmosphere of standing can have what we want at a reduced price.