watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

nostalgia

Started by nose, February 19, 2013, 03:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhaman

Wish I was born at this time. Watching this makes me think that football standards havent changed.

Fulham33

For what it's worth I was at both games. Right behind the goal and position "A" to see Mitch's at Hillsborough (where we were robbed!). But it was Maine Road that sticks out. Not just the result but the journey. Huge queue for coaches outside the Cottage and then one pulled up next to us near the back of the queue and said he would take the first 50 of us so we piled in. Big mistake if had problems half way there and we only just got to the ground on time. Stopped and wouldn't start again at a service station full of pee'd off Brummies on the way home. Waited ages. Repair arrived. Got back to Cottage whilst the milkman was doing his rounds (which was fortunate because my car failed to start and he helped push it. Can't remember whan I eventually got home. Needless to say did not go to college that day!! Would do it again tomorrow - given the chance.   

Travers Barney

Quote from: Fulham33 on February 22, 2013, 04:37:16 PM
For what it's worth I was at both games. Right behind the goal and position "A" to see Mitch's at Hillsborough (where we were robbed!). But it was Maine Road that sticks out. Not just the result but the journey. Huge queue for coaches outside the Cottage and then one pulled up next to us near the back of the queue and said he would take the first 50 of us so we piled in. Big mistake if had problems half way there and we only just got to the ground on time. Stopped and wouldn't start again at a service station full of pee'd off Brummies on the way home. Waited ages. Repair arrived. Got back to Cottage whilst the milkman was doing his rounds (which was fortunate because my car failed to start and he helped push it. Can't remember whan I eventually got home. Needless to say did not go to college that day!! Would do it again tomorrow - given the chance.   

Nice post Fulham33 wish I could have been at Maine Road.

coyw
We are the whites

Artful Dodger

Brilliant! Have followed Fulham for nearly 30 years and never seen that! Made my weekend!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Travers Barney

Quote from: SG on February 20, 2013, 07:32:45 AM
We were there and although tickets were bought through FFC we were in the Brum end. A small group of us right down the front and old bill would not let us move to the other end. Not a nice day with bottles flying around. Remember a bloke in the stand was hit by a bottle and had blood all down the side of his head.

There were quite a few Brum in the left hand side of the Leppings Lane End too that day if my memory serves me right...remember dodging bottles too...as a 11 year old just remember the fervour and the grand national results on some kind of screen...sure spanish steps the grey was involved + l'escargot....

coyw
We are the whites

cheerupjimmyhill

Quote from: Travers Barney on February 22, 2013, 10:10:45 PM
Quote from: SG on February 20, 2013, 07:32:45 AM
We were there and although tickets were bought through FFC we were in the Brum end. A small group of us right down the front and old bill would not let us move to the other end. Not a nice day with bottles flying around. Remember a bloke in the stand was hit by a bottle and had blood all down the side of his head.

There were quite a few Brum in the left hand side of the Leppings Lane End too that day if my memory serves me right...remember dodging bottles too...as a 11 year old just remember the fervour and the grand national results on some kind of screen...sure spanish steps the grey was involved + l'escargot....

coyw

yes remember the grand national results i think l'escargot won. from then on i always presume semi final weekend will always be on grand national weekend.

cmg

Good, weren't we?
Birmingham weren't a great top flight side, but Howard Kendall had been pretty good in his time and Francis and Burns were soon to be winning the European Cup with Forest.

How magnificent Bobby Moore was that day. Sure he rightly 'belongs' to West Ham, but he didn't just turn out for us for a last fling. He played 150 times for us and almost always delivered stuff like this every time. It's not often you get to be able to watch a player of whom you could reasonably argue was the best ever to play in his position.

How many full-backs did Birmingham try against Les Barrett? I think they were getting them out of the crowd towards the end. In any event, he made them all look like they were wearing lead divers boots. I'm amazed that LB No11 hasn't mentioned how good he was that day...more than once.

Brian Moore (good commentator) mentioned a crowd of 55,000 and 'reciepts of £100,000'. Probably about right. My ticket is priced at £1. Surprising that Mitch and Mooro could afford the enormous quantities of extra material required for those shirt collars, ties and bell-bottom trousers.

On the subject of Trevor Francis, I was rather taken by Brian Clough here talking (1.15 to 2.40) about the bloke for whom he had paid a record £1million transfer fee and who had just scored the winning goal in the European Cup. (He also has some observations about TV.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZsoF-ghw#

Holders

I just had to listen to it on the wireless but got to the final...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Grumpy Old Fart

Thanks for posting this - brought back memories of John Mitchell almost jumping into the crowd in front of me. What I had forgotten was how great that goal was!

Strangely, there's no trace on this recording of something that even now brings me out in  goose bumps - the Brum fans singing 'Keep Right on to the End of the Road'. Does anyone else remember this?

(Sadly I couldn't make the replay but did go to Wembley).