watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sir Bobby Moore !!!

Started by MOR :, February 20, 2013, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brightster

Great memories of the man, just glad I got chance to see him play, especially for us.
Like the idea of the applause on six minutes, how about if everybody and sings "stand up for Bobby Moore" just like we did for Woy! At least then everyone will know why we are doing it.

RaySmith

Quote from: Burt on February 20, 2013, 10:13:47 PM
I kind of get the stance of the club... Generally speaking, a minute's silence / applause tends to be for those recently departed. The fact that they are planning other forms of tribute in the program is probably appropriate.

Like Burt, I can see the club's view - he is a West Ham legend rather than Fulham , imo - only playing for us for a comparatively short period near the end of is career, though he did help get us to an FA Cup Final!

Apparently he  didn't get the respect he deserved after he'd finished playing, according a recent 5 Live programme . It tells of him being thrown out of West Ham, where he used to get in for free, before a match, and told that he had to buy a ticket.

Someone else said that Bobby used to  sell 'anoraks' from the boot of his car outside Wembley before an England game  on which he commentating. And it is only recently that a proper memorial has been erected to him at Wembley, his wife was saying.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: epsomraver on February 20, 2013, 07:27:01 PM
Got to say that he was really a Hammers boy and although he played for us , I think we are stealing West Ham's thunder by trying to copy them, just my thoughts and not meant to offend anyone

I agree with that but I'd go further.

There are occasions when a tribute is appropriate particularly for former players who have just died but if we're to commemorate anniversaries we'll be doing this every match.

The more it's done the less the impact.

bog

Thanks for those photos MOR. Emotion is a welling. If the club does not think to do a minute's appreciation (scandalous) then perhaps the supporters will start an impromptu one. 

092.gif

The Enclosurite

No reason why a 6th minute applause shouldn't still happen.  The club can't control that.
¡COYW!

bog

The fact that he was the man who lifted the World Cup for his country is enough for every ground to show their thoughts.

092.gif