watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR-Derek

Started by Travers Barney, February 20, 2013, 10:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travers Barney

I'm sure others will have contrasting views.

For me every episode gets better and more poignant.

coyw

We are the whites

Mr-ska

I like Ricky Gevias..   but watching Derek makes me want boil my head...  sorry mate .

Mr K.Dilkington

I need to start watching that. Would I be correct in saying that Karl Pilkington is hilarious in that?,because that's what i've heard anyway. Supposedly he's as funny in Derek as he is in an Idiot abroad.
Foolish ham

Jack Fulham

All 4 episodes so far here - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derek/4od

No adverts either which is nice, find ever more increasing ads when I watch 4od these days. Must of been Gervais' doing.

Travers Barney

Quote from: Mr-ska on February 20, 2013, 11:17:40 PM
I like Ricky Gevias..   but watching Derek makes me want boil my head...  sorry mate .

Don't be sorry Mr Ska...aware there would be a mixed bag...for me I don't like his stand up stuff...or any stand up really...Karl Pilkington is the funniest character for sure in it but the whole thing is far from a comedy.

coyw
We are the whites

Lighthouse

Not funny ha ha at all. Not sure why it is considered a comedy. But it is very moving at times and pulls at the old heart strings. Very bitty but worth the watch.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

fulhaman

I have to admit I can see why ppl dont like it. But I hasve fallen in love with it, its not all jokes, but when the jokes come they are quality. Defo looking forward to see where this goes. Knowing reckie there wont be many series of it though.

Mr-ska

I love Gervias Stand-up..

Some of his films have been.. errr  poor..

The Office and Extras are Classics of our time...

Berserker

I haven't seen it and was put off by the trailers. On reading this thread i think i'll give it a go
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Northern Cottager

I watched the first of the series with the missus and was surprised. It seemed a lot more aimed at making a point rather than being a comedy but did have some witty punch lines thrown in. Karl Pilkington once again plays a blinder, doesn't seem to be acting and sounds exactly the same as he does in An Idiot Abroad.

SKSW6

Absolutely love Ricky Gervais, have listened to the podcasts and old XFM shows over and over, loved The Office, and Extras is one of my favourite TV series ever. But I can't really get into Derek that much, despite Karl being great in it. It just seems overly preachy and IMO it's not touching/funny/clever enough to compensate or justify it. Really didn't like Life's Too Short which he did before this either.

TonyGilroy

I'm not a fan.

The Office and Extras were great but every other time I've encountered Gervaise he's irritated me to the point where I now actively avoid anything he's in.

So I haven't watched Derek.

Northern Cottager

Quote from: TonyGilroy on February 21, 2013, 10:31:38 AM

I'm not a fan.

The Office and Extras were great but every other time I've encountered Gervaise he's irritated me to the point where I now actively avoid anything he's in.

So I haven't watched Derek.

I was exactly like this, didn't even like Extras or The Office, they made me cringe until I watched his stand up called Science, this changed my attitude towards him. Very funny!

Travers Barney

Last night's finale was a great sign off.

Loved the whole series...more sad than funny and not ashamed to say I shed a tear at the end.

Kindness is nice as old Morrissey would say!
We are the whites

leonffc

Although 'the office' was great I hate Gervais (and now you Ska) so much that I couldn't bring myself to watch Extras despite liking a couple of episodes. And idiot abroad was quality until that tnuc (backwards) came on the phone with his stupid fake laugh.
A proper fit bird at work keeps wanting me to watch Derek and I did try but according to her and a few mates I need to watch the whole series rather than last weeks episode, which I'm not prepared to do.
Gervais (Brent) and Corden (Smithy) are living their lives through their charecters and really don't deserve any credit IMO. I respect it is my pinion and not you guys but they're knobs.
Sorry to spoil your thread Barney :-)

JackyFulham90

Didn't like it as first but has grown on me

Burt

I may give it a whirl.

I don't "get" Gervais, I think he is massively over-rated.

But I'm open minded so will check this out and see if it does anything for me.

:wine:

cusackdribble

I'd completely gone off RG having loved The Office and Extras. Watched the first Derek and didn't like it - but loved it by the last one. Be patient...

zschwartz

Can't decide how i feel about it.

Pilkington is impressive. as for gervais, is it a good thing to see such a main character portrayed in a positive light...? or is it just a slightly altered trope of the mentally deficient lead character who is obnoxiously wise beyond his years and/or whimsically enlightened?  the whole thing seems overly manipulative... it's as though he took the sometimes ham fisted emotional tone of the xmas specials for the first two (office/ extras) and stretched it out over the whole of the series.

The office/xtras were funny for 12 episodes before they got into the emotional material; it worked because by that point i was moderately invested in the characters.  Derek is like he figured out a shortcut. it's like watching gervais do propaganda... but propaganda that seems more or less agreeable. even if it isn't funny. at all.