https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Oscar Pistorious

Started by TonyGilroy, February 21, 2013, 08:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: RaySmith on February 21, 2013, 10:59:34 AM
Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on February 21, 2013, 10:51:45 AM
I am trying to work out why people think that firing 4 times into a 1.5m3 room with a locked door is unintentional killing warranting only a manslaughter charge.  If you fire that many times you are trying to kill somebody, it is not an unintentional killing...

Yes, but his vulnerability and fear of being attacked would be the defence  I would think.

One person has locked themself in a toilet and one is firing 4 bullets into it - which one is the more frightened and vulnerable at that point?

aFFCn_Fan

Because I live in SA, I feel I should add something here...I don't really have anything original to add...but when did that stop me.

The angle of the media coverage of the court case, I imagine, is similar in UK, US and online, as it is here (obviously less priority given elsewhere, but facts and reporting is probably similar). Sounds like it is probably going to be one of the country's biggest court cases (with global eyes on it), and remember this is only the bail hearing. And there's some falsehoods coming out in the press, which we're taking for gospel.

When you add all the evidence up it doesn't look good for him. But likewise, unless he breaks down and confesses we'll never know. And even his current breakdowns in court don't seem to convince everyone.

So the bit I can tell you about with any sense of experience is South Africa. It can be a pretty violent country - look at its history. There's obviously a lot of problems to get over since the apartheid regime disintegrated. Protests at government's failure to deliver services often turn into what the Uk would classify as riots - setting fire to things, beating the crap out of passers-by, protesting on streets and making a huge mess. Murder and rape numbers are scary (something like 350 rapes a day). Serious road traffic accidents are common place - there's no annual MOT, and open trucks often carry countless workers on the back. Public transport is largely minibus taxis, which carry up to 20 people, and are often not roadworthy and driven badly. Drink driving is huge too. The death count in December is well over 1000 every year. Most months average 1000 road deaths.

The EQ is right with his observations - robberies are violent. Guns are legal - closer to US gun laws than UK. Houses in the wealthier suburbs often have electric fences, radar beams and private security firms on alert, as well as gated/boomed communities. The police are not trusted or the laws respected. There are areas you wouldn't go in daytime or night.

BUT...the majority of people here are welcoming and friendly. The lifestyle (compared to the UK for the same kind of money) is amazing. The weather kicks ass. The wildlife and country is awe-inspiring. Would I move back to the UK? Never say never, but it would be hard to get used to the rain and cost of everything. Is Oscar guilty and how long will he get? I don't know.

@hincharoo

The Equalizer

Quote from: aFFCn_Fan on February 21, 2013, 11:49:47 AM
BUT...the majority of people here are welcoming and friendly. The lifestyle (compared to the UK for the same kind of money) is amazing. The weather kicks ass. The wildlife and country is awe-inspiring. Would I move back to the UK? Never say never, but it would be hard to get used to the rain and cost of everything. Is Oscar guilty and how long will he get? I don't know.

I have to agree mate. You need to keep your wits about you, but my time in PE, the Garden Route and Cape Town was incredible. The people friendly, both black and white. It is an extremely stunning and rich country, but like all of Africa, it still borders on the wild.

A truly amazing place and I cannot wait to get back there again.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

NogoodBoyo

Seeing as most are driving around the houses without delivering the package that poor old Gilroy requested, I'll humour him.
Nogood "saying eight years, isit"

TonyGilroy

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on February 21, 2013, 01:02:20 PM
Seeing as most are driving around the houses without delivering the package that poor old Gilroy requested, I'll humour him.
Nogood "saying eight years, isit"

Thank you.

A plain answer to a simple question albeit wrapped with a Nogood isit.

Lighthouse

Punishment for a man who shot into a closed room killing a loved one. Now the question on the table is what should the punishment be if all he claimed is true. My opinion is it was reckless and so two years in an open prison and then two years doing some good for the community.

But having a gun is madness and anybody who has one for what ever reason should be shot.  :Get Coat gif:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on February 21, 2013, 09:10:27 AM
Surely it has to be manslaughter if his " story" is true  he would probably get 5 years due to remorse of killing a loved one and his disability, not sure how harsh the sentencing is in SA probably harsher than here where he would get a community order.

I don't think he should get a lesser sentence because of his disability, after all he can probably run faster than everyone else in the prison.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

horse1031

TonyGilroy, i think that he should get atleast 10 years.  I think that he is guilty and created the story after he shot her.  It sounds like he had his ducks in a row and has some story about a burglar but either way you look at it he is crazy for shooting through the bathroom door without seeing who it was.  I have a feeling he is going to get off with only a year or 2 for not having a registered gun and self defense.  If he is innocent, poor guy because he is going to jail and his girlfriend is dead and he has to live with that for the rest is his life.  An awful thing all around really.

A Humble Man

It sound as if he has been caught bang to rights as his defence does not sound plausible. Do they not have the death penalty in South Africa for murder?
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Bang him up and throw away the key

Shooting an armed intruder when confronted by him is one thing.  Shooting into a locked room at an unseen and trapped 'intruder' is another ...

jarv

I'll stab a guess, without any knowledge if SA laws/punishments....I'd say 5 years. Given that I never predict Fulham scores correctly don't put any money on that guess.
Strange and sad event.

aFFCn_Fan

Quote from: A Humble Man on February 21, 2013, 02:39:30 PM
It sound as if he has been caught bang to rights as his defence does not sound plausible. Do they not have the death penalty in South Africa for murder?
Nope. But there are calls to bring it back. Often by the relatives of victims of violent crime. I don't think it will happen however.

Despite the apparent lack of respect for life in the country (crime and roads...and hospital system), I think the death penalty would be seen as a human rights issue and set the country back on a global scale if introduced. And they desperately need to be seen to be advancing as a country.  
@hincharoo

westcliff white

If his reasoning is the truth, would he not have put his legs on to confront them?

All seems weird to me, his version, the detective, the whole thing seems. Very strange
Every day is a Fulham day

Peabody

Tony, before answering your question, can I ask one, is it right that they do not have a jury system in South Africa? And if that is right, what system do they have?

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Peabody on February 21, 2013, 04:47:40 PM
Tony, before answering your question, can I ask one, is it right that they do not have a jury system in South Africa? And if that is right, what system do they have?

No jury. A Judge with probably two legal assistants.

cebu

7 years, Mr TG.

No I don't know anything about SA law, but I've lived for several years in the Philippines, which is a fairly gun happy place - citizens are legally allowed to obtain pistols/rifles/ammo with little in the way of paperwork.

Using a weapon to shoot dead an intruder would be regarded as a "job well done" although a court case might ensue. The chances of conviction would be virtually zero.

Well off people live in guarded subdivisions – ours in Cebu has 24x7 motorized guards, armed with automatic weapons. Nevertheless, this will not deter criminals with a "nothing to lose" mentality from having a go. So you'll see the wealthy denizens of our subdivision protecting their individual properties with very high walls plus their own private security within – armed with sub-machine guns and ready to use them.

Why I am I waffling on about the Philippines?

Well, if I was in the UK, I wouldn't be tempted to shoot – you'd have to assume the criminals only had thieving in mind.
But in the Phils (and I'm guessing it's similar in SA) they're going to kill as well as rob their victims. Panicking and opening fire wildly on an intruder doesn't seem quite so weird if you become familiar with an environment so vastly different to the comparative safety of your own country.

Peabody

In answer to the question, I can see the case being flung out because we already have the evidence of the people who allegedly heard shouting being discredited, as they where hundreds of metres from the house. Cannot understand why the detective in charge was given this case, as he also faces murder charges. Either way, Oscar's athletics career is now in shreds, as well as his reputation.

YankeeJim

Quote from: RaySmith on February 21, 2013, 10:59:34 AM
Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on February 21, 2013, 10:51:45 AM
I am trying to work out why people think that firing 4 times into a 1.5m3 room with a locked door is unintentional killing warranting only a manslaughter charge.  If you fire that many times you are trying to kill somebody, it is not an unintentional killing...

Yes, but his vulnerability and fear of being attacked would be the defence  I would think.

If I'm on the opposite side of a closed door and have a 9 mil in my hand, I'm not going to be too terribly frightened and would not feel the need to shoot through a closed door. If I had taken the time to go get a fan and close a door and than hollered for the Mrs. and she hadn't answered....Sorry, I wasn't there but his story is the stretch of a desperate man.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: Peabody on February 21, 2013, 06:20:42 PM
In answer to the question, I can see the case being flung out because we already have the evidence of the people who allegedly heard shouting being discredited, as they where hundreds of metres from the house. Cannot understand why the detective in charge was given this case, as he also faces murder charges. Either way, Oscar's athletics career is now in shreds, as well as his reputation.

"flung out" Aren't you forgetting that somebody was killed?

Peabody

Oh sorry Ted, I forgot that I tend to give you the opportunity to jump on everything I say. Yes  I am fully aware that a person died and yes I fully symphasise and yes I used an unfortunate phrase but In my opinion and based on what is being reported, it would appear that the prosecution case is being cut to pieces, even the allegation about drugs being found has turned out to be herbs. Tell what Ted, why don't you just scroll past my posts which you obviously feel are inferior to your higher intellect.