watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Oscar Pistorious

Started by TonyGilroy, February 21, 2013, 08:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

If the question is: If he is telling the whole truth what should he get? then, if he is charged with Murder, acquittal is the only answer.

Depends on exactly what they have charged him with. Yes he killed the girl, but if it was, as he claims, in self-defense, then where does the intent lie? Is there a lesser charge of (similar to) manslaughter?

Without understanding the current law of SA, it's a little difficult to answer with any conviction (pun intended).

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I don't think he has got a ......

Burt

There are all sorts of things going against him at the moment (if the press are to be believed):
1. The loud arguments in the lead up to this.
2. The fact that she locked herself in to the bathroom.
3. His love of guns.
4. His house being in a gated, secure, guarded complex.

I don't know the legal system well enough to comment with any authority, but would be surprised if he got anything less than 10 years.

Shredhead

What I can't believe is that he's allegedly shot his girlfriend on Valentines Day, is up in court on a murder charge facing a long stretch of porridge...but he's still got a spring in his step. fp.gif
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

MikeCdawg

The prosecution said he hasn't got a leg to stand on...

Holders

I do find it strange that he allegedly shot through the door without even issuing a challenge. Isn't it more likely, on the balance of probability, that it was his girlfriend in there, rather than a burglar, as he could see that she wasn't in the bed?

I do believe in the reasonable right of defence against intruders, as per the bloke in Norfolk, but shooting blindly is a bit excessive even in a place like SA.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

King_Crud

I don't understand the big fuss. It's not like it's the first time a guy has woken up legless on valentines day and shot his load on his girlfriends body while thinking she's someone else?

cottage cheese

i dont even understand why people say he could be a flight risk etc. All you have to do is take away his legs, where is he going to go? (joke from work not mine!)

Holders

Christ - can he fly with those things as well?!

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: Holders on February 22, 2013, 10:29:13 AM
Some of the "jokes" regarding this incident make my very uncomfortable as a young woman has died. But points for that one Holders, very clever !

FFCAli

Getting away from the original question, what I can't understand is why, when there are so many disputes over "facts" they allowed her body to be cremated.  The police said that the trajectory of the bullets proved that Pistorius had put his legs on.  Surely the defence would want their own post mortem to be able to argue about that.  What about other injuries?  Evidence of alcohol or drugs?  So many things may be alleged with no way to check them.  Look at the Ian Tomlinson case  -  the original post-mortem was totally discredited but only because further ones were carried out.

Holders

I don't think that anyone thinks that thhe;
Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on February 22, 2013, 10:34:25 AM
Quote from: Holders on February 22, 2013, 10:29:13 AM
Some of the "jokes" regarding this incident make my very uncomfortable as a young woman has died. But points for that one Holders, very clever !

No-one's suggesting that her death is a laughing matter. Comments on that have been serious. It's a pity that the general jokes on Pistorius are mixed up with the serious comments in the same thread.

fulhaman

In my head this guy is so guilty. Why would you shot through the door. Anyway if that what he still though he still is a murder.

cottage cheese

Quote from: fulhaman on February 22, 2013, 11:26:48 AM
In my head this guy is so guilty. Why would you shot through the door. Anyway if that what he still though he still is a murder.

and plus his gf slept on the side which had the gun holster...soooooo something does not add up!

TonyGilroy

Seems to me that both the prosecution and defence cases are equally implausible yet one must be true.

Whatever the argument they may have been having how deranged must he have been to fire those shots knowing his girlfriend was in the toilet. Equally though how could he be shooting at a closed door without first checking where his girlfriend was. Neither scenario makes sense to me without serious amounts of drugs being in his system.

fulhaman

Yea I reckon she had lock himself in the bathroom, to be away from him and he shot her through it. Dame ass

MJG

Quote from: A Humble Man on February 22, 2013, 11:57:51 AM
In the UK if you shot four bullets through a door into a bathroom without challenging a supposed intruder that would be murder...
no, you would be a copper

aFFCn_Fan

Quote from: A Humble Man on February 22, 2013, 11:57:51 AM
In the UK if you shot four bullets through a door into a bathroom without challenging a supposed intruder that would be murder who ever was in the bathroom.

SA is actually somewhere between US and UK in terms of its justice systems and gun laws.

It's possible for some wealthier individuals to buy justice. In spite of the verdicts of social media around the globe, I think there will be a fair trial. South Africa is keen to be seen as a global player, and with this case, I'm sure there will be a huge emphasis by the court (and establishment) on seeing justice is done properly.
@hincharoo

The Enclosurite

¡COYW!

Senior Supporter

I think the judge got his Oscar's mixed up when giving his summing up ruling on the bail appeal. It was worthy of the Hollywood version. I couldn't help laughing at his long pause before announcing his decision. I'm sure he has been watching Strictly/X Factor.