more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Drink up Trig, we're Leaving

Started by Peabody, February 27, 2013, 02:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLB

Quote from: gang on February 28, 2013, 09:17:05 AM
cwying does it for me, I can't even listen to Roy Orbison singing it without thinking of that episode.

Good shout... Whenever I hear that song it's done in a "Roy" way.
The one where they meet Cassandra's parents and Albert accidentally mixes up the gravy and the coffee is another good one.... When Del offers him the "gravy" and Albert says nah, I'm alright, so Del insists and pours a load of Maxwell House all over his roast...!

The Equalizer

Quote from: Peabody on February 28, 2013, 09:26:37 AM
Just a question to our Americans, was the series ever shown over there and if it was, how was it received?

They decided to remake it with John Leguizamo playing 'Del Boy'. Then they thought better of it and binned the idea off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20693274

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Senior Supporter

Does "She's from Texas" ring bells with anyone?

epsomraver

Quote from: Peabody on February 28, 2013, 09:26:37 AM
Just a question to our Americans, was the series ever shown over there and if it was, how was it received?

When I was in OZ they didn't know of it out there, although they had Fawlty towers, not sure why

SG

Quote from: grandad on February 27, 2013, 09:00:32 PM
"Whats the French for duck Rodders?"
"Canard Del"
"I know it´s hard but what is it"

064.gif

filham

A great moment in a super show, always amusing to see it again .
Over Christmas the Two Ronnies  " Four Candles ( Fork Handles )" sketch was re run. That too was a great moment in comedy.
Sorry to sound like an old sourpuss but we just don't see comedy as good as these old ones nowadays.

Rupert

Quote from: filham on February 28, 2013, 12:23:56 PM
Sorry to sound like an old sourpuss but we just don't see comedy as good as these old ones nowadays.

Well, you do, you just have a job finding it. There was a BBC 3 series, "Getting on", all about life on a geriatric ward, maybe because I used to work in the NHS it really struck a chord, got rave reviews, and is not going to be made any more after three series. Ho hum. The comedy came not from slapstick or gross incompetence, but from normal everyday situations.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

HatterDon

I'm not aware of it being shown over here. There's a lot of regional, inside jokes that wouldn't work with a broad audience. Luckily, I was in England for at least part of the series and -- being England -- they showed the entire series 15 or 20 times and I got to watch them all.

I remember my delight when the missus turned to me and said, "What the hell is a beano and how is Margate involved?"
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

jarv

great thread. had me in tears (of laughter) this morning. It's youtube for me tonight.

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on February 28, 2013, 01:44:52 PM
I'm not aware of it being shown over here. There's a lot of regional, inside jokes that wouldn't work with a broad audience. Luckily, I was in England for at least part of the series and -- being England -- they showed the entire series 15 or 20 times and I got to watch them all.

I remember my delight when the missus turned to me and said, "What the hell is a beano and how is Margate involved?"

Ah, the Jolly Boys outing! Love it!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

alfie

Quote from: Banstead White on February 27, 2013, 08:35:31 PM
Quote from: Mr-ska on February 27, 2013, 08:32:35 PM
Quote from: Banstead White on February 27, 2013, 08:25:02 PM
Quote from: Peabody on February 27, 2013, 04:25:37 PM
Plus it's author John Sullivan, also wrote that well known Fulham supporter, Wolfie Smith, better known as Citizen Smith.
Whilst on the subject (well close) who remember budgie bird ......another TV fulham fan.

Wolfie smith lost the faith when he turned out to be a derby fan in real life......
Was Budgie Adam Faith..  i remember talking to him about a year before he died about Fulham. His daughter was in a Netball competition that my then girlfriend was in...  and we stood together for about 30 minutes and talked Fulham. About 1986
Yes he was....Charlie endell was the villain I think.....when I used to go and watch my old dad at the driving range at Esher I used to see him there.....Adam Faith wasnt his real name either of course......:)

real name Terry Nelms ~(not sure of surname spelling)
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Travers Barney

The Del handgliding/Rodney sunbed one was up there..literally.

We are the whites

Logicalman

Over Christmas the Two Ronnies  " Four Candles ( Fork Handles )" sketch was re run. That too was a great moment in comedy.

Just for you (and me too - one of their best ever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ#

and as for OFAH - Why do they call you Dave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRGPpwOw7xE#ws

Kell

Quote from: alfie on February 28, 2013, 06:39:54 PM
Quote from: Banstead White on February 27, 2013, 08:35:31 PM
Quote from: Mr-ska on February 27, 2013, 08:32:35 PM
Quote from: Banstead White on February 27, 2013, 08:25:02 PM
Quote from: Peabody on February 27, 2013, 04:25:37 PM
Plus it's author John Sullivan, also wrote that well known Fulham supporter, Wolfie Smith, better known as Citizen Smith.
Whilst on the subject (well close) who remember budgie bird ......another TV fulham fan.

Wolfie smith lost the faith when he turned out to be a derby fan in real life......
Was Budgie Adam Faith..  i remember talking to him about a year before he died about Fulham. His daughter was in a Netball competition that my then girlfriend was in...  and we stood together for about 30 minutes and talked Fulham. About 1986
Yes he was....Charlie endell was the villain I think.....when I used to go and watch my old dad at the driving range at Esher I used to see him there.....Adam Faith wasnt his real name either of course......:)

real name Terry Nelms ~(not sure of surname spelling)
Terence Nelhams-Wright according to Wiki

HatterDon

Quote from: Logicalman on February 28, 2013, 07:01:25 PM

Just for you (and me too - one of their best ever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz2-ukrd2VQ#

and as for OFAH - Why do they call you Dave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRGPpwOw7xE#ws

Two Ronnies -- two comments: First of all, how they managed to do this before a live audience is an amazement to me. Second, you know it's a brilliant skit when you know what the joke will be with 10 seconds to go, but you still laugh your ass off.

Thanks for this. Six minutes of laughing was outstanding cardio for this ol' geezer.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Let's not forget the "blow up" dolls episode especially when the doll inflated in the back of the Reliant Robin

As well as Citizen Smith (aka Wolfie) "power to the People" there was of course one Robbie Box in Big Deal often seen @ CC with Sharon Duce his co-star in the series - both FFC fans 

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on February 28, 2013, 07:15:39 PM
Two Ronnies -- two comments: First of all, how they managed to do this before a live audience is an amazement to me. Second, you know it's a brilliant skit when you know what the joke will be with 10 seconds to go, but you still laugh your ass off.

Part of the joy of watching that show is seeing how much they enjoyed doing it themselves. The amount of times Ronnie Corbett nearly fell over laughing was incredible.

Burt

Their more recent skit around BlacbBerry, Orange, x-box etc. was also brilliant (The One Ronnie, with Harry Enfield):

My Blackberry Is Not Working! - The One Ronnie, Preview - BBC One