more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR made me laugh

Started by epsomraver, April 28, 2010, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

:005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:
A lost sailor has had to be rescued after running out of fuel circling a small island when he thought he was sailing around the UK coast.

The Sheerness lifeboat and the Thames Coastguard assisted the man who ran aground off the Elmley Marshes on the Isle of Sheppey on 19 April.

With only a road map for directions, he set off on the river Medway, from Gillingham, and headed for Southampton.

But the RNLI said the man had "ended up travelling round the Isle of Sheppey".

A spokesman said: "This guy had run aground after running out of fuel. He was attempting to travel around the UK from Medway to Southampton and somehow lost his bearings and ended up travelling around the Isle of Sheppey.

"He didn't have the usual maritime charts or navigation equipment."

The man told the rescue team he had been keeping the coast to his right and had ended up sailing in circles around Sheppey.

The motor cruiser was towed to Queenborough and officers gave him advice on fuel usage, a Thames Coastguard spokesman said.

It is understood the man later attempted to continue his journey to Southampton.

White Noise

People like him really hack me off. There was one bloke a couple of tears ago who our brave coastal rescue people have been called out to something like 30 times. Shame these people don't qualify for the Darwin Awards -

http://www.darwinawards.com/

epsomraver

I love the bit about equipped with a ROAD MAP!, seriously though I think anybody , climbers idiots at sea pot holers etc should have compulsory insurance to cover  rescue costs, motorists injury and rescue  costs are now met by insurance.