News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Mirror Article on QPR. Not looking like a happy camp.

Started by Scrumpy, March 01, 2013, 11:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

Please scroll by if you have no interest in QPR. I accept that some Fulham fans just want to talk about Fulham, so please don't read this - it won't interest you.

Shock Dubai trip revelations: Harry's QPR stars lift lid on astonishing five day booze bender
1 Mar 2013 23:00

"Some players were out, until 3am, 4am, 5am – and then went to training at 8am. It was like a stag party. Some looked at it as if we had a five-day holiday," said one player

Criticism: Players complained about the trip under Harry Redknapp
Paul Gilham

QPR's training break in Dubai last month became a "stag party" according to first-team players.

In claims that will embarrass the club's hierarchy, members of Harry Redknapp's starting line-up told Mirror Sport the week-long camp in the Middle East descended into a "joke".

Manager Redknapp did not stay in the same hotel as the players and his coaching staff.

Early-morning training sessions lasted barely 90 minutes before the squad were left to their own devices, which saw all-night benders for some and huge bar bills run up, according to accounts given by three players to Mirror Sport.

Some players were said to be incapable of training as a result of their partying, resulting in reprimands from Redknapp.

In a series of astonishing and candid admissions, players broke ranks to reveal the Rangers camp is split into dressing-room cliques, with jealousy over the massive wage differences and anger at a perceived lack of application by some of the squad.

With just two wins from 27 Premier League games, Rangers require a near-miracle if they are to avoid relegation.

But what was supposed to be a team-building break instead became a glorified "holiday".

One player admitted: "Dubai was a week when we had the chance to sort out the ­problems. Everybody wanted to do that.

"But we ended up going there for a holiday. It would have been better if we'd stayed here in London.

"We had training very early in the morning. We'd start at 8am and be finished, every day, by 9.30 at the latest.

"It was very warm and after that we would just go out.

"Then in the evening some players were out, until 3am, 4am, 5am – and then went to training at 8am. It was like a stag party.

"Some looked at it as if we had a five-day holiday. It wasn't one or two of us. That's the problem."

Le Royal Meridien: The QPR players stayed here, but not Redknapp and his wife

Redknapp and his wife Sandra stayed in a different hotel from the Royal Meridien in which the squad and coaching staff were housed throughout the week.

Another senior member of the team added: "I've never known anything like what happened in Dubai.

"We had all day to ourselves. That meant shopping, the pool, nightclubs. We were on holiday, it was just a party.

"Some of the bar bills were enormous, huge, in the tens of thousands of pounds for one night.

"Two or three players couldn't train the next day. It was that bad.

"We have to take the blame for what we did. We know that.

"But some of us think that if the manager had been in the same hotel he could have controlled what was going on.

"What sort of club allows a team with 17 points and only two wins all season go and do this?

"It's impossible to survive like that and so this club isn't going to survive."

Redknapp confirmed on Friday night he had stayed in a separate hotel and that the players had only trained for 90 minutes each day.

Quizzed over the specific allegations of drinking, he replied: "If it happened they must have done something I didn't see.

"I don't believe what you're saying. I can't see it."

The claims appeared damning and set to cause outrage among QPR fans.

Three of Redknapp's squad told MirrorFootball:
•How the club's training camp in Dubai last month was treated by some players as an excuse for a week-long bender.
•The scale of the dressing-room schisms.
•And the recriminations at the pitiful display against Manchester United last week.

Giggs scores againt QPR: "It was almost impossible for us to play against United," said a player
John Peters

These were not the normal ranks of the disaffected, players left on the outside, but key members of Redknapp's squad.           

The launching pad was the trip to Dubai, which came 48 hours after a humiliating 4-1 defeat at Swansea left Rangers rooted to the foot of the table.           

Dubai is a regular mid-season retreat for Premier League clubs and Swansea, Sunderland and West Ham were in the Gulf state as Rangers booked into their £300-a-night five star beach base.

It was supposed to be the chance to regroup, work hard, find a way out of trouble. Instead, according to the players who spoke to Mirror Sport, some treated it as little more than a holiday camp.           

One player recounted: "We were in one hotel. Harry and his wife were in a different hotel. They went out before us and came back a day before we did.           

"It felt like a holiday camp, not a training camp, for everyone. We thought we were going there to train.

"Players were out, every night. I can't pretend there wasn't plenty of drinking, because there was.           

"Harry came every morning at 8am, but he just watched and didn't take the sessions.

"Once we had finished, the players were off to the pool and having a drink.

"There wasn't anything organised by anyone. It just happened, naturally.

Le Royal Meridien: The players had free reign at the hotel after 9.30am

"We were all out. Players got sucked into it, we know that, even if we thought the next day, 'How can you spend that much money on a night out?'.

"Looking back, it's hard to believe what we were doing. We know it was unacceptable and unprofessional. It wasn't good behaviour.

"Harry told us he was upset, especially when he saw two or three players who just weren't able to train at all. But that was it."

Redknapp insisted on Friday night his players had "trained harder on this trip than on any trip I've ever been on".

He added: "We worked the maximum, man for man, worked our socks for an hour and a half, every day.           

"No one was ever late. I was the first one on the training ground."           

The Rangers boss said he was perplexed by the drinking claims, adding: "If it happened, they must have done something I didn't see.

"I don't believe what you are saying. I can't see it."           

Another player conceded the week was not ideal given the next game was against Manchester United. QPR lost 2-0 at home.

He admitted: "Given that sort of preparation, after a week like that, it was almost impossible for us to play against United.           

"Fitness-wise, it was a disaster. When we played United, they didn't play – they didn't have to.

"They have some great players, but some aren't 100 per cent fit and have had injuries – and they were running past us like we don't exist. That just shouldn't happen."

That defeat left Rangers seven points adrift of safety, with games running out. According to another player, too many of the squad believe they are already doomed.           

"There's a feeling from some of us that other players don't give a s***, that they're just here for the money," said the player, a regular starter.

"Some are going around saying they can't wait for the end of the season so they can move.           

"When you hear that, you know the trouble you're in – 50 per cent of any team is having the right team spirit.

"The manager is supposed to be the leader, but a lot of us think he's going to leave in the summer as well. If that's the case how is he going to get the players going?"

Redknapp insisted only last week he would stay, even if relegated, but the player added: "There's resentment between the players who have clauses in their contracts which will see them take wage cuts if we go down, and those that haven't.           

"At the moment, the foreign players are in one section and the English players in another. There is not enough bonding, no ­atmosphere where we fight for each other.

"We all feel bad for the chairman and owner, but they don't see what's happening to the club.

Tony Fernandes: 'We all feel bad for the chairman and owner' said one player
Chris Brunskill

"The training ground is like a free-for-all, a million people who shouldn't be there because they are friends of someone or another. There's no structure, things are a mess and I've never known that at a club before.

"You can't hope to survive with that chaos. No one wants to be part of a team relegated in disgrace and winning only two games in the season, but that's the way it's heading."

Redknapp was accused of taking his eye off the training ground ball in January, although, as at Spurs – who he took to three successive top-five finishes – he delegates to his coaches, currently Joe Jordan, Steve Cotterill and Kevin Bond.

"During the January window he was barely there," said one of the players. "A lot of us thought he was concentrating on trying to buy one or two players and forgetting about the 22 already here.

"Our problems aren't going to be solved by one or two players. It's a joke.

"The club is in a mess. How can any club like this hope to be in the best league in the world?

"We all have to take responsibility, but what's happening isn't right."

English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

btings

ron

Hmmmm. When I was working in aviation in the Gulf in the '70's, a Dubai or Sharjah nightstop involved a couple of beers in a hotel, maybe a trip across the creek in a water taxi and a meal in 'downtown' Deira or Dubai.

It wasn't cheap then, but it looks as if the prices have risen in line with the Bourj Arab Hotel....

Must go back there one day..... Looking for sponsors......?

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: ron on March 01, 2013, 11:59:11 PM
Hmmmm. When I was working in aviation in the Gulf in the '70's, a Dubai or Sharjah nightstop involved a couple of beers in a hotel, maybe a trip across the creek in a water taxi and a meal in 'downtown' Deira or Dubai.

It wasn't cheap then, but it looks as if the prices have risen in line with the Bourj Arab Hotel....

Dubai nowadays is just simply amazing, and because of the oil everything is dirt cheap (a can of coke for example is 20p and you can fill a 4x4 for £20). The waterpark 'Wild-Wadi' is great, Ski Dubai is out of this world, I could go on. Also if you're willing to travel, about 90 minutes north of Dubai is 'Dreamland' waterpark, which is practically deserted (apart from the bar, which was full of Germans oddly) so all the rides are walk on maybe 10 minute wait
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Logicalman

Ask TF, apparently he doesn't mind throwing his money away, and perhaps he'll get a discount as it'll be the second time!!  :012:

ron

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on March 02, 2013, 12:02:22 AM

Dubai nowadays is just simply amazing, and because of the oil everything is dirt cheap (a can of coke for example is 20p and you can fill a 4x4 for £20). The waterpark 'Wild-Wadi' is great, Ski Dubai is out of this world, I could go on

I remember petrol being dirt cheap. I lived in Bahrain at the time, and I could fill up my motor bike for the cost of the shrapnel in my pocket. I don't remember ever drinking Coke !

Ah, happy days ! Oh to be young and have things like.... hair.........

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: ron on March 02, 2013, 12:09:01 AM
Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on March 02, 2013, 12:02:22 AM

Dubai nowadays is just simply amazing, and because of the oil everything is dirt cheap (a can of coke for example is 20p and you can fill a 4x4 for £20). The waterpark 'Wild-Wadi' is great, Ski Dubai is out of this world, I could go on

I remember petrol being dirt cheap. I lived in Bahrain at the time, and I could fill up my motor bike for the cost of the shrapnel in my pocket. I don't remember ever drinking Coke !

Ah, happy days ! Oh to be young and have things like.... hair.........

I must admit this is all based on the last time I went which was 2009, so everything could have been completely pissed up the wall at this point
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

ron

Ah well.....

...but seeing as I've now got my nostalgic head on, is there anyone on here who experienced the Gulf in the rapid growth era of the '70's, possibly even taking into account the Anchor Inn down by the Mina Sulman Docks, or the Moon Plaza Hotel in the Juffair district of Manama in Bahrain?

Drake44444

greatest redknapp quote:

"He added: "We worked the maximum, man for man, worked our socks for an hour and a half, every day.       "

Scrumpy

Quote from: Drake44444 on March 02, 2013, 12:44:48 AM
greatest redknapp quote:

"He added: "We worked the maximum, man for man, worked our socks for an hour and a half, every day.       "

I know! After 13 hours at work today I had to chuckle at that! Poor little angels.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Holders

This thread deeply saddens me and I feel absolutely gutted at QPR players and their performances this season = they've won two games.

Come on, that's two too many.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Rupert

Quote from: Holders on March 02, 2013, 04:29:05 AM
This thread deeply saddens me and I feel absolutely gutted at QPR players and their performances this season = they've won two games.

Come on, that's two too many.

I'd argue it is one too many, if they had not beaten us then their record for the season would have been near-enough perfect, considering who their other win was against.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

alfie

I find it absolutely amazing that these so called professional players cannot control there own life, the fact that Redcrap did not stay in same hotel is irrelavent, they are supposed to be grown men and behalf accordingly as a professional sports person.

I do not like QPR but this type of thing should not happen to any club.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Burt

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 02, 2013, 12:56:06 AM
Quote from: Drake44444 on March 02, 2013, 12:44:48 AM
greatest redknapp quote:

I know! After 13 hours at work today I had to chuckle at that! Poor little angels.

There must be better ways to earn £50k+ a week than going to a dump like Dubai, having to work 90 minutes a day, and partying for the rest of it.

Oh, hold on....