watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol didn't get a new contract

Started by M i c K Y x FFC, March 07, 2013, 05:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M i c K Y x FFC

Turns out, due to bad form, he was never given one.

Fulham manager Martin Jol has re-opened talks with Fulham about extending his contract beyond this season, Goal.com can reveal.

The Dutchman first held contract talks with the club last autumn, but negotiations were put on ice as the team's form dipped either side of the New Year.

However, Jol and his representative Mino Raiola recently met with senior officials at the west London club for discussions about his future.

The 57-year-old, whose current deal expires in June, has a clause in his contract that includes an option to extend his Craven Cottage stay until the summer of 2014.

Schalke have targeted Jol to take over as their new manager in the summer after dismissing Huub Stevens in December and appointing former youth-team coach Jens Keller in an interim capacity until the end of the season.

"Jol is now more likely to go into next season as the Fulham manager," a source told Goal.com "There have been new talks about his contract but things are still in limbo. There is a feeling that if he gets a better offer, Jol will go."

As revealed by Goal.com, the former Tottenham, Ajax and Hamburg manager had been at loggerheads with Fulham officials over his contract negotiations and the club's recruitment strategy.

The Premier League club failed to provide Jol with any permanent signings in January despite making late bids to sign Jack Butland and Tom Huddlestone. The only players recruited were loan deals - Emmanuel Frimpong, Urby Emanuelson, Stanislav Manolev and Eyong Enoh.

However, it is understood that there has been a fresh impetus from the Fulham board to tie Jol to the club for another 12 months.

He has steered the Cottagers to 10th in the Premier League - nine points clear of the relegation zone - and they are all but certain to maintain their top-flight status.

Mr-ska

It was announced he did get another year? 

JackyFulham90

Jambo

We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

jmh

Quote from: M i c K Y x FFC on March 07, 2013, 05:13:44 PM
Where does it say anything about "due to bad form"?  The only rationale provided in the article, which of course doesn't have any actual sources in it, is "the former Tottenham, Ajax and Hamburg manager had been at loggerheads with Fulham officials over his contract negotiations and the club's recruitment strategy."

SKSW6

cottage cheese

you should have stopped reading at "goal can reveal"

M i c K Y x FFC

Quote from: jmh on March 07, 2013, 05:52:42 PM
Where does it say anything about "due to bad form"?  The only rationale provided in the article, which of course doesn't have any actual sources in it, is "the former Tottenham, Ajax and Hamburg manager had been at loggerheads with Fulham officials over his contract negotiations and the club's recruitment strategy."

Second paragraph.

jmh

Quote from: M i c K Y x FFC on March 07, 2013, 07:29:37 PM
Quote from: jmh on March 07, 2013, 05:52:42 PM

Second paragraph.
OK, I see what you mean.  Still find your summary a bit misleading, since the quote in the article suggests that what happened was that the parties said "hey, we have more important things to worry about right now" and not that they backed out on extending Jol's contract due to bad form.

In any case, here we are in a perfectly reasonable 10th, so if the concern was midseason form then it would seem that it's been at least somewhat alleviated.

Mr-ska

No wonder Jol cant sign Riether when he doesnt know if he's gonna be the manager.  Id like to get him tied up for at least a season, preferably 2.

RaySmith

The lack of continuity in managers seems a shame. If Jol leaves at the end of this, as seems likely, or next season, all the systems and style of play he has put in place will be, at least partly, scrapped, and a new man's ideas implemented. Seems a waste, and prevents the club pushing onto a higher level.

But I suppose advancing higher than mid table is unrealistic anyway, without much greater investment in players - and mid table in the Prem for over ten years is itself a  great achievement - especially whe you consider it was only a couple of weeks a ago we were all worried about relgation - and are still not safe.

Perhaps the influence of the manager is overrated anyway, and  it is the contnuity that exists with coaching and back room staff, that helps keep Fulham as a Prem club.

How much power  does the  manager have at Fulham? - when his hands are tied about what players he can bring in. Not just fulham, of course, but most Prem clubs - and some Prem clubs are more restricted than fulham.

M i c K Y x FFC

Quote from: Mr-ska on March 07, 2013, 11:53:01 PM
No wonder Jol cant sign Riether when he doesnt know if he's gonna be the manager.  Id like to get him tied up for at least a season, preferably 2.

I agree very much so. He has been a good manager for us. Additionally, he is a big name, which will attract players to come to the club.

Holders

Continuity is the thing, linked to style of play, playing staff and common perception of the strategy.

The most consistently successful clubs have that continuity - e.g. Man U, Everton (success on a shoestring).  Even Arsenal have had continuity of their own kind, without winning anything recently. Compare that with C*****a's turbulence.

We need a long-term manager of good standing who can attract players on our budget.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

grandad

I agree that there should be a fairly long contract offered to Jol. At least 3 but no more than 5 with options to extend. It can take all of this to build a structure that will move us upwards & forwards. Stability is what it´s about. One year contracts are no good for either party.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Berserker

I can see why the club and Jol didn't sort the contract out a couple of months ago,  things looked a bit iffy around that time. Could have been either sides not keen to sign, the club as worried about Jol and his methods, or Jol because he felt he wasn't given the funds required in the transfer window.  We don't really know, or it could have been just there was too much other stuff to think about.  I agree stability would be good though, this season hasn't been brilliant
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

GodfatherJol

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2012/november/08/jol-on-contracts

(from November) "We talk to each other every day and maybe a month ago the decision was made." Does that not indicate that a new deal was all but signed at that point?

Mr-ska

Quote from: GodfatherJol on March 08, 2013, 04:49:42 PM

(from November) "We talk to each other every day and maybe a month ago the decision was made." Does that not indicate that a new deal was all but signed at that point?
I hope so.. There's a lot of business that needs to be tied up..  turning some of the loan signings into permenant moves. If Jol is going to do this business, surely it must be done on how HE sees his Fulham side looking next season

ron

Quote from: RaySmith on March 08, 2013, 03:26:38 AM

Perhaps the influence of the manager is overrated anyway, and  it is the contnuity that exists with coaching and back room staff, that helps keep Fulham as a Prem club.

Hence we were discussing the departure of Ray Lewington at the time "casting a shadow over the throne" as they say.

I think there's a very great deal in that.

HatterDon

Quote from: GodfatherJol on March 08, 2013, 04:49:42 PM

"all but signed" a phrase that is translated literally as "not signed."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel