https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well you don't see this too often. Match abandoned as too many players sent off

Started by Burt, March 10, 2013, 08:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Ryman Premier League drama:
Game abandoned as five sent off

A Ryman Premier League game between Wingate & Finchley and Thurrock has been abandoned after five players from the home side were shown red cards.

Visitors Thurrock had a 1-0 lead over their relegation rivals when the match was called off in the 85th minute.

The Football Association rules state that matches cannot continue if one side has only six players.

A spokesman for the FA said it would have to wait for the referee's report before deciding whether to take action.

There will be a further discussion to decide whether the match will be replayed or whether Thurrock will be awarded the win.

"It's fair to say it wasn't a particularly good spectacle and it was just very strange," Thurrock midfielder Ben Smith told BBC Sport.

"If you were watching it, there weren't really any bad tackles. Initially I saw sympathy for them but then they were masters of their own downfall.

"They hardly had any players and we were 1-0 up so you'd like to think we'd have seen out the last five minutes."

Before Sunday's match, Thurrock stood second bottom in the league on 24 points while Wingate & Finchley are 18th but just seven points ahead.

In 2002, Sheffield United's first division match against West Bromwich Albion was abandoned on 82 minutes after the Blades had three players sent off and a further two injured, leaving the home side with only six players left on the field.

Mr-ska

CanadianCottager

With half-decent refereeing this is how all of Stoke City's games would end

jarv

I was at craven cottage a few years ago and portsmouth had 2 players sent off. Anyone know if Fulham have been involved in a game where more that 2 were tossed (from same team).

HatterDon

Quote from: CanadianCottager on March 12, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

which is precisely why they get away with on-field mayhem. The league basically informed its refs to go lightly on Stoke their first season so they wouldn't finish most of their matches with 10 players. It was to make the league "more competitive." I think they figured that Stoke wouldn't last anyhow, so ... .

And now we're stuck with it.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

CanadianCottager

Quote from: HatterDon on March 13, 2013, 03:22:29 PM
Quote from: CanadianCottager on March 12, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

which is precisely why they get away with on-field mayhem. The league basically informed its refs to go lightly on Stoke their first season so they wouldn't finish most of their matches with 10 players. It was to make the league "more competitive." I think they figured that Stoke wouldn't last anyhow, so ... .

And now we're stuck with it.
Not terribly surprising unfortunately. And to think Pulis is constantly moaning about teams diving against them, its hard enough to hit the ground from all the real cheap shots Robert Huth and Shawcross throw, I don't think anyone has the time to bother inventing fake ones.

Gozorich

Great story! I have often wondered if it could be used as a tactic when losing heavily - get a couple sent off and then more injured than you have subs. I remember in the old Southern Olympian League playing against a team which started - and finished - with 8 players. Northmet House I think they were called. Naturally I scored a hat trick. :wine: