watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Damien Duff is quite the Businessman

Started by Baider, March 11, 2013, 11:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baider

Just been looking through 'The Goal Rich List' on goal.com and came across Duff ranked at #39, with an annual salary of £18.5million.

'His company Lightzest showed a 'net worth' of £1.1m as of July 2011, while his investments have included properties in London, Ireland, Newcastle and a series of beachfront properties in the Caribbean. Duff's off-field earnings include a sponsorship deal with Lucozade.

With one eye on a future after hanging up his boots, Duff has teamed up with Ireland rugby union legend Brian O'Driscoll to invest in a sports management company called IKON, with the pair acting as mentors to clients.'

Who knew?!

http://www.goal.com/en/slideshow/2205/12/title/the-goal-rich-list-2013

Wingnut

Smart lad, Damien. I know Keith Andrews, used to play for West Brom at Bolton now and he plays midfield for the Rep. of Ireland, has a clothing label of his own, Chess London iirc. Doing very well for himself. These lads will do fine when they retire. The lads who have football and nothing else really struggle.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

epsomraver

Quote from: Wingnut on March 11, 2013, 08:16:25 PM
Smart lad, Damien. I know Keith Andrews, used to play for West Brom at Bolton now and he plays midfield for the Rep. of Ireland, has a clothing label of his own, Chess London iirc. Doing very well for himself. These lads will do fine when they retire. The lads who have football and nothing else really struggle.

I wouldn't mind struggling on £40 k a week fp.gif

DukeTyrion

Funny thing is, I read a report the other day about 3 out of 5 Football players being Bankrupt within 5 years of giving up football.

It's nice to know that Duff is one of the ones with his head screwed on, who is planning for the future beyond football.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: DukeTyrion on March 12, 2013, 10:48:19 AM
Funny thing is, I read a report the other day about 3 out of 5 Football players being Bankrupt within 5 years of giving up football.

I read that but it simply can't be true.

HatterDon

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 12, 2013, 11:43:07 AM
Quote from: DukeTyrion on March 12, 2013, 10:48:19 AM

I read that but it simply can't be true.

why not? If anything, I think the number is low. Not everyone retires after 12 years in the Premier League, you know.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TonyGilroy

The stat was for Premier League players.

Gordon Taylor says the figure's wrong and it's more like 10% to 20% which still seems way too high to me.

60% means that 13 of our current first team squad should be bankrupt within 5 years of retirement.

Got to be bollox.

filham

So good to hear about a star player being sensible instead of getting into all kinds of trouble.

You never see Duff splashed across the front pages for the wrong reasons.

He is also a great player, my favourite.

LukeJennings

Doesn't Ruiz have his own sports brand too?
Twitter; @lukealele

My YouTube channel - http://m.youtube.com/user/LukeJennings9

Please subscribe!

Matt Inglis

The way Duffers is going I can't see him ever retiring.
There's only one Emma's burger stand.

DukeTyrion

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 12, 2013, 06:56:01 PM

Gordon Taylor says the figure's wrong and it's more like 10% to 20% which still seems way too high to me.

60% means that 13 of our current first team squad should be bankrupt within 5 years of retirement.

Got to be bollox.

Why.

Many people who earn a lot of money in a short space of time get used to a lifestyle that cannot possibly continue.

Another issue is that people often spend what they earn, even though they earn gross of tax. This often means when the tax bill finally arrives they simply haven't got the money set aside for it and go bankrupt.

These are kids that haven't been used to having to count the pennies, they go out to expensive restaurants and pick up expensive girlfriends, who are eager to spend all their money.

SP

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 12, 2013, 06:56:01 PM

Got to be bollox.

Ah, Gordon Taylor, he must struggle financially, wasn't it reported he earns £750K a year - how can they justify anything like that sum?

MOR :

Quote from: LukeJennings on March 12, 2013, 07:10:56 PM
Doesn't Ruiz have his own sports brand too?

Bryan Ruiz lauched his own clothing label in Costa Rica last year.
Ruiz enjoys a huge profile in Central America and his clothing line carries his name.
The Ruiz label was first sold across Costa Rica with plans to expand into foreign markets.
So he'll be on his way to catching up with Duff...