more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Reading need a manager

Started by cebu, March 11, 2013, 06:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cebu

horse1031

had to do something i guess...  McDermott is a nice guy which is too bad.

daib0

Brian McDermott departs Reading

Finally came ... perhaps still in the job so long out of loyalty by the Russian president ... but was it too late to save the Royals? What's your opinion on a change of manager at the taoil end of the season?

Quotes/Opinions from the Media:

Inside Football
It remains to be seen who Reading will bring in, but the new manager will have precious little time to guide the Royals to safety

Irish Examiner
He guided Reading back to the top flight last season for only the second time in their history but has been relieved of his duties as the club look to turn around their form in time to secure Premier League survival.

San Francisco Chronicle
McDermott had been in charge since 2009 and took Reading back into the Premier League. Reading says "in our current situation, owner Anton Zingarevich felt that a change was necessary."

Daily Express
The managerial merry-go round had already already seen casualties this season in the Premier League with Mark Hughes, Roberto Di Matteo and Nigel Adkins being given the chop. And McDermott, who for some have felt the writing has been on the wall for him, was given his P45 after a poor sequence of results.

Reading Evening Post
Brian McDermott has been sacked by Reading FC with Alan Curbishley the bookmakers' favourite to replace him.

Joe.ie
The powers that be at Reading have decided that they need a new man to help them beat the drop after parting company with Brian McDermott today. McDermott wasn't known to be in danger of losing his job with the Royals, but speculation about his future at the club began to increase earlier today when the odds of him losing his job plummeted and betting was eventually suspended as his fate became clear.

The Independent
The decision, with just nine games of the season remaining, will come as a surprise. Despite Reading's difficulty on the pitch following their return to the Premier League there has been a well publicised good team-spirit at the club. And with so few games of the season remaining, any incoming manager will struggle to make a swift enough impact.

A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

Patrick

Roberto De Matteo....if they can get him....

bucksfulham

Paolo Di Canio apparently was there on Saturday. Curbishley probably in the frame as well.

daib0

Quote from: Patrick on March 11, 2013, 06:28:25 PM
Roberto De Matteo....if they can get him....

controversial figure, quite a lot of opposition to him coming on our forum at moment...
A friendly Reading FC fan! Job: CELLO MAN - see extensive web www.johnstone-music.com

aFFCn_Fan

Is saving Reading from relegation too 'ambitious' a project for Leslie?
@hincharoo

JackyFulham90

Mark Hughes will end up at Reading

A Humble Man

It will just be one of the useless unemployed managers about now.  Mind you McDermott never look or sounded like a manager.  He looked more like a middle ranking civil servant with a dreary wife.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

daib0

Quote from: A Humble Man on March 11, 2013, 07:38:17 PM
It will just be one of the useless unemployed managers about now.  Mind you McDermott never look or sounded like a manager.  He looked more like a middle ranking civil servant with a dreary wife.

It was a 'desperado' move, but Zingarevich had a five year plan. Probably sounds crazy to an established team like yourselves, but included increasing the stadium from 24,160 to 38,000, a new training ground + match pitch for reserves/academy, and being on the fringes on Europe in 5 years. I don't think relegation at all entered his equations, and I believe he is secretly now wishing he made this move earlier. Yet Brian IS much loved, so it was very delicate all the way.

aFFCn_Fan

Quote from: daib0 on March 11, 2013, 07:43:41 PM
Quote from: A Humble Man on March 11, 2013, 07:38:17 PM

It was a 'desperado' move, but Zingarevich had a five year plan. Probably sounds crazy to an established team like yourselves, but included increasing the stadium from 24,160 to 38,000, a new training ground + match pitch for reserves/academy, and being on the fringes on Europe in 5 years. I don't think relegation at all entered his equations, and I believe he is secretly now wishing he made this move earlier. Yet Brian IS much loved, so it was very delicate all the way.

Daib0, do you think it will make a difference? Can you see Reading getting out of the current pickle? Who do you want as manager and can they make a difference at this stage in the season?
@hincharoo

Berserker

My West Ham work colleague is hoping they get Di Canio instead of Sam. 
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

daib0

It's Di Canio or Adkins from the Royals fans tonight, but personally Di Canio scares me a bit ..

jarv

scary? ever since he pushed that ref over. 064.gif

Artful Dodger

We got rid of Tigana with a few games left (was it 3?) and Coleman with 5 and stayed up both times, although I don't think we were actually in the relegation zone at the time of either sacking. Sometimes, the chairman just has to feel like he is doing something.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Burt

This followed hard on the heels of him winning the Premier League Manager of the month award for January.

Got to feel sorry for him. But I guess when you are losing against the teams around you (Wigan, Villa) then something has to give.

Dangerous move, doing it so close to season's end though.

domprague

They spent very little last summer. That might have had something to do with it...
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

daib0

Basically ... it was definitely on the cards early December, then for some strange reason we went on a run, now we see it was a 'lucky fluky run', but that covered our eyes up to the naked truth. Now last four of five games it's gone wrong, and heck we realize that there are less than a dozen games left! Panic button it was ..

Oakeshott

daib0

Back in the late 1920s and early 1930s my grandfather used to be the Chairman of Reading, so they've always been my second team. I hope it works out, though it looks doubtful.

I would go for Adkins very time over DC - and indeed over any other currently unemployed manager of whom I can think. He strikes me as having as good a chance as any of keeping you up, because he is a motivator and at this stage that is principally what is needed. And if you go down he has a very good chance of getting you back up as he knows what is required. (In fact, if Jol goes at the end of the season, as I very much hope, Adkins would be second only to Danny Murphy as my choice to replace him, so maybe on reflection I hope you appoint DC!)

I'm glad Fulham don't have a Russian owner!  

domprague

Was the Reading owner Russian? He waited until almost the end of the season. I'll get my coat.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.