watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR How Do You Get Rid Of Window 8 At Low Cost

Started by A Humble Man, March 13, 2013, 11:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Humble Man

If you have not got a touch screen computer it is a menace.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

The Equalizer

With great difficulty. Although, it is possible to configure Windows 8 in such a way that it isn't so troublesome.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MJG

Im dreading having to get a new laptop this year with 8 installed on it.
Bring back Windows 3.1

A Humble Man

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 13, 2013, 12:06:51 PM
With great difficulty. Although, it is possible to configure Windows 8 in such a way that it isn't so troublesome.

Tell me more PLEASE.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

The Equalizer

How IT savvy are you?

The main method would be to go to the Desktop, then you can create a series of shortcut menus to your favourite applications on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. It can be set up like the old Windows Start Menu, so you click on a button in the bottom left of the screen and it brings up the menu.

Firstly, in Windows Explorer, click on 'Organise', and then 'Folders and Search Options'. Click on 'View', then choose 'Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives'. Then OK out of that window.

Go to the Desktop, then right click on the task bar at the bottom of the Desktop screen, then go to 'Toolbars' and 'New Toolbar'. Browse to the following path:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - then select the 'Programs' folder and click the 'Select Folder' button. This will then create a start menu for you.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Rupert

Quote from: A Humble Man on March 13, 2013, 11:57:47 AM

Put a brick through it.  :Get Coat gif:
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Vinnieffc

What's wrong with Windows 8 ? Is it Vista in disguise ? I'm on Win7 at the moment, so do I take it that it's not worth upgrading ? So many questions  :49:

The Equalizer

Quote from: Vinnieffc on March 13, 2013, 01:57:23 PM
What's wrong with Windows 8 ? Is it Vista in disguise ? I'm on Win7 at the moment, so do I take it that it's not worth upgrading ? So many questions  :49:

It's like Windows 7, but because it is tablet friendly, there are odd looking screens in place of the old Start Button, and it takes about 20 minutes to work out where the 'Shut Down' button is.

FFC1987

For gaming purposes, I still stick to XP as much as possible but run on windows 7 64 bit. XP is much more user friendly in a gaming aspect imo.

The Equalizer

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 13, 2013, 02:04:44 PM
For gaming purposes, I still stick to XP as much as possible but run on windows 7 64 bit. XP is much more user friendly in a gaming aspect imo.

Hmm.... I have had zero problems running World of Warcraft, Lord of The Rings Online, Sim City, Team Fortress or any of a 100 others on a Windows 7 partition on a MacBook Pro.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 13, 2013, 02:01:59 PM
Quote from: Vinnieffc on March 13, 2013, 01:57:23 PM

It's like Windows 7, but because it is tablet friendly, there are odd looking screens in place of the old Start Button, and it takes about 20 minutes to work out where the 'Shut Down' button is.

Cheers EQ.. So for my general laptop use I guess I'll stick with Win7 for now.. Thanks for the advice  :54:

God The Mechanic

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 13, 2013, 02:08:59 PM

Hmm.... I have had zero problems running World of Warcraft, Lord of The Rings Online, Sim City, Team Fortress or any of a 100 others on a Windows 7 partition on a MacBook Pro.

Aaaaah, Warcrack.  Used to seriously love that game.

Been using Windows 8 for a few months now and not had any major issues with it, yeah it took a bit of time to get used to but most new things do.

FFC1987

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 13, 2013, 02:08:59 PM

hmmmm Of course you wouldn't of on some of those games, I prefer some of the older ones that aren't regulary patched etc, some of those games you mentioned you pay to play online right....of course there shouldn't be any issues. But if you have a hankering to play some classics like myself you have issues mexcept on XP again imo.

HatterDon

Can't you just master it by acting superior to it?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TheDon

Quote from: The Equalizer on March 13, 2013, 01:18:35 PM
How IT savvy are you?

The main method would be to go to the Desktop, then you can create a series of shortcut menus to your favourite applications on the task bar at the bottom of the screen. It can be set up like the old Windows Start Menu, so you click on a button in the bottom left of the screen and it brings up the menu.

Firstly, in Windows Explorer, click on 'Organise', and then 'Folders and Search Options'. Click on 'View', then choose 'Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives'. Then OK out of that window.

Go to the Desktop, then right click on the task bar at the bottom of the Desktop screen, then go to 'Toolbars' and 'New Toolbar'. Browse to the following path:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu - then select the 'Programs' folder and click the 'Select Folder' button. This will then create a start menu for you.

oh yeah, got that  :doh:

A Humble Man

Quote from: HatterDon on March 13, 2013, 03:25:40 PM

Can't you just master it by acting superior to it?

You can shout at computer but they do not respond to that or to bullying or feelings of superiority.
We Are Fulham, Believe.