more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (15/03/13)

Started by White Noise, March 15, 2013, 09:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/match/81137/tottenham-vs-fulham/preview

Tottenham - Fulham Preview: Spurs aim to bounce back from first defeat in 13 games

The hosts have been in supern form in the league since the turn of the year, but will be keen to keep their chase for Champions League qualification on track with all three points

By James McManus

PROBABLE LINEUPS

TOTTENHAM

Lloris
Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto 
Lennon, Parker, Dembele, Bale 
Holtby
Defoe

FULHAM

Schwarzer
Riether, Hangeland, Senderos, Riise
Dejagah, Sidwell, Karagounis, Duff
Ruiz
Berbatov

Emmanuel Adebayor (ankle) and Aaron Lennon (hamstring) missed the loss to Liverpool last time out but both featured in the 4-1 loss to Inter in the Europa League last 16 on Thursday so are expected to make Saturday's matchday squad.

Tom Huddlestone (knee) made the bench at Anfield and San Siro, but did not make the pitch as he continues his return to first-team action, while Sandro (knee) remains a long-term casualty.

Meanwhile, Fulham manager Martin Jol has a near-fully fit squad to choose from for the trip to White Hart Lane, with only Mahamdou Diarra (knee) definitely missing out while Eyong Enoh and Kerim Frei are slowly returning to match fitness.

DID YOU KNOW?

•Tottenham's defeat away at Liverpool was their first in 13 games in the Premier League.
•Andre Villas-Boas' side have scored just 22 times in front of their own fans in the league all season.
•But have only failed to find the back of the net on three separate occasions this term, with only league leaders Manchester United boasting a better record with two.
•The reverse fixture between the two clubs at Craven Cottage back in December ended 3-0 to Tottenham, with Jermain Defoe (pictured right) grabbing a double and Sandro completing the rout.
•The game will see Dimitar Berbatov, Mousa Dembele and possibly Clint Dempsey feature against their former clubs, while Martin Jol managed Tottenham for three years between 2004-07.
•Fulham have picked up just 12 of their 33 points on their travels this season.
•Only four teams in the have conceded more goals on the road than Fulham's tally of 27.
•Fulham have won none of their last eight Premier League matches against Tottenham, losing the last six in a row

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/03/14/3825317/-

Riise hoping Fulham can take advantage of a tired Tottenham

By Al Hain-Cole

14 Mar 2013 19:37:00

The Norway international is expecting a difficult game at White Hart Lane on Sunday but thinks that Spurs' heavy recent schedule in the Europa League could make them vulnerable

Fulham defender John Arne Riise believes that Tottenham's busy schedule may give his side the advantage when they go head-to-head on Sunday.

The Premier League clash will be Spurs' fourth game in just 11 days, while the Cottagers have not played a competitive match since March 2 due to their early elimination from the FA Cup.

Riise feels that this extra freshness could stand Martin Jol's men in good stead on Sunday, when they try to become the first team to win at White Hart Lane in 14 matches.

"It's one of the toughest matches because of the way they play and they're in good shape," the Norwegian told Fulham's official website, "but they have a heavy schedule right now as they're playing in the Europa League so hopefully they'll be a bit tired."

Nevertheless, the 32-year-old is not expecting an easy afternoon, as he prepares to face a side boasting two of the most dangerous wingers in the league, as well as a couple of familiar faces.

"They still have one of the best players in the league at the moment in Gareth Bale," he continued. "He can't stop scoring and he's a fantastic person as well. They've got Aaron Lennon on the other side too and good players all over the pitch.

"It will be nice to see Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey again but it will be a very tough game for us. That's the type of game we'll go into to try and get at least a point."

The Cottagers will be looking to gain revenge for the 3-0 home defeat that their London rivals inflicted upon them earlier on in the season.

"We should have won that game but somehow lost," Riise recalled, "but every game has its own life and, as I said, they have a busy schedule, whereas we'll have had a free weekend.

"We'll train well and prepare our best for it and we look forward to it. It's a derby and anything can happen."

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/14/u18s-highlights

Reading U18s 3 Fulham U18s 1

Thursday 14 March 2013 17:37

The young Whites' six-match winning streak was brought to a halt at the hands of Reading on Tuesday. See the goals here.

Reading 3-1 Fulham - Barclays U18 Premier League

Fulham Under-18s slipped to their first defeat of the Barclays Under-18 Premier League Elite Group phase on Wednesday following a 3-1 loss at Reading.

Steve Wigley's side entered the game on the back of six straight victories, with a 3-1 home defeat of Reading included. However, the Royals had also been enjoying their own good form with two consecutive wins.

After a relatively even start, Fulham almost opened the scoring on 10 minutes, with the Reading goalkeeper, Dan Lincoln, making a stunning stop to keep out Moussa Dembele, who had claimed a hat-trick in the previous fixture between the two.

Muamer Tankovic was also denied with an equally impressive save, as again Fulham threatened to break the deadlock early on. Tankovic did have the ball in the net after 25 minutes, but the Swedish youngster's strike was ruled out for offside.

Moments later, it was Reading that made the difference, with Dominic Hyam smashing in a volley following a knock-down from a corner.

And on the stroke of half-time, Sean Long doubled his side's lead with a headed effort following a teasing free-kick from the right.

Dan Lincoln in the Reading goal made a fabulous sprawling save to deny Fulham minutes into the second-half after one of his defenders had misjudged a headed pass. He then kept out Dembele from the edge of the box.

The Whites did pull a goal back, though, with Dembele and Tankovic combining smartly before the latter finished with a cool side-footed effort.

With the deficit halved, Fulham looked for an equaliser with Emerson Hyndman trying his luck from distance, and Cameron Burgess (pictured) going agonisingly close with one stooping header.

But Reading's two-goal advantage was restored when Uche Ikpeazu added a third following a powerful header with minutes remaining.

"It wasn't our best performance of the season," admitted Academy Director Huw Jennings to fulhamfc.com. "Reading play with a particular style and we struggled with that. To be fair to them [Reading], they did it well. For me, we didn't really create enough and when we did get opportunities, we just didn't take them.

"We conceded three goals from three set-pieces and, quite frankly, that just isn't good enough. Our good run came to an end, but the boys will regroup and look to the next match which is a trip to Manchester United on Saturday.

"They'll want to bounce back and show what they are capable of, so it's a game we're all looking forward too."

Fulham 18s: Oberschmidt; Donnelly, O'Reilly, Burgess, Richards (Evans 60); Roberts, Sambou, Hyndman, O'Halloran (Williams 60); Tankovic; Dembele

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/14/u21s-0-1-blackburn

Fulham U21s 0-1 Blackburn Rovers U21s

Thursday 14 March 2013 15:45

Fulham Under-21s' winning streak came to an end against Blackburn Rovers at Motspur Park on Thursday afternoon.

Jordan Slew's second-half header proved to be the pivotal moment in the match as Rovers returned to Lancashire with all three points.

Fulham enjoyed the better chances in the first half, with Chris David, in particular, making a nuisance of himself, but the lack of a cutting edge would prove decisive.

Blackburn edged proceedings in the second half and substitute Osayamen Osawe should have added to their tally for the afternoon, although Whites substitute Dino Islamovic twice went close to finding an equaliser in the closing stages.

Fulham started the match brightly as David fired a warning shot over the bar with less than 40 seconds on the clock. Cauley Woodrow had intercepted a misplaced Blackburn header before playing in Kerim Frei who found the Dutchman. David then eluded two defenders by dropping his shoulder before hitting a fierce effort that fizzed a yard over the crossbar.

With 10 minutes on the clock, the Whites really should have taken the lead. First, Woodrow fired too close to the keeper when he went one-on-one, before David saw an excellent curling shot tipped just over for a corner.

All the chances were falling Fulham's way and Alex Smith was next to try his luck on quarter of an hour, but glanced his header wide after meeting Josh Passley's cross.

John O'Sullivan stung Neil Etheridge's palms moments later but the Philippines number one was never unduly troubled, before David again forced Matthew Urwin into a good save at the other end. The Dutchman was causing the Rovers backline all manner of problems with his quick feet and pace.

Anton Forrester worked Etheridge on the half-hour mark having eluded the attentions of Jack Grimmer, but the Fulham stopper managed to claim his low effort at the second attempt.

A good cross a minute later from Sean Kavanagh saw the ball fall to Boumesca Tue Na Bangna at the far post, but the winger could only place his shot against the foot of the woodwork and behind for a goal-kick.

The tempo of the match had begun to slow and it wasn't until the 45th minute that either side went close again, with Passley heading into the keeper's arms after meeting Smith's free-kick. Tom Paul then volleyed over at the other end as the match entered first half stoppage time.

The second half begun slowly but Etheridge had to be alert on 52 minutes to palm Osawe's cross-shot away for a corner.

A delightful chipped through ball from Frei found Na Bangna on 62 minutes but a Blackburn defender did well to recover and block the subsequent shot. Smith then went close with a swerving free-kick from 20 yards following a foul on David.

Blackburn took the lead a minute later, though, when Slew headed in unmarked from Micah Evans' cross. It was a soft goal to concede and one that Kit Symons will be none too happy about.

Symons then looked to shake things up a bit with 20 minutes remaining, as Charles Banya replaced Na Bangna.

Osawe nearly doubled Blackburn's advantage on 72 minutes as he went one-on-one with Etheridge having flicked the ball over Grimmer, but Stephen Arthurworrey made a terrific recovery as he came from nowhere to dispossess the striker before he could get his shot away.

Symons made a double change shortly after as David and Frei made way for Omri Altman and Dino Islamovic, and the big Swede came close to an equaliser with his first touch on 79 minutes. Grimmer headed back across goal to Arthurworrey following a Fulham corner, and the towering centre-back laid it off to Islamovic whose thunderous first-time strike was expertly saved by Urwin. Not only did the Rovers custodian keep the ball out, he held it too.

Osawe was proving to be a real thorn in Fulham's side and he burst through on 86 minutes but scooped his shot well over the bar from close range.

Islamovic again went close in stoppage time with a rasping drive from 25 yards which man-of-the-match Urwin turned over for a corner. Grimmer headed wide from the subsequent set-piece in what turned out to be the last action of the game as Rovers gained their revenge for the defeat by Fulham at Ewood Park six days ago.

Fulham: 1. Etheridge, 2. Passley, 3. Kavanagh, 4. Vigen Christensen, 5. Arthurworrey, 6. Grimmer, 7. Na Bangna (17. Banya), 8. Smith (c), 9. Woodrow, 10. David (16. Islamovic), 11. Frei (15. Altman)

Subs (not used): 12. Joronen, 14. Minkwitz

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/15/head-to-head

Head-To-Head

Friday 15 March 2013 10:00

After more than a fortnight without a match, Fulham are back in action on Sunday as we travel across London to face Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane (3pm).

It's a daunting prospect for the Whites as Spurs have proved to be a fearsome outfit this season, as is evident by their current occupancy of third place in the Barclays Premier League table.

While Fulham have had a prolonged break, Tottenham have seen the fixtures come thick and fast in recent weeks, playing three times since Martin Jol's side drew 2-2 with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light at the beginning of March.

The Lane has hardly been the most prosperous of grounds for Fulham over the years, with our sole Premier League victory coming almost a decade ago when Spurs fan Barry Hayles put his boyhood team to the sword with two goals and an assist in a comprehensive 3-0 victory.

The opposition

Spurs' bid to become London's most formidable team could become a reality in the 2012/13 campaign, as they currently sit two points ahead of Chelsea and seven ahead of fierce rivals Arsenal, although they have played a game more than both sides.

Andre Villas-Boas' reign didn't get off to a great start as the Lilywhites lost their opening game of the season to Newcastle United, although that proved to be their only defeat throughout the opening two months of the campaign.

Barring a blip in November where they lost three consecutive league matches, Spurs have been fearsomely consistent this term. They have lost just twice in their last 17 Premier League outings, winning 11 of them – although one of those defeats was in their last game, going down 3-2 to Liverpool at Anfield.

Much has been made of Gareth Bale's progress this season, but Spurs are far from a one-man team. Villas-Boas reinforced his squad well in the summer with the likes of Hugo Lloris, Jan Vertonghen, Mousa Dembélé and Gylfi Sigurdsson, and the side from North London can now boast enviable strength in depth in almost every department.

Last time out

Fulham 0-3 Tottenham Hotspur 01.12.2012

The scoreline suggests that Spurs left the Cottage having convincingly swept the Whites aside, but that is far from the truth.

After a goalless first half in which the better chances fell the way of the home side – Lloris saved well from Mladen Petrić and Kerim Frei should have hit the target with a decent chance – Tottenham took the lead completely out of the blue on 55 minutes. Sandro didn't seem to have much on, so he tried his luck from 35 yards. His shot bent and dipped in the air, but it was still astonishing to see it find the back of the net having eluded Mark Schwarzer.

Ashkan Dejagah came close to equalising with a header 10 minutes later, but it was Spurs who grabbed the game's crucial second goal. Sigurdsson danced his way into the area before setting Jermain Defoe up with a chance that the England man rarely misses.

And Tottenham showed their clinical edge once again five minutes later to make the points safe. Former Fulham forward Clint Dempsey showed the attacking drive that Craven Cottage has seen time and again over the years as he galloped forward before finding Defoe who opened his body up to pass the ball beyond Schwarzer.

Players to watch

Gareth Bale: The Welshman has enjoyed good seasons before, but nothing can compare to what he has achieved so far during 2012/13. A powerful runner with nimble footwork and a rocket of a shot, many have dubbed him the third-greatest player in world football at the moment. His tally of 25 goals in all competitions for club and country demonstrates how dangerous he has been this season.

Mousa Dembélé: Tottenham fans quickly learnt what Fulham supporters already knew about Dembélé, as the Belgium international arrived at White Hart Lane in August as arguably one of the most underrated players in the league. Strong in the tackle and difficult to shrug off the ball, Dembélé also boasts one of the best pass accuracy percentages in the top flight.

Aaron Lennon: Last weekend's defeat to Liverpool was the first Premier League match that Lennon has missed this season, such has been his importance to the Spurs cause. Fans believe they are currently seeing the tricky winger hit his prime, as he continues to weigh in with a number of goals and assists from the right-wing slot that he can now call his own.

Bet Butler match odds

Unsurprisingly, third-placed Spurs go into the match as significant favourites, with our betting partner Bet Butler pricing them at 1.53, with Fulham available as outsiders at 7.00. However, we have won or drawn eight of our 14 away games this season and the stalemate is available at 4.20.

If you fancy the game to be a goal-fest, you can get over 3.5 goals for 2.62, or both teams to score at 1.73. Dimitar Berbatov returns to White Hart Lane for the first time as a Fulham player and is available at 10.0 to open the scoring, with Bryan Ruiz at 13.0 and Steve Sidwell at 34.0.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/14/the-ex-files

The Ex-Files

Thursday 14 March 2013 17:00

Kasey Keller was close to hanging up his gloves for good when the chance to join Fulham came about, and a former Whites ace was to play his part in the move.

Then aged 37, the American goalkeeper, who had previously starred in England with Millwall, Leicester City and Fulham's opponents on Sunday, Tottenham Hotspur, joined the Whites from German side Borussia Monchengladbach in August 2007.

Just a few days later, Keller, who had also had a brief stint at Southampton, made his Whites debut as Fulham lost 2-1 at Aston Villa. He would spend just one season at the Club – but it was to be a pretty eventful campaign for the shot-stopper.

"It was very funny as I was actually going to retire," Keller told the official website. "I was packing up the house in Germany ready to move back to the States and Brian McBride, who was still at Fulham then, asked whether I'd be interested in joining him there.

"He told me that he had to go into training the following day to figure out what the next stage was with his recovery as he'd injured his knee, and that he was going to tell the Club that I'd be interested in coming. So I said, 'okay, do whatever you want Brian!' I'd had several dealings with Dave Beasant over the years and next thing I know it's about 10am German time the following morning and I get a call from Dave asking about my situation.

"Then about an hour later I get a call from Lawrie Sanchez, and then a couple of hours later I had an offer and the next day I got a flight and spent a couple days sorting the paperwork. Then I trained on the Friday and played against Aston Villa on the Saturday! It was a bit of a wild situation!"

Keller, though, had played just four games for the Whites when he tore his bicep tendon. He didn't return to First Team action until March 2008 but was to play a key role in Fulham's run-in as the Whites survived relegation against all the odds.

Recalling the injury, he said: "It was extremely frustrating. I'd gone so many years throughout my career without suffering injuries and basically I snapped a bicep tendon. I think we'd just had a clean sheet at Chelsea and things were going really well and then, because I've never really had these kinds of setbacks, I wasn't sure how to deal with it. I just said that I'll get fit and come back and go from there. Then obviously Lawrie went out and Roy Hodgson came in and I was able to come back into the Team and prove my worth."

Keller returned to the starting XI in a 1-1 draw at Blackburn Rovers and would be named between the sticks as the Whites came back from the brink to beat the drop thanks to memorable wins over Reading, Manchester City, Birmingham City and, of course, Portsmouth.

"There was obviously some tense situations throughout the locker room and on the practice field – nobody wants to be relegated and be in that kind of situation," he said. "But then we won away at Reading and that kind of got things started.

"Then we had that crazy game at Man City and things just kind of started to take on a life of their own. We won at home against Birmingham in our second to last game of the season and that took us out of the relegation zone. A few of us went out to dinner after and although the mood had changed, there was still that knowledge that we couldn't rely on the other teams.

"We knew we needed to get that win against Portsmouth on the last day. Then that day came and the results were coming through that Reading were winning, but we managed to hold on."

The 1-0 win at Fratton Park will never be forgotten by the Fulham faithful – and it's a game that will live long in Keller's memory banks too.

He said: "It's always fun to be part of something kind of historic; a great cup run, or something that people don't expect, such as being a part of such a huge relegation save.

"The coach ride home after Portsmouth was a lot of fun and, like I said, it was great to be a part of it. You had that internal sense of pride – I'd got back into this Team and I was a part of something cool."

Born in Lacey, Washington, Keller started his career for Portland Timbers before moving to Millwall in 1992, where he made more than 150 appearances. He then moved to Leicester before leaving for Spain in 1999 to join up with Rayo Vallecano.

Keller returned to the Premier League after accepting an offer from Tottenham in August 2001. He made more than 80 appearances for the North London outfit before losing his first-team place to Paul Robinson.

Reflecting on his time at Spurs, Keller said: "I played every minute of every game - league and cup - for over two years, which is special when you consider how often players are rested for games; to be in a situation at a club where if I was fit, I would be on the field. And I was lucky enough to stay fit, so it was nice.

"But it was decided that Spurs was going to go young and English and I wasn't exactly either so I went to Germany and really enjoyed a few seasons there. I played in the World Cup during that period and I had a great time. It was another great experience."

After leaving SW6, Keller, who won 101 caps for the United States, ended his career with Seattle Sounders.

He now resides back in America, but he'll be taking a keen interest in proceedings at White Hart Lane on Sunday when the Whites travel to in-form Spurs.

"Spurs are starting to show what everyone felt they've been capable of for so long," said Keller. "I'm not quite sure why it's taken as long as it has to emerge as a team that should be challenging for the UEFA Champions League spots. Right now, they're at the right end of the table.

"Fulham have been interesting. They always seem to go on a run in either direction; things go well and they get a few wins together and you think 'okay, now they're going to start pushing forward'. Or they go on a run of games without a win.

"But I still think Fulham have achieved such great things over the last few years. I don't think anyone truly expected what's happened. But it's such a great Club. It was a fun place to be a part of at the end of my career."

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/match-preview/284107/bale-back-for-tottenham

Tottenham forward Gareth Bale returns to the squad for Sunday's Barclays Premier League game against Fulham after sitting out the trip to Inter Milan due to suspension.

Winger Aaron Lennon should return to the starting line-up after he came off the bench in Milan following his recovery from a hamstring injury.

Former Fulham forward Clint Dempsey (calf) is expected to be available, but defender Younes Kaboul and midfielder Sandro (both knee) are out.

Teams

Tottenham (from): Lloris, Friedel, Walker, Naughton, Gallas, Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto, Lennon, Holtby, Livermore, Dembele, Carroll, Parker, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Bale, Dempsey, Defoe, Adebayor, Coulthirst.

White Noise

http://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/spurs-fulham-match-preview/

A look ahead to Spurs vs Fulham

Traumatised and triumphant we take on Fulham this Sunday at White Hart Lane, a game we should win, but if nothing else Thursday night was a lesson in not taking anything for granted.

Perhaps surprisingly, given how little they've caught the eye, the Cottagers lie 10th in the table. They've had a lot of draws. They're Berbatov-centric and denying him the ball will be the key to nullifying any danger and getting a positive result, the man still has a technique and ability to find space to be envious and wary of. Elsewhere their threat takes the shape of Ruiz and Karagounis, the rest are mostly scurrying workers.

The 3-0 scoreline at Craven Cottage in December makes it look like we were all over them when in fact the game was very even until Sandro's pot shot from range beat Schwarzer in the second half. It was a memorable game for Bale, he was booked for being tripped by Sidwell and then pulled up and limped off hamstrung, his only injury of note (thank Hod) thus far this season.

Talking of hamstrings, we should welcome back Aaron Lennon on the right hand side and that'll immediately give the side a much more balanced look as Dembélé moves into the middle. Lloris and Dawson will come back and maybe Benny too though AVB does seem unsure whether he or Naughton is the better bet on the left. The latter came off injured in the San Siro so that'll probably swing it. It's anyone's guess who'll play alongside Bale up front, and the way both Adebayor and Defoe are playing it doesn't really matter.

West Ham are unlikely to do us any favours at Stamford Bridge so three points are pretty crucial in terms of getting some momentum back after last week's disappointment.

Mike Jones is the man in black. Or green or yellow or something. COYS.

By MF

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/3/15/4107616/motivated-tottenham-host-fulham-preview

Motivated Tottenham host Fulham - Preview 

By Kristian Balkin on Mar 15 2013

Jan Kruger

Having lost two games in a row, Andre Villas Boas will be hoping his side return to winning ways after a tremendous start to 2013.

The mood around Fulham is strangely sanguine at the moment. We haven't played for two weeks and, therefore, haven't lost since 2nd February.

This accidental turn of form, though underwhelming, has left a bubbly undercurrent of optimism at Motspur Park over the past week and John Arne Riise, speaking ahead of our visit to White Hart Lane, only highlighted this positivity.

"[Tottenham] have a heavy schedule right now as they're playing in the UEFA Europa League so hopefully they'll be a bit tired," he told fulhamfc.com.

They have also lost twice in a row - 3-2 to Liverpool and 4-1 to Inter Milan - though this, without doubt, is a double edged sword. They will turn up on Sunday deflated and fatigued but, unfortunately for us, motivated.

The task awaiting Fulham is certainly surmountable, however. If Martin Jol can summon up some of the abundant quality and guile in show in our last away league victory, West Bromwich Albion, then Spurs can be beaten.

Overlooking their two straight defeats, Andre Villas Boas' men are in a rich vein of form. They've beaten Arsenal, Newcastle United and Lyon over the past number of weeks and have done so with definite confidence.

Fulham, meanwhile, have continued to stutter their way through the campaign, picking up points sporadically and meandering between fine, flowing football and something of a less refined calibre. The 2-2 draw at Sunderland in the last outing showed both of those traits in one, 90-minute frustration-fest.

Earlier in the season, on visiting Craven Cottage, AVB and his Spurs side walked away with a 3-0 victory that wasn't truly in keeping with the pattern of the match. As Fulham have had to learn quickly this season, looking good and winning games aren't always reliant on one another. Last year's visit to the Lane was similarly fruitless, with a 2-0 loss on the final day of the season.

Gareth Bale will be expected to return to AVB's starting eleven after returning from European suspension. His presence is unwelcome at best. Sandro remains out while Clint Dempsey might not be fit to face his former club.

For Fulham, Mahamadou Diarra will not feature, while Kerim Frei is still thought to be working his way back to full fitness.

Score prediction: Spurs 2-1 Fulham

White Noise

http://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/stat-attack-spurs-fulham/

Stat Attack: Spurs vs Fulham

- Spurs run of incredible form was brought to an end by the Premier League's other form team Liverpool last weekend. Two goals from Jan Vertonghen, both supplied by Gareth Bale crosses, wasn't enough to earn a point for Spurs in that game.

- Vertonghen now has three goals in the Premier League this season, a healthier return than the one he had prior to the game based on the number of efforts he has had on goal. Only David Luiz has had more efforts at goal from the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index's centre backs than Vertonghen, and he has also played in central midfield. Vertonghen has had 28 efforts at goal with an impressive 19 on target (67.8%), compared to Luiz's 37 shots with just 51.3% on target.

- Vertonghen has also impressed defensively, winning 76.6% of the 77 tackles he has attempted. That's the fourth highest among the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index's defenders who have attempted 50 tackles or more.

- As well as supplying both assists, Bale had six efforts at goal himself against Liverpool, a figure bettered only by Southampton's Jay Rodriguez in the last round of games.

- Moussa Dembele has quickly established himself as a key part of this successful Spurs team, complimenting the flair of Bale by closing down opposition defenders. No other striker in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index has won as many tackles as Dembele, who has won 48 tackles, 21 more than the next ranked striker.

- Fulham's last game was a 2-2 draw with Sunderland, thanks to goals from Dimitar Berbatov and Sascha Riether

- Berbatov's goal was his tenth of the season, making him one of 19 players to have hit that milestone, while he has taken the 6th fewest efforts at goal to get there with 57.

- Riether has impressed getting forward this season, and has completed 436 passes in the opposition half, averaging one every 5 minutes 42 seconds, while also delivering 49 crosses and contributing 4 assists.

- Riether has also won an impressive 75.4% of his 61 attempted tackles this season, the 5th best tackles won percentage among players attempting 50 tackles or more this season.

- Brede Hangeland has also enjoyed a dominant season in defence for Fulham, making 232 defensive contributions in total including 25 blocks and 122 interceptions

White Noise

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/opta-stats-tottenham-v-fulham-1-150313-629.html

Opta Stats: Tottenham v Fulham

After a long unbeaten run, Tottenham have now lost their last two games. Can they get back to winning ways against Fulham?

Tottenham have won their last six Barclays Premier League games in a row against Fulham, this after winning only five of the previous 17. Spurs are 1.54 to win.

Fulham have scored a total of only two goals in their last eight top-flight games against Spurs. Tottenham are 2.44 to keep a clean sheet.

Spurs have scored more long range goals than any other Premier League team this season (11). They are just 1.12 to find the net against Fulham.

Fulham have only ever won 21 of their 104 Premier League London derbies. Tottenham are 2.45 to win to nil.

Tottenham have scored 249 goals in Premier League London derbies. Spurs are 1.4 to score the first goal.

Spurs have fashioned 31 chances from counter-attacks this season, more than any other size. They are 2.34 to win half-time/full-time.

Fulham have taken only five points from six London derbies this season, while Spurs have 16, more than any other capital club. The draw half-time/Tottenham full-time is 5.3.

Gareth Bale has taken more direct free-kicks than any other player in the Premier League this season (19) but has scored with only two. Bale is 1.83 to score at any time.

Tottenham have conceded exactly one goal in their last four Premier League home games and in seven of the last nine at White Hart Lane. Fulham are 1.64 to score a goal.

Only five of Gareth Bale's 16 Premier League goals this season have come at White Hart Lane. When the market gains more liquidity, you will be able to lay Bale to score at around 1.84.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/15/u18s-visit-reading

Under-18s Visit United

Friday 15 March 2013 12:00

After their first defeat of 2013, Steve Wigley's Under-18s will look to return to winning ways on Saturday with a trip to Manchester United (11am).

Despite Wednesday's 3-1 loss at Reading, where Muamer Tankovic (pictured) was again on target, Fulham continue to hold top spot in the Barclays Under-18 Premier League Elite Group.

Prior to the defeat at the Royals, Fulham had registered an impressive six-game unbeaten run.

The young Whites are a point in front of second-placed Southampton with a game in hand, and seven ahead of opponents United, who have won three and drawn two of their seven fixtures so far.

Last Saturday, United, who play the majority of their games at the Trafford Training Centre in Salford, were held to a 1-1 draw at Everton, with Jack Rudge scoring their goal.

Overseen by the highly-respected Paul McGuinness, United have impressed this term with Belgian full-back Andreas Pereira, Norwegian playmaker Mats Daehli and winger Jack Barmby (son of former England midfielder Nick) all catching the eye.

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-matchpack-tottenham-v-fulham-120438533.html

Premier League - Matchpack: Tottenham v Fulham

Team news, manager quotes and stats ahead of the Premier League match between Tottenham v Fulham at White Hart Lane.
By PA Sport | Opta – 1 hour 30 minutes ago...

TEAM NEWS

Tottenham forward Gareth Bale returns to the squad. Winger Aaron Lennon should return to the starting line-up after he came off the bench in Milan following his recovery from a hamstring injury. Former Fulham forward Clint Dempsey (calf) is expected to be available, but defender Younes Kaboul and midfielder Sandro (both knee) are out.

MANAGER QUOTES

Andre Villas-Boas:

Martin Jol:

MATCH FACTS

Tottenham have won their last six Barclays Premier League games in a row against Fulham, this after winning only five of the previous 17.

Fulham have scored a total of only two goals in their last eight top-flight games against Spurs.

Spurs have scored more long range goals than any other Premier League team this season (11).

Fulham have only ever won 21 of their 104 Premier League London derbies.

Tottenham have scored 249 goals in Premier League London derbies.

Spurs have fashioned 31 chances from counter-attacks this season, more than any other size.

Fulham have taken only five points from six London derbies this season, while Spurs have 16, more than any other capital club.

Gareth Bale has taken more direct free-kicks than any other player in the Premier League this season (19) but has scored with only two.

Tottenham have conceded exactly one goal in their last four Premier League home games and in seven of the last nine at White Hart Lane.

Only five of Gareth Bale's 16 Premier League goals this season have come at White Hart Lane.

MATCH ODDS

Tottenham (1/2), Fulham (9/2), Draw (13/5)

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/15/10-things-premier-league-weekend

9) Tottenham must rouse mind and body against Fulham

André Villas-Boas has repeatedly said that the Europa League ought not to be a drain on stamina for the Premier League but the theory faces its acid test at home to Fulham on Sunday. The Tottenham Hotspur manager knows that Thursday to Sunday is the tighter turnaround, as opposed to Sunday to Thursday, and his players must also recover from the physically and mentally sapping trip to Milan, where they needed extra time to squeak past Internazionale in the last-16 second leg. Some of Villas-Boas's players looked out on their feet towards the end. David Hytner

White Noise

http://www.westlondonsport.com/tottenham/football-tottenham/jol-gareth-bale-should8-stay-and17-be-a-tottenham-legend

Jol: Gareth Bale should stay and become a Tottenham legend

15/03/2013

Lyall Thomas

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes Gareth Bale should stay at Tottenham and become a legend at the club.

The Welshman, signed for Spurs as a 17-year-old by Jol in 2007, has risen to become one of the most talked-about players in world football this season and has been linked with a move away from White Hart Lane.

But ahead of his Fulham side's game against Spurs on Sunday, Jol made it clear he believes Bale can achieve greatness without going elsewhere.

"I hope Bale will stay at Spurs because it's a very good club for him," he said.

"Spurs have been getting better and better so why shouldn't he stay there? They have a big support, they're a big club with a big fan base and he could be a legend there.

"Being linked with going abroad is always nice but it could be a risk. When I look at other players from England or from Holland – big players - who have done that it doesn't always come off.

"Whatever he decides to do he will have a big future because he is the best player in the Premier League at the moment."

Jol also admitted he tried to sign Bale on loan for Hamburg when he was manager there between 2008 and 2009.

"I wanted to get him on loan in Germany at the time but other clubs were trying to get him too and Tottenham did well to keep him," he explained.

"In hindsight, getting him to sign for Tottenham was very satisfying because everyone could see then he was an exciting talent."

White Noise

http://www.byfarthegreatestteam.com/posts/stats-verthonghens-shooting-accuracy-for-tottenham-hotspur-vs-riethers-passing-for-fulham/

STATS: Verthonghen's shooting accuracy for Tottenham Hotspur vs Riether's passing for Fulham

Posted on 15 March 2013.

Tottenham v Fulham, Sunday 15:00

- Spurs run of incredible form was brought to an end by the Premier League's other form team Liverpool last weekend. Two goals from Jan Vertonghen, both supplied by Gareth Bale crosses, wasn't enough to earn a point for Spurs in that game.

- Verthonghen now has three goals in the Premier League this season, a healthier return than the one he had prior to the game based on the number of efforts he has had on goal. Only David Luiz has had more efforts at goal from the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index's centre backs than Vertonghen, and he has also played in central midfield. Vertonghen has had 28 efforts at goal with an impressive 19 on target (67.8%), compared to Luiz's 37 shots with just 51.3% on target.

- Vertonghen has also impressed defensively, winning 76.6% of the 77 tackles he has attempted. That's the fourth highest among the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index's defenders who have attempted 50 tackles or more.

- As well as supplying both assists, Bale had six efforts at goal himself against Liverpool, a figure bettered only by Southampton's Jay Rodriguez in the last round of games.

- Moussa Dembele has quickly established himself as a key part of this successful Spurs team, complimenting the flair of Bale by closing down opposition defenders. No other striker in the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index has won as many tackles as Dembele, who has won 48 tackles, 21 more than the next ranked striker.

- Fulham's last game was a 2-2 draw with Sunderland, thanks to goals from Dimitar Berbatov and Sascha Riether

- Berbatov's goal was his tenth of the season, making him one of 19 players to have hit that milestone, while he has taken the 6th fewest efforts at goal to get there with 57.

- Riether has impressed getting forward this season, and has completed 436 passes in the opposition half, averaging one every 5 minutes 42 seconds, while also delivering 49 crosses and contributing 4 assists.

- Riether has also won an impressive 75.4% of his 61 attempted tackles this season, the 5th best tackles won percentage among players attempting 50 tackles or more this season.

- Brede Hangeland has also enjoyed a dominant season in defence for Fulham, making 232 defensive contributions in total including 25 blocks and 122 interceptions

White Noise

William Gallas warns Fulham to expect a stronger Spurs on Sunday

By talkSPORT | Friday, March 15, 2013

William Gallas insists Tottenham's defensive nightmare against Inter Milan was a one-off and will not be repeated against Fulham on Sunday.

Spurs were holding a 3-0 lead going into the second leg of Thursday night's Europa League last 16 tie but came close to crashing out of the competition as the Italian side clawed back the deficit to take the tie into extra time.

Emmanuel Adebayor's extra-time goal saw the north London club move through on away goals, despite Inter then going on to make it 4-1 on the night, but Gallas has vowed there will no defensive jitters against Fulham.

"In the next game it won't happen," the Frenchman said. "It won't happen because all the players know what they have to do.

"Against Inter we didn't play well. It was not good and all the boys know we have to react.

"I think the manager will have a meeting with us on Saturday to say what was wrong and correct what wasn't good. It is very important.

"To concede seven goals in two games is not very good. It can mean some things are not well. It was not the real Tottenham against Inter, but we can move on."

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130315/william-gallas-warns-fulham-expect-stronger-spurs-sunday-193732#ixzz2NcSz8Ly2

White Noise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21732280

Tottenham V Fulham

KO 15:00

Barclays Premier League

Venue: White Hart LaneDate: Sunday, 17 March

Tottenham's Gareth Bale returns to the squad after being suspended for the midweek trip to Inter Milan.

Winger Aaron Lennon, who came off the bench in Italy after a hamstring injury, could be back in the starting XI.

In contrast to Spurs, Fulham have had a two-week break and have no new injury worries.

Mahamadou Diarra (knee) misses out while Eyong Enoh is doubtful as he is still working up to match fitness.

MATCH PREVIEW
So Tottenham Hotspur's bid for European silverware remains intact - but at what cost?

Battered and bruised physically and mentally by Thursday night's San Siro experience, will there be any lingering hangover as they return their attentions to the main focus: a top-four finish in the Premier League?

LAWRO'S PREDICTION
  Mark Lawrenson
Football Analyst "Tottenham played well for an hour at Anfield and looked the good side we know they are. But losing against Liverpool makes this a big game for them, especially coming after a Europa League trip to play Inter Milan.

"How they bounce back is important and, in terms of what shape they are in for a top-four finish, this game will tell us more about Spurs than a narrow defeat against Liverpool did."

Read Lawro's full prediction and score

Gareth Bale was suspended for the trip to Italy, while skipper Michael Dawson and goalkeeper Hugo Lloris were rested. Their fresh legs and minds could be hugely significant.

Bale's importance is staggeringly obvious and has been well documented but it's worth throwing the spotlight on the other two.

Lloris had to wait for his chance despite costing ÂŁ12m, but the French number one has really proved his worth, particularly at White Hart Lane where he's only conceded seven goals in his last nine games.

How Andre Villas-Boas must shudder every time he recalls trying to sell Dawson in August. Overlooked until November, Spurs have only lost one league game with him in the starting line-up, and his recent terrific form has been rewarded with a recall to the England squad.

Defeat at Liverpool last Sunday brought an end to Tottenham's impressive 12-game unbeaten run, and two former favourites will be at the heart of Fulham's efforts to put another spanner in the works.

If manager Martin Jol can always be guaranteed a warm welcome on his return to the Lane, I'm not sure the same can be said of Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian failed to find the net on his three visits with Manchester United, but has scored in three of his last four games for Fulham and is clearly the main threat.

It's 10 years since Fulham last enjoyed victory at White Hart Lane, and they've only won twice on their travels this season so it's difficult to see them winning this one. However if Spurs are a bit leggy they could steal a point, leaving Chelsea and Arsenal as the real winners of this London derby.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

•Tottenham have won their last four home matches against Fulham (three in the league. one in the FA Cup). Their 2-0 win there last May guaranteed them a top-four finish - but not a place in the Champions League.
•Fulham's last victory at White Hart Lane was back in 2003 when Barry Hayles scored twice in a 3-0 win.
•Since then, Fulham have lost six and drawn two of their Premier League matches away at Tottenham, and have scored just one goal - that came from Clint Dempsey, who is now a Tottenham player, in a 5-1 defeat in December 2007, which was a couple of months after Spurs sacked Martin Jol, who is now the Fulham manager.
Tottenham

•Tottenham have won four of their last five Premier League matches and have not lost at home since 3 November.
•Spurs have failed to score in just three league games this season, and have scored more second-half goals (35) than any other club in this season's Premier League.
•According to Opta, Tottenham have scored more goals (11) from outside the penalty area than any other side in this season's top flight.
•Spurs have the best head-to-head record in London derby matches this season, winning five of their eight fixtures.
•Gareth Bale has scored 10 goals in his last 11 Premier League matches. His first-ever goal for Tottenham came against Fulham in a 3-3 draw back in September 2007.
•Tottenham haven't been awarded a penalty in the league at White Hart Lane in almost two years - since Rafael van der Vaart scored against Arsenal in April 2011.
Fulham

•Fulham have won just once away since the end of September. That was at West Brom on New Year's Day.
•They have yet to win in an away London derby this season (D2, L2).
•If Premier League matches finished at half-time, Fulham would be fifth.
•Since leaving Tottenham in 2007, Martin Jol has faced them three times as Fulham manager in the league - losing all three meetings.
•Fulham have the worst head-to-head record in London derby matches this season, winning one of their six fixtures. They have won only one of their last 42 away league London derbies - that was the 1-0 win at QPR in February 2012.