watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (17/03/13)

Started by White Noise, March 17, 2013, 07:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/384815/Same-old-faces-as-Martin-Jol-rues-losing-some-top-players

Same old faces as Martin Jol rues losing some top players

IT will be a bit like Friends Reunited when Spurs host Fulham this afternoon.

By: Colin Mafham

Published: Sun, March 17, 2013

Martin Jol will clash with his former team Spurs this afternoon and see some familiar faces

I have a good eye for players but most of the time if they are with me they play well and then go on to a better club.

If Spurs win and then go on to claim a Champions League spot, they might do well to send Martin Jol a thank you card.

Their ex-manager has provided them with three key players, developed a few more, and includes a White Hart Lane former favourite, Dimitar Berbatov, in his Fulham side

Jol discovered Luiz Suarez at Ajax, and brought Gareth Bale and Moussa Dembele to the Premier League.

Add to them Clint Dempsey, Benoit Assou-Ekotto, Aaron Lennon, Michael Dawson, Jermaine Defoe and young Jake Livermore, and you can understand it if he claims just a little credit for some of Spurs' successes.

While most eyes will be on the exciting Bale today, Dembele probably excites Jol even more.

"We wanted to keep him at Fulham," said Jol.

"You can give him the ball and he won't give it away because he's too strong. Every time he plays for Spurs they seem to have better results. If he's not playing, it's different."

Jol reckons the secret of Spurs' success is that they can hang on to most of their best players.

He added: "I have a good eye for players but most of the time if they are with me they play well and then go on to a better club.''

Dembele said: "It was a very good time at Fulham. I enjoyed it and they gave me a lot of confidence. They were behind me all the time and I have a very good feeling about the club."

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/304129/

X-RATED TACKLING WON'T UPSET GARETH BALE INSISTS CHRIS COLEMAN

Even if the ­opposition does stop Gareth for 89 minutes, he can still pick the ball up and score

17th March 2013

By Harry Pratt

GARETH BALE can no longer be kicked off the park – in fact, the more ­opponents try, the more he will put them to the sword.

That's the warning from Wales boss Chris Coleman (right) ahead of ­another crunch fortnight in the remarkable rise of the Tottenham ace towards superstar status.

Today, Bale, 23, aims to shoot down Coleman's old club Fulham in the Premier League – and ­maintain Spurs' drive for a top-four finish and Champions League football next term.

Then, he is off to join up with the Red Dragons for a couple of tasty World Cup qualifiers – away to bitter enemy Scotland on ­Friday before a home clash versus Croatia the following Tuesday.

No wonder Coleman, whose own future could hang on those two ­results, will be a nervous wreck this afternoon, praying his ­inspirational star emerges from Craven Cottage ­unscathed.

For an ­inevitable hazard of the job is ­rival defenders attempting to halt him – at all costs.

Not that Coleman reckons the dirty stuff works. Quite the ­opposite. He believes Bale loves punishing the hatchet men – by thumping home another of those trademark piledrivers.

The ex-Fulham and Blackburn centre-half, 42, said: "The more he gets kicked and thrown about, the more determined he is to stick the ball in the net.

"Cristiano Ronaldo is like that. So too is Lionel Messi. The way Gareth looks at it is to stop the ­opposition by beating them, ­winning the game or scoring a goal. He's got that mentality.

"When Gareth plays for ­Tottenham or Wales there is going to be an ­element of people kicking him. It's one way of trying to slow him down.

"In my playing days, when we were up against a good ­player, we'd say, 'Give him a ­little reducer early doors.' I dished a few of those out.

"It's football and the ­opposition are entitled to do what they think is best to stop Gareth within the rules of the game. He is under no illusions about that."

These days Coleman insists the mere sight of Bale, with 25 goals for club and country this season, is sufficient to rattle the ­opposition.

It is why he is so desperate the in-form Welsh wizard stays ­fighting fit.

Coleman, whose contract runs until the end of the World Cup qualifiers, went on: "It's the ­weekend I dread as international manager. I'll be on edge, hoping the phone doesn't ring. "Having Gareth in the team is a massive psychological advantage – a big positive for us and a negative for the opposition.

"Sam Allardyce hit the nail on the head when Bale scored that winner against West Ham. You can plan all you like but how do you stop a player with the ­capacity to do that?

"Even if the ­opposition does stop Gareth for 89 minutes, he can still pick the ball up and score. That's a hell of a plus."

Coleman was fuming last week after Spurs ­legend Chris Waddle ­suggested Bale will never play in a World Cup finals or ­European ­Championship ­because Wales are no-hopers.

But he does agree with Waddle's view Bale can reach the sport's summit – without ­swapping N15 for one of Europe's elite in the summer.

"I'm sure if he was playing for a bigger nation, they'd already be saying he's one of the greats. For me, he's right up there, just ­behind Messi and Ronaldo," said the ex-Fulham and Real Sociedad coach.

"I said last year he can play for anybody. Nothing has changed. And, of course, the biggest clubs are going to come looking. Spurs know and won't want to lose him.

"But he seems happy there. It doesn't look as if he wants to leave. He's doing brilliantly. I'm sure if Spurs make the ­Champions League, Gareth will stay."

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/moussa-dembl-puts-inter-defeat-to-one-side-ahead-of-fulham-clash-8537629.html

Moussa Dembélé puts Inter defeat to one side ahead of Fulham clash

Steve Tongue

Sunday 17 March 2013

Few teams dislike a derby as much as Fulham, whose record against their closest neighbours, Chelsea, is nine wins in 77 games; against Arsenal, eight in 52; and against today's opponents Tottenham, 12 in 78.

Along with a poor away record almost every season, it suggests a lack of character, which is an impression the former Spurs manager, Martin Jol, would like to dispel at White Hart Lane today.

Beaten in the past six League meetings with Tottenham, Fulham have not won there since 2003, a run lightened only by a 4-0 home win in the FA Cup two seasons ago. Too often they are simply overrun, as in the 3-0 home defeat in December, when Jermain Defoe scored twice. They lose players to Spurs as well; Jol is still sore about how Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembélé both moved there right at the end of the summer transfer window. The consolation was to bring in Dimitar Berbatov, who like Jol will receive a good reception this afternoon.

Dempsey is still injured, while Dembélé has proved a more consistently reliable acquisition. "It was a very good time, for sure, I enjoyed it a lot," he said of his stint at Fulham. "They gave me a lot of confidence. They were behind me all the time so I had a very good experience. I have a very good feeling about the club."

The Belgian said Thursday's 4-1 defeat by Internazionale was "a bit embarrassing", but took greater encouragement from the previous loss, 3-2 at Liverpool last weekend: "We lost against Liverpool, but I thought we played well."

After only one loss in five games, Fulham are back in the top 10 and hoping to turn the tide of history today.

Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham is today, kick-off 3pm

White Noise

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-vs-fulham-jan-vertonghen-1768601

Jolly good fellow: Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen praises Fulham boss for changing his career

16 Mar 2013 22:30

Jan Vertonghen hopes to prove what a major impact Martin Jol had on his career.

The outstanding Tottenham defender lines up at White Hart Lane against his old ­manager, who is now in charge at Fulham.

Vertonghen could not praise Dutchman Jol enough for the work he did with him when they were at Ajax.

Jol stayed only 18 months there but ­Vertonghen said: "I played for him and he gave me a lot of ­confidence. He helped me to ­become the player I am.

"He can motivate the team and individual players, and he also helped the like of Luis Suarez.

"He found my best position for me. Before he came I was a ­midfielder or left-back. He made me a centre-half. When he ­became manager I made the most progress as a player in his first season."

Now master and pupil clash at White Hart Lane and the Belgium international wants to show Jol how much more progress he has made.

Spurs have lost their last two games letting in seven goals. And Vertonghen is ­desperate to ­ensure the hard work put in to secure a top four Premier League place does not go to waste. The Belgian is a popular member of the squad trying to bring European football's premier competition back to White Hart Lane.

The fans have elevated him to iconic status and generated their own anthem of: "He come from Amsterdam and plays for Tottenham." The 26-year-old is looking every inch a bargain at £7million.

"I feel it from the fans and I am so happy they are supporting me," he said.

The concession of seven goals in two games – against Liverpool in the Premier League and four against Inter Milan in the Europa League – is not acceptable, even though the away goal they scored through Emmanuel Adebayor on ­Thursday took them through to quarter-finals.

An inquest has been held and defender William Gallas is still confident because of the quality, mood and spirit in the squad.

Gallas – who is likely to be ­replaced by Michael Dawson against Fulham today – said: "We are determined not to let our chances of finishing in the top four slip.

"I am confident it will not ­happen because of the quality of players we have in the squad. We will sort things out, I am sure."

Meanwhile, Gallas has warned UEFA that more players will walk off the pitch during matches unless racist fans are dealt with.

Mous hunting: Dembele proves Spurs are not a one-man team, claims Jol

Martin Jol has rubbished the idea that Tottenham are a one-man team – because he reckons Mousa ­Dembele is as important to them as Gareth Bale, writes Julian Bennetts.

Fulham boss Jol had hoped to build his side around Dembele (above), who he converted from a striker to a midfielder, but his hopes were dashed when Tottenham met the Belgian's £15million release clause just before the August transfer ­window closed.

And while Bale has been getting all the plaudits for his superb form, the Cottagers boss thinks Dembele is just as important in Spurs' charge for the top four and says the 25-year-old's team-mates all want to copy him.

"We wanted to keep Dembele and I always said we should have had a clause in his contract," said former White Hart Lane boss Jol.

"A lot of players would like to be like Mousa.

"Maybe they would like to be like Bale as well, of course, but especially Dembele.

"Even Dimitar Berbatov and all these guys – ­Dembele is that good.

"You can give him the ball and he won't give it away ­because he is too strong.

"Even if there is no time and space he will get away from people.

"Players recognise another player and on the ball, pound for pound, Mousa is probably the best.

"I felt he wasn't making the most of his talents enough to be a forward player, and in midfield every time he plays Tottenham seem to have better results. If he is not playing it is different for them."

He added: "Are Tottenham a one-man team? No.

"If the best players remain there and the nucleus of the team is always the same over the last few years, they can't be a one-man team.

"I think Bale is making the ­difference now but before then you had other players who were making a difference."

White Noise

http://tottenhamlive.com/news/735-spurs-v-fulham-stats.html

Spurs v Fulham stats & facts

Saturday, 16 March 2013 17:00 James McCarthy .

Once again all the signs point to the home side as Spurs have lost just 4 of the last 32 games at White Hart Lane, and visitors Fulham have picked up just 12 out of an available 33 on their travels this year.

In his time at White hart Lane, Martin Jol managed a win percentage of 42% over the 3 year spell. This was a record for any Spurs manager before some bloke called Redknapp nicked it. However, so far in his tenure, Andre Villas-Boas has a percentage of just over 51% which would trump Redknapp by nearly 2%.

The game promises goals as Tottenham have only failed to score in 3 games this year, a feat only beaten by Manchester United's 2. Likewise, Fulham have conceded 27 goals on the road, the 4th worst tally in the league.

As for the side's top goalscorers, Dimitar Berbatov has edged up 10 goals in 23 games this season – an average of 0.43 goals per game. However, Welsh winger Gareth Bale has managed 16 goals in just 25 games, giving him a goal per game average of 0.69.

Bale has scored 10 goals in his last 11 Premier league matches – his first ever Premier League goal came in a 3-3 draw with Fulham at Craven Cottage back in September 2007. Berbatov on the other hand, now has 3 goals in his last 4 games, including a stunning volley against Stoke.

Tottenham have the best record in London derbies so far this season - winning 5 out of 8 - however Fulham have the worst record – winning 1 of 6. Amazingly, Fulham have won just ONE of their last 42 away London Derbies.

Both teams have only scored 22 goals in front of their home crowds this year, the difference coming in defensive records and away games. Tottenham have conceded 14 at White Hart Lane as opposed to Fulham's 17, and Villas-Boas' men have made up for the lack of goals in N17 with 29 goals away from home. Fulham have just 17.

It is well publicized, however, that Spurs' goals do not come from their strikers. As I mentioned before the Inter Milan 2nd leg, Jermain Defoe is without a Premier League goal in 753minutes, with Adebayor fast approaching 400 despite his Europa League winner in midweek.

On the flipside, Fulham's last 10 goals have come from 1 defender (Riether), 2 from midfielders (Karagounis and Kacaniklic) and 7 from strikers (Berbatov, Rodellega and Bryan Ruiz).

Spurs are unbeaten in their last 8 games against Fulham – winning 6 in a row.

Let's make it 7.

White Noise

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/mousa-on-fulham-in-sundays-programme-16032013.page

MOUSA ON FULHAM IN SUNDAY'S PROGRAMME

Posted 16 March 2013 4:33pm

Mousa Dembele talks about his fondness for former club Fulham in Sunday's official programme - and the importance of taking three points against them.

The midfielder impressed in two seasons at Craven Cottage before making his summer switch to White Hart Lane.

Mousa is the main interview in Sunday's programme as we return to Premier League action after reaching the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

"It's against my old team but we have to win this game, whoever we're playing," said Mousa.

"Fulham was a great club for me and I'm always positive when I speak about them. They also have a lot of quality, are hard to play against and we'll have to play well to beat them."

Mousa insists the team is determined to bounce back from last week's loss at Liverpool - and the end of our 12-match unbeaten run in the Premier League.

"Liverpool is always a tough place to go but we deserved at least a point," said Mousa. "We're playing well, we've had good results and the defeat at Liverpool doesn't change anything."

White Noise

Dembele wants to make up for 'embarrassing' San Siro defeat by beating former club Fulham

By Simon Peach, Press Association

PUBLISHED:15:22, 16 March 2013| UPDATED:15:22, 16 March 2013

Comments (2)

Mousa Dembele wants Tottenham to make amends for a miserable week by beating former club Fulham tomorrow.

Having overcome Arsenal in the north London derby and trounced Inter Milan in the Europa League, Andre Villas-Boas' side were riding the crest of a wave little over a week ago.

However, a 3-2 defeat at Liverpool was followed by a 4-1 second leg defeat at Inter, where only away goals saved Tottenham's blushes after extra-time.

Improvement: Mousa Dembele wants a better Tottenham performance against Fulham on Sunday following back-to-back defeats to Liverpool and Inter Milan

The lackadaisical performance at the San Siro was the most concerning aspect and leaves Spurs in need of a morale-boosting victory against Fulham tomorrow.

'It was a bit embarrassing,' Dembele said. 'We thought it was going to be easier than this.

'We knew they were going to fight but it's a shame that we let them into the game.

'We had to work much harder but we are through and we have to take lessons from the game into the Fulham game.

'The thing is that if you go to a place with a 3-0 lead you take a different mentality. That was wrong.

'It didn't work, what we wanted to do. But we are through and that is okay.'

Fronting up: Dembele argues with Stewart Downing, Daniel Agger and others during Tottenham's 3-2 defeat at Anfield last Sunday

Tottenham's reward is a clash against Swiss champions Basle at the quarter-final stage of a competition Villas-Boas won as Porto manager two years ago.

Spurs are second favourites to win the competition behind Chelsea, who are also rivalling the north Londoners in the league.

Villas-Boas' side sit third with a two-point advantage over the Blues but their Champions League qualification is still far from secure, making tomorrow's fixture against Dembele's former club particularly important.

'We lost against Liverpool, but I thought we played well,' the Belgian said. 'Against Inter it was a different game to the one against Liverpool.

'This one against Inter we were not confident, but against Liverpool we were. At the weekend we have to be fully concentrated and go for the win.

'They have good players and against big teams they always play well. They are a good teams. They have some good players.'

While Dembele can expect a warm reception from Fulham fans, the same cannot be said for Tottenham team-mate Clint Dempsey.

The American's lengthy stay at Craven Cottage ended on a sour note, with the west Londoners' supporters booing him when the teams met earlier in the season.

'Of course you hope that it doesn't happen again because he did a lot for the club as well,' Dembele said. 'Let's concentrate on the game.

'It was a very good time at Fulham. I enjoyed it a lot.

'They gave me a lot of confidence. They were behind me all the time so I had a very good experience there and I have a very good feeling about the club.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2294375/Mousa-Dembele-wants-make-amends-Tottenham-defeat-Inter-Milan-win-Fulham.html#ixzz2NmW8LGAg

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/16/man-utd-u18s-3-u18s-1

Man Utd U18s 3 U18s 1

Saturday 16 March 2013 13:02

Fulham's Under-18s were punished by a resilient Manchester United despite putting their opponents under heavy pressure throughout at the Trafford Training Centre.

Sam Byrne's 20th-minute strike put United ahead and the striker doubled his tally on 26. However, Pat Roberts' sixth goal of the season on the stroke of half-time brought the Whites back into the game.

It was a lifeline the young Whites fully deserved after more than matching their opponents in the first 45 minutes but, despite controlling long periods of the second half, United hung on and James Wilson hit a late third against the run of play.

United snatched a 20th-minute lead when the dynamic Liam Grimshaw twisted and turned through the Whites midfield and delivered an inviting cross which Joe Rothwell met with a powerful header.

Goalkeeper Marek Rodak launched himself across goal to block the initial attempt but Byrne reacted quickest to the loose ball and tucked the Red Devils into the lead.

The hosts soon doubled their advantage when Jack Barmby robbed Josh Passley in a dangerous position and the son of former England international Nick played in Byrne to stroke in his second.

Steve Wigley's side almost offered the best possible response on the half hour when Liam Donnelly was allowed a free header from George Williams' inswinging corner but his effort flew wide of United's post.

Fulham's strike partnership were combining well and when Muamar Tankovic slipped Moussa Dembele in behind United's backline, goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini was called upon to deny the Whites the route back into the game which their play deserved.

There were more near misses as Tankovic's dipping free-kick stung the hands of Gollini and from the resulting corner, Dembele jumped highest but his header was finger-tipped over by United's stopper.

But the Whites' lifeline finally arrived in first-half stoppage time when Williams set off on a marauding run past James Weir and Byrne before showing excellent composure to cut back for Roberts to add the finish.

Picking up in the second half where they left off, the Whites continued to force United onto the back foot, with Emerson Hyndman forcing Gollini into a stretching save and Donnelly heading over from close range.

With the clock ticking down, Fulham continued to pour forward but Tankovic's free-kick failed to trouble Gollini and Donnelly's late effort was hacked off the line.

Then the Whites frustrations were compounded as the home side counter-attacked in stoppage time and substitute Wilson was on the mark to wrap up United's win.

Fulham: Rodak, Donnelly, Burgess, Richards, Passley; Roberts, Sambou, Hyndman, Williams; Tankovic, Dembele.

White Noise

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8569966/

Fulham's Mahamadou Diarra facing more surgery, says Martin Jol

Last Updated: March 16, 2013 11:49am

Mahamadou Diarra: Unlikely to play again this season, says Jol

Mahamadou Diarra's future at Fulham appears bleak after Martin Jol revealed he is expected to miss the rest of the season with injury.

Diarra has not featured for the Cottagers this year and is facing a third operation on a persistent knee problem which has hindered his progress at club.

The 31-year-old former Real Madrid midfielder, whose contract expires in the summer, has made just eight appearances for the Londoners this term.

Diarra has not featured since December 1 last year and manager Jol said: "It is still painful. I think it will be quite complicated without an operation to get him going and fit again.

"We need to sit down and talk to the surgeon and make a decision, but I think he will out for the next couple of months.

"He was the main man last year when he came in. He gave us a boost again and was one of the most important players.

"It was quite a boost for us to get a player of his quality, but you have to be fit. If he isn't fit he can do nothing for us."

White Noise

http://sportingpreview.com/football2012-5/2012244.php

TOTTENHAM v FULHAM: INTERESTING OPTA STATS

Betfair: 16 March 2013

Reproduced with permission from betting.betfair.com. (c) The Sporting Exchange Limited.

After a long unbeaten run, Tottenham have now lost their last two games. Can they get back to winning ways against Fulham?

Tottenham have won their last six Barclays Premier League games in a row against Fulham, this after winning only five of the previous 17. Spurs are 1.54 to win.

Fulham have scored a total of only two goals in their last eight top-flight games against Spurs. Tottenham are 2.44 to keep a clean sheet.

Spurs have scored more long range goals than any other Premier League team this season (11). They are just 1.12 to find the net against Fulham.

Fulham have only ever won 21 of their 104 Premier League London derbies. Tottenham are 2.45 to win to nil.

Tottenham have scored 249 goals in Premier League London derbies. Spurs are 1.4 to score the first goal.

Spurs have fashioned 31 chances from counter-attacks this season, more than any other size. They are 2.34 to win half-time/full-time.

Fulham have taken only five points from six London derbies this season, while Spurs have 16, more than any other capital club. The draw half-time/Tottenham full-time is 5.3.

Gareth Bale has taken more direct free-kicks than any other player in the Premier League this season (19) but has scored with only two. Bale is 1.83 to score at any time.

Tottenham have conceded exactly one goal in their last four Premier League home games and in seven of the last nine at White Hart Lane. Fulham are 1.64 to score a goal.

Only five of Gareth Bale's 16 Premier League goals this season have come at White Hart Lane. When the market gains more liquidity, you will be able to lay Bale to score at around 1.84.

White Noise

http://sportingpreview.com/football2012-5/2012226.php

TOTTENHAM v FULHAM: HEAD TO HEAD

SportingPreview.com: 16 March 2013

Tottenham have won their last four home matches against Fulham (three in the league. one in the FA Cup). Their 2-0 win there last May guaranteed them a top-four finish - but not a place in the Champions League.

Fulham's last victory at White Hart Lane was back in 2003 when Barry Hayles scored twice in a 3-0 win.

Since then, Fulham have lost six and drawn two of their Premier League matches away at Tottenham, and have scored just one goal - that came from Clint Dempsey, who is now a Tottenham player, in a 5-1 defeat in December 2007, which was a couple of months after Spurs sacked Martin Jol, who is now the Fulham manager.

Tottenham have won four of their last five Premier League matches and have not lost at home since 3 November.

Spurs have failed to score in just three league games this season, and have scored more second-half goals (35) than any other club in this season's Premier League.

According to Opta, Tottenham have scored more goals (11) from outside the penalty area than any other side in this season's top flight.

Spurs have the best head-to-head record in London derby matches this season, winning five of their eight fixtures.

Gareth Bale has scored 10 goals in his last 11 Premier League matches. His first-ever goal for Tottenham came against Fulham in a 3-3 draw back in September 2007.

Tottenham haven't been awarded a penalty in the league at White Hart Lane in almost two years - since Rafael van der Vaart scored against Arsenal in April 2011.

Fulham have won just once away since the end of September. That was at West Brom on New Year's Day.

They have yet to win in an away London derby this season (D2, L2).

If Premier League matches finished at half-time, Fulham would be fifth.

Since leaving Tottenham in 2007, Martin Jol has faced them three times as Fulham manager in the league - losing all three meetings.

Fulham have the worst head-to-head record in London derby matches this season, winning one of their six fixtures. They have won only one of their last 42 away league London derbies - that was the 1-0 win at QPR in February 2012.

White Noise

Despite Fulham sitting in mid-table, cautious Jol is looking anxiously over his shoulder

By Andy Sims, Press Association

PUBLISHED:16:01, 16 March 2013| UPDATED:16:39, 16 March 2013

Comments (1)

Fulham manager Martin Jol admits he is still looking over his shoulder at the Barclays Premier League relegation scrap.

The Cottagers head to Jol's former club Tottenham tomorrow lying in a healthy 10th position, but still only nine points above the drop zone.

Stoke, West Ham, Newcastle and Norwich all started the weekend level with Fulham on 33 points and the Dutchman knows any one of them could yet find themselves in trouble.

Looking over his shoulder: Fulham boss Martin Jol admits he is wary of the clubs below his side

'We are in a good position but you have to look over your shoulder,' said Jol.

'Four or five clubs are still with us there who could be dragged into a situation you won't like.

'We always say we would like to get 40 points as soon as possible and then, you never know. Last year we had 52 points and the year before we were in the top eight with 49, so hopefully we will get 40 and then a bit more.'

At White Hart Lane Jol will come up against Gareth Bale, the player he brought to Tottenham from Southampton as a 17-year-old in 2007.

Title contenders: Jol says his former team, Tottenham, are title contenders this year

Spurs are being tipped as potential title contenders over the next few seasons and Jol admits the in-form Welshman will be key to their chances.

'They were 12 points ahead of Arsenal last season and at the end behind them so they were not consistent enough to contend for the title," he added.

'They are the same as they were the year before, but at some clubs you have the luck of having a player like Bale, making steps and getting better, so that is why they get better.'

Mahamadou Diarra should have been the player detailed to stop Bale, but Jol fears the former Real Madrid midfielder may not appear again this season due to a knee injury.

Season ending: Mahamadou Diarra (left) has played his last match for Fulham this season because of knee injury

The 31-year-old Mali international has managed just eight appearances this term and will be out of contract in the summer.

'Diarra had an operation, came back, had another little operation but it's still painful,' said Jol.

'We will go back to the surgeon and ask for different advice. I think it will be quite complicated without an operation to get him fit again. He will be out for the next couple of months.

'He was the main man last season, one of the most important players. It was a boost for us to get a player of his quality but you need him fit. But he has promised to get fit.

'If someone is not fit you have to assess the situation so hopefully in a couple of months we will sit down with him and make a decision.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2294382/Martin-Jol-wary-drawn-relegation-struggle.html#ixzz2NmXkOdcy

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/17/jol-hails-warhorse-giorgos

Jol Hails 'Warhorse' Giorgos

Sunday 17 March 2013 09:00

Martin Jol has hailed the impact 'old warhorse' Giorgos Karagounis has made in his time at Fulham.

The Greek midfielder signed for the Whites on a free transfer in January and, despite his advancing years, has been a model of consistency in the centre of the park, scoring twice in 19 appearances.

The 36-year-old is expected to keep his spot at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday (3pm) when his experience could prove invaluable against Andre Villas-Boas' in-form side.

"We signed him outside of the transfer window on a free," said Jol. "It was a gamble at the time. We'd had to let Mousa Dembélé go because of his clause and Clint Dempsey had gone and the window was closed.

"There were two players [available] outside of the window – Thomas Hitzlsperger, who's now at Everton, and Karagounis. We took Giorgos and we've never looked back.

"He's an old warhouse; he's a bit like Danny Murphy in that he's dedicated and gives everything. He's got a big heart and is one of the players I'm very pleased with."

Karagounis' easy adjustment to life in the Barclays Premier League has been all the more important for Fulham in the continued absence of Mahamadou Diarra.

The Mali international has played just eight games this term and hasn't featured since the 3-0 loss to Tottenham in early December due to an ongoing knee complaint, an injury Jol expects to sideline the midfielder for a further couple of months.

"He had an operation and came back and then had a little operation again," Jol stated. "It's still a niggling thing and it's painful so we will go back to the surgeon and ask for different advice. I think it will be complicated without an operation to get him going and get him fit. I think he will be out for the next couple of months."

Jol believes Diarra's absence has been felt by Fulham, adding: "He was the main man when he came last season. He gave us a boost and was one of the most important players. But this season, he had two or three little problems, especially with his knee, and that was a big issue for us. We had to chop and change and play other players, hoping that he would come back.

"He's promised me he'll come back and he's 32, so why not? He said he had a problem with his other knee in the past which was much worse and now that's fine."

Meanwhile, Jol admits his side will need to group together in an attempt to try and nullify the threat of Gareth Bale at Spurs on Sunday.

The Welshman is one of the best players in world football right now, hitting 22 goals in all competitions for Spurs this term, and Jol said: "He can score from deep if you try to mark him in midfield. He can score from crosses. He can stretch the defence and use his speed. It is not easy to get a solution but we know his strengths and we will try and do something about it.

"You can play with a number four and try to mark him but he plays on the left, the right, he drifts. He can be a second striker so it's not easy to try to do something with your centre-backs or midfield – it's a collective thing to eliminate his strengths. It's not easy but we will give it a go.

"The main thing is to try to focus on your own qualities. You have to score a goal at White Hart Lane as otherwise you might end up with nothing."