watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFr: Its official, the FA is a joke.

Started by cottage cheese, March 19, 2013, 04:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cottage cheese

How they can even justify that tackle on Sunday and not deem any further action. The fact they have worded it as "they wish to not re-ref games" actually makes me angry. Already O'driscoll this weekend has been cited for a stamp in the Rugby which I hold in the same regards as Connors takle as that could end someones career.

Whats worse is that he linesman even saw the tackle and thought not to take any further action....

FFC1987

I actually think the FA would have been a bigger joke in taking action. From what I saw it was a terrible challenge with (from what character references have said) with my malice. Things in football happen and people get caught and some escape, its all part of the magical game. I like the fact the FA took this stance and didn't buckle to pressure. Maybe this will create a revolution to how things should change but with the current rules, they did it by the book.

epsomraver

Sorry, I think they are right, he had every right to challenge, he got the ball , the other player pulled out and he followed through and caught him, it happens, it is a contact sport last time I looked.

MJG

Quote from: cottage cheese on March 19, 2013, 04:56:24 PM

Whats worse is that he linesman even saw the tackle and thought not to take any further action....
if you look at the view lineaments had it was not great. Yes he saw the two players clearly but the newcastle player was side on and the tackle was actually hidden behind the player. You can see the wigan player go in but you can't see the contact from where the linesman is. The player goes down but do you then guess that the tackle was bad?

alfie

Quote from: epsomraver on March 19, 2013, 05:36:02 PM
Sorry, I think they are right, he had every right to challenge, he got the ball , the other player pulled out and he followed through and caught him, it happens, it is a contact sport last time I looked.

You are correct he did have every right to make a challenge, but from what i saw he was well over the top at knee level with studs full on inpact. Dangerous tackle in my opinion.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

leonffc

Quote from: alfie on March 19, 2013, 07:13:52 PM

You are correct he did have every right to make a challenge, but from what i saw he was well over the top at knee level with studs full on inpact. Dangerous tackle in my opinion.

I thought he had a right to go for it, and he just got the ball but his momentum caught the opponent badly. In real time and with the views the officials had I can see why they thought it was nothing more than a strong challenge.
I'm a bit sick of the media reaction to it though. He's a young lad that has made a mistake, no malice, just an ill timed tackle and all we have heard since is 'that tackle' this and 'that tackle' that.

What I find funny is that where this was clearly an accident the media want him slaughtered over it. Yet Nani clearly extended his leg at point of contact when he (accidently at first) caught the player in the chest and was sent off against Madrid but the media are up in arms because it was unjust and never a red!

God The Mechanic

It was WAY too high to be an acceptable challenge.  If you can't make a tackle without taking a player out almost waist high, then don't make the tackle.  Nothing to do with getting the ball first or not, and he only got the slightest of touches on it.

epsomraver

How can it be waist high when he caught the side of his knee? fp.gif

God The Mechanic

Quote from: epsomraver on March 19, 2013, 08:19:05 PM
How can it be waist high when he caught the side of his knee? fp.gif

Almost ;)

But it doesn't mean it wasn't way too high, and reckless in a negligent if not malicious way.

Baider

And in turn they fine Zaha and ban him for one game for giving Leeds fans the finger. The FA really don't do themselves any favours.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

I think the FA got is spot on.  In my opinion it was a terrible foul worthy of a red card.  However, the ref saw the challenge and from his point of view it wasn't a foul.

It is not the FA's job to referee a game, we have a ref for that.  If the ref missed the challenge, it would be fair enough for the FA to act but as he didn't, it would just undermine all refs, if the FA overturned his decision.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on March 19, 2013, 08:56:10 PM
I think the FA got is spot on.  In my opinion it was a terrible foul worthy of a red card.  However, the ref saw the challenge and from his point of view it wasn't a foul.

It is not the FA's job to referee a game, we have a ref for that.  If the ref missed the challenge, it would be fair enough for the FA to act but as he didn't, it would just undermine all refs, if the FA overturned his decision.

I personally feel that doing nothing undermines the refs more than acting afterwards on something they saw, and clearly got wrong.  It's basically saying that they can do pretty much whatever they damn well please, and the only punishment that they face is to have the opportunity to cock up a few decisions in a lower league the next week.

There is NOTHING wrong with getting things wrong.  I don't think refs should come out after games and explain decisions, but I reckon the whole Respect movement would garner so much more support if the powers that be stopped demanding that refs be respected, and assisted them in commanding the respect that they need to do their jobs.

Enter the Frei

Quote from: MJG on March 19, 2013, 07:09:29 PM

if you look at the view lineaments had it was not great. Yes he saw the two players clearly but the newcastle player was side on and the tackle was actually hidden behind the player. You can see the wigan player go in but you can't see the contact from where the linesman is. The player goes down but do you then guess that the tackle was bad?

The linesman had a completely clear view of it. It was the ref who's view was obscured by the Newcastle player. To be honest I can't believe the linesman didn't say anything during the game, from his viewpoint it looked like an absolute horror challenge (which it was, but it looked Haalendesque).

nose

halsey is useless, that is the first issue.
second, the rules are clear on reckless play and that tackle was reckless, intent is nothing to do with it. It's rather like a driver that has passed his test but dosen't concentrate when driving and causes accidents, he needs to be banned or re-trained, in driving it is driving without due care and attention. i9n football it is no different, it is not paying due regard to the safety of the opponent. If halsey missed it but we have now all seen it then he should be banned.
And nani was sent off for less, so if i was a ref what am i to do with the next reckless incident..... apparently the fa say it's ok.

The FA as usual have fouled up, they are totally useless like Mr halsey

MJG

Quote from: Enter the Frei on March 19, 2013, 09:26:44 PM
Quote from: MJG on March 19, 2013, 07:09:29 PM

The linesman had a completely clear view of it. It was the ref who's view was obscured by the Newcastle player. To be honest I can't believe the linesman didn't say anything during the game, from his viewpoint it looked like an absolute horror challenge (which it was, but it looked Haalendesque).
look at the camera view which shows from behind the linesmen. You will see that the actual contact and how high it was is difficult for him to see. It it had been to the right side of the Newcastle player then he would have had a clearer view.

FFC1987

Quote from: nose on March 19, 2013, 09:29:53 PM
second, the rules are clear on reckless play and that tackle was reckless, intent is nothing to do with it. It's rather like a driver that has passed his test but dosen't concentrate when driving and causes accidents, he needs to be banned or re-trained, in driving it is driving without due care and attention. i9n football it is no different, it is not paying due regard to the safety of the opponent. If halsey missed it but we have now all seen it then he should be banned.
And nani was sent off for less, so if i was a ref what am i to do with the next reckless incident..... apparently the fa say it's ok.

I'll quote you in the FA's defence 'the rules are clear'. They have acted in accordance to the laws they set down and acting further upon this would be acting viligently against these laws. Regardless of what Newcastle feel and what we feel about the challenge, they acted within the laws they enforced and I'm glad there not corrupt enough to break the rules due t peer pressure from a fickle media circuit.

nose

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 20, 2013, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: nose on March 19, 2013, 09:29:53 PM

I'll quote you in the FA's defence 'the rules are clear'. They have acted in accordance to the laws they set down and acting further upon this would be acting viligently against these laws. Regardless of what Newcastle feel and what we feel about the challenge, they acted within the laws they enforced and I'm glad there not corrupt enough to break the rules due t peer pressure from a fickle media circuit.

Well I recently had cause to read the FIFA rules of the game and agree or disagree they are clear, even if some of the interpretations are odd, the challenge merited a straight red card, the ref never saw it otherwise he would have given a red card and if he thought otherwise he should not officiate again, the FIFA rule is that clear regarding reckless challenges. What I wasn't certain was what rules the FA are referring to, they have plenty of precedent to have taken retrospective action and in any event, common sense should always prevail. I am totally unclear what rule the FA is referring to and I would like to see what they are talking about. Like any body of authority, their overiding responsibility is a duty of care and in that they have singularly failed.

I don't believe this is a media witch hunt ( and I have no love of them either), but the tackle was clearly reckless with undue care and attention, if I was playing and he would have caught me like that I would expect action to be taken, otherwise really villains will point to this incident and say the precedent was no action let us lunge for anything!

As far as the player himself is concerned, he may be a perfectly decent man and no ill intent meant BUT it was a shocking challenge and his reckless action substantially endangered the opponent.

Lighthouse

Nobody can argue it wasn't a horrible tackle. But I doubt that it was anything but a fair attempt to go for the ball that went wrong. The ref misssed it.

But what should the FA do and what are the rules? One week a player is suspended for an off the ball incident the ref misses at the time. But a foul the ref misses at the time is not punished as the FA doesn't want to re referee the game. Although clearly they do when players are punished for off the ball incidents.

I don't like the FA becoming involved but is it only off the ball attacks they punish? If thems the rules then they did the right thing.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

Wigan vs Newcastle shocking tackle

A bit reckless really. Could have easily ended the other player's career.