more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (21/03/13)

Started by White Noise, March 21, 2013, 08:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Hughes seeks reward for hard work

Aaron Hughes says a good result for Northern Ireland against Russia on Friday night would be just reward for the hard work put in by the squad since Michael O'Neill took over as manager last year.

The former NI skipper expects a tough test against the Russians, who are unbeaten in the World Cup qualifying campaign so far.

Northern then play Israel at Windsor Park on Tuesday, 26 March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21866334

White Noise

An apology to Philippe Senderos

Philippe, I am sorry for the way I have treated you over the past couple of years. I'm sorry for my tired looks of resignation every time I saw your name on the teamsheet and for the pangs of fear induced by your every touch. I am sorry for the terror invoked in me when you played well; a panic borne out of the absolute certainty that the better you play, the bigger the mistake you are likely to make.

Don't get me wrong, you still frighten me. You still have it in you to do a worryingly good impression of Geneva's answer to Titus Bramble. You still have one rather significant error in you every game. However, you are also a very decent central defender. You may have the turning circle of a 430 bus that traverses the Fulham Palace Road, your second touch may often be a tackle, and you still have the ability to look as flustered as a hen unsure of its chicks' whereabouts, but you have added real steel to the team since your recall to the side.

You have improved as a player, you have matured as a defender, and you now provide a palpable and consistent contribution to this Fulham team. In previous years that had not been the case. The team now looks stronger for your inclusion. You are now a decision maker rather than an indecision maker. Of course, you still have your limitations; your capacity to drop a clanger every 90 minutes remains understandably infuriating and your weakness when isolated one-on-one is an irrevocable flaw. But every player has their weaknesses. It is those players who adapt and allow for their weaknesses that achieve the most.

You are still making those mistakes; Wayne Rooney's winner at the Cottage in January, the penalty away at Sunderland, to name but a few. However, you are making up for those errors with the rest of your contribution. You are showing leadership qualities, you are finally taking responsibility for your actions, making bolder decisions with regards to when to press, when to drop back, when to charge forwards. You are finally proving the seasoned naysayers, like me, wrong; good on you.

I'm afraid that it will take some time, and indeed therapy, to rid myself of the Senderos-inspired shudders that accompany watching you play for Fulham, but I'll gladly say that you have won me over.

Published by: Henry Hoare

on 20 March 2013

Read more: http://pickourteam.com/premierleague/fulham/news/20-03-2013/an-apology-to-philippe-senderos/822260#ixzz2O7NAO0fh

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/20/enoh-update

Enoh on Life in SW6

Wednesday 20 March 2013 10:29

After making his Fulham bow at White Hart Lane, Eyong Enoh discusses life at Craven Cottage following his January loan move from Ajax Amsterdam.

The Whites' latest debutant, Eyong Enoh, talks to Fulham TV

White Noise

http://takefootball.com/?p=2176

Jol does enough to trigger contract extension at Fulham

Premier League

Martin Jol will remain in charge of Fulham next season.

The affable Dutchman was appointed as Craven Cottage boss in the summer of 2011, after Mark Hughes resigned his position after just one season at the helm. Last term he led the Londoners to a ninth place finish, with an accumulation of 52 points.

This season, the Cottagers currently lie in tenth spot on 36 points with eight games remaining, despite losing two key men – Clint Dempsey and Moussa Dembele – to Tottenham Hotspur, Jol's former club, during the summer window. Other first team regulars, including Danny Murphy, Andrew Johnson and loanee Pavel Pogrebnyak, also left.

The 57-year-old countered against these departures by signing the likes of Dimitar Berbatov, Hugo Rodallega, Mladen Petric, Sascha Riether, and Ashkan Dejagah, all of whom have gone on to feature heavily. In January, he further boosted his options by adding four players on loan, including Arsenal's Emmanuel Frimpong, and Urby Emanuelson of Milan.

According to The Guardian, Jol has been told that the board have triggered a 12-month extension to his contract, which was inserted when he agreed a two-year deal on his arrival almost two years ago. It is believed the club actually informed him of this decision some time ago, but they have declined to publicly confirm this as they feel such an announcement unnecessary.

One of the priorities facing the former Spurs coach in the coming weeks will be to tie down Brede Hangeland, the Norway international, to a new contract. The defender is due to become a free agent at the end of the season and is likely to have several options, but Jol hopes to persuade him to remain at the club he joined back in January 2008.

White Noise

http://www.sportal.com.au/football-news-display/schwarzer-cup-bid-on-line-against-oman-226883

Schwarzer: Cup bid on line against Oman

Sportal

Last Updated 21/03/2013 7:38 PM

Stand-in captain Mark Schwarzer says it will be a 'disaster' if the Socceroos do not pick up three points against Oman.

Stand-in captain Mark Schwarzer says it will be a 'disaster' if the Socceroos do not pick up three points against Oman.

Australia takes on Oman in Tuesday's World Cup qualifier in Sydney but is only just holding on to second spot in Group B.

First and second positions guarantee automatic qualification with the Socceroos under threat from Oman, Iraq and Jordan after Japan has all but secured top position.

Australia, Iraq and Oman are level on five points but the Socceroos have a better goal difference and a game in hand.

"(The Oman game is) a pivotal part of our campaign and we need to pick up three points and any less than three points will be a disaster for us," Schwarzer said.

"We know in general what we are up against and we've obviously played (Oman) on a number of occasions over the years.

"Even though our record is pretty good against them, you still can't take them for granted because they are a country that is emerging and they are going to do whatever they possibly can to try and be one of the teams that qualifies for Brazil 2014."

The 40-year-old goalkeeper was wary of the improvement that the Arab state has had over the past few years.

"They're a talented side and they've got some skilful individual players," Schwarzer said.

"I know the goalkeeper (Ali-Al Habsi) well, who plays for Wigan in the Premiership and I've been able to see him quite a lot over the years.

"I think they're definitely one of the emerging Arab nations in football and they've continuously, consistently got to the final stages of World Cup qualifying campaigns since we've been in Asia.

"We know that they're a team that is getting more and more organised as the years go on and also becoming a better team.

The two teams last met back in June in Muscat, where the Socceroos escaped with a 0-0 draw in oppressive conditions and Schwarzer defended the performance of the side.

"It was one of those games I don't think I'm going to forget for a very, very long time," he said.

"The conditions were horrendous and that's probably the best way to explain them.

"I think it's always difficult from afar watching on a TV screen when you see blue skies and the sun shining and everyone thinks its great conditions to play in.

"It was always a very tall order but in hindsight I think the way we performed was very admirable and I think we deserved to at least come away with a point and overall, because of the condition, we were relatively happy with the result."

The Socceroos snuck a 2-1 victory against Iraq in their last World Cup qualifier in October and the Fulham custodian is hoping that the result can be repeated on Tuesday night.

"Hopefully, (the game) will be a little more comfortable but it's going to be a very tough task for us and as players we are all 100 percent focused on performing and doing our job and preparing for the game on Tuesday," Schwarzer said.

"I think what's also important is how we players play as a team.

"We need to be concerned about the opposition and pay them respect and understand their qualities but we also need to work on our qualities and make sure we are on top of our game and we create them problems."

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/21/international-whites

International Whites

Thursday 21 March 2013 09:00

In the European section of the FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, Northern Ireland face a tough challenge when they welcome runaway Group F leaders Russia to Windsor Park, and Aaron Hughes is in the squad for the visit of Fabio Capello's side. Chris Baird is suspended for Friday's match, but he will be available for Tuesday's game against Israel, which is also in Belfast.

Brede Hangeland and John Arne Riise are both expected to start for Norway in Oslo when they face Albania in Group E on Friday. The Nordic side currently sit second in the standings and will be optimistic of putting some distance between themselves and the Albanians, who are one point behind in third.

Having scored at Craven Cottage on his last run-out for the national side, Mladen Petrić retains his place in the Croatia squad for their qualifying double-header in Group A. First up is a home clash in Zagreb against third-placed Serbia on Friday, before returning to the UK to face Chris Coleman's Wales at the Liberty Stadium on Tuesday.

Giorgos Karagounis will hope to transfer his good Barclays Premier League form to the international stage when Greece travel to Bosnia for a top-versus-second clash on Friday. It's currently only goal difference that separates the former European Champions from leaders Bosnia in Group G.

Philippe Senderos has been a solid part of the Fulham side that has conceded just two goals in four games and the centre-back has been rewarded with a recall to the Switzerland squad. They travel to Nicosia to face Cyprus on Saturday looking to extend their lead at the summit of Group E.

Having recovered from injury, Kerim Frei will now look to build on his first cap for Turkey in their qualifiers against Andorra and Hungary. The Turkish have struggled so far in Group D and currently occupy fourth position. They travel to Andorra on Friday, before welcoming the Hungarians to Istanbul on Tuesday.

Right-back Stanislav Manolev and Bulgaria have a chance to close the gap on Group B leaders Italy when they take on Malta in Sofia on Friday, before they face a more testing encounter away to Denmark the following Tuesday.

Young goalkeeper Jesse Joronen is in the Finland squad preparing to take on current World and European Champions Spain in Gijon on Friday. He will then meet up with the Under-21 side for their friendly match in Hungary on Tuesday.

Out-on-loan winger Alexander Kačaniklić keeps his place in the Sweden squad as they prepare for a crucial qualifying match with the Republic of Ireland in Solna on Friday. Only a point separates the two sides in Group C and a win would give the victors a huge boost in their efforts to catch current leaders Germany. The Swedes then face Slovakia in a friendly match four days later.

In other World Cup Qualifiers across the globe, Emmanuel Frimpong could realise his dream of representing Ghana when they host Sudan in Kumasi on Sunday. The midfielder had previously represented England at youth level but has since switched allegiance to his country of birth.

In Sydney, Mark Schwarzer and Australia will hope to build on their win over Iraq back in October when they face Oman on Tuesday. Having failed to win any of their opening three matches in the Asian Qualifying section, the Socceroos now sit eight points behind Japan in Group B, although they do have a game in hand.

Bryan Ruiz is also in World Cup qualifying action as Costa Rica embark on two testing matches in the North, Central America and Caribbean section. First up is a trip to the States to take on Jürgen Klinsmann's men, before they host Jamaica in San José.

Away from the World Cup, Iran continue with their quest to qualify for the 2015 AFC Asian Cup when they travel to Kuwait for Tuesday's match. Ashkan Dejagah was a nuisance in their first outing – a comprehensive 5-0 victory over Lebanon – and the in-form winger is in the squad once again.

Neil Etheridge has three games in five days as the Philippines compete in their AFC Challenge Cup 2014 qualifiers. Brunei, Cambodia and Turkmenistan are the opponents for the Azkals.

Omri Altman has been called up to the Israel Under-21 squad for friendly matches against the Netherlands and Germany, while Lasse Vigen Christensen will hope to be in the Denmark Under-19 side that have a friendly match in France. Sean Kavanagh could also be in Under-19 action following his call-up to the Republic of Ireland squad for their clash with Gibraltar in Malaga.

Jack Grimmer has already represented Scotland Under-19s this week as he played the full 90 minutes of their impressive comeback against Sweden in Ayr. The away side stormed into a 2-0 lead, only for the Scots to win the match 3-2.

White Noise

Hangeland happy at Fulham, insists agent

By Alex Shaw | Thursday, March 21, 2013

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland could yet sign a new contract at the club, according to his agent.

Hangeland's current deal expires at the end of the season and he will be available for nothing.

Martin Jol has spoken publicly about his desire to keep the centre-back at Craven Cottage but interested clubs are circling.

The 31-year-old Norway international, however, could remain at Fulham with more talks over a new deal planned.

"Things can happen in a month or three months", agent Rune Hauge said. "Brede is happy in Fulham, and the club is happy with him."

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/130321/hangeland-happy-fulham-insists-agent-194133#ixzz2OBm96r2I

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/3/21/4131294/fulhams-steve-sidwell-formidable-partnership-giorgos-karagounis

Fulham's Sidwell forms formidable partnership with Karagounis

By Kristian Balkinon Mar 21 2013

Ian Walton

Our 'special one Iniesta' tells the official website of his admiration for the Greek international

These are happy times as Craven Cottage right now, having not lost in four matches and only conceding two goals in the process.

Steve Sidwell has been present throughout this upturn in form, developing a formidable partnership with Giorgos Karagounis in central midfield.

Sidwell, now 30, sits a little deeper than his Greek team mate, protecting a back four that, recently, has looked impenetrable. While it's that rear line that will receive the credit, though, something must be said for the role our special one Iniesta plays.

He's no traditional defensive midfielder and yet he still ticks all the boxes. The former Chelsea man is resilient, strong in a tackle and tactically aware of an opponents' movement.

And he's not afraid to admit that, individually, his performances have been of a particularly high calibre.

"I'd say that probably throughout the whole season I've been happy with my form and the team's form in the games that I've played," the midfielder told fulhamfc.com.

"It's important now as we approach the final run-in that we keep that consistency up and then finish on a high."

But Sidwell knows that a lot of credit must go to Karagounis, too. The 36 year-old has proved himself invaluable to Fulham, demonstrating a work rate you wouldn't expect in a 25 year-old, never mind a player that is, undoubtedly, in the twilight of his career.

"You can always learn from players like Giorgos," Sidwell continued.

"He's been around the block, he's the highest-capped player for Greece, he's played in big competitions and he's won big competitions.

"Playing with him has been great, as well as it obviously has been with the other players that we've got. We've got experience throughout the team and that's great to learn from.

"Giorgos is playing well. He's come in and some people probably raised an eyebrow because of his age but obviously his quality's showed and that's the most important thing. If you're doing well on the pitch then you're going to keep playing, and he's done that."

And long may it continue. This time last year, if the proposition was put forward that Moussa Dembele and Danny Murphy would leave, as well as Mahamadou Diarra being struck down with injury, many would have written off our season some time ago.

But Sidwell and Karagounis have held fort superbly and, thanks to some decent results of late, are being noticed for their worth.

White Noise

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/03/21/13/azkals-coach-urges-etheridges-fulham-exit

Azkals coach urges Etheridge's Fulham exit

By Edward Lao, ABS-CBN Europe News Bureau

Posted at 03/21/2013 8:09 PM | Updated as of 03/21/2013 8:09 PM

MANILA, Philippines -- Azkals goalkeeping coach Pascal Zuberbühler is urging Neil Etheridge to leave English Premier League (EPL) side Fulham FC.

The 23-year old's contract is up at the end of the 2012-2013 season and the ex-Swiss international player thinks it is time for Etheridge to seek new pastures.

The Philippines' first choice stopper has been at Craven Cottage since 2006, but has yet to make his mark on the West London club's first team.

The British-Pinoy, currently second behind Australian veteran Mark Schwarzer, has not played an EPL game and only made his professional league debut earlier this season during a loan spell at League Two outfit Bristol Rovers FC.

Zuberbühler, who Etheridge describes as "a father figure," used to play and coach at Fulham. The 42-year old is concerned about the development of his protege, who he has watched for seven years.

"When I was the goalkeeping coach for three years at Fulham I trained a lot with Neil, but he had a few years when he was a little bit behind," explained Zuberbuhler, who collected 51 caps for Switzerland and competed in both the European Championships and World Cup.

"For me, a keeper aged 20-21 should already be playing some games, even if it's for a third division club in England, or a Championship club. This is important. He's now 23 and he should really be playing games," he said.

Last year's month-long spell at Bristol City was the first time Etheridge has enjoyed a run of successive appearances.

Etheridge has already notched 39 caps for the Azkals, but only made 13 club appearances since 2008 -- one for Fulham in the Europa League and 12 for Bristol Rovers.

Despite a shortage of playing time, Zuberbühler still believes Etheridge has what it takes.

"I speak a lot with Neil. He is a very good goalkeeper. He has a sharpness -- everything to be a good goalkeeper, but he needs games. That's the next important step for him," the Swiss said.

"This is now a mental process because you don't need to train him a lot anymore -- he already knows about football and goalkeeping. Now it's just about fine-tuning him.

"If he concedes a bad goal, what is his reaction and how does he present himself for the next game? Is he mentally ready?

"For me it's clear. If he were to leave Fulham I think it would be the best thing. Neil needs to play games and not sit on the bench of a Premier League club," said Zuberbühler, who has represented seven European sides across his 19 year professional career.

"I'm looking forward for Neil to try and find a good club where he's the number one and where he plays game after game, after game after game.

"He has never played a whole season at a football club. He has never played games for half a year. He only goes on loan for six or seven games before Fulham recall him.

"If he wants to keep going in the right direction then he needs to play games."

Zuberbühler was brought in by the Philippine Football Federation as a goalkeeping coach for their upcoming 2014 AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers, due to run from March 22-26 at the Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila.

The Philippine Azkals are pooled in Group E alongside Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia and Turkmenistan.

The Pinoys were supposed to open their campaign against Brunei, but the Sultanate recently withdrew from the four-nation tournament citing "unavoidable circumstances".

Etheridge will miss the Azkals' first fixture due to an AFC ban handed down for shouting profanities during the Philippines' third-place decider against Palestine in the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/-/media/PlayerActionShots/2012-13/Players/Steve%20Sidwell/PA-16067418.ashx?w=300&h=400

Finish On A High

Thursday 21 March 2013 10:20

Steve Sidwell wants Fulham to keep the momentum gained from our recent matches going until the end of the campaign.

The combative midfielder has played every minute of our recent four match unbeaten run, and has done a stellar job of protecting his defence with only two goals – one of which was from the penalty spot – conceded during that period.

"I'd say that probably throughout the whole season I've been happy with my form and the team's form in the games that I've played," Steve told fulhamfc.com. "It's important now as we approach the final run-in that we keep that consistency up and then finish on a high.

"All of our remaining games are very tough. The whole run-in we've got between now and the end of the season includes some really tough ones so it's going to be hard but we've hit a bit of form now so hopefully we can continue that and finish the campaign strongly."

Martin Jol's current preferred pairing in the middle of the park is Sidwell and 36-year-old Giorgos Karagounis. The industrious duo have impressed alongside one another and our special one Iniesta has enjoyed playing with a man of the European Championship winner's calibre.

"You can always learn from players like Giorgos," he said. "He's been around the block, he's the highest-capped player for Greece, he's played in big competitions and he's won big competitions.

"Playing with him has been great, as well as it obviously has been with the other players that we've got. We've got experience throughout the team and that's great to learn from.

"Giorgos is playing well. He's come in and some people probably raised an eyebrow because of his age but obviously his quality's showed and that's the most important thing. If you're doing well on the pitch then you're going to keep playing, and he's done that."

The Whites' next outing isn't until Easter Monday (8pm), but it's a fixture that will have fans champing at the bit as we seek redemption against Queens Park Rangers for the painful 2-1 loss at Loftus Road in December.

Fulham were well below par on that afternoon in West London and Sidwell admits the performance just wasn't good enough.

"You want revenge because that game, for me, was probably the most disappointing match of the whole season," he admitted. "It was the manner in which we didn't turn up and didn't show enough commitment.

"It's time, hopefully, to get one back over them but it's just another game at the end of the day. Obviously it's important to win for the fans but it's also important that we put in a good performance and come away with a decent result."