watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (23/03/13)

Started by White Noise, March 23, 2013, 08:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-transfers-brede-hangelands-agent-1779327

Wait problem: Brede Hangeland's agent warns Fulham as contract talks drag on.. and on

22 Mar 2013 22:30       

Defender's deal runs out in the summer and "the longer it takes to reach an agreement, the chance that he'll stay is decreasing"

Fulham captain Brede Hangeland's future at the club has been thrown into fresh doubt.

The out-of-contract defender has been stalling on a new deal all season.

Hangeland, 31, is in danger of walking away for nothing - a move that could spark a Craven Cottage exodus.

Manager Martin Jol claimed earlier this month that the Norway defender was on the brink of penning a new deal with the west Londoners.

So the latest stalemate will worry Jol - and only add to his fears of further Fulham departures.

Mark Schwarzer, Sasha Riether and Mladen Petric are all in danger of following Hangeland out of the door in the summer.

Hangeland's agent, Rune Hauge, said: "We are still negotiating. We will see in one or three months.

"But the longer it takes to reach an agreement, the chance that he will stay is decreasing."

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/03/22/82029-33040790/

Jol positive about Fulham prospects

By Yann Tear

Mar 22 2013

MARTIN Jol insist he is not disappointed by the failure of any of his 'young brigade' to nail down a regular first-team spot this season.

On his arrival at Fulham, the Dutchman set great store by his desire to infuse an ageing team with youth, and the season started with high hopes for Alex Kacaniklic, Matthew Briggs and Pajtim Kasami.

But the gifted Kacaniklic has gone out on loan again to Burnley and Briggs is at Watford, having been farmed out to a succession of clubs, while Kasami has been shuffled off to Lucerne in Switzerland.

Ironically, only last week Jol expressed his fear of being low on numbers, saying: "I don't want to be in a situation of being short of players. I don't want to take any risks, so it's better to have more players than less players."

Even more galling for them is they have effectively been replaced by a fresh influx of loan players in January – Urby Emanuelson, Eyong Enoh and Stanislav Manolev – and it is clear the big success stories have been experienced newcomers Sascha Riether and Giorgos Karagounis.

But the Whites boss says we should not read too much into that.

"No, I'm not disappointed with these youngsters," he said.

"Kaka [Kacaniklic] I felt did ever so well for example, and it is not a matter of being disappointed.

"I'm very pleased with him and he will probably be the number one in the future in that position.

"But I had Damien Duff playing there, who was maybe a bit more productive.

"If you look at Damien's stats as well, they are better – seven assists and three goals. Kaka was good, but you need assists."

Jol added: "I would say, though, that he's young and Briggs is the same. I've got John Arne Riise, but I've also got Kieran Richardson, so he [Briggs] needs games.

"It's an opportunity for other managers when they call and say, 'Please give me Briggs,' and by helping them, we help ourselves."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fulham-fc/2013/03/22/82029-33040790/#ixzz2OLeIe6OP

White Noise

KEVIN QUIGLEY: My image of the week - Duff caught poking out his tongue while getting lashed by the rain at White Hart Lane

By Kevin Quigley

PUBLISHED: 12:36, 22 March 2013  | UPDATED: 13:16, 22 March 2013 

This week I have had the fortune of covering a vast amount of different events, from Chelsea v Steaua Bucharest to England training and also Tottenham at home to Fulham.

Below you can see a showreel of different pictures I have taken this week. But it may come as a suprise which shot I have chosen as my picture of the week as it is not a what you would call an 'A-list' name or even a big moment in a game.

It is of Fulham's Damien Duff, and it was pouring with rain at White Hart Lane - every photographer's nightmare as it ruins your equipment and of course soaks you - but on this occasion it provided a nice picture.

I slowed my shutter speed down to 1/60th of a second so I could show the rain and hopefully a picture of Gareth Bale taking a corner, when I noticed Duff had stuck out his tongue out. Although Fulham won and it doesn't sum up the game, it's a nice 'seasonal' frame.

You can leave feedback below or contact me on Twitter @kevinquigley_dm

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2297505/Damien-Duff-rain-White-Hart-Lane--KEVIN-QUIGLEY-My-image-week.html#ixzz2OLelMkOE

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/22/hyndmans-homecoming

Hyndman's Homecoming

Friday 22 March 2013 10:00

American teenager Emerson Hyndman has impressed in his short time at Fulham so far, becoming a key player for our Under-18s and a bright prospect for the future. As he and his teammates embark to America for the Dr Pepper Dallas Cup, we caught up with the youngster ahead of one of youth football's most prestigious tournaments.

Emerson, you left the States in order to pursue your dream of playing football in one of Europe's biggest leagues. Having signed for Fulham, how has the move worked out for you so far?

I think it's been great so far, I'm really enjoying my time in England. When I first came over it was tough, I can't deny that, because there was so much to take in. But it had been my ambition to play in Europe for a very long time, so I was used to the fact that my life would be very different. There was a period of adjustment, but after a couple of months, Fulham just felt like my new home. The Academy looks after us boys, they took me in and made me feel very comfortable from the start which has allowed me to concentrate on my football.

So much so, you have impressed greatly this term and your form for the Under-18s saw you rewarded with inclusion in First Team training duties. What has that been like?

Well, first of all, it's just such an incredible experience to be working with the Manager and senior players. I didn't think that it would happen that quickly, but it has, and I'm very thankful of that. I know I have a long way to go before I'm training with them on a permanent basis, though, but it has given me another focus. I've trained with the First Team a few times now, and in football, it's all about impressing someone.

Of course, you did train with the senior players at your former club FC Dallas didn't you?

I did yes, and that was another great experience. I think I was about 14 or 15 when that happened, so I was even younger than I am now. I turn 17 next month, so it's nice to have had moments like that. When you train with older players, who are quicker and stronger, you have to raise your game even further. It's tough, but I love the challenge it brings. 

To further underline what a positive season it has been for you personally, you've also lined up for USA Under-18s as well haven't you?

I have, and representing my country is something I love doing. Anyone that gets the chance to do the same will agree – it's a special occasion. It's always something that I was hopeful of achieving, and the dream is to one day play for the senior USA team. I have to be playing well and training hard at Fulham, though, but all in all, it's been a good season so far.

As mentioned, your early path in football was spent in Dallas, where there is a real Mexican influence. Has that stood you in good stead at Fulham?

I think it has, because Fulham is a club that encourages skill and technical ability. The Mexican influence had a big affect on me; it's how I learned to move the ball in tight situations, turn opponents and link possession. That's the kind of football that I'm used to, it's all about creativity. Thankfully, Fulham appreciate those attributes, and if anything, have helped to develop it further.

You'll be part of the Under-19 squad that take part in the 2012/13 Dr Pepper Dallas Cup which kicks off on Sunday. You must be excited about returning to your home city?

Of course, it's one of the best tournaments in youth football, with teams from all over the world taking part. I played in it when I was younger with my team in Dallas, and always enjoyed being involved. The likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea have all entered over the years, as have Real Madrid, AC Milan, Paris St Germain and Ajax. You also get a lot of Brazilian, Argentine and Mexican teams too. So many top players featured when they were young, like Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, David Beckham, Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney. I remember watching the older boys in the elite groups when I was young and thinking how good the players were and that one day I'd love to be part of that – now I have that chance. The competition is fierce, but hopefully we can show what we're capable of.

And how have you described Dallas a location to your teammates and coaches?

I love Dallas, it's my home city. I'm looking forward to their visit and hopefully they will like it. Obviously, we're going there to play football and to try and bring a trophy back with us – so it's serious business. It's a very welcoming place, though, and I'm sure we'll receive a warm welcome. The weather should be good too, so it will be nice to see a bit of sun.

Fulham have a big following in the States, and that connection has largely come as a result of a number of your countrymen lining up for the Whites...

That's true, there have been quite a few Americans that have pulled on the Fulham shirt and run out at the Cottage and one day it would be nice to do the same. Kasey Keller, Brian McBride, Carlos Bocanegra, Eddie Johnson and, more recently, Clint Dempsey have all played here. Dempsey is possibly the most successful American player ever, so he's a tough act to follow. It's funny how I'm the only American player on the Club's books now, but I aspire to be just like those guys – to play for the First Team would be a dream.   

And finally, Emerson, your grandfather Schellas Hyndman is of course one of America's most respected coaches isn't he? He currently oversees FC Dallas in the MLS...

That's right, and as a family we're very proud of him. He was a very successful college coach and then in 2008 he was made head coach at FC Dallas. In 2010 they got to the MLS Cup Final, which was massive, although, unfortunately they lost to Colorado Rapids. We have a great relationship and he gives me a lot of advice. He once said that when I'm not training, someone else will be. That basically means that if you stand still, someone will overtake you.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/23/next-at-home-qpr

Next at Home: QPR

Saturday 23 March 2013 09:00

Our next home game is against Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage on Monday 1st April (8pm).

There's still time for you to join us under the floodlights and cheer on the Whites in this local derby.

Match tickets are available on General Sale (maximum six per person) and can be purchased online or by calling 0843 208 1234 (Option 1).

If you want to make your matchday extra special, there's a number of Hospitality Packages still available with prices starting from just £85 (+VAT) per person. Find out more online.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/23/huw-jennings-dallas-cup

Dallas Cup Preview

Saturday 23 March 2013 09:00

Having impressed domestically in recent seasons, Fulham's Academy will look to make their mark internationally with their involvement in the prestigious Dr Pepper Dallas Cup. Academy Director Huw Jennings gives us the lowdown on the tournament.

You've taken a Fulham Under-19 side to one of the biggest youth tournaments in the world, what can you tell us about the Dr Pepper Dallas Cup?

Well, it's arguably the best-known tournament around, certainly for one that brings so many teams from different continents and cultures together. It was first founded in 1980, so the Dallas Cup is also one of the oldest too. It stretches right across the globe, and understandably there are a lot of teams from North, Central and South America that take part, but also, some of Europe's most respected and successful clubs. The competition is high, and it is something that we'll take very seriously. As National Under-18 Academy Champions, we'll be there representing the Barclays Premier League, so that's a great honour.

You've also been given the honour of opening the tournament against last year's winners Coritiba of Brazil in the famous Cotton Bowl Stadium on Sunday...

And that's exciting – it's a real privilege. We've been drawn in Group B, and open the Dallas Cup Gordon Jago Super Group against Coritiba – which promises to be a fascinating game. They have an excellent pedigree at youth level and, like most Brazilian teams, will play with flair, imagination and no shortage of skill and technique. I think it will be a match of game-changing moments, so hopefully we can take our chances and make the most of the opportunities that come our way. As ever, we will try and keep the ball and open teams up, that's how we approach every game that we play. Our group also comprises of Eintracht Frankfurt and LA Galaxy – so it's a real mix. Every team gets the opportunity to play in the Cotton Bowl, which is nice, but we get the honour of playing the first game there. It's a very famous stadium and has hosted many top sporting events, including the 1994 World Cup Final. It holds a 92,000 capacity, although I don't expect it to be full to the rafters come Sunday. But that said, I know that Fulham have a big following in the States.

It's certainly an exciting group to be part of, what is the competition like in the rival groups?

Well Group A features Manchester United, who got to last year's Final, as well as Kashiwa Reysol of Japan, Club America of Mexico and local side Dallas Texans. We actually faced Club America in a tournament in Switzerland not too long ago, so depending on how things go for both sides it would be interesting to renew acquaintances with them again. In Group C, you have Danish team Aalborg BK, Toronto FC, Fluminense of Brazil and the second Mexican side Tigres. The winners from each group progress through to the Semi-Final along with the best runner-up. There is a second Under-19 competition, which features a variety of representative teams, including ones from Lewisham College and the Royal Navy. Below that, the tournament includes Under-17, Under-16, Under-15, Under-14 and Under-13 teams as well.

The Super Group is named after Gordon Jago – who coincidently was a former Fulham coach...

Yes, it's an interesting story actually because he was a coach at the Club during the days of Johnny Haynes and George Cohen - if I'm correct it was towards the end of the 1960s. I think he worked at Queens Park Rangers and Millwall too, before going to America to work with Tampa Bay Rowdies. He then went on to Dallas Sidekicks, and settled in that part of the country to this day. He's well known for his work in the game and even received an MBE from the Queen in 2006. I'm sure it's nice for him to have us there and we'll look forward to meeting him.

As an Academy you're committed to providing our young players with different experiences within the game. What do you hope to take from the trip to Dallas?

Well it's totally different from anything we've done before. Sure, we take our teams to various overseas locations, but none have been quite as far. We will be away for 12 days, we'll travel across a different time zone and get used to a change in weather and overcome jetlag. Very rarely will we get the chance to face so many different styles of football, and that will be a great test. We play at 10am on the Sunday, and then again at midday on the Monday. Usually the boys would get more time to rest and recover, so that's another adjustment. It will be a period of fresh challenges and fresh experiences, but that's what development is all about.

As an Under-19 tournament, presumably there will be a few of the older boys involved in the trip too?

Yes, and because it is an Under-19 tournament we have had to reconstruct the team slightly. Whilst the squad is made up of a majority of Under-18 players, we'll also take Sean Kavanagh, Jack Grimmer, Ronny Minkwitz, Ryan Williams, Lasse Vigen Christensen, Dino Islamovic and Charles Banya, who are all regulars of Kit Symons' Under-21s. Saying that, most of those boys were part of the Under-18 team that were crowned national champions, so they played their part in getting Fulham to the tournament in the first place. It's an interesting group, and we have high hopes, providing they gel quickly. We'll be looking for the older boys to take responsibility, while for the 16 and 17-year-olds amongst the group it's a chance to play a step above what they are used too. It will be a different process for each and every player.

Over the years the Dallas Cup has also been a competition that a number of the game's top players have graced. It's a great platform for our boys isn't it?

Most definitely, it has a great history in showcasing the talents of some of the best young players around. I was out there as a representative of the Premier League in 2008 when Liverpool lifted the trophy. From that team, the likes of Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing and Dani Pacheco have all gone on to play for the first team, while many others have gone on and done well elsewhere. Further back the likes of Raul, David Beckham, Brian McBride, Michael Owen, Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe, Ledley King, Michael Carrick and even Clint Dempsey have also played in the tournament. We hope a few of our boys will go on to be recognised outside of the Dallas Cup too.

Domestically, your boys have impressed greatly and are, now, without doubt one of the leading academies in the country. There's a feeling that you're going out to Dallas to further underline your credentials...

Look, we want to do well in every competition that we're part of and we'll do our best to get the results that we want. If our players can reproduce the kind of form that has been a key feature of both the Under-18s and Under-21s of late then we know that we have a chance of doing well. On our day we're a very capable team, we just need to show that consistently over a short period of time over the coming week. As mentioned, Liverpool won the tournament five years ago, and Manchester United reached the final last year. Nottingham Forest and West Ham United are also amongst the previous winners, so English clubs have done well in the past. Like everyone else, I'm looking forward to seeing how we get on because it promises to be an exciting feast of football.

Fulham's Dallas Cup Under-19 squad: 1. Max Oberschmidt, 2. Josh Passley, 3. Sean Kavanagh, 4. Stephen Arthurworrey, 5. Jack Grimmer, 6. Ronny Minkwitz, 7. Ryan Williams, 8. Lasse Vigen Christensen, 9. Cauley Woodrow, 10. Muamer Tankovic, 11. Charles Banya, 12. Marek Rodak, 14. George Williams, 15. Emerson Hyndman, 16. Solomon Sambou, 17. Dino Islamovic, 18. Daniel O'Reilly, 19. Jordan Evans, 20. Cameron Burgess, 21. Noe Baba, 22. Lyle Della Verde.