Started by White Noise, April 29, 2010, 10:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Click on the link and there is also a radio interview with MAF to listen to -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8650669.stm

Fulham owner Al Fayed says Hodgson will remain as boss

By Dan Roan

BBC sports correspondent 

Mohammed Al Fayed is confident Roy Hodgson will remain as Fulham manager despite suggestions he could become a target for England or rival clubs.

"I don't think he'll leave me," said Cottagers owner Al Fayed.

"I'm sure he'll have lots of approaches from other clubs but I give him anything he wants to reach results and we have a good relationship."

Current England boss Fabio Capello is contracted until 2012 but there is talk he could quit if he wins the World Cup.

Liverpool could also be searching for a new coach in the summer if Rafael Benitez leaves or is sacked.

As for Hodgson, his stock has risen hugely this season after guiding Fulham to the brink of the Europa League final.

The Londoners face Hamburg in the second leg of their semi-final on Thursday, having drawn the first game 0-0 in Germany.

"I think it's a great achievement for a manager who I respect immensely," Al Fayed told BBC Sport. "He's a maestro, the way he trains the players and makes them want to win.

It's not easy, it costs lots of money, but it's a pleasure to see a club come up from the third division to reach this level

Mohammed Al-Fayed
"To build the team who have the will to win is a tremendous achievement and I'm very happy, I'm very grateful and I respect him immensely."

Hodgson, 62, became boss of Fulham at the end of 2007.

The former Switzerland and Finland manager kept the Cottagers up that season before steering them to a stunning seventh place in the Premier League in his first full campaign in charge.

They currently lie 12th after another solid season, a far cry from 1997, when Al-Fayed bought the club as they languished in the old second division.

"I have great satisfaction," said Al Fayed. "It's not easy, it costs lots of money, but it's a pleasure to see a club come up from the third division to reach this level. I'm very satisfied."

With 19 goals this season, Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is in contention for England's World Cup squad, and Al-Fayed believes he should go to South Africa.

"Of course, definitely," said Al Fayed. "Capello would be very wise (to take him)."

Al Fayed was the first foreigner to buy a Premier League club, and the Egyptian-born businessman said he was saddened by the plight of Portsmouth, who recently became the first top-flight club to enter administration.

"I feel sorry for Portsmouth and I hope it is an example to others," said Al Fayed, adding: "I don't think the Premier League and the FA are doing enough to help clubs. I always voice my complaints in meetings."

Since his takeover of Fulham in 1997, the Cottagers have accumulated debts of £167.7m, most of it owed to their benefactor.

"Ambition and common sense have to go together," he added. "It's a problem for any foreign owner to not appreciate that they own a British football club."

When asked if a salary cap would help football finances, he said: "I don't think it's the right thing to do. Players are like movie stars, if you score you deserve. You can't put a limit on that."

Logicalman

How can you not just love MaF, eh?

The Equalizer

Good article, but "Al Fayed was the first foreigner to buy a Premier League club" isn't strictly true is it?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

finnster01

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 29, 2010, 10:31:24 AM
Good article, but "Al Fayed was the first foreigner to buy a Premier League club" isn't strictly true is it?
Not sure what you mean by that Mr EQ.
He bought the club in 1997 when we weren't in the Prem. But if you look at the foreign owners of any Prem club, he is the longest serving.

So if that is what you mean, you are indeed correct. It is a bit ambivalent isn't it?

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

If Roy wants to leave he will leave. Thank goodness there are no doubts about Big Al.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mofulham

I thought MAF supported a salary cap

The Equalizer

Finns, that's exactly what I mean. We were in the 2nd Division when he bought us. Was he the only foreign owner in 2001 when we started in the Prem?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Tom

Great news!!!  :54: :54: :54:
Fulham for life!

jarv

The best bit in the article was about Capello quitting if England win....ha ha ha....about as much chance as me turning out for Fulham next week (I was an ok player in the 70s).