News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Most Fulham Internationals (past or present)

Started by valdeingruo, March 27, 2013, 04:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valdeingruo

Watching USA v Mex i saw that Dempsey, Johnson and Salcido were on the pitch, with Kasey Keller in the booth, this got me thinking. How many internationals with Fulham connections have you seen on the pitch at once?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

Forever Fulham

Statistically, that really is impressive.  Fulham!

BestOfBrede

I have no idea but would have thought a N.Ireland V Rep Of Ireland match, when Sanchez was our boss, would be difficult to beat? 

TonyGilroy

We currently have 25 full internationals on our books (I've just counted) which must be a record certainly for us and conceivably in the League generally. Have Chelsea or ManU got more?

cmg

I'm fairly sure USA on at least one occasion fielded a side with Keller, Bocanegra, Dempsey and McBride and maybe one other (Lewis?).

cmg

Having now had the opportunity to check the data: On 22 June 2006 USA started Keller, Boca, Eddie Lewis, McBride abd Dempsey against Ghana. Eddie Johnson came on as sub and Pantsil played for Ghana to complete the Fulham-fest.

HatterDon

On a side note, Salcido has completed his remake from a LB to a creative central mid. He's every bit the Mexican Danny Murphy now, and is doing an excellent job springing Dos Santos and Chicharito with long, accurate passes.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

valdeingruo

Quote from: HatterDon on March 27, 2013, 02:17:14 PM
On a side note, Salcido has completed his remake from a LB to a creative central mid. He's every bit the Mexican Danny Murphy now, and is doing an excellent job springing Dos Santos and Chicharito with long, accurate passes.

I was a bit suprised seeing him start there at first, however watching that match i can see why.

Baider

I had such high hopes for Eddie Johnson, every time he played he continued to just let me down :(

HatterDon

Quote from: Baider on March 27, 2013, 02:32:12 PM
I had so high hopes for Eddie Johnson, every time he played he continued to just let me down :(

As did many of us. He's a good player with a good attitude, but his talent didn't reach Premiership level. I'm pleased to see that he's doing well for club and country back in the US, though.

valdeingruo

Quote from: HatterDon on March 27, 2013, 02:34:16 PM
I had so high hopes for Eddie Johnson, every time he played he continued to just let me down :(

As did many of us. He's a good player with a good attitude, but his talent didn't reach Premiership level. I'm pleased to see that he's doing well for club and country back in the US, though.

It was a bit strange with Altidore coming off, however hes held his own as of late.

ron

I had such high hopes for Eddie Johnson, every time he played he continued to just let me down :(

At least you couldn't fault his consistency !

Forever Fulham

Eddie Johnson.  It's like he was never really on the team to me.  If you're a forward you have to either score or assist.   If you aren't doing either for the team, you should sit.   Isn't it that simple?  I've seen two types of forwards--selfish and selfless.  The selfless striker does most of the grinding dirty work, and is content to set up his teammate for the goal.  He gets the assist; and it isn't lost on the manager and teammates.  So, if you aren't putting it in the net, are you at least getting a healthy number of assists?  I heard Eddie Johnson was rebuilding his career somewhere in the States--northwest, I think.  Seattle maybe.  He never seemed to have the first touch needed to create immediate breathing room between himself and the closing defender.  Plenty of speed, but...

HatterDon

Quote from: Forever Fulham on March 27, 2013, 09:43:47 PM
Eddie Johnson.  It's like he was never really on the team to me.  If you're a forward you have to either score or assist.   If you aren't doing either for the team, you should sit.   Isn't it that simple?  I've seen two types of forwards--selfish and selfless.  The selfless striker does most of the grinding dirty work, and is content to set up his teammate for the goal.  He gets the assist; and it isn't lost on the manager and teammates.  So, if you aren't putting it in the net, are you at least getting a healthy number of assists?  I heard Eddie Johnson was rebuilding his career somewhere in the States--northwest, I think.  Seattle maybe.  He never seemed to have the first touch needed to create immediate breathing room between himself and the closing defender.  Plenty of speed, but...

That's a fair assessment. He's quick and very strong, but he doesn't have the touch of Premier League player. He tried hard and worked his ass off, but at the end of the day you have to have the talent. The pace of the Prem is such that defenders are used to it -- that took Eddie's best advantage away. Due to the heat here in the summer, the pace of the MLS is slower and he can cope better.

jmh

Did that USA team with McBride and Dempsey and Bocanegra and Lewis and Keller and Johnson ever play against Northern Ireland with Hughes and Baird and Davis and Healy?

cmg

Quote from: jmh on March 28, 2013, 04:43:37 PM
Did that USA team with McBride and Dempsey and Bocanegra and Lewis and Keller and Johnson ever play against Northern Ireland with Hughes and Baird and Davis and Healy?

I do not believe that these two great nations have ever met on the football field.

However on 28 May 2005 England defeated USA by 2 goals to 1 in Chicago. USA featured  Keller, McBride and Bocanegra, Sven used AJ and the immortal Zat Knight. Dempsey scored for USA and both England goals were scored by Kieron "Remember Me?" Richardson.

jmh

Quote from: cmg on March 28, 2013, 05:58:57 PM
Quote from: jmh on March 28, 2013, 04:43:37 PM

I do not believe that these two great nations have ever met on the football field.

However on 28 May 2005 England defeated USA by 2 goals to 1 in Chicago. USA featured  Keller, McBride and Bocanegra, Sven used AJ and the immortal Zat Knight. Dempsey scored for USA and both England goals were scored by Kieron "Remember Me?" Richardson.
Good find!  How random that those three English players (with 18 caps between them) would have all played in the same match that Dempsey scored his senior international goal.

Artful Dodger

Quote from: HatterDon on March 27, 2013, 02:34:16 PM

From what I saw, his talent didn't reach Conference level - unless we are talking comedy value!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae